Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 15:07   #1156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Hello naveen. One of my friends who booked it in August got it by November mid. He booked it at the Trivandrum dealer. So you must get it atleast this month. His was the first highline diesel in Trivandrum.
Do keep an eye on the dealer on how much they charge for the registration (if possible do the registration by yourself) and also do shopping outside for the insurance.
Thanks for the message. I just returned from VW Cochin showroom.
After shouting at them, they finally confirmed the delivery before Dec 10th. My dad knows the Director of the dealer and he himself called the team head and said to give the car to me when the next slot is ready.
He asked me whether I need the base model. If so, he would give it tomo itself. Since am looking for the top model, I rejected that offer.

Anyways, I said that this is my last excuse and in case they miss the deadline I will cancel my booking and go for Cruze.

Since my car is 3rd in the list, I didnt have the mind to cancel it. Also, waited for 4 whole months for the car.

Thanks for the concern. I shall keep an eye out on the registration. Insurance already taken care. Know a guy for that.

Will keep you updated on this.
Thanks a lot buddy.!!

Cheers.!!
Old 26th November 2010, 17:25   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Pulling power --> Amazing, car could climb the 25 degrees parking ramp, on second gear, without touching the accelerator, with 3 three adults inside.
I'm sorry... but I had to comment on this. 25 degrees??? Do you even know what a 25-degree incline is like?? The only way this car (or any other for that matter) could ascend a 25-degree incline with three adults seated and no accelerator input is if it was being pulled by a Range Rover.
Old 26th November 2010, 18:03   #1158
Senior - BHPian

I hope VW is not doing this intentionally. They have shown how incompetent they are with their production when they are not selling that high numbers. Shame on them.
Old 26th November 2010, 18:05   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I'm sorry... but I had to comment on this. 25 degrees??? Do you even know what a 25-degree incline is like?? The only way this car (or any other for that matter) could ascend a 25-degree incline with three adults seated and no accelerator input is if it was being pulled by a Range Rover.
This is a 25 degree incline, I don't think its a big deal for a diesel car to climb it w/o accelerator input.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20402.jpg
Old 26th November 2010, 19:19   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Do you even know what a 25-degree incline is like?? The only way this car (or any other for that matter) could ascend a 25-degree incline with three adults seated and no accelerator input is if it was being pulled by a Range Rover.
Sorry I didn't have a protractor to measure exactly the angle of incline. What I had mentioned was in simple layman terms. As it was the ramp to the podium parking you can imagine how steep it would have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
This is a 25 degree incline, I don't think its a big deal for a diesel car to climb it w/o accelerator input.
Thanks a lot Abhinav for sharing the picture. That is indeed the same incline which I was referring to.
Old 30th November 2010, 14:08   #1161
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan spent a couple of days with the Vento AT. This is what he has to say. Of course, the same post has been added to the first page:

Quote:
The Automatic Transmission Vento. Currently available in petrol only.

The following Vento AT review has been compiled by Rehaan.

The Vento AT has a 6-speed automatic transmission mated to the 1.6 petrol engine. In D mode, up-shifts are very smooth and jerk-free, almost unnoticeable except for a change in engine note. The transmission tends to shift up fairly early, as it has probably been tuned to maximize fuel efficiency. Seeing an indicated 5th gear at about 50 kph is not an uncommon sight. This behaviour makes it a fairly common occurrence for the Vento AT to down-shift one gear (or even two) under mild acceleration. This can get a little frustrating with the slush-box when you want instant go, as the Vento AT is underwhelming in these situations. It really won't get anywhere too fast. Further, the AT & the engine seem a tad strained when made to work hard (pedal to the metal), and can get audible on the inside. However, if you just want to potter around town or slide along with rush hour traffic, the performance of the AT is par for the course, and has a clear convenience advantage over the manual transmission.

“S” mode allows for more spirited driving where the transmission will pull all the way to the redline in each gear. It will, however, up-shift on its own at the redline to preserve the engine & transmission. The same applies for down-shifting when it feels that the RPMs are dropping too low.

Lastly, there is a “manual shift” mode, similar to tiptronic shifting. Move the gear lever to the left while in D position, push forward on the lever to up-shift, and pull backwards to down-shift. Gear changes are fairly quick in this mode, though the Honda City's AT is quicker, and the DSGs are in a different league altogether. Nonetheless, if you want a slightly more involving drive in an AT Vento, this is the mode to use. It holds the gear you specify even when you’re accelerating with a very light foot, and only up-shifts on the redline. If you're one of the more aggressive drivers in traffic, holding 2nd gear in this mode works very well (much preferred to staying in D). With a gentle dab of the throttle, she’ll even start in 2nd without a fuss (1st is a fairly low ratio, geared more towards hill-starts and the like).

To sum up the AT option; if you like giving your car some stick on empty roads, or late at night – this probably isn’t the choice for you. If you drive a lot within the city and at an easy pace, the convenience of leaving your left arm on the armrest and just chilling during the drive can't be matched by the manual transmission version.

The MID has a gear indicator on the top right corner. It also indicates which mode you are in (eg. D1, D2, S1, S2, and 1, 2, 3 for manual):

Notations on the side of the gear lever are always lit, even during the day.
The indicator for the selected drive mode lights up brighter when the lever is in that position:

Press the button on the front of the lever to move it out of Park, or between "R" and "D":

You have to rest your left foot on the carpeted floor, as there isn't any dead pedal provided (a rare automatic car to not offer one):

Additional Points

• Since there is always a slight torque on the brakes due to the AT transmission – you’re much more likely to hear a vibration like moaning sound from the brakes just as you begin to let go of the brake-pedal.

• You really have to pull the handbrake up high, as the automatic drive-train tends to overpower the handbrake unless pulled very firmly.

• Slightly plasticy shift quality of the gear lever itself. Fairly firm to shift.

• A fair deal of vibration can be felt in the cabin at idle, and especially through the brake pedal.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th November 2010 at 18:00.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2010, 14:40   #1162
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Rehaan. I really liked the slushbox on the Vento. After about 150,000 km in an MT car, my left knee is really looking forward to it! I could only TD it in the city so didn't realise the kickdown frustration bit! But I figure will get used to it sooner or later.

One question: a couple of us (independently, in different demo cars) noticed that the brake pedal makes a noise when you release it and start accelerating. Did you notice this also? Or was there a problem with the demo car?
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2010, 15:46   #1163
BHPian

Much needed Rehaan & GTO. Thanks a ton as i was really looking forward to an official team-bhp review. Appreciate it. The things driving me away from the City vis-a-vis the Vento are:

1. The soft suspension in the City is a pain. I drove the City AT with 2 in the back & the Vento albeit MT with 2 people behind. At the same spot, in a bylane in Santacruz, the City bottomed out miserably. The Vento went over without any worry.

2. The City AT was similar to my i10 AT which was giving a slight delay in downshifting during kickdown, but i have not got a chance to drive the Vento AT which is unavailable for TD at VW West Santacruz. Jesal told me there's one available for TD at Prabhadevi so i hope to check it out once i get some spare time.

3. The Vento's sheet metal thickness is much better compared to the City, which is just my opinion.

4. The Vento has ACC which is absent in the City.

5. The high speed stability including highway manners & overall ride quality is superior in the Vento though both fail in the steering feedback compared to the Linea, but that won't hold me back as i prefer EPS due to 99% city driving.

6. Reach & Rake Adjustable Steering in the Vento compared to just the rake in the City. Though its not a deal breaker.

7. Rear A/c Vents.

There are other places where the City wins such as A.S.S., proven reliability, etc. But as of now, the scales are tilted in the Vento AT's favour for me, i.e. if i get an AT soon.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 30th November 2010 at 15:50.
Old 30th November 2010, 17:48   #1164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
...noticed that the brake pedal makes a noise when you release it and start accelerating. Did you notice this also?
Yes. I was actually just on my way to this thread to add the above point along with some others.

When releasing the brake, since there is always a slight torque on the brake due to the AT transmission – you’re much more likely to hear the vibration like moaning from the brakes just as you begin to let go of the pedal. If you get your foot off the brake pedal faster, this is less likely to happen.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th November 2010 at 18:02.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2010, 18:59   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A fair deal of vibration can be felt in the cabin at idle, and especially through the brake ped
You mean in D? I always like to pop it into N for this reason when I'm waiting at a traffic light.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:31   #1166
Senior - BHPian

GTO & Rehaan, what are the performance/ mileage numbers of the Vento AT... just for records sake.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:07   #1167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
When releasing the brake, since there is always a slight torque on the brake due to the AT transmission – you’re much more likely to hear the vibration like moaning from the brakes just as you begin to let go of the pedal. If you get your foot off the brake pedal faster, this is less likely to happen.
Useful tip. Will keep in mind! Thanks Rehaan.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:53   #1168
BHPian

Is it possible to install daytime running LED lights in the Vento without voiding the warranty?
Old 1st December 2010, 02:20   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Is it possible to install daytime running LED lights in the Vento without voiding the warranty?
Just drive with your regular headlights on, I have been doing this especially on undivided highways for years now. You would just have to get used to people waving and gesturing at you for having the lights on. Oh and you would also have to get used to remembering to switch them off too, I do forget once in a while.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:16   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You would also have to get used to remembering to switch them off too, I do forget once in a while.
Thats not a problem since there's an audible warning if you take the keys out of ignition and open the drivers door with headlights on in the Vento. I was looking for the LED's for the looks, like we see on Audi's and BMW's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks