Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:16   #4741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Ouch! That means around 10k approx! That sad to know, I was happy to see 3500. I got insurance free so never really bothered about zero dep don't think it saves much unless you have lot of twisted metal and internals, in everyday incidents its mostly plastics or paints which takes the beating.
Oh, you need to go through a lot of ownership threads then! Hyundai, VW, Skoda - for all these painting charges are coming up far more than the part charges. Reasoning is simple - the dealer makes more money out of painting (read:labor) than the parts itself.

On a serious note, if no major parts are getting replaced, then get it done from a 3rd party garage (if you know one). The price might just come down by 40-60% of the workshop quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I think having zero depreciation doesn't cover the entire charges of painting. I think its only 50%. When I got my rear bumper replaced at least that's what I was told.
It does. The entire 100%. Tried and tested. You only pay (a fixed value) processing charges.

In comprehensive cover, painting doesn't get covered 100%.

Quote:
Good point but I am not sure about these policies. They say a lot of things when they sell it to you. In my case, I am being quoted 3/4K more by Bajaj for renewal for zero depreciation and they say that the entire engine with its parts are covered which their competitors don't cover. Need to peel off these layers of onion to understand what's the whole deal .
That I believe is just plain sales pitch - talk being done to make you choose them over the competitors. I doubt if any of the insurance policies would leave out specific car parts
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:20   #4742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Oh, you need to go through a lot of ownership threads then! Hyundai, VW, Skoda - for all these painting charges are coming up far more than the part charges. Reasoning is simple - the dealer makes more money out of painting (read:labor) than the parts itself.

On a serious note, if no major parts are getting replaced, then get it done from a 3rd party garage (if you know one). The price might just come down by 40-60% of the workshop quote.

It does. The entire 100%. Tried and tested. You only pay (a fixed value) processing charges.

That I believe is just plain sales pitch - talk being done to make you choose them over the competitors. I doubt if any of the insurance policies would leave out specific car parts
A garage I believe can never match a A$$ - just as an A$$ can never match factory.

What do you guys suggest should I go for a check up immediately and get an estimate as well or wait til 7500kms? Car has done 4000 as of now - so around 2 months or so at the most.
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:33   #4743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A garage I believe can never match a A$$ - just as an A$$ can never match factory.
Not for minor dents & painting jobs. By your description, it doesn't seem a major issue. And I did mean a good garage, that has the necessary equipment. There are a a few good ones in every metro(s).

What you quoted is the general point - which of course no one would disagree. Going to the A$$ for minor jobs gives you a feel-good factor, which is a tad difficult to obtain if one goes to 3rd party garages. In the end, it's a personal choice.

Quote:
What do you guys suggest should I go for a check up immediately and get an estimate as well or wait til 7500kms? Car has done 4000 as of now - so around 2 months or so at the most.
Btw there is no recommended check at 7500 kms. IMO, I'd suggest getting it rectified as early as possible - you never know if the problem could become worse. But then you haven't shared any images, so you are the best person to decide on this.
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:52   #4744
BHPian

Quote:
Don't have zero dep afaik. Don't plan to change rear bumper - only front.

Don't plan to claim insurance unless its beyond 6-7k.Thinking of getting estimate sometime mid-week and give the car for the job during the 7,500kms "general checkup" which I was advised.

Any idea how long can a job like this take?
Replacing both bumpers could easily cost 17,000 (4000 rupees from own pocket). From your description it seems the bumpers can be repaired and repainted, in which case you'll only have to pay only the processing charges (roughly 1500)

Even if the bumpers are available (they always are) it could still take upto a week depending on the work load at the workshop.

Quote:

Nope painting is always covered 100% in all policies, in all years (no depreciation ever)
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:56   #4745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Good point but I am not sure about these policies. They say a lot of things when they sell it to you. In my case, I am being quoted 3/4K more by Bajaj for renewal for zero depreciation and they say that the entire engine with its parts are covered which their competitors don't cover. Need to peel off these layers of onion to understand what's the whole deal .
Zero dep is basically an additional cover over the comprehensive policy which saves the depreciation costs on plastic, rubber & metal parts. Say a comprehensives costs Rs. 18,000 and for another Rs. 4,000 you get Zero Dep Policy. What Bajaj is offering you is additional cover the Zero Dep which covers the engine & other parts. With each and every additional cover added on, insurance premium keeps on rising. I got Zero dep policy for my Vento for Rs. 22,000 from Bharti AXA including 20% NCB and I too don't know what are the fine prints in it. Just that it would save me depreciation costs in an event of accident and I be paying just the processing fees amounting to Rs. 3,000.
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:57   #4746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Replacing both bumpers could easily cost 17,000 (4000 rupees from own pocket). From your description it seems the bumpers can be repaired and repainted, in which case you'll only have to pay only the processing charges (roughly 1500)

Even if the bumpers are available (they always are) it could still take upto a week depending on the work load at the workshop.

Nope painting is always covered 100% in all policies, in all years (no depreciation ever)
Out of 17,000, 4,000 from own pocket even on a non zero-dep normal policy?
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:01   #4747
BHPian

Quote:
Out of 17,000, 4,000 from own pocket even on a non zero-dep normal policy?
Yes, however you will lose out on the 20% NCB next year.
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:03   #4748
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, however you will lose out on the 20% NCB next year.
20% of NCB = 20% of the free insurance I got which should be around 7,000.

Still cheaper than paying 17,000. What does a claim agent do in such a case? Passing small claims like these are easy?
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:07   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
20% of NCB = 20% of the free insurance I got which should be around 7,000.

Still cheaper than paying 17,000. What does a claim agent do in such a case? Passing small claims like these are easy?
Your front bumper would be easily be replaced, the agent may ask the rear bumper to be repaired. Can't say for sure without seeing pics.
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:09   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Your front bumper would be easily be replaced, the agent may ask the rear bumper to be repaired. Can't say for sure without seeing pics.
Thank you for answering all those questions!

I'm half in mind to get front done now, and let the rear one be till 15k kms at least. Front only would cost around 10k at the most. Rear one does not make sense with the traffic we have and the scratches which will keep happening with very tight parking and bikes and autos rear ending cars every now and then.

Think I will go this week and get estimates and take a call, will post some pictures tomorrow - so you guys can advise better!
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:12   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Think I will go this week and get estimates and take a call, will post some pictures tomorrow - so you guys can advise better!
Repair and painting would be covered 100% for the rear, so might as well get it done. If you file to separate claims you'll have pay the processing fee twice.
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:15   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Repair and painting would be covered 100% for the rear, so might as well get it done. If you file to separate claims you'll have pay the processing fee twice.
Will post some pictures - not sure if it's really a damage or just a nudge.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:04   #4753
BHPian

Quote:

Hmm. So was I being suckered? Anyway that one time the culprit who owned the Fortuner coughed up majority of the damages hence I didn't go for insurance. I guess I would have lost the NCB this time around which would have been more. The drive assure Bajaj is quoting is around 30K for renewal while Tata AIG is at 26K. Sorry for going , I will take this discussion to the insurance threads.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:09   #4754
BHPian

So, this morning while coming to office, my front right tyre got into a pothole, a REAL BAD POTHOLE. Well this was a new one on the ORR, otherwise by now I remember each one of them by heart. Well Well, the effects of it, there was a bad cut on the sidewall, and I reached work on the spare donut tyre.

As a result of this, I need to replace the tyres, and since my car has already done 39,000 KM on the ODO, thinking of replacing all the tyres, and as decided earlier, there is no point going with the Apollo Acceleres, so I called up the neighborhood tyre dealer (Tyre Empire) in HSR layout.

His advice: instead of going with the Yokohama A-Drives, I should go with the Michelin Primact LC (Michelin PLC), size 195/65 R15 the stock tyre size of the Vento tyres is 185/60 R15

Benefits: as per him, the sidewalls for this particular product is much better than the earlier Michelin tyres, which are known for soft side walls, he repeatedly kept insisting to go for Michelin instead of the Yoko A-Drives, I am still doing some research on the internet, called up a couple of other car tyre dealers, they also seems to be in favor of Michelin PLC. Plus I called up my one of my friends in Lucknow, who is into the tyre business, he too recommends this.

Damages: Rs 5,862/- per tyre and then Rs 350 + 120 for wheel alignment and balancing.

What does the Tyre punters and gurus have to say on this? would love to have their opinions as well.

Link for the Michelin PLC (official website)

Last edited by evilshantanu : 23rd July 2012 at 12:10.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:24   #4755
Distinguished - BHPian

^^You should be OK. That's about 2.1% error in speedo reading. You will gain ~13mm in overall diameter, which seems fine.
Let me know how it goes. Am at 26,000 on the odo but the Aceleres have already started skidding around. Not a good sign.

Most Viewed