Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2011, 15:00   #3451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
well before my purchase i had test drive of Fluidic verna too. the clutch was indeed lighter than vento. in all my test drives vento had the hardest clutch.

i have driven swift diesel too and it has lighter clutch too.

and comparing diesel with diesel , to compare ventos clutch with that of lineas, i would say linea has feather touch clutch, one can press it with fingers too.

i have driven logan long time back, i dont remember how hard it is.

but i guess one can get used to the hard clutch after driving for few more days.

in city its a pain but on highway i think it wont be an issue at all as one hardly needs to press the clutch.
after the pain yesterday i wasnt willing to shift the gear much while driving in the city :(
OMG! That is serious cause for concern now. Is that a design flaw by VW then? If all its competitiors and even some diesels from a segment below have lighter clutches? Seriously, if changing gears scares the driver during long stop-go-stop traffic situations, its a pathetic situation. Sorry about that Amit. At least you have to feel happy that the drivability is really good in your Vento
Old 19th November 2011, 15:11   #3452
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the clutch in the diesel is hard when you compare it to the verna, swift and the likes. Also, the biting point is not exactly in the center but more towards the top when you release the pedal. Once you master this, then its fairly easy, but again, this car doesnt like the acc pedal to be depressed even slightly before the clutch pedal is fully released, else the vehicle moves with a annoying jerk.

I found it a pain in the B2B trafic too, on the highways it doesnt really matter.
Old 19th November 2011, 15:15   #3453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
Yes, the clutch in the diesel is hard when you compare it to the verna, swift and the likes. Also, the biting point is not exactly in the center but more towards the top when you release the pedal. Once you master this, then its fairly easy, but again, this car doesnt like the acc pedal to be depressed even slightly before the clutch pedal is fully released, else the vehicle moves with a annoying jerk.

I found it a pain in the B2B trafic too, on the highways it doesnt really matter.
True. But as you said, once it is mastered its a breeze in the peak hour traffic. With the ECU taking control to ensure RPM does not fall below 900 2nd gear takes care of traffic situation and you hardly need to change the gear. I don't feel the jerks as well now.
Old 19th November 2011, 15:15   #3454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Congrats. i wanted to ask you if you have driven a swift diesel thoroughly? How hard is the vento's clutch compared to it?

I will be buying a vento very soon and have had 2 test drives till now and i did feel it was a little hard but its coming as a surprise when owners are complaining of knee pain after driving vento.
I have driven the following diesels (a decent amount) - Vento, Punto, Swift, Fluidic, Fiesta Classic.

Vento is the hardest of all - no doubts out there. Fluidic probably is smoothest of the above lot. But that goes for most Hyundai cars, I guess.

It (knee pain) probably has a lot to do with tall people, when doing city driving (read : bumper to bumper traffic).

The problem - if you keep the seat at a distance, ensuring you keep your legs straight, it's tough to push the clutch which isn't one of the smoothest.

And if you keep your seat closer, then the bend at your knee starts hurting a bit, especially if you do bumper to bumper traffic for an elongated duration.

In the end, it all deals with how you seat yourself - there are two levers, you can play around a lot.

Quote:
but i guess one can get used to the hard clutch after driving for few more days.
Exactly - couldn't have put it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
OMG! That is serious cause for concern now. Is that a design flaw by VW then? If all its competitiors and even some diesels from a segment below have lighter clutches? Seriously, if changing gears scares the driver during long stop-go-stop traffic situations, its a pathetic situation.
That would be taking it a little extreme.
Basically the truth is - the clutch is hard. But is it a problem? That depends on you.

Look above - you took amit's post as a point for serious concern, while I opted for the single line which I considered as an positive point.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th November 2011 at 15:20.
Old 19th November 2011, 15:58   #3455
BHPian

Quote:
after the pain yesterday i wasnt willing to shift the gear much while driving in the city :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Seriously, if changing gears scares the driver during long stop-go-stop traffic situations, its a pathetic situation.
After having driven a petrol car for eternity, I too felt the same tiredness after the frequent use of clutch for the first few days. But now, the clutch has softened a little. The high low-end torque of the TDI actually makes driving easier without changing gears too often. I have become so used to it that it is second nature to me and I don't fret at all.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:49   #3456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Yes, the clutch in the diesel is hard when you compare it to the verna, swift and the likes.
The best shoes to wear while driving the Vento is Woodlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
True. But as you said, once it is mastered its a breeze in the peak hour traffic. With the ECU taking control to ensure RPM does not fall below 900 2nd gear takes care of traffic situation and you hardly need to change the gear. I don't feel the jerks as well now.
Very valid point but then again I have heard people crib that the Vento shoots forward by itself (due to the ECU inputs) - everyone cannot be satisfied !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The problem - if you keep the seat at a distance, ensuring you keep your legs straight, it's tough to push the clutch which isn't one of the smoothest.

And if you keep your seat closer, then the bend at your knee starts hurting a bit, especially if you do bumper to bumper traffic for an elongated duration.
Ninja your description somehow reminded me of leg press, similar to the picture below

All of us will have fantastic legs shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
After having driven a petrol car for eternity, I too felt the same tiredness after the frequent use of clutch for the first few days.
In fact since I graduated from a Swift petrol , initial few weeks were spent in upshifting and downshifting more than necessary . Now apart from peak traffic staying in the 3rd gear allows the biggest band , during peak traffic its 2nd gear . I think the Vento returns 14-15 kmpl even in 2nd gear , it punishes only in stop go situations

BTW Bala , Ninja, Nilesh , Prabhu - any of guys got a warranty card when your cars were handed over to you . Today during my visit to the workshop I was told that all owners should have been given the warranty card ( not to be confused with the extended warranty card) which I certainly didn't receive . Fortunately I chanced to catch hold of a showroom guy in the workshop who was also blissfully unaware of it . A very sad state of affairs ! I don't know whom to trust - the showroom (dealer) guy or the workshop lady . Please let me know either ways
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-leg_press.jpg  

Last edited by souravc : 19th November 2011 at 19:53.
Old 19th November 2011, 21:56   #3457
BHPian

Had my 3rd test drive of vento today. Took innova to the dealership so that i can make comparisons. Vento's clutch is harder than innova. Infact innova's clutch is lighter than both swift and vento.

As far as alloys are concerned, the pricing has not reduced but one of my friend just bought a polo trendline and he got 5 OEM alloys for 35k. The dealer made some excuses to avoid giving the alloys but after my friend threatened to cancel the booking, they agreed. Sweet deal he has got

I also enquired if RCD 510 could be purchased separately and if rear parking sensors could be integrated too. He had no clue on this and said he'll let me know.
Old 19th November 2011, 23:32   #3458
BHPian

Folks can any one help me with onroad price in Hyderabad for Vento Highline Diesel. Different dealers are quoting different price. Did anyone @Hyderabad took delivery of this model this month. Any discounts? any freebies?
Old 19th November 2011, 23:49   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Vento's clutch is hard but it eases out once you cross 2500 kms. Comparatively it has become more lighter than before. In very heavy traffic just the clutch with low end torque is more than sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Any of guys got a warranty card when your cars were handed over to you . Today during my visit to the workshop I was told that all owners should have been given the warranty card ( not to be confused with the extended warranty card) which I certainly didn't receive . Fortunately I chanced to catch hold of a showroom guy in the workshop who was also blissfully unaware of it . A very sad state of affairs ! I don't know whom to trust - the showroom (dealer) guy or the workshop lady . Please let me know either ways
Well I haven't received any warranty card and till now no extended warranty card, hasn't been received as yet. Sourav please elaborate your experience, I know it has been bad. I will have to get my service done from them only, so your experience will be useful and give us an insight to deal with these guys.
Old 20th November 2011, 00:34   #3460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Very valid Point.

Quote:
The best shoes to wear while driving the Vento is Woodlands
Thats not a bad solution. But frankly speaking I never had any issued with the clutch being hard. I have driven worse.

Quote:
I have heard people crib that the Vento shoots forward by itself (due to the ECU inputs) - everyone cannot be satisfied !
That would be me. I dont like the ECU taking control of the car.
You see the problem with this setup is, you cant cruise in 2nd at 10kmph. or 15kmph in 3rd.
Old 20th November 2011, 09:03   #3461
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Sourav, will go home and check the papers. If there is one, BuB would have given it for sure.

Rohan, IMO the clutch doesn't ease up, we get used to it. Mine's clocking close to 7k - the clutch is still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
Folks can any one help me with onroad price in Hyderabad for Vento Highline Diesel. Different dealers are quoting different price. Did anyone @Hyderabad took delivery of this model this month. Any discounts? any freebies?
@Nikhil - there were two quotes for Vento Tdi from Hyd dealers posted by Vento buyers out here on this thread - do a search. Apparently in hyd the dealers are wrongly charging a handling fee (10-15k) as misc charges and also bundling in an accessories pack for 25k if I remember correctly - both of which are fraud.

One of the hyd buyers had mailed VW on this too - just check with that tbhpian please.
Also if you put the quotes, we might be able to help.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th November 2011 at 09:09.
Old 20th November 2011, 10:12   #3462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Sourav please elaborate your experience, I know it has been bad. I will have to get my service done from them only, so your experience will be useful and give us an insight to deal with these guys.
Rohaan , its there on my thread . I gave my car at 11 a.m and they said that they would hand over the car at 3:30 p.m [ wrote the time as 4 p.m. on the job sheet , thats a mini fraud that these guys do everytime ] and finally handed over the car at 5:30 p.m. . Trust me, the bead change is a max 20 min job .. it involves taking out the rubber lining of the door and the door frames ( both ) and putting new rubber on ! So it took them six and a half hours to do a 20 min job - this is when I had gone there with prior appointment !
Strangely , they didn't send take my feedback . The reason for the same as given by the CS lady is that since my mobile number is registered in the DND list , i would not get the sms code . Does anyone have an idea whether this is true? Logically this should not be the case since DND stops marketing sms which start with a certain prefix ( "TM" if I am not mistaken ) else I receive all other automated texts from service providers such as one time passwords , etc. I am trying to find it out !
Old 20th November 2011, 11:12   #3463
BHPian

Just checked the documents. There is a warranty registration booklet, with the car details and my details under the 1st owner form. There are pages for second owner and third owner form. It's mentioned as warranty registration booklet. Are you referring to this sourav?
Old 20th November 2011, 13:43   #3464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strangely , they didn't send take my feedback . The reason for the same as given by the CS lady is that since my mobile number is registered in the DND list , i would not get the sms code . Does anyone have an idea whether this is true? Logically this should not be the case since DND stops marketing sms which start with a certain prefix ( "TM" if I am not mistaken ) else I receive all other automated texts from service providers such as one time passwords , etc. I am trying to find it out !
True. In my first general checkup, they tried mine and a friend's no, but both of us didn't get the sms (registered with DND list). Second trip I gave a colleague's who had a new sim - he got the sms asap. In addition to that, within 2 weeks of both delivery/insurance claim I got a feedback call from VW mumbai office.

But you can give instantaneous feedback without the sms too, they have a workaround.
Old 20th November 2011, 14:04   #3465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Just checked the documents. There is a warranty registration booklet, with the car details and my details under the 1st owner form. There are pages for second owner and third owner form. It's mentioned as warranty registration booklet. Are you referring to this sourav?
I guess that's the one Prabhu - I would not know for sure since I have not got mine and have not seen any . Would it be possible for you to scan a copy and mail it to me so that I can take it to my dealer - you know how nitwits these VW dealers are !

Most Viewed