Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 15th October 2021, 13:49   #9661
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post

Any pointers what could be the issue? The water pump hasn't been changed till date. The timing kit was changed around 1L km. Otherwise, the car is running like it is new, with stock clutch etc., ! I will take the car to workshop in a couple of days for full check up.

Can I refill the coolant and drive for now (until it is checked soon) ?
It will most likely be the water pump. The water pump seals are known to fail in the 1.6TDI and is usually replaced along with the timing kit.

You need to get this replaced anyway and I bet there's a 95% chance that this was the issue all along.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 17:13   #9662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If there is no coolant on the ground and/or if there is no visible sign in the engine bay, then the coolant is either leaking through the expansion tank or the radiator cap.
Minor leak on the ground. I checked just now. I drove only few kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
If you haven't changed the water pump in all these kms, there's a very high probability it is the culprit here. If it is indeed leaking, the pump will end up spewing corrosive hot coolant on the rubber belt, rollers and ancillaries and you will end up having to change the entire kit again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
It will most likely be the water pump. The water pump seals are known to fail in the 1.6TDI and is usually replaced along with the timing kit.
Topped up with distilled water and drove back. Will visit workshop tomorrow.

Water pump should have been changed when the timing kit was changed around 1L kms, may be?. That was not done.

hypothetically: Now, if the water pump is to be changed, shouldn't the timing belt should also be changed again? (for peace of mind?). Although, it will be a fat bill.

Last edited by stringbh : 15th October 2021 at 17:25. Reason: updated with correct information
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 07:01   #9663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post

hypothetically: Now, if the water pump is to be changed, shouldn't the timing belt should also be changed again? (for peace of mind?). Although, it will be a fat bill.
I believe yes, it will have to be changed again. A friend of mine happened to go through the same thing.
Old 23rd October 2021, 13:17   #9664
BHPian

Drove down to VW Noida today to address a brake squeak issue on my 2020 Vento TSI. The brakes had a slight squeak when not applied all the way (on gradual and sedate braking - seemed to me like an onset of disk warping).

Happy to report that there has been a marked change in VW's service standards here in Noida. Even when I reached the service center at around 11 AM on a weekend (meaning most bays were already full with other vehicles being tended to), I was attended pretty promptly and an SA was appointed to look at my issue pronto. Almost immediately, a technician accompanied me for a test run, diagnosed the issue as the disks acting up due to dust and debris accumulation, and the SA offered a disk cleaning free of cost as a goodwill.

They even hooked up the OBD scan by themselves to look for other issues, and applied the latest software update to the car (they told me later that VW had issued a software update for all 1.0 TSI equipped vehicles, supposedly to improve efficiency).

In two hours flat, I was in and out of the service center with the brakes behaving normally (for now).

Now while all this might sound par for the course for Maruti (or even Hyundai) workshops, VW owners will accept that this is not exactly how we have come to identify VW workshops as over the years.

Not exactly sure if this was a fluke today, but pretty pleasantly surprised with the prompt and courteous service at VW Noida today.

If VW has indeed turned a page on its service quality in its India 2.0 strategy, good on them!
SuvidC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 23:49   #9665
BHPian

With 1.6L KMS and 9 years later, the injector (1.6TDi Motor) issue has reared its ugly head. Sadly, the car is on limp mode. At Bangalore, I contacted couple of VW ASS for parts availability and most have said it would be available post festivals, around 3rd week of Nov due to some internal audits.

Once before, 6 months ago, when a similar symptom had occurred we went to a FNG on the outskirts of Kolar recommended by a good friend. The work done was expensive with some maintenance activity on all 4 injectors and now its failed all over again. May be I was ignorant and I made a mistake and I don't think I'll ever go down the FNG route anymore.

I want to give the car to ASS for the parts to be replaced. I plan to hold on to the car for few more years, the diesels just don't get any better than this.

I need some advice on continental injectors, is replacement the only option or is there another alternative ?

Last edited by no_boundaries : 30th October 2021 at 23:55.
Old 31st October 2021, 11:21   #9666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
May be I was ignorant and I made a mistake and I don't think I'll ever go down the FNG route anymore.

I want to give the car to ASS for the parts to be replaced. I plan to hold on to the car for few more years, the diesels just don't get any better than this.

I need some advice on continental injectors, is replacement the only option or is there another alternative ?
Typical outcome which we get after getting the car tinkered at majority of FNGs, they don't even have proper tools to open so many car models and most of the times they use brutal force and hammers. Opening or installation of the sensitive parts like injectors require properly torqued operations, forget about that at FNG. Even the spare parts they use are mostly just replicas which don't survive longer.

Anyways if you want to save some bucks, which everyone would like to do if there is some reliable option available then you can approach the Bosch outlets for injector related issues.

I remember reading this suggestion in another VAG injector related thread on the forum. Since the injectors are made by Siemens/Bosch, you can get them replaced at some reputed Bosch outlet. It costs almost half compared to the VW/Skoda ASS but you don't get warranty of 2 years on replaced part which you get at ASS.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 31st October 2021 at 11:24.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 21:17   #9667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
It costs almost half compared to the VW/Skoda ASS but you don't get warranty of 2 years on replaced part which you get at ASS.
That's one of the reasons why I want to stick to VW ASS despite being expensive. Plus I'm hoping some rapport built over years might pay off.

I'm really sad to see the dearth of options for upkeep of the mechanicals on this engine even if one wants to hold on to the car, really wish the ASS would do a better job at this and not see these cars as another near to grave cars.
Old 5th November 2021, 10:41   #9668
BHPian

7.5 years and 1.14 lakh kms. Still can't believe these figures are actually possible. All thanks to Kerala speed limits and diesel prices. This girl can drink and go on a diet as you wish.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20211104_211913.jpg

Last edited by Turbohead : 5th November 2021 at 10:44.
Turbohead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 21:08   #9669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
Have any of the vento owners here parked their car for an extended period of time? Like more than a couple of months? In bit of a fix here because of the pandemic. My car has been parked at my house for close to 20 months now, yes 20!
An update on this, unsolicited but nevertheless. Finally got to the car after almost two years! Had talked to my dealer about this & they had send over their guy to help out. We had to jumpstart as the battery barely had any juice left. Everything else was all good. Have to get a new battery and ac doesnít cool anymore. Drove back to my hometown ~30kms & the car did perfectly fine. Will have the car thoroughly checked & get new fluids maybe when I take it back to the dealer to get the aircon fixed but for now itís all good.
TSIboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 22:56   #9670
BHPian

Quote:
May be I was ignorant and I made a mistake and I don't think I'll ever go down the FNG route anymore.
I'm afraid that's a bit unfair on the FNG. The FNG only "serviced" the injectors and if history of VW injectors is to be invoked, owners post 2012 had tough times when the ASS themselves used to do same type of 'service' for the injectors. It's basically a stop gap solution at least as far as VW injectors are concerned and one should not expect a "good-as-new" experience. Why, if I can remember correctly, even "new" injectors had issues sometimes back then. I believe VW/Skoda had warranty based replacements carried out too.

All in all, when you have injector issues, the best thing is to get them REPLACED with new ones or then have them repaired with genuine spares if the injector technician knows what he is doing, to have better peace of mind. Also, you can go directly to the injector repair shops like Bosch etc if you're sure it indeed is an injector issue. No need to go to an FNG. Correct me if I'm wrong, fellow Bhpians.
Old 7th November 2021, 20:07   #9671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I'm afraid that's a bit unfair on the FNG.
The VW ASS evolved from this however the FNGs I feel are still milking on this so called servicing.
Also you can still hold VW ASS accountable for work done on the car, the FNG not so much (at least in my experience). He doesn't even respond to my calls. In hindsight, the money if I had paid to VW ASS they would have replaced it and I could've saved some more money, time and put the car to use.

Again, I don't want to generalize coming from my limited experience and like I said before, the rapport factor with any FNG is crucial when it comes to servicing old German cars. I didn't have one and I don't think I'd be able to find time to invest in one. I didn't know any better and I would hope the FNGs would give that prognosis in what is best for the vehicle and options with calculated risks which I've consistently got from VW ASS.

Lesson learnt and I agree with your point, a replaced injector is plenty peace of mind rather than servicing one.
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 22:38   #9672
BHPian

Quote:
The VW ASS evolved from this however the FNGs I feel are still milking on this so called servicing.

Again, I don't want to generalize coming from my limited experience and like I said before, the rapport factor with any FNG is crucial when it comes to servicing old German cars.
Lesson learnt and I agree with your point, a replaced injector is plenty peace of mind rather than servicing one.
All FNGs can't be considered to be equally pathetic or good for that matter. There are some very good ones out there too. The key is finding and confirming a proper one. On hindsight, I notice you didn't share details on exactly what type of service was carried out in your case and what changes/component replacements were done. I guess you didn't get into the nitty gritty.

That said, I think a lot depends on the type/brand of injector in question. Some brand injectors used in other cars can be successfully serviced/repaired and subsequently run perfectly for years afterwards. That, however is not the case with the Vento/Rapid ones as it's a known fact that they had inherently problematic ones which had to be changed finally for a proper solution.

Hope you are enjoying the ride currently.
Old 7th November 2021, 23:46   #9673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Hope you are enjoying the ride currently.
I agree.

Not yet, the car is on limp mode and I'm scheduled with VW ASS - PPS motors, Bangalore tomorrow for a check and fix. Hope they resolve it and fix any other issues. I plan to take the car to Pune with me and use it there.

I just absolutely love this car and I feel so confident behind the wheel, I really don't want to let this car go.
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 20:01   #9674
BHPian

Quote:
I'm scheduled with VW ASS - PPS motors, Bangalore tomorrow for a check and fix
I dropped the car off at VW ASS PPS Motors today. Due to their workload post festivals, they will be taking up the diagnosis of the car on Wednesday and confirm the plan of action. If the issue is indeed injector failure, they say they can place an order for the parts by 11th and wait for 10 business days for the parts to arrive and then they'd be able fix in 2 days post that. Overall the downtime is very high and I'm really not happy with parts situation for the Vento. This is a bigger issue as its the only car in my garage.

I love this car and I really want to keep it however the parts, service and handling is making me very apprehensive off late. My resolve is being tested.

Hope the experience in Pune ASS might be better. Any pointers please ?
Old 8th November 2021, 23:17   #9675

Hello Guys,

With a lot of WFH happening was wondering if servicing my 2013 Vento TDI
(ie: Oil and filter change) is a DIY.

Does it need any special equipment or can I do it myself ? - Is there a thread detailing the procedure ?

I've crossed 160000 glorious kms in this beauty, and I feel it would do well if I increase the intervals between oil changes.

Thank you.

Most Viewed