Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 15:10   #9421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Thats quite interesting. I didn't know something like this is done. Isn't it a bit incorrect if so though? It means if we are going fast, its okay to blind oncoming traffic! Thats just not right road etiquette. Auto headlamp leveling should only be an equation of car's laden weight & rear sag.

Unless of course you drove so fast that aerodynamic drag pushed your car down enough for it to level the headlamps upwards .
Don't feel like responding to the joke.

Anyways, here it is from the Octavia brochure -
"AFS (ADAPTIVE FRONTLIGHT SYSTEM)
The system is automatically activated by the light sensors, which switch the headlights on in low light conditions. The AFS headlight control system changes the geometry. of the light beam, adapting the light pattern on the road to different driving situations. like: Load,Steering angle, Rain and Speed.The AFS optimises illumination and enhances safety by enabling quicker response to obstacles. It gradually shifts the light patterns
so that it does not disturb the driver."
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:20   #9422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Don't feel like responding to the joke.
The "you" in my post wasn't specifically directed at you. Meant anyone driving a car with such a system. So no offence meant.
Quote:
"AFS (ADAPTIVE FRONTLIGHT SYSTEM)
The system is automatically activated by the light sensors, which switch the headlights on in low light conditions. The AFS headlight control system changes the geometry. of the light beam, adapting the light pattern on the road to different driving situations. like: Load,Steering angle, Rain and Speed.The AFS optimises illumination and enhances safety by enabling quicker response to obstacles. It gradually shifts the light patterns
so that it does not disturb the driver."
Yes I searched the brochure meanwhile & found this too. Seems more of a marketing lingo than technical information (as usual). I'm really interested to find how it works. Will keep searching. I'm not denying that it exists at all. My point is - its wrong to adjust beam level based on speed - if its done that way. The primary purpose of headlamp leveling is clear & is legally binding -

When a car is laden - the beam points upwards and into the eyes of oncoming traffic. The leveling is to be used to lower it again at the right point.

If these car makers start pointing it upwards just because car is going faster and driver wants to see farther - what about the oncoming traffic being blinded?
Sorry for the
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:48   #9423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
My point is - its wrong to adjust beam level based on speed - if its done that way. The primary purpose of headlamp leveling is clear & is legally binding -

When a car is laden - the beam points upwards and into the eyes of oncoming traffic. The leveling is to be used to lower it again at the right point.

If these car makers start pointing it upwards just because car is going faster and driver wants to see farther - what about the oncoming traffic being blinded?
It doesn't point the beam upwards, Reinhard. It spreads it out using the projectors. The LED projectors are able to move up, down, left, and right. The controllers make use of this motion to spread the beam out based on the parameters that adimicra shared in his post. I have had my Octavia for about 50 days now, and I love how it modifies the light spread on the road based on those parameters. Helps one drive with much more confidence at night. The brochure explains this with pictures too, of how the beam pattern changes.

It does not in any way blind the oncoming traffic, not unless you switch to high beam that is.
VivekCherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 09:37   #9424
Senior - BHPian

This is what the VW manual says -
"Dynamic headlight range control - .. The headlight range is automatically adjusted to suit the vehicle load level as soon as the headlights are turned on".

So, it's clear that this feature does not adjust the headlight based on other factors like speed, unlike the headlights for Octavia (claimed). It's till a useful feature I feel as I have always forgotten to adjust the manual headlight leveler in my 15 years of driving experience only to realize that during driving, which is inconvenient and unsafe.

Last edited by adimicra : 26th October 2019 at 09:38.
Old 27th October 2019, 00:03   #9425
Senior - BHPian

I had a busy day with my new car today.

First, I had the car washed and treated with Meguiars synthetic sealant at a nearby car detailing shop. I think they did a pretty good job and the car looks nice and shiny
The shop claims it should easily last 6 months with good care. I plan to apply a coat of Meguiars Ultimate Quik spray wax once a month to maintain the shine and protection.

In the afternoon, I got the Sensairy TPMS installed and setup with the mobile App. The results seem to be pretty accurate.

Overall, a day well spend
Couple of pics -

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191026_113850.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-sensairy-tpms-.jpg

Last edited by adimicra : 27th October 2019 at 00:05.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 16:58   #9426
BHPian

Quote:

Let me know if you are able to find out a solution. Otherwise, will have to use high beam in certain situations though I dont want to.
Finally found a solution to adjust the LED headlamps in Vento HighLine Plus variants and GTI too I guess - manual one for now. The manual adjustment is a DIY and is a screw based adjustment very similar to cars with simple halogen setup.

Please note that you may need a Allen key for the doing the adjustment.

So there are three adjustments that can be made :

- Height for the lower beam
- Height for the high beam
- Angle for the lower beam

There are three screws (2 of them - high beam and lower beam angling have funnel kind of thing which can help to rotate, for low beam height Allen key is required)

Attaching the pictures for specific location of the adjustment screws. The marking on them are also self-explanatory of the purpose.

Allen key needs to be routed via the hole provided to access the adjustment for the low beam height.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_9700.jpeg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_9698.jpeg  

Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:59   #9427
Senior - BHPian

Questions to Vento owners -

1> What kind of underbody protection is there in the Vento, if any? Is there are original or aftermarket accessory which can be fitted to improve the same?

2> What's the recommended tyre pressure for full and partial loads? I am currently running with 32 on the front and 30 on the rear.

The car is a blast to drive particularly in sports mode. Overtaking is a breeze and it really pushes you back to the seat when you put pedal to medal (I dont care about running in, .
Also, I am getting a better understanding of the steering and I can now push it a bit harder though the steering does not provide a lot of feedback. But, handling is no more of a concern and I think I can have a fair bit of fun throwing the car around corners.

I am planning to order the auto headlamp switch from ALiexpress with an inbuilt light sensor. Let me know if anyone has fitted the same?

Few small things which I am appreciating coming from a Honda -
  • NVH is way better even at triple digit speeds. I had considerable road noise in my Jazz at those speeds but even with the Goodyear tyres, I am not finding much noise inside the Vento thanks to the full wheel cladding on both front and rear wheels. (both City and Jazz does not have it)
  • All AC controls have individual adjustment for the air flow and also each of them has vertical and horizontal adjustments as well which makes it really comfortable as per your needs.
  • Windows can be rolled down from the remote, very helpful when the car is parked outside in a sunny day.
  • All button are backlit (red color) - all power window switches, mirror controls, boot opening, AC and defogger controls, central locking etc etc. - these looks lovely and is very convenient when traveling during night. Thanks for not cutting cost here, which most manufacturers do.

-----------------

Few things I don't like -
  • The suspension makes a huge thud sound when there is a big pothole or the road height changes abruptly. It feels like the wheels will come off, I don't know if its an issue with my car but it feels bad and cheap in such a well-built car.
  • I still can't forgive VW for skimping on any sort of leatherette/fabric on the doorpad armrest area - simply not acceptable.
  • Vento will only appeal to people who puts driving pleasure above create comforts or bling. So, why not provide it with 6 airbags and paddle shifters to make it a better package? Along with that, add full LED tail-lights, LED turn indicators and auto headlamps and you have a superb driver oriented package in this segment. And yes, I intentionally left out the push button start as I think it is absolutely useless feature and does more harm than good.

Last edited by adimicra : 3rd November 2019 at 08:06.
adimicra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 22:14   #9428
BHPian

Quote:

1> What kind of underbody protection is there in the Vento, if any? Is there are original or aftermarket accessory which can be fitted to improve the same?

2> What's the recommended tyre pressure for full and partial loads? I am currently running with 32 on the front and 30 on the rear.

The car is a blast to drive particularly in sports mode. Overtaking is a breeze and it really pushes you back to the seat when you put pedal to medal (I dont care about running in, .
Also, I am getting a better understanding of the steering and I can now push it a bit harder though the steering does not provide a lot of feedback. But, handling is no more of a concern and I think I can have a fair bit of fun throwing the car around corners.

I am planning to order the auto headlamp switch from ALiexpress with an inbuilt light sensor. Let me know if anyone has fitted the same?

Few small things which I am appreciating coming from a Honda -
  • NVH is way better even at triple digit speeds. I had considerable road noise in my Jazz at those speeds but even with the Goodyear tyres, I am not finding much noise inside the Vento thanks to the full wheel cladding on both front and rear wheels. (both City and Jazz does not have it)
  • All AC controls have individual adjustment for the air flow and also each of them has vertical and horizontal adjustments as well which makes it really comfortable as per your needs.
  • Windows can be rolled down from the remote, very helpful when the car is parked outside in a sunny day.
  • All button are backlit (red color) - all power window switches, mirror controls, boot opening, AC and defogger controls, central locking etc etc. - these looks lovely and is very convenient when traveling during night. Thanks for not cutting cost here, which most manufacturers do.

-----------------

Few things I don't like -
  • The suspension makes a huge thud sound when there is a big pothole or the road height changes abruptly. It feels like the wheels will come off, I don't know if its an issue with my car but it feels bad and cheap in such a well-built car.
  • I still can't forgive VW for skimping on any sort of leatherette/fabric on the doorpad armrest area - simply not acceptable.
  • Vento will only appeal to people who puts driving pleasure above create comforts or bling. So, why not provide it with 6 airbags and paddle shifters to make it a better package? Along with that, add full LED tail-lights, LED turn indicators and auto headlamps and you have a superb driver oriented package in this segment. And yes, I intentionally left out the push button start as I think it is absolutely useless feature and does more harm than good.
Thanks for the detailed review. I have been exploring options as well. In Delhi, the dealer is offering discount in the range of 1 lac on 1.2 tsi highline plus on very initial discussion. It would be really helpful if you can shed light on the range of final offers you had got. It would help me understand what I should be looking at I go with this car.

P.S. I feel 1 lac is on the lower side.
Old 17th November 2019, 15:14   #9429
BHPian

Quote:

Boss,

Below are my pointers with regards to Volkswagen Vento ( I have a high line diesel model - March 2012 make with 1,65,000 kms on odo) -

1) all My vento got was a soft cloth type protection for area around sump & that too got off after few hits during an early drive to hills in Uttarakhand. I spoke to the service center guy and he told me that all Vento models post 2015 make come with a plastic guard which covers the full engine. I have seen it during servicing of some other cars at the service center and the costing is around ₹10,000 /-

2) when I am the only person in Car( which is 80% of the time) or in city driving - I prefer 31 psi in all tyres. Whereas on highway driving and generally with full load - I prefer 33 psi in all tyres.

However, as I have mentioned above, mine is a diesel model with 1.6 TDI engine. The suspension setup sound is age old issue in Vento & has been constantly quoted by other members too. I handle it by going extremely slow on spead breakers 🙂.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 23:09   #9430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidR View Post
Thanks for the detailed review. I have been exploring options as well. In Delhi, the dealer is offering discount in the range of 1 lac on 1.2 tsi highline plus on very initial discussion. It would be really helpful if you can shed light on the range of final offers you had got. It would help me understand what I should be looking at I go with this car.

P.S. I feel 1 lac is on the lower side.
As I understand, the Polo GT TSI and Vento TSI models with the 1.2 TSI engine + DSG gearbox are the best selling models for VW as the engine-gearbox combo is the USP and probably best in class. So, there are bigger discounts on the 1.6 petrol manual and the 1.5 diesel models.
You should be able to get a discount of 1.25-1.5 lakhs on road. For me, I included the 5th year extended warranty and zero-dep insurance as part of the deal instead of a straight discount (I think overall it should be around 1.5 lakh considering the value of the add-ons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Boss,

Below are my pointers with regards to Volkswagen Vento ( I have a high line diesel model - March 2012 make with 1,65,000 kms on odo) -

1) all My vento got was a soft cloth type protection for area around sump & that too got off after few hits during an early drive to hills in Uttarakhand. I spoke to the service center guy and he told me that all Vento models post 2015 make come with a plastic guard which covers the full engine. I have seen it during servicing of some other cars at the service center and the costing is around ₹10,000 /-

2) when I am the only person in Car( which is 80% of the time) or in city driving - I prefer 31 psi in all tyres. Whereas on highway driving and generally with full load - I prefer 33 psi in all tyres.

However, as I have mentioned above, mine is a diesel model with 1.6 TDI engine. The suspension setup sound is age old issue in Vento & has been constantly quoted by other members too. I handle it by going extremely slow on spead breakers ��.
Wow, thats a lot of miles you have covered. Congratulations
So, you are saying that my car should have plastic engine guard. I will check with the service person during the 1 month service. I am not sure if there's a difference between petrol and diesel models.

I am also driving slowly over bigger speed breakers or potholes. Though the car is low, I have no issues with GC so far.

Crossed 700 kms on my car. It has been a pleasure, still learning to use the full potential of the TSI-DSG combo. The acceleration in sports mode is amazing and it pushes you back to the seat. Though it is great for overtaking, I just do it for fun on empty roads

Mileage so far -
City: Heavy traffic=7-8 kmpl, moderate traffic = 10-11 kmpl, light traffic = 12-13 kmpl.
Highway: speed around 110-120 kmph = 16 kmpl.
Due to the 7 speed gearbox, this car can return awesome mileage even in triple digit speeds on the highway and it feels extremely relaxed at 100-120 kmph. All these are based on the MID. I have no intention to check the mileage based on the full tank method as I don't care about 1-2 kmpl.

PS - I did a night highway drive of 80 kms on the Hyderabad ORR. This is probably the best situation to check the headlight as it is a 8-lane highway with no lights (in this section). The low beams are not adequate if you are traveling at more than 80 kmph. The illumination from the LED headlights are very good but the throw is short. I will try to see if it can be adjusted (but I am worried to tinker as it has auto headlight level adjustment). Once I switched on the high beams, the visibility was excellent and I could drive with confidence at 100-120kmph.
I have also ordered the auto headlamp switch with in-built light sensor from aliexpress. Should come with a week or two. Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by adimicra : 17th November 2019 at 23:21.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:30   #9431
Senior - BHPian

I went for the 1 month service/checkup this weekend for my Vento TSI. I must say that the VW service center was highly unprofessional compared to my experience with Honda A.S.S. I think the people there are trying their best but there is lack of basic processes and mechanisms. They kept me waiting for 45 mins though I had an appointment, the lounge area is a small dingy place where one won't even like to spend 5 mins. The washing/cleaning quality was poor as well as they left lot of some chemical residue on the glass and I had to clean it later in the evening midway during my drive. Also, they put newspapers on the footwell area.

Hard to believe this is top automotive company in the world. No wonder people go to other brands. On the positive side, they gave a small car care kit as a gift (worth 431/-) consisting of a shampoo, windshield washer fluid, MF cloth and sponge.

My main intent of going in person for the service was to check the underbody and apply an engine guard, if needed. Please find below a picture of the underbody. As you can see, there is decent protection for the sump (left of the exhaust system in black color) but the transmission is exposed. According to the service manager, there is no additional protection needed as he said he has not seen any major damage to the transmission in his experience. He also said that damage to the transmission can happen only if it's a very high impact incident but otherwise, it would be fine.

I also checked out a Vento diesel which has the additional underbody protection. The service manager said that's mainly because of the additional parts in diesel like the intercooler etc.

I asked for the cost of fixing the engine guard for my car and was given a quote of 18-20K for the same, which I found very high. Also, they refused to share the part number saying that it is not an official part of my car. Need help with the following -
<1> Does it make sense to go for the additional underbody protection?
22> Can the TDI owners share the part number and cost? I also believe this guard was also available in 2015-16 Vento and Polo TSI cars but later removed due to cost cutting.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento_underbody.jpg

Another observation - I measured the height till the center of the rear wheel for a Vento highline (185/50 R15) and HL plus (195/55R16) and found that the HL plus sits ~10mm higher which should mean that it has higher GC. More details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4699222 (Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

Last edited by adimicra : 25th November 2019 at 10:32.
Old 7th December 2019, 01:25   #9432
BHPian

Hello Everyone, recently I have purchased 2019 Vento TDI DSG (Highline Plus). The showroom guys mentioned that, for the new face lift model, the regular mud flaps won't fit. They said even they are still waiting for the same and once they receive, they will inform me.

Just wanted to check if someone purchased the new 2019 face lifted Vento, have you received mud flaps or are you also still waiting for the same just like me.
Old 7th December 2019, 08:38   #9433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
They said even they are still waiting for the same and once they receive, they will inform me.
Yes, I purchased the 2019 MPI Highline and I was told the same about the mud flaps. Even I thought they just might be out of stock, now reading your reply makes me believe them.
Old 7th December 2019, 22:44   #9434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
Hello Everyone, recently I have purchased 2019 Vento TDI DSG (Highline Plus). The showroom guys mentioned that, for the new face lift model, the regular mud flaps won't fit. They said even they are still waiting for the same and once they receive, they will inform me.

Just wanted to check if someone purchased the new 2019 face lifted Vento, have you received mud flaps or are you also still waiting for the same just like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartik5477 View Post
Yes, I purchased the 2019 MPI Highline and I was told the same about the mud flaps. Even I thought they just might be out of stock, now reading your reply makes me believe them.
Guys, I have been waiting for the mudflaps for the last 1.5 months or so. Finally, received the same today and got it fitted at the dealership. Also, got the sunblinds fitted for the rear windows and the windscreen, which was promised as free accessory during the delivery. A brand like VW is not even ready with a basic accessory for their cars which is hard to believe.

One more update - I got the auto headlight switch from aliexpress. Unfortunately, it does not fit the highline plus as the connector is different. I should have checked beforehand. Anyways, its just lying with me and therefore, if anyone wants to buy the same, let me know. I am willing to give it at cost price. This one has the light sensor in the switch itself and the finish is matte silver(similar to Vento OEM switch) and not chrome
Old 8th December 2019, 00:18   #9435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have been waiting for the mudflaps for the last 1.5 months or so. Finally, received the same today and got it fitted at the dealership. Also, got the sunblinds fitted for the rear windows and the windscreen, which was promised as free accessory during the delivery. A brand like VW is not even ready with a basic accessory for their cars which is hard to believe.

One more update - I got the auto headlight switch from aliexpress. Unfortunately, it does not fit the highline plus as the connector is different. I should have checked beforehand. Anyways, its just lying with me and therefore, if anyone wants to buy the same, let me know. I am willing to give it at cost price. This one has the light sensor in the switch itself and the finish is matte silver(similar to Vento OEM switch) and not chrome
Can you please post a picture of the switch and the connector. I might pick it up from you. I have a Polo GT and the connector may fit. Also post the link from where you bought it so that I can check for compatibility with the Polo.

Most Viewed