Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 14:35   #931
BHPian

The recent shoot out between ANHC and Vento Petrol says by zigwheels says that Vento Petrol gives a mileage of max 8.82 kpl in city driving conditions as compared to City's 11+. If this is the case, then it would definitely mean a lighter wallet...
Honda-City-vs-Volkswagen-Vento,Buy New Cars, Used Cars, Auto News and Reviews India - Zigwheels.com
Old 20th October 2010, 15:26   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
The recent shoot out between ANHC and Vento Petrol says by zigwheels says that Vento Petrol gives a mileage of max 8.82 kpl in city driving conditions as compared to City's 11+. If this is the case, then it would definitely mean a lighter wallet...
Honda-City-vs-Volkswagen-Vento,Buy New Cars, Used Cars, Auto News and Reviews India - Zigwheels.com
I would agree to the Petrol mileage claimed by zigwheels

The test drive vehicle at one of the Dealers is giving a mileage of 9.2 kmpl (claimed by him). So Diesel makes more sense
Old 20th October 2010, 15:49   #933
BHPian

Guys, did anybody paid the booking amount using a credit card? The dealer in Hyderabad was fine with it last week but when I called him today to book the car, he told me that only cheque and DD is allowed. Not sure what has changed.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:53   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@vidyabhushan:
with Vivek. In fact, I am in a similar situation as you: not a big fan of the ANHC and the diesel Vento has had so much praise directed its way that I really had to convince myself that the petrol version was worth it.

But in the end, I TDed all 3: the Vento diesel, Vento AT and ANHC AT and now I am reasonably comfortable with my final choice: the Vento AT. My reasoning is that with a 15,000 km service window and (inshallah) good German reliability, I won't have to deal with the VW A.S.S. much (and even then, in Mumbai-Pune I have a whole lot of them to choose from). More importantly, I *must* have an AT. Have been dreaming about it since I was a kid, my driving pattern (similar to yours, BTW) is ideally suited for it, and let's face it: my knees aren't geting any younger!

The biggest reason for hesitating is the running cost difference. But with an average of 1500 km/month, I did a rough savings calculation, which you may find helpful. Have assumed 70-75% ARAI mileage as actual and cost of petrol and diesel is ex-Pune. The % savings that diesel offers cannot compare to the petrol AT (since initial investment is almost same for these models there is no fixed cost to recover either). So the only thing to consider is the annual savings, plus of course any incremental maintenance costs that a diesel would require over a petrol AT.
Attachment 440290

In my case, all said and done, I *probably* wouldn't mind shelling out the extra moolah every year for the sheer comfort that a slush box offers (and savings in medical bills in future, perhaps!). In your case, you need to consider the additional cost of the ANHC AT as well, so you may find it a little easier to make the decision.

All the best!
Thanks Noopster... I think your maths really clears up things...
I havent TDed Vento AT, only the MT of petrol and diesel Highline. Honda's engine refinement is unmatchable... I liked the Vento engine and would be booking a highline diesel next week...
Old 20th October 2010, 22:44   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyabhushan View Post
Thanks Noopster... I think your maths really clears up things...
I havent TDed Vento AT, only the MT of petrol and diesel Highline. Honda's engine refinement is unmatchable... I liked the Vento engine and would be booking a highline diesel next week...
Only thing if you are ready with a 5 month waiting period

I am trying to cope with that
Old 20th October 2010, 23:50   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Guys, did anybody paid the booking amount using a credit card? The dealer in Hyderabad was fine with it last week but when I called him today to book the car, he told me that only cheque and DD is allowed. Not sure what has changed.
The dealer would have to shell out service charges to the card company which could vary from 1.5% to 2.75% of the amount charged. For a car dealer that could easily translate into a four figure amount. Cheque and demand drafts are free of any such deductions.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:03   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
I don't think the dealers generally allow credit card payments for the car. However they do allow it for accessories.

When I made the final payment, there was a small amount outstanding to the dealer. I tried to pay by credit card and I was told they would charge 3% extra for that transaction. Needless to say, I paid by cash.

What must have changed is that the Sales Executive who spoke to you may have been informed about this in between your two conversations.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:56   #938
BHPian

Thanks guys. But I did offer to pay 2% extra charge. It was initially confirmed but when the time came to book the car they are backing out.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:11   #939
BHPian

Since I am new to Diesel engines, I am looking for some clarification about some unusual behaviour of the car. While driving when I take the foot of the accelerator the car does not seem to slow down for quite some time and eventually I will have to depress the clutch and apply the brake to slow the car. At other times I have also noticed that from stationary the car moves forward in 1st or 2nd gear when i lift my feet gradually of the clutch pedal without having pressed the accelerator and it does not stall. Is this normal? I have driven only about 500kms in my Vento.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:22   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
Since I am new to Diesel engines, I am looking for some clarification about some unusual behaviour of the car. While driving when I take the foot of the accelerator the car does not seem to slow down for quite some time and eventually I will have to depress the clutch and apply the brake to slow the car. At other times I have also noticed that from stationary the car moves forward in 1st or 2nd gear when i lift my feet gradually of the clutch pedal without having pressed the accelerator and it does not stall. Is this normal? I have driven only about 500kms in my Vento.
As far as the car starts moving from stationary is concerned it is absolutely fine as the idling RPM in Diesel engines is a little higher than the petrol engines. I have seen this in Indicas, Scorpios and even in Merc-GLK.

On the speed query, I am not sure... Is this because of the turbo ? Maybe experts here can throw some light on it. The only reason I can think of is: If we have to idle for about 30-60 sec before we can start / stop the engine, because the Turbo takes that much time to cool down (to be read as reduce the RPM) then I guess the same implies while reducing the speed, even when you take your foot off the accelerator, the Turbo might be still running and it only takes a while for the turbo to cool down. Pressing the clutch and the brake would disengage the engine from the wheels and hence the speed would start coming down
Old 21st October 2010, 15:22   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, While I do not know the technicality behind Diesel engines, this phenomenen is normal. Just to compare my Scorpio climbs a 45 degree ramp in 1st gear without the accelerator being depressed without getting stalled.
Old 21st October 2010, 16:32   #942
Senior - BHPian

Hi MSD63,
The fuel supply is controlled by the accelerator & then the governor. Probably its the design of the governor in Vento that the fuel supply is not cut off abruptly when you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal. However in order to stop the car, once you have lifted your foot from the accelerator pedal, press the brake pedal. Press the clutch pedal only when you feel that the engine may die unless you downshift. Pressing the clutch pedal first & then the brakes is not a good practice, as this cuts off the transmission from the engine & the car becomes a free wheeling body, you don't get any kind of engine braking assistance & your brakes are far overloaded to bring the car at a halt.
Your second observation @ the car moving forward in 1st or 2nd gear when you lift your feet gradually of the clutch pedal without having pressed the accelerator and it does not stall, is quite normal. This is due to the higher torque available in lower gears.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:06   #943
BHPian

Relief to know that there is no fault with the car. I must say that the car has fantastic torque both in high and low gears. Overtaking in 3rd gear is really fun and I like the way the car responds quickly with the turbo kicking in early leaving other cars well behind. The throaty sound is enjoyable compared to my previous petrol cars. Bangalore city FE is around 13.5.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:17   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, While I do not know the technicality behind Diesel engines, this phenomenen is normal. Just to compare my Scorpio climbs a 45 degree ramp in 1st gear without the accelerator being depressed without getting stalled.
slightly OT
Most of the entry-level SUVs like Scorpio (any may be some of the bigger siblings) are not designed to climb a 45 degree incline and that too without pressing accelerator

You are overestimating the incline by some margin though it is a well-known fact that diesel engines move pretty briskly without pressing the accelerator

Last edited by adimicra : 21st October 2010 at 17:24.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:24   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You have been driving cars without any torque till date my friend!

Most of the diesel engines show this behavior. Forget that, my 1.2 Palio petrol can be moved from standstill in first gear and then shifted to 2nd without touching the gas pedal.

Our old Zen-D was capable of even climbing a small incline (not 45 degree) with AC and 4 guys on board, without pressing gas pedal.

Now my Punto is capable of moving forward in first, then second and even into third gear without pressing accelerator, if I want it to!

Last edited by clevermax : 21st October 2010 at 17:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks