Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 10:43   #9706
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
Is this replacement only done at a specific odo reading?

Or do some cars need one earlier?

We have a 2018 Vento AT, at speeds less than 5kmph i.e. only while reversing and parking and turning the steering from lock to lock or a substantial amount of degrees, I can hear the steering creaking as the wheels turn. Our parking space is a basement with pavement blocks if that somehow affects the noise.

There is no problem when driving normally and the steering feels precise and tight. The ODO is at 39k km.

The car is still under the standard 4 year warranty. Do I need to point this out and get it replaced under warranty like you have done?

Or is this normal? Our other two cars don't have this creaking and I can't recall if the vento has developed this over the last 6 months or was always like this. We shifted from a tarmac parking to a basement parking last year and I have been hearing the creaking ever since.

Should I carry out some tests on a road surface to see if the same can be heard or is this creaking a sign of a steering rack needing replacing?
Better get it checked while the car is still under warranty. One doesn't expect creaking sounds while turning the steering wheel.
Old 9th February 2022, 14:04   #9707
BHPian

Hi All,

Need some advice. I was in look out for a used Vento TDI DGS and 3 days before got one. 2017 Feb High line, genuine 58 k run. Exchanged my 10.5 yr old Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX which had done 142k. Wallet lighter by 3.5 lacs. ( 6.5 lacs- 3 lacs) Not sure if the deal is ok, but does not matter much if the used car is in good condition.

I took it in spite of being aware of the DSG issues through this forum. No first hand experience though. Now I find few DGSs are near/crossed 1 lac km, which gives me confidence.

I have done 200 km so far in Vento, mix of city & highway. When wife took rear seat in the morning, she could not believe her ears. Reaction- what kind of sound is this inside the cabin. She remarked instantly that I have been cheated by the used car dealer with a faulty car. Such was the difference in noise between Verna & Vento. I am driving AT for the 1st time. Quickly adopted to it.

Since the car is new to me, please give important pointers which I need to take care.

My findings/queries-

1. For starting the car, twisting force I need to apply is much more than Verna. Is it normal?

2. The dealer change the engine oil with Wurth 5w-30. Is it ok?

3. What's the engine oil capacity. I could not find the data in the manual.

4. In AC, when I switch on recirculation mode, the fan speed is increasing slightly and then I am getting a kit-kit kind of sound somewhere from the glove box. What could be the problem? It's irritating sound and therefore I am not using recirculation mode.

5. AC cooling is not as good as Verna. Is it possible for low gas pressure ? I never had topped up AC gas in my 10.5 yr old Verna. Have you ever need to top of gas in our car?

6. In the manual, it has been mentioned that engine oil consumption is approx 1 lit per 2000 km or so, which is astonishing . What's your experience?

7. Ride quality is way better than Verna.

8. Out side sound insulation is almost same as Verna, but engine clatter is way more, which dies down after some time, but not a match against Verna.

9. I am a fan of silent cabin. Which engine oil & other things can help me?

10. The ex-owner has done 60 k service. In voice is available in the car.

11. Current tyres are 185/60/R15- Alnacs. Should I upgrade to 195/60/R15 which will provide additional grip & GC of 6 mm.

12. Do you face GC related issues?

4th day of ownership, and I faced the first problem today morning. The remote unlock did not work. Then I opened the car manually with the key, but the car did not start. Opened the bonnet & found the battery indicator white/clear meaning the battery has been completely drained. How can this happen overnight? The Exide battery is only 2 months old. Possibly this has happened due to some wiring/electrical issues. I am damn sure that no cabin light, fog lamp etc were on during the night. Even I think these things should auto stop after sometime.

Any pointers please. Never ever any such problem happened in my 10.5 yr old Verna. Have I taken a wrong decision of going for 2nd hand Vento replacing 1st hand Verna?

Cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 10th February 2022 at 07:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:20   #9708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I was in look out for a used Vento TDI DGS and 3 days before got one. 2017 Feb High line, genuine 58 k run.
Congratulations on your purchase. Its a rare car. Maintain it well by following service schedule properly and it wont give you any trouble other than which the previous owner didn't fix.

I have a 11 year old Vento 1.6 TDi and drives like a charm.

Quote:
1. For starting the car, twisting force I need to apply is much more than Verna. Is it normal?
Normal. Japs & Korean are designed to be feather lite.

Quote:
2. The dealer change the engine oil with Wurth 5w-30. Is it ok?
Correct grade is Fully Synthetic Oil 5W-40.

I would suggest you to have it corrected. Would also require to change engine oil filter.

Quote:
3. What's the engine oil capacity. I could not find the data in the manual.
4.3 Litre

Quote:
4. In AC, when I switch on recirculation mode, the fan speed is increasing slightly and then I am getting a kit-kit kind of sound somewhere from the glove box. What could be the problem? It's irritating sound and therefore I am not using recirculation mode.
Would have to get it checked at VW Authorized Workshop to know the cause.

Quote:
5. AC cooling is not as good as Verna. Is it possible for low gas pressure ? I never had topped up AC gas in my 10.5 yr old Verna. Have you ever need to top of gas in our car?
Have it checked at VW Workshop. German car AC are comparatively less efficient at cooling compared to Japs & Koreans.

Quote:
6. In the manual, it has been mentioned that engine oil consumption is approx 1 lit per 2000 km or so, which is astonishing . What's your experience?
This could be observed in TSi Petrol engines. Diesel after the initial run in, do not face it. Ignore it.

Quote:
7. Ride quality is way better than Verna.
Any given day.

Quote:
8. Out side sound insulation is almost same as Verna, but engine clatter is way more, which dies down after some time, but not a match against Verna.
Engine clatter in 1.6 TDi is on higher side. No doubts. But once you close the door, it creeps in very less.

Quote:
11. Current tyres are 185/60/R15- Alnacs. Should I upgrade to 195/60/R15 which will provide additional grip & GC of 6 mm.
Not needed. OEM size if fine.

Quote:
12. Do you face GC related issues?
Only when car is fully loaded driven over unscientific speed breaker. You would like to take it at an angle.

Quote:
Any pointers please. Never ever any such problem happened in my 10.5 yr old Verna.
Have the car towed to VW Workshop and get it checked.

Quote:
Have I taken a wrong decision of going for 2nd hand Vento replacing 1st hand Verna?
Vento is mechanically very sound car and all you need is a proper Workshop mechanic who understands the problem and fixes it.

I have been lucky that VW Autobahn, Turbhe who is Authorized Workshop has been able to do it for past 11 years and never did I have to visit any FNG.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 03:29   #9709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

4.3 Litre

FNG.
Thanks for your detailed answers to all my queries.

If 4.3 lit is the engine oil capacity , then I think a 4 lit pack will be OK.

Which engine oil is best for my Vento TDI. Available online are Castrol edge, Motul Xcess 8100, Shell Helix Ultra etc. Further should I buy a 4L jar. My Verna's capacity was 5.3 lit, but 5L jar was just enough. Is it advisable to keep some engine oil extra for possible top up ?

Last edited by Aditya : 10th February 2022 at 07:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 10th February 2022, 06:12   #9710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which engine oil is best for my Vento TDI. Available online are Castrol edge, Motul Xcess 8100, Shell Helix Ultra etc. Further should I buy a 4L jar. My Verna's capacity was 5.3 lit, but 5L jar was just enough. Is it advisable to keep some engine oil extra for possible top up ?
The best oil in my experience has been Castrol Edge. It is VW 505 01 compliant too (505 00 compliant oils aren't an issue either in all honesty on Indian TDIs). It does command a premium over other oils in terms of price, but I feel it's worth it.

Get a 4L can and another 1L can. The engine will take in around 4.3L or so. Keep the rest for topping up. TDIs generally don't consume oil (nowhere as much as TSIs), but they can sometimes consume around 400-500ml in 8-10K km depending on temperature, driving conditions and driving patterns. It's better to have a can for topping up in such cases.
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 11:49   #9711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If 4.3 lit is the engine oil capacity , then I think a 4 lit pack will be OK.
No. You should always put correct quantity which is 4.3 Litres.

Quote:
Which engine oil is best for my Vento TDI. Available online are Castrol edge, Motul Xcess 8100, Shell Helix Ultra etc.
I would suggest you to have engine oil changed at VW Workshop. They have drums now and put in exact quantity and bill exactly 4.3 Litres only. Some smart Service Advisor round of to 4.5 Litres which when pointed out correct value in bill.

Previously they were using Castrol Professional Fully Synthetic 5w-40 and now moved over to Shell.

Quote:
Is it advisable to keep some engine oil extra for possible top up ?
Not required. I have never needed to top up apart from the initial run in period in 1st year.

How is your car now? Did the battery issue get resolved?
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 17:43   #9712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

How is your car now? Did the battery issue get resolved?
My bad. I had inadvertently left the parking light on overnight resulting in complete drainage of the battery. Exide dealer provided a spare 55 AH battery & my 60 AH battery is being charged with him. With the spare battery, I did a highway run of 150 km today and enjoyed the ride. No electrical issues which I was apprehending. The car is fine, except some rattle from left side door and AC sound in recirculation mode. 58 k is not much of running, and the rear tyres are still originals. The previous owner has changed the front tyres with Alnacs. I am thinking of going for XM2 while replacing the other two tyres. Will different thread pattern pose any problem? Alnacs are good, except being getting noisy after 70/80 kmph or so. Any suggestions on tyre replacement? I am not going to change all four, only two.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 22:50   #9713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The best oil in my experience has been Castrol Edge. It is VW 505 01 compliant too (505 00 compliant oils aren't an issue either in all honesty on Indian TDIs). It does command a premium over other oils in terms of price, but I feel it's worth .
I had also checked that Castrol edge meets the VW specifications. I will surely try this. Does it have any impact on reducing the engine clatter?
Old 10th February 2022, 23:21   #9714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had also checked that Castrol edge meets the VW specifications. I will surely try this. Does it have any impact on reducing the engine clatter?
The 1.6 TDI is inherently clattery. There's very little you can do to reduce that note. Though I have received feedback that Liqui Moly Toptec 4100 is the best oil out there and it does make some difference to NVH. I don't really think it's worth the extra dough though. Won't make a day and night difference.

Stick to Castrol Edge. Its the best oil in my opinion taking into consideration cost, overall life and performance.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 10:35   #9715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will different thread pattern pose any problem?
No

Quote:
Any suggestions on tyre replacement? I am not going to change all four, only two.
Michelin XM2 or Yokohama Earth1 or Continental UC6.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 10:35   #9716
BHPian

Hi!

1100 km done after the purchase. It's smooth sailing till now. The car is in perfect shape. The only thing that concerns me is the DSG reliability. Is there any special care should I take to better DSG reliability, like not revving the engine too much etc.... ? The gear shifting is super smooth now. Now a days, Bhubaneswar authorized service centre is closed. Another showroom is coming up, which may take some time. But, meantime I want to take road side assistance package of VW. How can I take it? Is there any online process?

Thanks

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 20th February 2022 at 10:44. Reason: adddition
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 11:25   #9717
BHPian

I tried online for RSA package, but in Bhubaneswar, no service center is showing in the drop down option, thus not able to proceed further. Nearest authorized service centre is at Kolkata. What can be done? I only need towing to local mechanics operating in Bhubaneswar, in case of any need. Can I choose Kolkata & take a RSA package?
Old 20th February 2022, 12:37   #9718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing that concerns me is the DSG reliability. Is there any special care should I take to better DSG reliability, like not revving the engine too much etc.... ?
You may want to peruse few Do’s and Don’t’s here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4547770 (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 19:50   #9719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I only need towing to local mechanics operating in Bhubaneswar, in case of any need.
I would advise you to opt for RSA Package in your car insurance policy. They charge a mere Rs. 100 for it.

Even I have the same.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 22:30   #9720
BHPian

Has anyone recently got the SVP pack for Comfortline? My brother's Comfortline is due to get serviced next month (01 year). VW Thane has quoted 36K for 05 years, after giving a discount of 5K. Would be greatful if fellow members can guide about
1. How useful is SVP?
2. Whether it's possible to get any further discounts

SA has also told that we have to pay Rs 950 for some consumables like cotton, lubrication spray etc separately. Shouldn't they be covered in SVP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks