Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 00:15   #1096
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
That was quick. Thanks . I don't mind a small difference in ride quality, which I hope will be the case with 205/55 R16. With 205/50 R16, section height is less by 8.5mm. For 205/55 R16, its ~1.5mm more.

Btw, I checked with the dealer and looks like we wont lose the warranty with these upgrades. hope thats true.
With 205/55 R16, the overall diameter increases by almost 5%. The thumb rule is you should stick within 2% while upsizing. With 205/50 16 the difference is only 1.8%. IF you get 205/55 R16 you might have an issue with the tyre scraping at full loads or turns. Frankly if you ask me, I wouldnt go for a wrong upsize.

As long as you stick to the right upsize the dealer cant do anything about the warranty.

Oh, and with 205/55 R16 the ride will be just about the same as stock, since the sidewall is as big.
Old 13th November 2010, 09:29   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

@harishpr- Congrats on your Cruze. VW dealers seem to all be birds of a feather, unfortunately.

However I'd like to point out that I had a very indifferent experience at the Skoda and Chevy showrooms here in Pune when I was trying to schedule TDs for the Laura DSG/ Cruze AT respectively. Incredibly neither of those (both owned by Pashankar Auto) got back to me- in fact for the Laura I followed up thrice before I gave up. So for now my Vento booking stands!
Old 13th November 2010, 15:33   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
With 205/55 R16, the overall diameter increases by almost 5%. The thumb rule is you should stick within 2% while upsizing. With 205/50 16 the difference is only 1.8%. IF you get 205/55 R16 you might have an issue with the tyre scraping at full loads or turns. Frankly if you ask me, I wouldnt go for a wrong upsize.

As long as you stick to the right upsize the dealer cant do anything about the warranty.

Oh, and with 205/55 R16 the ride will be just about the same as stock, since the sidewall is as big.
Thanks Akshay. Will keep that in mind. Hope I will get to see a few ownership reviews and mods before I get my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@harishpr- Congrats on your Cruze. VW dealers seem to all be birds of a feather, unfortunately.

However I'd like to point out that I had a very indifferent experience at the Skoda and Chevy showrooms here in Pune when I was trying to schedule TDs for the Laura DSG/ Cruze AT respectively. Incredibly neither of those (both owned by Pashankar Auto) got back to me- in fact for the Laura I followed up thrice before I gave up. So for now my Vento booking stands!
My experience at VW was good so far. Again it depends on what you expect. I don't like sales folks moving around me when I spend time in the showroom checking different models. I would like them to be around only when I need them. Secondly, I don't like them calling me back asking "Did you make a decision", "Why", "Why not?", etc. If I want it, its on me to get back to them. Now a days, I don't give my number anywhere .

We have driven vento 4 times already and are planning to try Jetta the second time soon - Though there is no plan for any of us to buy Jetta. They had been quite receptive all times though there is some delay because of the number of customers around and I am fine with it.
Old 13th November 2010, 16:40   #1099
Team-BHP Support

The Zigwheels comparision found its way into TOI Crest Today.

Honda-City-vs-Volkswagen-Vento,Buy New Cars, Used Cars, Auto News and Reviews India - Zigwheels.com

Sadly they dont talk of diesel at all and claim City to be the Winner!
Old 13th November 2010, 18:49   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My experience at VW was good so far. Again it depends on what you expect. I don't like sales folks moving around me when I spend time in the showroom checking different models. I would like them to be around only when I need them.
I don't either . And what you described exactly mirrors my own experience at VW Pune.

Quote:
Secondly, I don't like them calling me back asking "Did you make a decision", "Why", "Why not?", etc. If I want it, its on me to get back to them. Now a days, I don't give my number anywhere .
We differ in this respect. When I ask for a TD, I expect a callback from the dealer confirming the time and my availability. When I tell them I am undecided about my booking, I expect an occasional follow-up call (Linkway Honda Mumbai was spot-on this regard). When I book my car and they are unable to commit a date of delivery, I expect an occasional update call; at the very least I expect the dealer not to treat me like I am insignificant when I call and do ask for an update. That's what VW dealers seem to excel in. Beyond a point it gets too annoying to have to identify myself, explain what I've booked, when, what they had told me (yes! they don't remember this either) and what I want from them. Don't they have a CRM system- hell that's asking too much- don't they have a facility to save my number on their mobile? (I usually call one sales rep, on her official mobile, and she NEVER shows any recognition). C'mon it's about treating the customer with a little respect. I have been in Sales and if I ever failed to recognise any of my client managers when they called, they would probably have treated it a major insult. Why should the automobile industry be any different?

In any case, I've broadened my mind sufficiently enough to ignore such minor trifles AS LONG AS they deliver me my car in the required variant, trim and colour in the period they have indicated ("Committed" is too strong a word). I hear a second dealer is being appointed in Pune soon (BU Bhandari) and in any case there is no shortage of dealers in Mumbai to choose from, so hopefully A.S.S. shouldn't be a major issue.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:46   #1101
BHPian

Today I had gone to TD a vento again to make the final choice. I had gone to the Palace Cross VW. Somehow the attitude was not upto the mark. I had called up previously to get a TD vehicle to my home, they flatly refused. I had asked them again before going today and they did not call back. I anyway went bcos it is I who wanted the product. The car is good no doubt, the build is superb and the it feels heavy. I am was comparing it to the T-Jet and here are why i did not choose the Vento
1) the rear seat comfort is less compared to linea T-jet. 3 persons sitting will be a issue.
2) the features is less compared to linea - for almost the same price(linea is more by abt 70K)
3) the engine - no comparision. T-Jet is way powerful.

the only factors tilting towards the vento were
1) VW brand and the money behind it to succeed in india
2) interior build quality.

Though I used to own a VW Jetta in US, made a decision to go for Linea T-Jet.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:55   #1102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Though I used to own a VW Jetta in US, made a decision to go for Linea T-Jet.
After two months of researching between T-Jet and Vento, I too finally booked T-Jet.

My other choice would surely be Vento Tdi.
Old 14th November 2010, 01:40   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
We differ in this respect. When I ask for a TD, I expect a callback from the dealer confirming the time and my availability. When I tell them I am undecided about my booking, I expect an occasional follow-up call (Linkway Honda Mumbai was spot-on this regard). When I book my car and they are unable to commit a date of delivery, I expect an occasional update call;
You should then go with Hyundai / Maruti. I TD Verna recently and the guy kept on calling me for 2 weeks (4-5 calls). I really had to raise my voice to avoid any further follow up calls. They even wanted to know on why I didn't pick Verna. Same with Maruti folks early this year. I some how don't like it.

Quote:
at the very least I expect the dealer not to treat me like I am insignificant when I call and do ask for an update. That's what VW dealers seem to excel in. Beyond a point it gets too annoying to have to identify myself, explain what I've booked, when, what they had told me (yes! they don't remember this either) and what I want from them.
Thats not good. Guess my experience was better. The sales person knows me well and its quite friendly. May be because we end up at the showroom every other week for some TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed
After two months of researching between T-Jet and Vento, I too finally booked T-Jet.
Would be interesting to see how Vento TDI does once Linea 1.6 Diesel is out.
Old 14th November 2010, 02:24   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post

My other choice would surely be Vento Tdi.
It is indeed a very difficult task to choose between Vento D and T-Jet.
Would like to know why did you choose TJet? Maybe a comparo.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:38   #1105
BHPian

With a heavy heart we have cancelled the booking for Vento Diesel Highline.

Reason being that its almost two months now from the date of booking and during this time we have been seriously evaluating whether buying Vento as of now is the right decision. Cash outlays for expected significant investments has had a major bearing on the decision. While buying Vento was always a decision more from the heart, the intervening delay has forced us to listen to the head.

Maybe a couple of years down the line, the heart and head would be in synch.

For now, we are considering Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol Titanium as our budget has been literally slashed into half.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:38   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidino View Post
With a heavy heart we have cancelled the booking for Vento Diesel Highline.

Reason being that its almost two months now from the date of booking and during this time we have been seriously evaluating whether buying Vento as of now is the right decision.
That is indeed very sad Desidino. We can imagine your plight, our heartfelt sympathies. The two months itself that you have waited is quite a long time. Don't know how many more potential customers is VW going to lose. They seriously need to set their production & logistics right, focus there rather than pouring money in marketing. The talking print advertisement, shop floor people weeping over the departing Vento are not going to be of any use if they are unable to make the product available within a reasonable waiting period. Their reel life tears in ads could very shortly turn into real life if they take the Indian customer for granted & make him wait endlessly.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:54   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
That is indeed very sad Desidino. We can imagine your plight, our heartfelt sympathies. The two months itself that you have waited is quite a long time. Don't know how many more potential customers is VW going to lose. They seriously need to set their production & logistics right, focus there rather than pouring money in marketing. The talking print advertisement, shop floor people weeping over the departing Vento are not going to be of any use if they are unable to make the product available within a reasonable waiting period. Their reel life tears in ads could very shortly turn into real life if they take the Indian customer for granted & make him wait endlessly.
That's really true.. But I have been waiting for 4 months now.!
Booked during the last week of July and am expecting the delivery by the last week of Nov (Hopefully). They assured that I would get my car this time. Anyways, I will be calling them next week to check on the date. If they have any excuse this time I think I may react Cos it's raining Ventos in Cochin now. Yesterday itself I saw three 'For Reg' Ventos in just 1 hour near my office. So hoping I would get mine this time around.

Cheers,!
Old 16th November 2010, 13:31   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That's really true.. But I have been waiting for 4 months now.!
Booked during the last week of July and am expecting the delivery by the last week of Nov (Hopefully). They assured that I would get my car this time. Anyways, I will be calling them next week to check on the date. If they have any excuse this time I think I may react Cos it's raining Ventos in Cochin now. Yesterday itself I saw three 'For Reg' Ventos in just 1 hour near my office. So hoping I would get mine this time around.

Cheers,!
Well, i have booked my TDi Highline in September & delivery was promised in the 3rd week of December. Now, I got a call half an hour back from VW West that my car will arrive only after 3rd week of January 2011. Sick! And i asked her what if i cancel, she said you'll have to pay 1% of the ex-showroom price. So i asked her in the same vein, will i be compensated for the delay? And all she could say is NO. Pathetic. Seriously considering the Verna AT now, as i don't want to spend more than 10L & other than the lack of airbags, i don't see any other reason to not buy it as i will upgrade to fatter tyres as soon i get it. Anyway, during this dismal waiting period, i have been seriously considering an automatic instead but dad wants a diesel & in this price bracket of 10L, and no other diesel automatic is available.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 16th November 2010 at 13:37.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:03   #1109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i asked her what if i cancel, she said you'll have to pay 1% of the ex-showroom price.
Anything you ever signed to that effect? i doubt it. Sounds like your right to sue for breach of contract is far stronger than their right to get any money off you.

Don't they realise how extremely bad this sort of thing is for them?

I've decided (been told ) not to be in the market for a new car just now, but still have a glimmer of a dream of a VW. Every time I hear of this sort of attitude, that glimmer gets dimmer: I don't want to deal with people like that.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:13   #1110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Well, i have booked my TDi Highline in September & delivery was promised in the 3rd week of December. Now, I got a call half an hour back from VW West that my car will arrive only after 3rd week of January 2011. Sick! And i asked her what if i cancel, she said you'll have to pay 1% of the ex-showroom price. So i asked her in the same vein, will i be compensated for the delay? And all she could say is NO. Pathetic. Seriously considering the Verna AT now, as i don't want to spend more than 10L & other than the lack of airbags, i don't see any other reason to not buy it as i will upgrade to fatter tyres as soon i get it. Anyway, during this dismal waiting period, i have been seriously considering an automatic instead but dad wants a diesel & in this price bracket of 10L, and no other diesel automatic is available.
Hey.. No way. You dont need to pay any amount for the cancellation. How much did you pay upfront? I was told here during booking that the money is refundable. You can sue the showroom for this as Thad E Ginathom mentioned. Trust me, you dont need to pay for anything. This is a bad strategy by the showroom. God..!

Most Viewed