Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 16:52   #1861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
@Svis: Thats an good news. I believe the car deserves it.

I have just completed 1150 kms in my Vento. When I took the car for long drive, the FE was 23.8 kmpl which is very impressive. The ride in long drive was great, most of the time I didn't feel it's crossing 100+. But tried to maintain below 2500 rpm as recommended in the thread,

I have basic doubt, how do I make central lock?. Looks like when you do lock with the button in driver side still others could open the door. I tried to follow the manual to lock all the doors, but couldn't succeed. Any help?
Even if you lock all the doors from the driver side, the passenger can be opened. This is present in the Fiesta/Ikon also. The best possible way to lock are the child locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
My Uncle just bought a Vento.
Great car, though the suspension feels very stiff.
Not that comfortable over poor roads (which are quite common)

anyone else share this view?
That's strange. I thought the suspension is too soft specially the front shocks. Over poor roads, the car tends to be a bit bouncy but not that bad. Overall, the car is good and rear seats are comfortable.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:35   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
My Uncle just bought a Vento.
Great car, though the suspension feels very stiff.
Not that comfortable over poor roads (which are quite common)

anyone else share this view?
Check the tyre pressure.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:57   #1863
BHPian

I have never driven a car with a gear shift pattern similar to that of the Vento's, so I'm a bit confused. Isn't there a chance of accidently shifting to reverse instead of the first gear? And what about the head light controls? The pictures in the thread show knob type switches and not the regular stalk type. Is there some other provision for switching between high beam and low beam?
Old 6th April 2011, 13:04   #1864
BHPian

Thanks evilshantanu & naveen.raju for the info. Shantanu I took your advise and got 3D floor mat which is really good.

On the lock system side I'm having AutoCop in my Santro, it does the good job of managing the lock system. I need get used to this new system in Vento. Also in owners manual they mentioned a way to lock all doors inside, but I couldn't succeed when I tried it.

Also I'm waiting for mud flaps from my dealer(Elite,Blr), they said they will be getting it soon. Not sure why they think having stocks is not a good idea.

Any other semi solid mud flaps suggestions?.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:15   #1865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
I have never driven a car with a gear shift pattern similar to that of the Vento's, so I'm a bit confused. Isn't there a chance of accidently shifting to reverse instead of the first gear? And what about the head light controls? The pictures in the thread show knob type switches and not the regular stalk type. Is there some other provision for switching between high beam and low beam?
The gear pattern is a bit confusing since I faced the same situation at first. I would automatically shift to 4th instead of reverse. The reverse gear is engaged when it's pressed down. If you shift it lightly, it would engage in first gear. But the play action is simple and easy so it wouldnt be much of a problem.

Now coming to the light controls, I got used to this since I drive a Fiesta too with the same set of controls. Switching between high and low beam is like any ordinary car where it's place on the stalk but on the left side.

Quote:
Thanks evilshantanu & naveen.raju for the info. Shantanu I took your advise and got 3D floor mat which is really good.

On the lock system side I'm having AutoCop in my Santro, it does the good job of managing the lock system. I need get used to this new system in Vento. Also in owners manual they mentioned a way to lock all doors inside, but I couldn't succeed when I tried it.

Also I'm waiting for mud flaps from my dealer(Elite,Blr), they said they will be getting it soon. Not sure why they think having stocks is not a good idea.

Any other semi solid mud flaps suggestions?.
I would suggest the flexible mud flaps since the solid mud flaps are really long and will scrap the ground on potholes and speed breakers. I have the solid flaps and tends to scrap the ground. It kind of frightens me at times cos I sometimes think that the car's bumpers are being scrapped.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:26   #1866
BHPian

Guys, I got a Vento TDI last week.
Loving the car every moment.
Will start a initial ownership report soon.

I feel the clutch is really hard and it tough to operate it. I've developed some kind of pain in my left foot too !!! . Is it the case with all the Vento diesels?

Last edited by mikon : 6th April 2011 at 13:39.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:19   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post

I feel the clutch is really hard and it tough to operate it. I've developed some kind of pain in my left foot too !!! . Is it the case with all the Vento diesels?
That is the case with most of the european Diesel sedans, yes you are right, initially one feels that the clutch is stiff. But dont worry, it will grow on you, and your left foot muscles would be stronger
Old 6th April 2011, 14:57   #1868
BHPian

Thanks Naveen.

Could anyone let me know where I can get soft mud flaps in Bangalore?
Old 6th April 2011, 15:15   #1869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post

The clutch will definitely feel hard during the initial phase. It will slowly get better over the time.

Quote:
Thanks Naveen.

Could anyone let me know where I can get soft mud flaps in Bangalore?
Anytime dude. You can get these at any accessories shop. Check out Final Touch - Mission Road, Richmond. That's where I go to get my stuff when am in blore. His name is Akash. Few tbhpians are regular customers.
Old 6th April 2011, 20:04   #1870
BHPian

Thanks naveen for your reply. I am interested in buying the vento but since I drive two 'normal' cars frequently I am afraid I might face some confusion with the gears and indicator/light controls. But sadly there are no other options in this price range other than the Linea.
Old 6th April 2011, 20:11   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I would suggest the flexible mud flaps.
+1 to that. Adding to that, the solid flaps can break also over nasty speed breakers, the kind we have here in Bangalore.

Infact if I am not mistaken then initial lot of Figo came with solid flaps and quite a few of them were soon running around with broken ones. Not sure if the current Figos have soft mudflaps.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:03   #1872
BHPian

Spotted this classic old vento at vakola last evening.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-dsc00200.jpg

Seems to be similar to this one

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-9698_volkswagen_vento.jpg
Old 7th April 2011, 10:09   #1873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks naveen for your reply. I am interested in buying the vento but since I drive two 'normal' cars frequently I am afraid I might face some confusion with the gears and indicator/light controls. But sadly there are no other options in this price range other than the Linea.
I know it's confusing when driving two normal cars. But these are just wiper and light controls. I drive Vento and Swift at times and I do tend to use the wrong controls at times. But considering the performance of the Vento, I think you should look into it rather than backing out because of the control sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
+1 to that. Adding to that, the solid flaps can break also over nasty speed breakers, the kind we have here in Bangalore.

Infact if I am not mistaken then initial lot of Figo came with solid flaps and quite a few of them were soon running around with broken ones. Not sure if the current Figos have soft mudflaps.
It might break or fall off. Swift got these hard flaps. I lost one of the flaps during my trip through a bad section. Seeing this I removed the flaps.

It's always better to go for the soft mudflaps.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:36   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
"Normal" is relative, you go to Europe and most of the cars there have light controls on the opposite side, as fas as the gears are concerned, FIAT also have similar gearbox. Its just a matter of getting used to it. Go ahead buy it, you wont regret the decision, this is my word!
Old 7th April 2011, 11:44   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
That should not be a major issue, suv100. It is only a matter of time before you get used to both. For a period of over one year I used Baleno as well as Logan regularly and I got used to the totally opposite indicator / light controls pretty soon and it stopped being a bother.

Most Viewed