Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 14:30   #3676
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Even I found that weird..but it worked. I'm guessing it probably had something to do with some code getting reset in the chip rather battery actually charging!
Not sure about VW, but know for a fact that all the Honda cars (including the ones available in India) have this feature, the key battery gets charged when you put it in the ignition.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:39   #3677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Not sure about VW, but know for a fact that all the Honda cars (including the ones available in India) have this feature, the key battery gets charged when you put it in the ignition.
Never thought about this. But looks like a simple thing to do. Still not sure if VW has it.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:46   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That means that the keys have rechargeable batteries , is it ? It was not so at least in the Swift , I know it since I had to get the batteries changed once and the batteries were certainly not the rechargeable ones - they were the tablet kind which goes into watches and clocks
Old 21st December 2011, 14:48   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
That means that the keys have rechargeable batteries , is it ? It was not so at least in the Swift , I know it since I had to get the batteries changed once and the batteries were certainly not the rechargeable ones - they were the tablet kind which goes into watches and clocks
Yes the batteries are re-chargeable, all the Civics and Honda City's have this type of Keys...
Old 21st December 2011, 15:33   #3680
BHPian

So guys got my first servicing done yesterday for vento AT and was very surprised to hear that the bill only came to 6677 for 15000 kilometers. That is really nice for a car which costs more than 10 lakh rupees. The service was prompt, the time given was kept to the tee and the SA was completely tuned in. He knew everything about the car and also took me upstairs to the service area to show me what all was done on the car.

One more interesting point i wanted to share with everyone is I checked with the SA regarding voiding of warranty because of installation of a music system and he informed me that as long as a wire is not cut, the warranty does not get void. Even if a wire has been cut, till the time they do not see an error in the vazcom system, the warranty remains. He even went ahead and told me that even if the system shows error, the company goes out of their way to solve it and if its a small thing definitely looks over and grants warranty claims.

I had compplained earlier regarding my car making noises. The SA told me that its because of faulty door bidding and that is a predominant problem with Vento's and Polo's and the Door biding would be changed free of cost by the company under warranty. Is anyone else facing the same problem or is it just me and my car from that lot?
Old 21st December 2011, 17:27   #3681
Senior - BHPian

You got a nice,honest and knowledgable SA. Not everyone is lucky enough, but nevertheless what he told you is right and makes lot of sense. Its ultimately your relationship at the dealer level that will help you overcome this warranty void threats. This is true with any manufacturer.

As far as noise by the door beading goes, souravc has done a ph.d on it. His report and findings are available a few pages back in the same thread if I'm not mistaken. Sad finding is, this issue cannot be resolved, even if the beadings are replaced. My car has this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
One more interesting point i wanted to share with everyone is I checked with the SA regarding voiding of warranty because of installation of a music system and he informed me that as long as a wire is not cut, the warranty does not get void. Even if a wire has been cut, till the time they do not see an error in the vazcom system, the warranty remains. He even went ahead and told me that even if the system shows error, the company goes out of their way to solve it and if its a small thing definitely looks over and grants warranty claims.

I had compplained earlier regarding my car making noises. The SA told me that its because of faulty door bidding and that is a predominant problem with Vento's and Polo's and the Door biding would be changed free of cost by the company under warranty. Is anyone else facing the same problem or is it just me and my car from that lot?

Last edited by bala80 : 21st December 2011 at 17:31.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:15   #3682
Senior - BHPian

@Subodh
You are quite lucky to have such a knowledgeable SA. Very rare to find one. Its good to know your 1st Service only costed Rs. 6700. If possible can you upload the copy of bill, so we all can have a better idea what all parts replaced and the price for the same especially its an AT.
Can you next time even ask the SA if we could change to mineral oil and VW wouldn't void our warranty and even update the MiD to oil changed at 1 yr/15000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
As far as noise by the door beading goes, souravc has done a ph.d on it. His report and findings are available a few pages back in the same thread if I'm not mistaken. Sad finding is, this issue cannot be resolved, even if the beadings are replaced. My car has this too.
Touch wood my car doesn't exhibit any sound from the doors. My service is due in 1st week of April 12. Even if SA recommended changing the beading under warranty would refuse it as why fix something which ain't broken.
After Sourav's experience as it doesn't make change why think about it.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:34   #3683
BHPian

Quote:
So guys got my first servicing done yesterday for vento AT and was very surprised to hear that the bill only came to 6677 for 15000 kilometers. That is really nice for a car which costs more than 10 lakh rupees. The service was prompt, the time given was kept to the tee and the SA was completely tuned in. He knew everything about the car and also took me upstairs to the service area to show me what all was done on the car.

Congrats subodh for the first service. Even I am glad to look at the bill amount. As for the noise from the door beadings even I have experienced that. The only solution given to me was to clean the door beadings with a simple cloth dipped in plain water and immediately rub it off with a dry cloth. Spend some time doing it and it should go. Well this approach did improve my situation.
As for the update somehow this noise now has drastically reduced in my car. I am not sure the reason but I am loving it. Probably I might have turned deaf towards it too but it is signifactly occasionally that this noise now comes.
Old 21st December 2011, 21:42   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the batteries are re-chargeable, all the Civics and Honda City's have this type of Keys...
Shantanu , pure physics of battery charging needs polarity reversal of the terminals - I am just wondering how a solid metal key can carry 2 charges at the same time which would be essential for charging

Quote:
Subodh as Bala mentioned I nearly qualified to add a Dr ahead of my name .. a Ph D in door squeaks , details can be referred to on my thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2588376
Rachit seems to have found out a solution - however spit shine of the guilty areas has not solved the problem in my car . As far as my understanding goes , changing the door bead would not help in any way - the reasons are as explained on my thread.

Last edited by souravc : 21st December 2011 at 21:45. Reason: forgot about key charging :-)
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:32   #3685
BHPian

Last week was hectic with back to back highway night drives (almost all nights) and I came back home yesterday night. I just opened the bonnet to check up on things and found the coolant has gone down the min level (slightly though). Is this normal. The car has run 4000 kms and just 1 month old. Where can i buy the coolant, should i go to the service center or can i get it off the shelf ? Any particular specs ?

Also there is a constant (minor) rattle in the MID Console. The pasting between the console bottom and the bottom of the dash (the part above the steering wheel) seems to have given away a bit and it keeps giving a minor "rrrrrr" sound over bad roads all the time. Had expected a zero rattle car, but alas this car is no immune to our rain ravaged roads. Any quick fix solutions to plast it tightly. I am thinking of quick-fix

Last edited by SR-71 : 22nd December 2011 at 10:36.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:15   #3686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Last week was hectic with back to back highway night drives (almost all nights) and I came back home yesterday night. I just opened the bonnet to check up on things and found the coolant has gone down the min level (slightly though). Is this normal. The car has run 4000 kms and just 1 month old. Where can i buy the coolant, should i go to the service center or can i get it off the shelf ? Any particular specs ?
Assuming you checked it immediately after the drive was done. If so, then it's perfectly normal. Actually deja-vu for me - did the exact same thing and saw the coolant levels below the min mark. By the next day morning, it was back to normal levels.

OT : 1 month - 4000kms! Niiice!

Quote:
Also there is a constant (minor) rattle in the MID Console. The pasting between the console bottom and the bottom of the dash (the part above the steering wheel) seems to have given away a bit and it keeps giving a minor "rrrrrr" sound over bad roads all the time. Had expected a zero rattle car, but alas this car is no immune to our rain ravaged roads. Any quick fix solutions to plast it tightly. I am thinking of quick-fix
Aha. Welcome to the VW-rattlers group, also known by the alias name of VW-Squeakers group So far, most of the rattling/squeak issues haven't been re-solved.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd December 2011 at 11:17.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:00   #3687
Distinguished - BHPian

Vento to be sold in Middle East mid 2012.

In a bid to increase market share from as low as the current 2% in some parts to 10% in the coming years, Volkswagen has identified several new models for the Middle Eastern markets.

The first launch, the Russia-made Volkswagen Polo sedan (Vento is sold as Polo in Russia) is followed by the four-door Passat.

Volkswagen Polo sedan hits The Middle East in 2012
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:05   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Vento to be sold in Middle East mid 2012.

In a bid to increase market share from as low as the current 2% in some parts to 10% in the coming years, Volkswagen has identified several new models for the Middle Eastern markets.

The first launch, the Russia-made Volkswagen Polo sedan (Vento is sold as Polo in Russia) is followed by the four-door Passat.

Volkswagen Polo sedan hits The Middle East in 2012
I doubt how much of sales its likely to garner in the middle east - I would think that its a market geared up for cars like Passat or at the most Jetta , nothing below that ! That aside the Japs rule the market , it would be interesting to see how VW being a marginal player in the region is able to push Vento which is a lower margin product
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:49   #3689

Hi All,

Got a confirmation email from T-BHP a few days ago...and it feels so elated!!

I got my Vento (HL-TDI) delivered about a month ago...and boy it feels awesome!! (i am coming from a 5 year Wagon R). I already have about 2000+ kms and keep finding reasons to get into the car

Well all the niceties have been said (for what we buy) and most of the squeaks have been experienced (for what we get).

I wanted to share 2 areas were I need some help.

1. The throw of the AC is very narrow. Sometimes I feel Wagon R was much better at cooling (with sunfilms). I know it may be setting-in and I dont have sunfilms right now, but i still feel (including nights) that the cooling is not a WOW. I normally keep shifting between 21 and 22 deg with fan speed between 4 and 2. Is anybody else facing the same issue?? Also need reco's for good sunfilms and average cost (cost is not a deciding factor, but helps to get a perspective)

2. This one has to do more with driving in B2B traffic. I live in Mumbai (stay in Navi Mumbai and work in Andheri and i take the route via Sion). Whoever is familiar with these roads will know what i mean. What i wanted to know is this: The car really pulls well in 2nd gear even when it is stopped, and the 1st gear is just too short (IMO) to ride the start-stop traffic. So is it advisable to keep it in 1st gear and ride by pressing the clutch or is it a good practice (no matter how tedious) to get it in neutral everytime you stop?

I am currently in process of drafting my Ownership Thread (waiting for good clicks the text is almost ready) and will post my experience in detail.

Till then, will greatly appreciate help on the above 2 points
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:30   #3690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnadkarni View Post
Hi All,

1. The throw of the AC is very narrow. Sometimes I feel Wagon R was much better at cooling (with sunfilms). I know it may be setting-in and I dont have sunfilms right now, but i still feel (including nights) that the cooling is not a WOW. I normally keep shifting between 21 and 22 deg with fan speed between 4 and 2. Is anybody else facing the same issue?? Also need reco's for good sunfilms and average cost (cost is not a deciding factor, but helps to get a perspective)
Yes you are right, the throw of the Air Con vents is not as good as Wagon R or even Swift. But since this has a climate control, you actually don't need that. The entire idea is to keep the cabin temperature at a certain value. What I have experienced is, if you don't have Sun Films then you need to keep the temperature setting at 19-20 Degrees Centigrade to feel pleasant. This I think is because there is a lot of glass as compared to any hatchback, so the rise in temperature is more, hence we would need lower temperature, otherwise you need the blower at 4-5, I used to keep the temperature at 19-20 degrees and the blower at 2, used to work well. Then I got Sun Films fixed, and now I keep the temperature setting at 22-23degrees, works awesome. So the moral of the story, get Sunfilms :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnadkarni View Post
2. This one has to do more with driving in B2B traffic. I live in Mumbai (stay in Navi Mumbai and work in Andheri and i take the route via Sion). Whoever is familiar with these roads will know what i mean. What i wanted to know is this: The car really pulls well in 2nd gear even when it is stopped, and the 1st gear is just too short (IMO) to ride the start-stop traffic. So is it advisable to keep it in 1st gear and ride by pressing the clutch or is it a good practice (no matter how tedious) to get it in neutral everytime you stop?

I am currently in process of drafting my Ownership Thread (waiting for good clicks the text is almost ready) and will post my experience in detail.

Till then, will greatly appreciate help on the above 2 points
What I have experienced is, the range of the first gear in all the diesel vehicles is not much, the same I observed in Manza, Cruze, Indica, Verna etc. IMO what you should do is avoid driving on the clutch, if you are driving on 2nd Gear in stop and go / bumper to bumper traffic, then I guess you would be driving a lot on clutch, that you should avoid. So always go by the speed, even if that means changing gears frequently.
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks