Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 22:13   #2806
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

The drop in Vento's position is due to aggressive marketing by City and obviously, the much anticipated price cut. If WV can streamline it's distribution, and factor in aggressive advertising the Vento could pull ahead. But in order to stabilise at the top, it seriously need to work on customer relation and post sales issues.

To give an example of how pathetic their approach towards the customer, let me sight my example. When I went to the showroom for final documentation, I was made to sit for a while and two gentlemen and a lady indulged in analysing how my name sounded and laughed loud like bunch of lunatic hyenas right in front of me as if I don't have any self worth. I played Buddha just because I loved this car and wanted it real bad. Had I not been rushing for a car, I would have tossed both of my chappals and embraced much loved Maruti.

Vento deserve the crown of C segment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car. Like the say, it is the path,The approach, the journey that makes a destination truly great
Old 7th September 2011, 09:04   #2807
BHPian

Hello all,
I would like to tell you about my experience with this car. We recently purchased it and it is quite a handsome car, the lines are bold and the styling is very German like i.e it is never shy at any corner.

Here are a few annoyances that I've noticed so far

1. The steering wheel is very light which adds to copious amount of understeer
2. The car does not have a lot of head room. I am 5'10" and when I sit, my view is the point from where the windshield starts.
3. The gear knob could have been slightly bigger, if you have big hands the it is a bit tough to get a grip.
4. The rear view mirror has a hindered view because of the raised backside, at nights it becomes fairly difficult to reverse.
5. The dashboard could have been better, I feel the driver is always loaded with the amount of buttons they've given.
6. There isn't much legroom for the driver at front and no dead pedal either.
7. The clutch pedal is too small to get a grip. Keep the vehicle on a slope and try to hold the clutch, the little lever just slips under your foot. (I am changing the pedals for this)
8. The key needs to be pulled back to its initial position if you ever stall the engine(such small details are just overlooked by VW)

I would say keep a checklist of the options above and just tick them off when you are making your decision to buy a new car.

Just to be fair I've to say after having driven for eight years on Indian roads, this car has a great engine and the suspension is great for comfort. Rear leg room is abundant, the mileage is good even in traffic, the engine purrs and the cabin noise is not much. I am getting used to the light steering although I do prefer a slightly heavy steering. The lights are very powerful and even the fog lamps are powerful, full blast and the road is lit well. Though not the best looker in the segment when a new vento passes by people tend to look at it.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:12   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Rachit, had answered this some posts ago based on some inside info I have (trust it at your own risk ):

Since the HU and parking sensors are easily added in the aftermarket, I guess you're right: the steering mounted controls are the only main difference. Also I have reason to believe these will just control the audio and not be Bluetooth-enabled (similar to new Jetta).
Ok Guys the info is confirmed. The gurgaon dealer confirmed that Vento Highline now would be coming with USB compatible Stereo (I am not sure if its a Touch Screen one), Steering Mounted controls for Audio and Rear parking sensor. The price increase is in the range of 35 - 40K. As for the deliveries of this updated car he will get back to me in half an hour. Will update that then.

One Observation which I have had regarding the Central Armrest actually touching your arm when changing gear is that becuase the gear lever is so short hence your hand has to go down to shift and it touches the Central Arm Rest. I am in love with Central Arm rests so I think if someway we could just make the gear lever longer it might help. I know the throw of the gear would increase slightly. Anybody any suggestions or if anybody has done any similar thing.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 11:14   #2809
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=captain_slow;2496266]

Quote:
2. The car does not have a lot of head room. I am 5'10" and when I sit, my view is the point from where the windshield starts.
I am 5'11" and didnt notice difficulty wrt to the head room available. Did you try adjusting the drivers seat's height? I have a feeling your seat's height is an issue here.

Quote:
4. The rear view mirror has a hindered view because of the raised backside, at nights it becomes fairly difficult to reverse.
Very true. I hate the recent trend of the rear boot blocking up the view in the back. Parking sensors are must in this car.

Best of luck with your new car. And also go through another thread which describes the features present in the vento. You might be surprised to see some of them not present in your car. A simple software update is all thats needed at the workshop.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:18   #2810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Ok Guys the info is confirmed. The gurgaon dealer confirmed that Vento Highline now would be coming with USB compatible Stereo (I am not sure if its a Touch Screen one), Steering Mounted controls for Audio and Rear parking sensor. The price increase is in the range of 35 - 40K. As for the deliveries of this updated car he will get back to me in half an hour. Will update that then.
Thats a huge increase in price. What is VW thinking here. 40k increase will mean an overall increase by around 60K in the OTR price. VW should bring in a comfortline variant for the Vento if they are gonna make the HL above 11L in Delhi.

Did he tell you when is the price rise expected? I really feel paying 40k extra for steering controls is a lot. Parking sensors will cost you just 5-6k.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:52   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to your inputs. Now that I have booked the car I am not sure how to approach this news.

Steering wheel control, USB and parking sensors are welcome. But at same time I was thinking of going for a Pioneer 3350 BT and Reverse cam as I personally feel camera is more useful than the sensor. And the sensor at VW accessories was 4K with just a audio beep! Too expensive. Was not too keen on the steering wheel controls as I am not used to one. And knowing Bangalore's sky high tax rates this 40K might translate to 50K. Whereas I get Pioneer for 22500 and reverse cam for 4 or 5K max.

Totally confused now. But since this is not a major change for VW, I dont think it will take too long for them to implement it right?
Old 7th September 2011, 11:55   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while taking a turn onto the road which had a slight elevation, I was in 2nd gear and the engine turned off. I had just started the engine and had driven for about 100ft.

When I turned the engine ON, the power feed to the steering was delayed for a few feet while I was already moving. I just hope it was nothing to worry about
Old 7th September 2011, 12:07   #2813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post

Steering wheel control, USB and parking sensors are welcome. But at same time I was thinking of going for a Pioneer 3350 BT and Reverse cam as I personally feel camera is more useful than the sensor. Whereas I get Pioneer for 22500 and reverse cam for 4 or 5K max.

Totally confused now. But since this is not a major change for VW, I dont think it will take too long for them to implement it right?
I feel you should go ahead and buy the current Vento. 40-50k increase in price doesn't seem justifiable or practical to me. And the Pioneer 3350 BT along with a reverse cam should be anyday better then OEM stuff.

I think ANHC is going to see more bookings if VW indeed increases the price by 40k. For people who didn't like the ANHV and have to choose between the Vento and ANHC the breakeven point will go up. And also who knows going by the current trend when will the Govt decide to deregularise the diesel prices.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 12:34   #2814
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, I think a increase of 35-40k is too high for the added features which should have been there in the first place. If they do so, the overall price increase of the diesel version would be close to 60K within an year of its launch which to me is way too high. This will start making the verna more VFM as far as feature list is concerned.

On the other hand, I feel a price increase is inevitable since the skoda cousin is due for launch soon and I would expect it to be placed in the current vento levels. The quantum of increase is the question now and I sincerly hope VW doesnt price it too high to deter potential customers.

In the last instance of price hike, VW gave a price protection for the buyers who had booked before the price increase announcement, but this time around I think the price at the time of delivery will be applicable, since we get some added features for the price increment. By all probabilities this refresh vento should be released either before/same time as the launch of lauretta and hence next month looks very likely.
Old 7th September 2011, 12:49   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I feel you should go ahead and buy the current Vento. 40-50k increase in price doesn't seem justifiable or practical to me. And the Pioneer 3350 BT along with a reverse cam should be anyday better then OEM stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
In the last instance of price hike, VW gave a price protection for the buyers who had booked before the price increase announcement, but this time around I think the price at the time of delivery will be applicable, since we get some added features for the price increment. By all probabilities this refresh vento should be released either before/same time as the launch of lauretta and hence next month looks very likely.
I am not very sure if those who have booked now will have an option on choosing the existing model or the HU-Lifted model. So I guess all one can do is just wait and watch. For this much increase, I hope the HU justifies the price with a good touchscreen one(Not the IPL one) with navigation etc.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:02   #2816
Senior - BHPian

I'm very positive you will not have the liberty to choose what you want since there is a waiting list in bangalore unlike NCR where drmohitg is based out of.

All said and done, this 35k-40k is quoted by a dealer person and isnt official yet and I will take this with a pinch of salt. Personally I beleive, this is a little too much for what is being offered and it shouldnt be more than 15-20k in my estimate.

Quote:
I am not very sure if those who have booked now will have an option on choosing the existing model or the HU-Lifted model. So I guess all one can do is just wait and watch. For this much increase, I hope the HU justifies the price with a good touchscreen one(Not the IPL one) with navigation etc.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:13   #2817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with drmohitg , the pioneer would be so much better and its unlikely to be offered as OEM (IMO). Frankly I don't know whether to trust a dealer about any info on product upgrade or pricing . Given my buying experience at the dealer where I had interacted with them over 6 months, I am more inclined to believe that VW dealers are clueless buggers in every sense of the term - no more , no less ! As is obvious , my opinion has huge negative bias - my guess is that if they have exhibited anything to the contrary or you have any direct reliable information from the company then only should you even give the news any credence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Yesterday while taking a turn onto the road which had a slight elevation, I was in 2nd gear and the engine turned off. I had just started the engine and had driven for about 100ft.

When I turned the engine ON, the power feed to the steering was delayed for a few feet while I was already moving. I just hope it was nothing to worry about
The power feed to the steering should be back on the moment you turn on the ignition and the MID console lights up - there is no noticeable lag . Please check again !
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 13:35   #2818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

All said and done, this 35k-40k is quoted by a dealer person and isnt official yet and I will take this with a pinch of salt. Personally I beleive, this is a little too much for what is being offered and it shouldnt be more than 15-20k in my estimate.
Maximum 10k will make it a good offer. Otherwise I feel VW should really look at launching a fully loaded HL at the price of ANHV SXO model. And introduce a CL variant which can have the current cars feature.

Having just 1 decent marketable model is not a very smart strategy IMHO. Some people may want all the features like steering controls, Aux, Auto folding ORVMs, parking sensors and would not mind the price hike. Others at the same time will prefer for the car to be priced less and having basic features ( just like the current one). The current TL is just too basic to serve any meaningful purpose.

Last edited by drmohitg : 7th September 2011 at 13:38.
Old 7th September 2011, 14:56   #2819
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have recived the new Quotation from the delear.

Ex Showroom: 9:82 (Earlier it was 9:48)

So the difference comes out to be 34K.

Also, If you intend to buy the car without this increase you can only buy from the lot that the dealer has. Deliveries are expected to start next month for this changed one. There is 3K increase in the insurance also.

The colour I want is nowhere in stock in complete NCR as well as CHD. I guess I will have to just get the new One.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 15:01   #2820
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have recived the new Quotation from the delear.

Ex Showroom: 9:82 (Earlier it was 9:48)

So the difference comes out to be 34K.

Also, If you intend to buy the car without this increase you can only buy from the lot that the dealer has. Deliveries are expected to start next month for this changed one. There is 3K increase in the insurance also.

The colour I want is nowhere in stock in complete NCR as well as CHD. I guess I will have to just get the new One.
Can you please check with your dealer on the new brochure for more details on the additions? I hope the new steering wheel is like this. Took it from the VW Russian site.

http://www.volkswagen.ru/ru/models/p...BD%D0%B8%D0%B5. Not sure if the chrome insert and leather wrapping will come back :P

Last edited by prabhuferrari : 7th September 2011 at 15:15. Reason: Added info

Most Viewed