Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:46   #4591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Just got my wheels rotated and balanced, and I saw this (left and right rear suspension arm). Is this a problem?
Mate, I am not too sure whats the problem here ? Are you referring to the "crack" ? That's a weld joint, which is left behind when the "slag" is chipped off , nothing to worry IMO
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:10   #4592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc

Mate, I am not too sure whats the problem here ? Are you referring to the "crack" ? That's a weld joint, which is left behind when the "slag" is chipped off , nothing to worry IMO
On second look, that's exactly what it looks like. You can even see the yellowish remnants of the weld cream (?) or whatever it is called on the edges. On weld just probably turned out a little rough.
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:16   #4593
Senior - BHPian

The pictures are awesome. Loved those dual barrel headlamps & with these the problem of low illumination by 60/55W bulbs will also be solved. The antenna is the same as the short stubby one I have on my Vento. The rear tail lights are also the same. Would like to get those headlamps someday when they are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Guys help me with following queries

1. what could be the rim size on this (is this 15 incher) with a wider tyre. are these 205/55s?
2. Amazing rear taillight and antenna! Super head lights
3. Where do i get these number plate frames????
1. The rim is of size 15 inch but you can put 205/55/R15 tyres on the current one.
2. Taillight is same but the antenna is short stubby one.
3. Ask any shopkeeper that makes number plates with frame. Costs Rs. 1200 in Mumbai.
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:53   #4594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The pictures are awesome. Loved those dual barrel headlamps & with these the problem of low illumination by 60/55W bulbs will also be solved. The antenna is the same as the short stubby one I have on my Vento. The rear tail lights are also the same. Would like to get those headlamps someday when they are available.

1. The rim is of size 15 inch but you can put 205/55/R15 tyres on the current one.
2. Taillight is same but the antenna is short stubby one.
3. Ask any shopkeeper that makes number plates with frame. Costs Rs. 1200 in Mumbai.
thanks el-lobo, i was asking what could be the tire/rim size as depicted in these pics? what is your guess.
taillights are same? looked different pattern,
Antenna had a different base, (UC coming up with jetta shark fin antennas soon)
Old 24th June 2012, 00:03   #4595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
i was asking what could be the tire/rim size as depicted in these pics? what is your guess.

Antenna had a different base, (UC coming up with jetta shark fin antennas soon)
I guess, the tyres are still 185 section and even if they are 205 section, it would be very difficult to differentiate as its just a 20 mm difference. I hope they come up with this facelift sonner than later.
Shark fin antenna is some news to me, will be looking forward to it. Someone wants to purchase my short stubby antenna for discount.
Old 24th June 2012, 07:55   #4596
BHPian

Here are the Specs of the VW Polo Sedan a.k.a known as the Vento in India :

New Polo Sedan Range. < Polo Sedan < Models < Volkswagen South Africa

note the several options that should have been present in the Indian vento but are missing - the EBD, RCD 210, ESP , side airbags etc etc. and thats the comfortline model

Last edited by Sunilrj : 24th June 2012 at 07:56.
Old 24th June 2012, 07:57   #4597
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj
Here are the Specs of the VW Polo Sedan a.k.a known as the Vento in India :

New Polo Sedan Range. < Polo Sedan < Models < Volkswagen South Africa

note the several missing options that should have been present in the Indian vento - the EBD, RCD 210, ESP etc etc. and thats the comfortline model
If all this can be offered in South Africa at comparable pricing, then why does India continue to get such poor treatment?
Importantly, I think it is time for the government to institutionalize all safety kit as mandatory in all types of vehicles.
We really need a break here!
Old 24th June 2012, 09:11   #4598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If all this can be offered in South Africa at comparable pricing, then why does India continue to get such poor treatment?
And even worst maybe that, these cars maybe going to those markets from India (I remember reading that Polo Sedan in Malaysia is imported from India). Huge differential treatment indeed. Regular quality for India, and export-quality machines for other markets!
Old 24th June 2012, 09:16   #4599
BHPian

Last evening I was invited over for a customer event by our local dealer (only one in my city) OSL Exclusive for a generic interaction, discussion of any issues and of course dinner and drinks. Nothing much to write home about the event though I should not be speaking badly of my hosts. They listened to my feedback patiently specially the noise coming after cold starts from left rear drum brake and promised to have a detailed look at it. I was hoping to pick up some more insight about their future plans for the Vento but they didn't seem to have much inside knowledge. The only tidbit I could pick up was they were almost close to clearing their 2011 petrol Vento inventory and have plans to again manufacture the 2012 petrol Vento in August. I know some members here have got the 2012 petrol Ventos but as per the dealer VW is not manufacturing the petrol Vento unless there are specific orders maybe? Not sure given the current situation if it even makes sense to create petrol Vento inventories in August. On the other hand the shorter version of the VW mud flaps for the Vento is indeed available and I want to upgrade soon when I can.

The launch of VW Up seems to have been postponed till 2014. According to them there is a petrol as well as a diesel version but given that they were hoping to launch it in the Rs 3-4 lakh range they are facing challenges since due to various constraints it is falling in the Rs 4-5 lakh range. I am assuming the inability to effectively localize components to reduce costs. I wish the SAs are better trained than they are in terms of information. For example I was not too impressed by their knowledge about their own engine which won the international engine of the year. On inquiring why the 1.4 TSI in the new Jetta only spits out 122 BHP while the international version is rated at 160 BHP I got pretty vague answers. I have heard that the one introduced in the new Jetta is not super charged due to fuel quality issues. The SA responsible for the Jetta was only hemming and hawing when I asked these questions. I just wish VW trains their dealership personnel in these aspects specially when they want to command a premium through the German engineering badge. Overall a nice relaxing evening spent and I wish they can make it more interactive with more information sharing in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Importantly, I think it is time for the government to institutionalize all safety kit as mandatory in all types of vehicles.
We really need a break here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And even worst maybe that, these cars maybe going to those markets from India (I remember reading that Polo Sedan in Malaysia is imported from India). Huge differential treatment indeed. Regular quality for India, and export-quality machines for other markets!
Isn't this due to various degrees of taxation in these countries which determines the ex showroom price? India perhaps has more taxes which can skew the price range. As a result VW takes a call on what features to include and what features to let go. Of course the profit motive would be foremost besides other factors like market share, competitive placement, etc.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 24th June 2012 at 09:21. Reason: multiquoted
samarjitdhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 11:21   #4600
BHPian

Update on my extended warranty:
Yesterday I visited Elite Motors, Blr for extended warranty. As usual they were not sure what to do and made few phone calls to discuss with someone. Later accepted the payment and said extended warranty will be couriered to me in a month.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 24th June 2012 at 11:26.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 12:32   #4601
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Yesterday I visited Elite Motors, Blr for extended warranty. As usual they were not sure what to do and made few phone calls to discuss with someone. Later accepted the payment and said extended warranty will be couriered to me in a month.
Hey top speeder

So they have given you an extended warranty after one year of sale of your car? Please reply urgently as this would make my case stronger

Hey guys heard a rumor that the vento diesel automatic is going to be launched soon apparently a friend of mine spoke to a dealership owner and they have been given a brief about it

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2012 at 17:05. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 24th June 2012, 12:59   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder
That's good to hear. When did you buy your Vento? I'm still awaiting a response from volkswagen palace cross for my Oct 2010 Vento.
Old 24th June 2012, 18:43   #4603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Isn't this due to various degrees of taxation in these countries which determines the ex showroom price? India perhaps has more taxes which can skew the price range. As a result VW takes a call on what features to include and what features to let go. Of course the profit motive would be foremost besides other factors like market share, competitive placement, etc.
Of course, market demand is the driving factor, and it’s not just VW; every other manufacturer does these compromises. But I find VW’s game on Vento on a bit stranger – in this short duration of existence, already there were 2-3 upgrades. Each of those was just price increase tactics IMO. Instead of adding up fake leather seats, or removing chrome /leather package and adding it back later, they should have added some goodies like EBD, ESP etc. This is just my thought, and I most probably will be in minority here
Old 24th June 2012, 21:11   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
This is just my thought, and I most probably will be in minority here
Not really. Very pertinent points. Its kind of a call between loading the car with features which might cannibalize the sales of the higher variant which is the Jetta. Remember cars like the Verna or the Fiesta don't have a higher variant except only recently when the Hyundai Sonata was launched so these cars could still be loaded with features without any risk of harming sales of the upper segments. Of course profit motives are foremost while VW surely had major issues with product planning in terms of features which were disappearing and reappearing as part of some magician acts. Some of those issues were also due to localization challenges when the local vendors couldn't measure up to the standards expected.
Another thing to note is that VW could only manage to produce around 4K cars (Vento + Rapid) per month in their Chakan facility which was the case till recently combining the Vento and the Rapid sales numbers. The market downturn is obviously causing some rethink everywhere including VW. I am sure all manufacturers will be hunkering down and adopting a wait and watch policy instead of expansion be it diesel or petrol. I somehow suspect the automobile boom in India is kind of petered out now given the economic situation. It might be at least a few years for another boom to happen if it happens for the automobile industry to see the same heady growth numbers. Till then India would probably be used as a manufacturing base for exports.

Last edited by noopster : 25th June 2012 at 10:33. Reason: Moved part of your post to the Vento fire thread
Old 25th June 2012, 06:04   #4605
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you 100%. I find the omitting of EBD absurd, when this feature is a given for cars 2 segments below (with ABS). They could have very well justified the premium they are charging if these features are provided to Indian customers too. Alas, VW also seems to be following the footsteps of other manufacturers in this area.

A little OT - You'd probably find the vento owners on this thread to be the most diplomatic of all. They will be the first person to vociferously express their displeasure or criticize their car's shortcomings. We are all passionate of our rides, but I havent seen any instance of anyone blindly supporting the brand. Very different from a few other brand's and threads that I follow and I take pride in the fact that I was also one amongst this group.

Quote:
This is just my thought, and I most probably will be in minority here

Last edited by bala80 : 25th June 2012 at 06:05.
bala80 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks