Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2022, 14:44   #9691
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I have a Vento TSi 2014, approx 65K Kms run. i believe I have a steering rack change coming up. So this is a very common problem in ageing VWs. Can please anyone help me out with the aprroximate cost of replacement of the the parts? Also is there a better alternative than the Vw one?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 31st January 2022, 15:24   #9692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVirage View Post
I have a Vento TSi 2014, approx 65K Kms run. i believe I have a steering rack change coming up. So this is a very common problem in ageing VWs. Can please anyone help me out with the aprroximate cost of replacement of the the parts? Also is there a better alternative than the Vw one?
I got the steering rack assembly replaced during my Vento's 90,000 km mark service routine (the odo was just over 80k).

The steering box itself costs Rs. 10,390 but it comes with a set of few other items including mounting & other components which cost another Rs. 2700. The labor for this replacement activity is at an additional Rs.2,200.

Overall, the steering box replacement set me back by Rs. 15,000 and some small change. Got this done at the authorised dealership (BU Bhandari, saw you are in Pune too).

Didn't try to look out for FNG options since this was an important part to be replaced.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:46   #9693
BHPian

The armrest on my 2011 Vento highline MPI is broken. Basically the handrest has come off from the body thanks to my daughter. VW are quoting me close to 7k on the item. I am wondering if an almost oem like item is available in the aftermarket?
I have seen few options online but as with most China made items I want to tread with caution!
Also, any suggestions for bumper repair in Navi Mumbai/Mumbai area. My rear bumper has a minor crack which is not really an eyesore, but would like it to be gone. Again VW said they can't do bumper repairs as it's plastic so some good FnG/ detailing places suggestion would be very welcome!
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:01   #9694
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in Advance!
As far as I remember the steering rack of my 1.6 tdi was replaced 3 years ago for around 20k from VW.

Aftermarket you can get it replaced for 10k(had read this in vento owners group on facebook )
Atharva4545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 18:49   #9695
Sen
BHPian

Any suggestions for what good options for Brake Discs and Pads are for replacing the OEM ones? My discs have started becoming noisy (no shuddering yet) when braking from high speed, I'd like to reinforce the braking performance of the car.

Any opinions welcome!
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:52   #9696
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in Advance!
Ah, I have 2011 MPI trendline. Suspension and Rack has given away.

Ride is damn rough and clanking noise is evident on the inside while going on rough patches.

VW ASS Gurugram quotes 36K inclusive of Steering Rack + both FR shocker replacement.

Please let me know what charges are you imposed.
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:52   #9697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
Ah, I have 2011 MPI trendline. Suspension and Rack has given away.

Ride is damn rough and clanking noise is evident on the inside while going on rough patches.

VW ASS Gurugram quotes 36K inclusive of Steering Rack + both FR shocker replacement.

Please let me know what charges are you imposed.
Definitely, I will let you know. The reason for my question above was - to me a rack replacement at 65K is too early. Hence, wanted to know if there is something of superior quality at approx. the same cost.

For struts & control arms - I believe TRW ones are at par if not better then VW ones. If fact i was reading in one of the threads the 16 inch front strusts are better then the pre 2016 ones.

@JoshMachine Thank You so much! I believe we met at BUB when you got your steering rack replaced. Thanks for the quick reply - Made me book an appointment at BUB immediately! Cheers
MartinVirage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 09:34   #9698
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely, I will let you know. The reason for my question above was - to me a rack replacement at 65K is too early.
Wait till you hear our odo reading, we just managed to cross 30k last month
Old 6th February 2022, 11:46   #9699
BHPian

My 2016 Vento TSI has done only 40000 kms and was only a month away from the expiry of the add on warranty for the sixth year. It was due for the annual service and the SA informed me that the steering rack needs replacement. I got it done under warranty and now the ride has become smooth with no rattles from the front.
Makes me wonder whether I should go for the add on warranty for the seventh year, considering the DQ200 gearbox, which has served me well so far.
Old 6th February 2022, 13:58   #9700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
Makes me wonder whether I should go for the add on warranty for the seventh year, considering the DQ200 gearbox, which has served me well so far.
I guess you are wondering because of low running. But you still should get that add on warranty, if it’s not too high. Especially with the DQ200 gearbox. It might look like a wasted investment but insurance looks like that, and hope that you do not have to use it.
Old 6th February 2022, 16:35   #9701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2016 Vento TSI has done only 40000 kms and was only a month away from the expiry of the add on warranty for the sixth year. It was due for the annual service and the SA informed me that the steering rack needs replacement. I got it done under warranty and now the ride has become smooth with no rattles from the front.
Take that add-on warranty eyes closed. From what I last heard, it should cost you approx. Rs 17k. If the DQ200 troubles you, it will cost easily 6-8 times this warranty cost.

And these days, VW seems to be running some sort of benefit plan for this, please do check out their website.
Old 6th February 2022, 17:57   #9702
BHPian

Quote:
It is an expense when you pay for it, but you feel good when you don't pay anything from your pocket for repairs.

My car is of the same vintage, exactly at 41k kms. Couple of weeks back, a solenoid worth 8K was replaced completely free of cost, under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20220206175415.png  

shifu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 15:05   #9703
BHPian

Facelifted my 2011 Vento TDI to 2021

Flashback to 2010,
We had a 1998 zen which was driven around 1.5lakh kms and were looking to buy a new car as the zen had a few breakdowns.

We had only one criteria that it should be a diesel car as at that time the petrol prices were very high

VW had just launched the Polo and my dad was impressed with the build quality and overall car but was disappointed with the 3cylinder engine. So the next car we checked out was the Honda Jazz,it was very spacious considering it's size but was on the pricey side and as it was petrol so we decided to look for other cars.

Then in 2011 VW launched the Vento. My dad was blown away by the pickup and overall dynamics of the car so we decided to go ahead with the Vento. We made the booking in April 2011 for the highline variant (as we did not wish to do any aftermarket fittings)and terra beige color. There was a 6month waiting period.

We got the delivery on 20th October 2011 and the total price paid was 11.5lakhs.

So over the next 10 years we had a *touchwood* great experience with the car with 1 breakdown, and *touchwood* satisfactory experience with the A.S.S. As of now the odometer reading stands at 1.48 lakh kms.

Fast forward to Sept 2021,
The car met with a minor accident in which the front bumper, front grill, right fender, rear bumper and tailgate were damaged. So we decided to facelift the car and get the whole car painted (overcoat).

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-1.45.31-pm-2.jpeg

I kept the logo with me
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-1.45.31-pm-1.jpeg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-1.45.31-pm.jpeg

As everyone know that the Polo/Vento has one of the worst light throw we also decided to fit the double barrel headlight as it has a separate bulb for high beam. The SA also said that double barrel can be easily fitted.

This is how the car looked on its 10th birthday
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.13.07-pm-1.jpeg

Then when the car was ready I was asked to come to check the car
I found that the SA had fitted the blackened single barrel type headlight
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.05.45-pm.jpeg

So on that day I ordered an adapter for 2k Rs from Offgrid customs and I got it the next day which I gave it to the SA. (no promotion)
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.08.54-pm.jpeg

After a few days the car was ready and this is how it looked.
The service center (Mody Thane) also kept a small ceremony where we were given a new car like delivery experience.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.13.07-pm.jpeg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.13.37-pm.jpeg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.17.22-pm.jpeg

The overall cost for facelift (without full car overcoat) will be around 40k including the headlights which cost 14k. I feel that instead of the double barrel I should have gone for the hid projector in the previous setup. However the double barrel type headlight are much better than the previous setup.

This is how the headlights light up when in low beam
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.43.46-pm.jpeg
Low beam + fog. The throw is a bit weird, I tried to adjust using an allen key but still no difference.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.43.46-pm-3.jpeg

In high beam the low beam also turns into high and a new bulb lights up.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.43.46-pm-1.jpeg
High beam + fog
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.43.46-pm-2.jpeg

The throw feels good when seen in insolation but when there is an upcoming vehicle it is a a bit difficult to see.

Here the high beam and fog is on (sorry for the blurry pic)
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220207-2.59.34-pm.jpeg
Atharva4545 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 20:32   #9704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
I got the steering rack assembly replaced during my Vento's 90,000 km mark service routine (the odo was just over 80k).

Didn't try to look out for FNG options since this was an important part to be replaced.
Is this replacement only done at a specific odo reading?

Or do some cars need one earlier?

Quote:
We have a 2018 Vento AT, at speeds less than 5kmph i.e. only while reversing and parking and turning the steering from lock to lock or a substantial amount of degrees, I can hear the steering creaking as the wheels turn. Our parking space is a basement with pavement blocks if that somehow affects the noise.

There is no problem when driving normally and the steering feels precise and tight. The ODO is at 39k km.

The car is still under the standard 4 year warranty. Do I need to point this out and get it replaced under warranty like you have done?

Or is this normal? Our other two cars don't have this creaking and I can't recall if the vento has developed this over the last 6 months or was always like this. We shifted from a tarmac parking to a basement parking last year and I have been hearing the creaking ever since.

Should I carry out some tests on a road surface to see if the same can be heard or is this creaking a sign of a steering rack needing replacing?
Old 8th February 2022, 21:31   #9705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
Is this replacement only done at a specific odo reading?
Or do some cars need one earlier?
It all depends on the condition of the steering assembly.
My Vento's assembly setup held up till about 80k km. However, I have seen people change theirs at half this odo reading also.

For your problem, I would suggest to try it out in different situations, specially U-turns at slow speeds and at slightly increased speeds also.
If the creaking noise is unreasonably high (subjective, ofcourse) or you have the slightest hesitation, please visit the dealer and get it checked.
Having a warranty in hand, will surely give peace of mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks