Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2019, 20:45   #9481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You can't. There used to be a movement sensor based theft detection system in the earlier Vento models which was done away with later on.

You'll have to change the headliner for this and install a different variant of the cabin light unit.
Thanks @Gannu_1.
I have been going through your threads about DIYs on Polo and I must say those have been extremely useful.

I will be keen to hear any recommended mods from you for my Vento
Old 21st December 2019, 21:40   #9482
BHPian

Guys, a noob query - which would be a good apple car play system for 2012 highline Vento TDI. It came factory fitted with RCD 310. Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 16:34   #9483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I had an issue with my Fan, its bearings were jammed and itself was moving front and back and was hitting the frame. It used to stop turning after sometime. This resulted in AC turning off with engine temperature rising (checked with OBDII data and it was very high). Got the fan replaced at FNG and although the fan works fine (with more noise for some reason), AC still turns itself OFF in heavy traffic. Even I need to get it checked with the same friendly FNG. Not sure what else could be wrong.

Its really bad when AC goes off on ORR here since that's where my office is. Going back in the evening is fine and so are drives to Mysuru etc. Too many issues on the car cropping up. Planning to put OBDII scanner and see the temperature today evening and see.
Hi Shiva,

Were you able to get this resolved?

Will help a ton to understand what was causing this. Really don't want to change the car

Cheers!
Ashish
Old 10th January 2020, 00:11   #9484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

I also checked out a Vento diesel which has the additional underbody protection. The service manager said that's mainly because of the additional parts in diesel like the intercooler etc.

I asked for the cost of fixing the engine guard for my car and was given a quote of 18-20K for the same, which I found very high. Also, they refused to share the part number saying that it is not an official part of my car. Need help with the following -
<1> Does it make sense to go for the additional underbody protection?
22> Can the TDI owners share the part number and cost? I also believe this guard was also available in 2015-16 Vento and Polo TSI cars but later removed due to cost cutting.
Hi there, I would highly recommend getting an underbody cover, as has been the experience with me. I was driving on village roads at dusk and I managed to miss a big boulder and hit the underbody very hard, had it not been the underbody protection cover on place, repairing bills would have easily run lacs had it damaged the DSG gearbox.

My 2019 Skoda Rapid didn't came with underbody cover and I mentioned my displeasure to the sales manager, voila he got one from his scrap yard for free. Minor welding work was required to make bolting points on the chassis, I only paid for the labour work.

Part number is 6RO825902A and it should cost you 5,500/- INR.

Thanks
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 00:21   #9485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Guys, a noob query - which would be a good apple car play system for 2012 highline Vento TDI. It came factory fitted with RCD 310. Thanks
Hi,

I switched to VW 340G, which comes in the latest versions of Vento on my 2011 Vento. Look for links on youtube where dealers sell used ones. I paid 15K.
Worth every penny I would say.

Rachit
Old 10th January 2020, 16:00   #9486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post

My 2019 Skoda Rapid didn't came with underbody cover and I mentioned my displeasure to the sales manager, voila he got one from his scrap yard for free. Minor welding work was required to make bolting points on the chassis, I only paid for the labour work.

Part number is 6RO825902A and it should cost you 5,500/- INR.

Thanks
Thanks for sharing.
I am in touch with my local service station regarding the same. They have provided a quote of 12K - 9K for parts and 3K for labour. I think the quote seems reasonable.

However, the service manager says that it is not required in TSI model as the oil sump is made of iron. In TDI, the oil sump is made of aluminium. I checked the underbody and I don't think the sump will break easily. However, the DSG gearbox is exposed which can get damaged in case of a big shunt. Also, as mentioned, installation requires drilling holes in the chasis. The service manager here says that there is some risk with it if the drilling etc is not done perfectly as there might be rattles in the future. His advice is not to do it as the sump has decent protection already and the DSG won't be damaged unless its a really heavy collision.

I am a bit confused right now if I should go ahead with the installation or not.

Also, another question - In India, did the TSI ever come with the underbody cover? If yes, during which years and when it was removed?

Last edited by adimicra : 10th January 2020 at 16:04.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 16:55   #9487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks for sharing.
I am in touch with my local service station regarding the same. They have provided a quote of 12K - 9K for parts and 3K for labour. I think the quote seems reasonable.

However, the service manager says that it is not required in TSI model as the oil sump is made of iron. In TDI, the oil sump is made of aluminium. I checked the underbody and I don't think the sump will break easily. However, the DSG gearbox is exposed which can get damaged in case of a big shunt. Also, as mentioned, installation requires drilling holes in the chasis. The service manager here says that there is some risk with it if the drilling etc is not done perfectly as there might be rattles in the future.

I am a bit confused right now if I should go ahead with the installation or not.
I don't find service manger's reasoning to be rational that diesels need it and TSIs don't, I also fail to understand why VW had to go through such cost cutting measure.
If time permits, I would suggest you to visit another VW a.s.s. or get into contact with dealers from other city. Reason being- the quote still seems high to me and also the fact that there's no drilling required in the chassis, as was in my case, some additional metal mounts were welded on the chassis and the cover was bolted on the mounts, not on the chassis directly, if they insist on drilling chassis, my piece of advise would be to avoid going that route since drilling would compromise the structural properties for what it was initially designed for.
If you feel so, you may avoid it because almost every other car in that segment and below runs with out an underbody cover and just be careful with our so called roads.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 13:01   #9488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I don't find service manger's reasoning to be rational that diesels need it and TSIs don't, I also fail to understand why VW had to go through such cost cutting measure.
If time permits, I would suggest you to visit another VW a.s.s. or get into contact with dealers from other city. Reason being- the quote still seems high to me and also the fact that there's no drilling required in the chassis, as was in my case, some additional metal mounts were welded on the chassis and the cover was bolted on the mounts, not on the chassis directly, if they insist on drilling chassis, my piece of advise would be to avoid going that route since drilling would compromise the structural properties for what it was initially designed for.
If you feel so, you may avoid it because almost every other car in that segment and below runs with out an underbody cover and just be careful with our so called roads.
I am not entirely convinced by the service manager's logic. Otherwise, I won't be discussing about the same in this thread.

Having said that, I think there are some valid points he makes. I have personally checked the sump - it is made of metal (iron) and looks solid enough. The DSG is exposed though. Most of the accidents which I have read in this forum are related to broken sump and not so about DSG/gearbox. So, unless it's a very heavy hit, I am not sure why we need the underbody protection. It is always good to have but in this case, since I have to fit it additionally, it is always good to be sure if it's worth the additional time, money and risks.
I also checked with the service manager and he confirmed again that it requires drilling holes in the chasis. So, I have decided not to get it done. Will check other VW A.S.S.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 19:25   #9489
BHPian

Hi, can we fit the LED headlamps of the Vento on pre-facelifted Polo/Ameo? I mean the complete headlamp assembly. Also, if someone can share approximate cost for the mod, would be of great help.
Old 16th January 2020, 20:44   #9490
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hi, can we fit the LED headlamps of the Vento on pre-facelifted Polo/Ameo? I mean the complete headlamp assembly. Also, if someone can share approximate cost for the mod, would be of great help.
while the physical geometry may be a perfect fit, I doubt whether the wiring harness between the headlamp assembly and the Body Control Module (BCM) will be compatible. Research well, before you buy/source anything
Old 16th January 2020, 21:05   #9491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
I think I did ask this to the service center and they said No. I think the bumper design is a bit different. We might have to get the bumpers changed too.

But not sure. If you do find out otherwise, do let me know too.

Rachit
Old 18th January 2020, 17:59   #9492
BHPian

I had asked for both the headlamps as well as engine guard & rear bumper. The engine guard and rear bumper are a bolt -on fix, no need for any thing to changed or modified. Cost for engine guard was approx 10K + tax; whereas for LEF headlamps it is not possible as the assembly, harness and size of housing is different, which any service center won't attempt to change. Rear bumper with reflectors (which comes in newer Vento) is approx 8K plus taxes.
Old 18th January 2020, 19:27   #9493
BHPian

Has anyone got rear brake shoes and drums replaced, on oldest models that have imported brakes? Any luck sourcing the drums in the aftermarket?
Old 21st January 2020, 15:02   #9494
BHPian

2nd annual service completed for Vento TSI. Total bill was INR 10001.00. No complaints, regular service with oil change. Got activated needle sweep on ignition ON. Car feel super smooth and cabin is ultra silent.
driveup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:37   #9495
BHPian

The ride on my Highline plus variant with 195/55/R16 is extremely stiff - any suggestions on how we could make it a little better on lower speeds ? I plan to change the OE apollo alnac 4g in hope to make things better.I recently reduced the tyre pressure to 32 from 33 (recommended by VW). What is an optimum tyre pressure anyone would like to recommend for the 16inch alloys for a better ride quality ?

adimicra : Did you get the delivery of the auto headlamps with the newer connector and fix it , how was your experience ? With the upgraded BCM for vento Highline plus (with LED headlights) it might be possible to use the RLS sensors and no need of additional sensor provided with switch. Also, any idea if the Rapid uses the switch with new connectors and if we could use the same one on the highline plus variant ?

Does the upgraded BCM mean it may offer any extra possible modification (AFS,etc) via VCDS for the Vento highline plus variants ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks