Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 15:37   #2041
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Hey buddy

AFAIK, VW India made a official tie-up with Apollo Tyres last year which meant that all VW India vehicles will have ONLY Apollo tyres. Isn't that the case? Other owners can comment on the same.
I saw 4 Polo's at the VW showroom with JK Vectra's today. Hence the concern.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:41   #2042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Hey buddy

AFAIK, VW India made a official tie-up with Apollo Tyres last year which meant that all VW India vehicles will have ONLY Apollo tyres. Isn't that the case? Other owners can comment on the same.
No such thing. The initial batch of Ventos had JK Vectras (@Sahil's AT included). Mine and several others that followed are shod with Appollo Aceleres. Which are good BTW. I had asked if I can place an option before my delivery but they flatly refused saying it could be either of JK, Appollo or Pirelli (wonder who got those!)

Quote:
I agree 200%. I was actually shocked a bit when I first heard the clatter in Vento TDi. It was around 11 pm and one Vento was standing on idle for a few minutes near my house. It could have been less louder being a VW. But atleast the cabin insulation is good enough to ignore the clatter.
Actually that's one more reason I am happy with the petrol. Refinement is heavenly compared to diesel sibling. I TDed the Laura 2.0CRDi DSG as well and was appalled at how unrefined it sounded after my gentle Fraulein

@naveenraju- Stanley in full leather as described by @anilkalvani may be higher than what you've mentioned- I got a quote for 39K (seats only) in Pune for a similar set-up. Opted for unbranded leather instead, much cheaper, and you've seen the results!

Last edited by noopster : 4th May 2011 at 15:42.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:45   #2043
Senior - BHPian

My Vento TDi HL which came to dealers stockyard on 22-Mar-11 and was a March 2011 manufactured(decoded through VIN) too had JK Vectra's. So of late Vento are coming with either Apollo or JK's. Its your luck which brand of shoes your car gets. I have been using Michelin XM1+ on my Tata Indica and as such JK's are really not that bad or better tyres.
Vento has a bit louder TDi engine but inside the cabin when rev up upto 4000 rpm you really hear a lot of noise inside the cabin and another thing which other's have pointed out is that when you depress the clutch there is a sort grinding sound, which is normal according to VW.
I have driven the car upto 165 Kmph at Palm Beach Rd. Vashi Navi Mumbai and car just glides on the road and even if you make sudden lane change at that speed the car just doesnt wobble and you dont seem to lose control. Vento TDi especially is a true drivers car cant say the same about its petrol sibling.
Regarding suspension I find it perfect neither is it too soft and neither is too hard just perfect balance.
Old 4th May 2011, 22:01   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Does anyone think the diesel clatter is louder in Vento? Also, the suspension wobbles from side to side a bit on uneven roads, especially when both wheels travel over uneven pavement at the same time.
VW should have stiffened up the suspension a bit. I am not enjoying the drive on such roads. Feels like driving a soft sprung MUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Exactly My observations.
Diesel Engine sound is higher during idling. (more than Skoda)
THere is a bit wobbling on un even roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
I actually felt the same when i drove the 1.6CR & even mentioned it in my report. I wouldn't enjoy the wobble too.
I dont currently own a Vento and so my argument can't be better than yours.
Anyway - Yes the diesel clatter is a bit high in Vento. From the inside it is approximately 20% more compared to segment standards. From the outside it is atleast 2X more. Feels like raw power (no refinement). A Tata 407 perhaps?
About Handling I see GTO's argument has been opposed not only by 1 or 2 but many. A rare occurance.
As far as my opinion is concerned, The Vento rides better than the T-Jet at low speeds and broken patches. The stiffer suspension of T-Jet coupled with low profile tyres take the toll. I never experienced any unwanted wobble. Maybe due to limitation of tracks. (2 test drives 20+20 minutes)
At higher speeds both remain fairly planted. No problems whatsoever.
On the handling part, Linea is marginally better, a little less roll and excellent grip. All in all nothing much to distinguish between the two.

The major drawback is the EPS that does not connect you to the tarmac.
Not a deal-breaker though.
More later: When I get my delivery. Biege Diesel HL.
Old 4th May 2011, 22:32   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The major drawback is the EPS that does not connect you to the tarmac.
Not a deal-breaker though.
More later: When I get my delivery. Biege Diesel HL.
But, trust me, driving an EPS in Urban Areas and our Traffic infested cities is a boon. A drive from my office to home is exactly 12.6kms but it takes me an hour and half to cover it. Changing lanes in start stop traffic with bikes, rickshaws, etc. on your case, it becomes absolutely essential & that's where HPS gaves you that pain. If I had a lot of highway driving to do, I would have given HPS cars a wee bit of thought. I hear a lot about the 'disconnected' feel, but sorry, its aint don't matter to me. I love driving my i10 AT to work & whether or not we decide on selling the Logan, the i10 will be my daily ride from Saturday.
Old 4th May 2011, 22:41   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I had a lot of highway driving to do, I would have given HPS cars a wee bit of thought. I hear a lot about the 'disconnected' feel, but sorry, its aint don't matter to me.
May be it is because you are used to EPS.

Initially I used to drive Zen non PS. Then one day I drove Wagoner. I vowed never no drive it again. It felt insecure and you feel you are in a playstation rather than in a car.

Anyway like I said the one in Vento aint a deal breaker. And maybe I will get accustomed to it.
Old 5th May 2011, 19:05   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Folks , JK Tyres are really bad - I have suffered one tyre burst and one tyre shear with my Swift. For a heavier and a torquier car like Vento , you should change the JK tyres asap (within a year or 10K whichever is earlier) else I have reasons enough to believe that expressway kind of high friction concrete road drive maybe dangerous. Fortunately my Vento came with Apollo tyres
Old 5th May 2011, 19:59   #2048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Folks , JK Tyres are really bad - I have suffered one tyre burst and one tyre shear with my Swift. For a heavier and a torquier car like Vento , you should change the JK tyres asap (within a year or 10K whichever is earlier) else I have reasons enough to believe that expressway kind of high friction concrete road drive maybe dangerous. Fortunately my Vento came with Apollo tyres
True. I noticed this too. Luckily for me too, got the Vento with Apollo.
Well, I see many tbhpians with both Swift and Vento here. I think it's high time we start a thread for "TBHPians with Vento and Swift"
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 04:00   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Initially I used to drive Zen non PS. Then one day I drove Wagoner. I vowed never no drive it again. It felt insecure and you feel you are in a playstation rather than in a car.

Anyway like I said the one in Vento aint a deal breaker. And maybe I will get accustomed to it.
I too currently drive a non-PS Zen. Though I like the heaviness of the steering on highways, in the city it is a big pain. I have to steer like a truck driver when making sharp turns. I even had an inflamed right shoulder muscle when I initially did one-hand driving. Had to change my habit since then.

But when I first test drove the Vento, it did feel like I am playing a game. But on the subsequent test drives, I got used to it. In fact, I found it perfect for city driving. By the time I reach the highways during the run-in, I should be comfortable with the light steering. It is not a big concern as you said.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:50   #2050
BHPian

The D day has arrived! Will be leaving from office for a bit at 12.30pm to take delivery. Just to confirm what i mentioned the other day, i re-checked with all the cars at the showroom. Most of the Polo's had JK Vectra's, Vento's had JK's as well as Apollo's (specifically in the IPL Variant). The Passat & the Beetle were the one's with Pirelli's. So that cleared my doubt. All the fittings, except for the Stanley's will be done & will be ready with the car. Will leave the car mid-next week for a day for the seat covers. Also had an opportunity to fiddle with the IPL HU albeit for a minute. The welcome screen has the VW + DLF IPL Logo's. The touchscreen was pretty responsive & sound quality with radio was average. Maps looked good too. Did not get to check anything else as there were a lot of people around. The overall fit & integration into the dash looks really fabulous, though can't say the same about the sound or video quality of the HU as i have not used it much & only owners will be able to give their true feedback. Imagine as a HL owner, you get the older outdated HU compared to a TL owner.

Can't wait though. Woohoo!
Old 6th May 2011, 14:12   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The D day has arrived! Will be leaving from office for a bit at 12.30pm to take delivery. ...

Can't wait though. Woohoo!
All the best Anil , we await to welcome you to the Vento family
Please do start your ownership thread as soon as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
True. I noticed this too. Luckily for me too, got the Vento with Apollo.
Well, I see many tbhpians with both Swift and Vento here. I think it's high time we start a thread for "TBHPians with Vento and Swift"

to your suggestion . Lets do it !! Is there a group functionality that TBHP allows ?

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th May 2011 at 18:59. Reason: Back to back posts within 20mins. Please use edit button if posting again within 20 mins. Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 20:08   #2052
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Anil. On my way into Mumbai today I was looking at every white petrol Vento thinking I may spot you. No idea what I would do if I did cuz I don't know what you look like
Have fun with the beauty! Do start an ownership thread!
Old 6th May 2011, 22:19   #2053
BHPian

Finally! I got delivery of my car, but late in the evening. Post 6.45pm. Long story, will write more tomorrow. And thankfully, I got Apollo Accelere, so I am not going for an upgrade/tyre modification. Clicked some pics from my BB9780 which has a decent 5MP camera. But will click some more in the days to come alongwith a comprehensive ownership report as & when I get time.
Old 7th May 2011, 09:36   #2054
BHPian

A collage of pictures clicked from last evening to this morning.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-collage.jpg
anilkalvani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 10:14   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally! I got delivery of my car, but late in the evening. Post 6.45pm. Long story, will write more tomorrow.
Hearty congratulations & what a relief it must have been to you after a long wait. Looking forward to hear from you @ your delivery experience.

Quote:
But will click some more in the days to come alongwith a comprehensive ownership report as & when I get time.
Please do take loads of pictures. I know it would be a difficult task for you to get your hands off the steering wheel on to the key board, but then try your best to pen it down at the earliest.

Quote:
A collage of pictures clicked from last evening to this morning.
Good collage, but what is the Logan doing there in the centre?

Most Viewed