Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 15:37   #2431
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

@cuteavaya- 32 to 34 sounds about right. It's up to your comfort level really. I find that 32 is good ride-wise but affects the FE a bit. Am currently on 34 which is good in the rainy season, ride is firmer but FE is good!
Old 14th July 2011, 20:19   #2432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Fiesta's prices again prove that Vento is still the king of C segment in most aspects. Like GTO mentioned, Fiesta's prices start where Vento's end.
Sum of the parts analysis would have made one realise that the pricing expectation on the Fiesta as never going to be met . 1.5 lt engine and markedly less on the engine grunt meant that NFS cannot be sold for more - however much the handling is (over) stressed . So on the balance :-
Vento trumps it on the engine , badge , overall fit and finish [ NFS is good in the front and sucks at the rear], build quality .
Ford's proven high cost of ownership and iffy A.S.S. strips it of the bragging rights of Hyundai too .
Competition is great , hope NFS would be available after a few months with dealer schemes - I am sure people would love the NFS more prifced at a lakh less without voice operated controls , pull drift compensation steering and cruise control !
Old 14th July 2011, 20:28   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Ford's proven high cost of ownership and iffy A.S.S. strips it of the bragging rights of Hyundai too .
Its proven (to me) that hyundai is not cheap to maintain. My I20 diesel is 1.5 times more expensive than my fiesta. I would say the new fiesta would be equal or cheaper to own than the verna. Also, it would be cheaper to run. That said, NFS is overpriced by atleast 50K. We will have to wait for the limited editions I guess.
Old 14th July 2011, 21:00   #2434
Senior - BHPian

I am getting to think Vento which is already running in 6-8 months waiting list has a huge task in hand.
In 2-3 weeks those who were waiting for Ford Fiesta will now come running to VW's door to book Vento. I am wondering how will VW handle the pressure.

The waiting period is likely to reach 8-10 months that would be murderous.
Old 14th July 2011, 21:29   #2435
Senior - BHPian

As pointed out by souravc, Fiesta had nothing to compete with Vento.
The only way it could be in the competition is by pricing it 100K lower.
Unfortunately they priced it 50K higher . (spec to spec : 2nd variant "trend" to highline).

The only Fiesta worth going for is the Classic base version (Petrol).
Old 14th July 2011, 22:10   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Its proven (to me) that hyundai is not cheap to maintain. My I20 diesel is 1.5 times more expensive than my fiesta. I would say the new fiesta would be equal or cheaper to own than the verna. Also, it would be cheaper to run. That said, NFS is overpriced by atleast 50K. We will have to wait for the limited editions I guess.
Vis-a-vis ANHV the new Fiesta is certainly not cheaper to own! Cheaper to run is also debatable since one cannot come to any conclusion based on ARAI figures
Vento sales is unlikely to be bothered now given that the NFS only hope was by positioning itself as a lower priced feature rich car with acceptable compromises - at this point its not a top dog either as a petrol unit / diesel unit / feature list and its the costlier one ex showroom
Old 14th July 2011, 23:25   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Vis-a-vis ANHV the new Fiesta is certainly not cheaper to own! Cheaper to run is also debatable since one cannot come to any conclusion based on ARAI figures
Vento sales is unlikely to be bothered now given that the NFS only hope was by positioning itself as a lower priced feature rich car with acceptable compromises - at this point its not a top dog either as a petrol unit / diesel unit / feature list and its the costlier one ex showroom
It would be cheaper to maintain not own. I am not even going anywhere near the ARAI figures. I am just saying based on my experience. With that tall gearing and turbo-lag, verna wouldn't be as fuel efficient in the city where most cars would spend their time. lets see how the market reacts to NFS.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:54   #2438
BHPian

Volks,

I have completed 9900 kms in my Shadow Blue HL TDI, When I checked the oil level today it's in min level. But I didn't see any light indication in car.

I have to drive BLR - CBE today.

Do you think I can drive the car or need to refill first before stepping out?
Old 15th July 2011, 14:56   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Volks,

I have completed 9900 kms in my Shadow Blue HL TDI, When I checked the oil level today it's in min level. But I didn't see any light indication in car.

You need to refill it. I saw the level go below the min level in my car too. Recommend you to fill since you have a long drive planned.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:19   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Volks,

I think I have read somewhere on this forum that the car can be driven a good many km even after the light glows and the "light glow" is usually a few notches below the minimum marked level - this is to ensure that any visual errors (defect of vision, oil splash effect, etc) does not result in damaging the engine so it errs on the side of caution.

As advised by Naveen please refill , ideally refill the oil after a flush.
Wish you a safe trip , please do try to report how your long drive experience was.

Last edited by souravc : 15th July 2011 at 15:24.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:37   #2441
BHPian

Thanks Naveen & Souravc.

When I checked with Blr, DownTown they mentioned that the type oil used is an magnetic(?) oil and it's only available at VW service centre. So If not in Blr I will change it in CBE tomorrow.

@Souravc: Long drive is always pleasure in Vento, My car goes almost every weekend for long drive . Sure, I will flush and refill the oil.
Old 15th July 2011, 17:17   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen & Souravc.

When I checked with Blr, DownTown they mentioned that the type oil used is an magnetic(?) oil and it's only available at VW service centre. So If not in Blr I will change it in CBE tomorrow.

@Souravc: Long drive is always pleasure in Vento, My car goes almost every weekend for long drive . Sure, I will flush and refill the oil.
The Vento recommended oil is Castrol 5W-40 Magnatec Professional , its available at any Castrol outlet and my guess would be that it would be available cheaper than the service centre.
The most important aspect is 5W-40 .. apart from that one can buy any reputed brand comparable to Castrol (like Mobil) . I don't think you should wait till CBE for the topup. In fact many of us in the forum topped up our oil at around 5000 km and you have already done 9900 km so its better to get it done now - its not worth the risk.
Cheers
Old 18th July 2011, 18:04   #2443
BHPian

Thanks Souravc.

Today only I read the message, I went to CBE and did the topup there on Saturday.
They have added .5 Ltr 5W-40 Castrol. It was costing me Rs 486.
The SE mentioned I don't need to add more since I will be changing the oil in service.(Done 10,750 kms, 4250 kms to go)

Just few points on service centre(VW Coimbatore (Ramani)): Spacious one compared to the one in BLR. Everything looks good in service centre(Since it’s new).
They did the job in just 20 mins, while I was having my tea.
I'm not sure when we will be getting those kind in BLR.
Old 18th July 2011, 19:18   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most important aspect is 5W-40 .. apart from that one can buy any reputed brand comparable to Castrol (like Mobil)
No the most important is api service / performance level. Ci, Cj etc.
For gasoline Sj, Sj+, Sg etc.
Old 19th July 2011, 09:57   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
No the most important is api service / performance level. Ci, Cj etc.
For gasoline Sj, Sj+, Sg etc.
Just checked and the VW Vento recommended engine oil, Castrol Magnatec 5W40, is actually fully synthetic.

FWIW, looking at other 5W40 synthetic oils, the 3 below were easiest to find, and should meet/exceed the Vento oil specifications -

Castol Magnatec Professional ( API SM/CF ; ACEA C3/A3/B4) : Magnatec Professional B4 5W-40

Mobil 1 Delvac: (API CI-4+/CI-4/CH-4/SL/SJ ; ACEA E7/E4): Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Shell Helix Diesel Ultra : (API-CF; ACEA -B3/B4): Shell Helix Diesel Ultra - India

Last edited by imjimmy : 19th July 2011 at 10:00.
imjimmy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed