Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Higher Cost?

Reverse Camera/Sensor: Rs. 3000
GPS: Rs. 14000
HU: ~15000

All this totals to Rs. 32000

While an integrated one would cost hardly 20,000. So the cost is less not more.
Hey, I was comparing with VW's upgraded system with bluetooth, which costs something like 9K more than the stock HU - Pay a little more and you'll get a full-fledged, feature-rich integrated system.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:50   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
Where do you get these upgraded?
Check out these threads by bhp'ians:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ighline-4.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-1-6-polo.html

Both of them installed the same Witson HU.
Old 21st February 2011, 23:35   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
Abhinav - any tips on brands/model nos. recommended as well as locations where I can get these fitted?
I would suggest the Witson units as it provides best value for money.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:55   #1579
BHPian

Thanks Abhinav and Sith. Checked out the links, excellent stuff, like the Witson HUs, any idea where it will be available in Bombay? Also, any other higher-end options in Alpine, Pioneer, JBL?
Another question is what do I then do with the old system, scrap it? Not sure someone else will buy it, am sure the dealer won't.

Also I hope no warranty void due to new HU. Sorry for all the questions guys, but want to get this bang right? Also checking with a Blaupunkt dealer I know in Bombay.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2011 at 14:15. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:18   #1580
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nomad View Post
SCOOP: Erratic Delivery Schedule for Vento Decoded

Code is there in the Television Commercial, wherein VW engineer runs after the owner "instructing" (not requesting) him to take good care of the Car.

So as soon as you book a Vento. VW engineer wants to make sure that you are the right person & you will treat the car with same passion with which it was built.

A back ground check is carried out on your driving skills, & past cars. This also explains as soon as you book an Vento, suddendly you see atleast Two Vento's on road every time you move out of your house. They are actually VW spies keeping an close eye on youe movements.

This process takes atleast 3-4 months & depending on their report you either get the car after this or they will give you more time to improve your score so that you can prove yourselves worthy to be an Vento owner.

Attitude of Dealers is also planted, they behave like this because its a plan. One the test you have to pass is to bear with unresponsive people at dealers, as there are other dealers which will line at your door just because you in market looking for a car. This just shows VW that you are ready to go that extra mile to get your self an Vento

This further filters the drop outs who do not want Vento so badly & they cancel their booking.

The purpose of all this process is that Vento reaches the hands of passionate person who will take care of her a VW wants

I hope we all should stop cribing now & try to pass the test asap
Wish I could rate your post a 5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
That kind of fit and finish that i have seen in their first generation cars, are LOST
The Vento is a sedan that starts at 6.99 lakhs ex-showroom. I don't know what you mean by "first-gen cars", but you really cannot expect soft-touch Jetta interiors here. The applicable discussion : Compare the Vento's interiors to the City, Verna, Linea etc.

Quote:
1) Huge panel gaps in all 3 display cars and TD cars seen
Damn, those pictures tell a shocking story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm a VW fan too, but I have to admit that, even when I drove a Golf for a couple of years, around 1990, the legend of "don't worry about expensive spares; you won't be needing any" was already over. Not that it was a bad car, I liked it very much, but it was not niggle-free.
Completely agree. VW's have a poor reputation for reliability today.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:46   #1581
BHPian

[quote=GTO;2253714] Wish I could rate your post a 5 stars.

Thanks GTO, Just came from VW showroom after a showdown when this commercial was aired & the delivery code was decoded.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:49   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hats off to you, Urban Nomad: in your situation I would be seething. Congratulations on turning that into humour.

Oh, and, of course...
When you are frustated & angry beyond a point only way to soothe yourself is to laugh.

Jab aadmi dukhi hota to woh Shayar ban jata hai
Old 25th February 2011, 19:11   #1583
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wish I could rate your post a 5 stars.

The Vento is a sedan that starts at 6.99 lakhs ex-showroom. I don't know what you mean by "first-gen cars", but you really cannot expect soft-touch Jetta interiors here. The applicable discussion : Compare the Vento's interiors to the City, Verna, Linea etc.

Damn, those pictures tell a shocking story!

What i meant with First gen VW's were the way the Passat and Jetta were built. It showed quality and sized up to the price quoted.

About those inconsistent panel gaps and the rest ,Its not only the cars on display or the TD cars, i can show 10/10 such cars parked there with such irregularities or quality control lapses by VW.

Vento does not demand an OTR price of 10 lacs, sorry.

GTO, Just imagine how much shattered i was, when i had to admit and agree about the state of VW quality, which i usually boast everytime, I just could not muster any courage when it came to today's VW as a overall package, I just could not let my cousin buy that car.

I did the comparo of Vento's interiors with the Linea, he was impressed . Then finally i made him buy the Honda City VMT. Vento can no way stand in comparision with the City when it comes to Fit, Finish and Finesse. 10.54 OTR for the Honda City, seems to be APT
Old 25th February 2011, 20:04   #1584
BANNED

How is a 0% dep insurance quote for 29,740 Rs sound ??? TDI Highline vehicle in new delhi. Price after 5% depreciation : 8,49,775.Company is ICICI lombard.

Is this too high or acceptable? thx
Old 25th February 2011, 20:12   #1585
BANNED

GTO, further to my posts, going ON and OFF-Topic.

How does the below pic make you feel.

If you were in my shoes, what would you choose.

Would you eat same priced Cake or the Pastry. I chose the Pastry.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag_2715.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag_2708.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag_2717.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag_2707.jpg  

Old 25th February 2011, 20:32   #1586
Distinguished - BHPian

That's easy, Pavan. I chose the Vento .

Which is a better interior is subjective: I find the City really garish and like th understatedness of the VW. The Honda's exteriors photograph better but in real life I prefer my Veedub!

There is a lot of truth however in your gripes agaist VW's falling standards. I am not happy with the paintwork at the rear of my car, for example. Still, overall I am a satisfied customer, so far.
Old 25th February 2011, 20:38   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would choose the cake for sure! I hate City's interiors! The AC knobs looks like old ceiling fan knobs! Many say ANHC's plastic quality is not great and JAZZ's plastics are far better.

The face, Vento is more Elegant. City's face looks so delicate, one slap and sure it will break into pieces. The Vento's Dashboard is imported IMO. Once localized, I am sure there will be a quality drop cos of cost cutting.

Only thing I HATE is showroom experience and not-proven A.S.S

But yeah, I AGREE that these new Gen VWs are not like the ones you have. They are just another Manufacturer now.

Last edited by funkykar : 25th February 2011 at 20:42.
Old 25th February 2011, 20:39   #1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have generally read you favour the Vento over others in terms of overall choice in this segment.

Isn't this statement contradictory to the extent that the ANHC is proven on this front and having test driven both cars at least twice, I don't see that much of a difference in the fit and finish.

And as PAVAN_KADAM has stated multiple times, there are many issues in the Vento too.

The only fault I find with ANHC is GC (at least personally).

The Vento does have an excellent paint job though, one of the pluses it has. However, it has yet to prove long term durability.

In fact this statement puts (at least) the T-Jet on par with the Vento (petrol/diesel ignored) which has a much improved fit, finish (still lagging Vento, ANHC) and the older FIAT's do not have reliability issues ("latest" being the Palio whose owners are very happy with their cars). Puntos and Lineas are incrementally improving with time, , ageing like wine perhaps?

However, I do think the ANHC is overpriced and needs something more to justify it's current price. Good competition in the coming months should take care of that.
Old 25th February 2011, 21:12   #1589
BHPian

Quote:

Easy for me too, I'd choose the Vento.

Lets put Vento and city in crash test and see which will fare better. Vento is clearly a better build and safer car than some Japanese Pastry
Old 25th February 2011, 22:08   #1590
BANNED

i guess its a great analogy. The pastry (anhc) is just about the frost on the top. But once you go deeper you are left wanting for more. But the cake (Vento) is the cake.Its fulfilling.takes time and effort to bake but is worth the effort

I think Vento lovers have their cake and hope to eat it too (reliability)

Most Viewed