Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2012, 02:18   #4801
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Got my VW Vento TDI highline Terra Beige on 17th July from VW Delhi West after a lot of head banging between the Rapid and Vento . Had my eye on both the cars from a long time, it was only the budget which was not permitting me to go for it, almost bought a Swift ZDI but then then just couldnt resist the German.

No negatives for the Rapid, its a great improved car and whatever changes Skoda have done on NVH etc have been good. Its just that dad was not comfortable buying a Skoda, i couldnt digest the interiors, green instrument light and after negotiations the Vento was a little over 20k more than Rapid which we happily paid - you get the VW badge, good leatherette seats, good interior ambience and reverse sensors with steering mounted controls.

Clocked 800 kms so far, its a gem of a car, i cant just stop the praises for this brilliant TDi engine and perfectly matched gear ratios, oodles of torque everywhere. Brilliant ride and handling, also own a Linea which is known for its ride and handling but this is no less, excellent suspension setup.

Many told me that German cars have weak ac but believe me the Vento's ACC freezes me to the bones, its damn damn effective.

First tankful returned an impressive 17.5 km/l all city with ac on all the time.

Will start ownership thread after a couple of thousand kms.

Facing 2 issues :
1. The irritating "Thud" noise from behind even on small undulations, too bad and it seems i have to ignore it. Friend has a Rapid and i have driven it extensively, this THUD sound is more prominent in Vento.

2. Coming from Linea's brilliant hydraulic steering, this steering seems a little vague like most EPS's are and a little light to my liking, got better after i upsized to 195/60 Bridgestones. This steering on Vento still is light years ahead of Verna.

A photo from delivery day of my Beige beauty- yeah i couldnt stop grinning.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-323938_10150954430736295_548926839_o-1.jpeg

Drove to Murthal NH1 for some midnight paranthas - finishing the running in.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-616565_10150963817226295_1797997102_o.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I will get the extended warranty. That issue is settled.
Congrats on your Vento. Some times we should listen to our heart like you did, am sure Vento will keep you much more happier than Liva for a long time.

Good decision with the extended warranty, no two thoughts about it. I advise every one to go for it be it Skoda, VW or any manufacturer.

Quote:
Does the Vento have an Air con dust filter? forgot to ask the guy who took the booking.
Yes it does have a pollen filter/ ac filter. There is a separate filter for the air conditioner like most cars are providing these days.
Old 29th July 2012, 09:28   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Got my VW Vento TDI highline Terra Beige on 17th July from VW Delhi West after a lot of head banging between the Rapid and Vento
conngrats oolboy007. Right decision there.

Quote:
Many told me that German cars have weak ac but believe me the Vento's ACC freezes me to the bones, its damn damn effective.
I concur. I was also a bit apprehensive when I read about the weak A/C but it is a real chiller! I normally keep it on Auto at 25 degrees and still it chills me. Of course I havent sat at the back so dont know how it is there. But on the front seats it is very very good.

Quote:
Good decision with the extended warranty, no two thoughts about it. I advise every one to go for it be it Skoda, VW or any manufacturer.
i havent taken the extended warranty yet. theres an active thread on it here and so i was in two minds about it. Does it really help to have extended warranty. Does your insurance not take care of any failures ?
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 11:18   #4803
Senior - BHPian

It just had to happen I guess.

Need help guys. I dont know if this is serious really! After beating the reliability bush around it had to happen to me

Yesterday night while coming back, just near my home I realised gear was not changing!! I was driving in "D" mode and I could only see D5 on the MID whatever the speed! Also from standstill the car behaved as if there is no power (MID still showed D5 while it should have been D1), RPMs not crossing beyond 2000. Engine did not stall though even on accelerating from stop (in 5th Gear supposedly, and RPMs were around 2000 and not going beyond that). Also tried triptronic and it didnt work either! Still MID showed 5 all the time!!! Coming back to D and it was D5 again. Everything else was working fine though. There was no perceptible bad noise or any shudders from engine, brakes were fine etc etc.

I was very near to my home (just few hundred meters) and was able to drive to my parking spot (there I realised that on moving the stick to N there was a jerk, again moving to R there was a jerk and finally to P as well!) I switched off the engine cursed my stars and decided to call VW helpline in the morning.
Today morning came down to check and now mysteriously this problem has disappeared!!! The stick moved seamlessly to R, N and to D and MID showed D1!!! Drove a bit and everything was fine! Drove to office in the morning then and it was absolutely fine (as if nothing ever happened). All gears are engaging properly. Of course I have not checked any high speeds. But saw RPMs going upto around 3500 in 3rd while accelerating before I eased on the accelerator and it moved to D5 immediately and RPMs to around 1500.

I am now stumped as to what could have happened and whether to take it to service station or not. What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by joslicx : 30th July 2012 at 11:21.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:20   #4804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007
Got my VW Vento TDI highline Terra Beige on 17th July from VW Delhi West after a lot of head banging between the Rapid and Vento . Had my eye on both the cars from a long time, it was only the budget which was not permitting me to go for it, almost bought a Swift ZDI but then then just couldnt resist the German.
Absolutely spot on rapid. The green interior is a turn off. Places where skoda beats vw

1. Super yummy alloy wheels ! Better design than vw
2. Bolder front and rear look

Congrats on on terra beige stunner! This color is best of both the worlds. It's not as common as silver but is as stunning/gleaming/easy to maintain as one

In the thud, check tyre pressures. VW super inflate their tyres. I got mine with 52 psi! Maintain 34 at front (engine load) and play between. 30-34 at rear. Remember lower psi at rear will significantly reduce thuds. But will also make car feel heavy

My combi - 34 front 33 rear

Find your sweet spot!

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please do not quote a large post in its entirety. It makes it difficult for our small-screen and mobile users

Last edited by noopster : 30th July 2012 at 12:04. Reason: Refer mod note
Old 30th July 2012, 12:11   #4805
Distinguished - BHPian

@josclix, my friend in Bangalore had a problem with the AT box too- not as drastic as what you recounted however. It is captured here.

ECU/TCU reset was the solution. This is what Akshay1234 had suggested then:
Quote:
Maybe a transmission or an ecu reset may help? Tell him to put the car on, to the position just before the starter cranks, and press the accel down fully for 20 seconds at least. After that to just start the car and drive around.

Another option may be to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 15 mins so that the ecu resets.

A 3rd option possibly could be asking the VW people to reset it through VAG-COM.
In my friend's case the VW service station guys did a TU reset and proclaimed everything cured. Since he hasn't raised the issue again, am assuming they were right.
Old 30th July 2012, 12:18   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@josclix, my friend in Bangalore had a problem with the AT box too- not as drastic as what you recounted however. It is captured here.

ECU/TCU reset was the solution. This is what Akshay1234 had suggested then:

In my friend's case the VW service station guys did a TU reset and proclaimed everything cured. Since he hasn't raised the issue again, am assuming they were right.
Yes noops I read this thread yesterday night. I was thinking of trying it (the ECU reset as per Akshay1234's 1st technique) today morning before calling the VW service. But the car was fine in the morning!!!

Anyway till now I was not planning to attend the monsoon check-up camp but now will be fixing a time with them today. Will discuss this issue with them there.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:42   #4807
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My Sister's new Vento!

Here are the details:
2011 June Manufactured Petrol.
Offers: IPL II Edition kit + Free Insurance + AMC
OTR Bangalore 9.5L
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-photo0049.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-photo0051.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-photo0052.jpg  

Old 30th July 2012, 16:15   #4808
Senior - BHPian

On my MID, the bars indicating the fuel storage do not come up at all. It happens on and off and dont know what could be wrong. Was very rarely happening since two months but now its more frequent.
The service centre is so far off that I dont feel like driving all the way to Hesarghatta. Need to ask them to pick up this week.
Also need to get the air con blower adjusters replaced since both on the dash are broken and rattle in rough roads.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:02   #4809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Today morning came down to check and now mysteriously this problem has disappeared!!!
Sorry to hear about and good to know that you were just few meters away from home when the problem occurred. German cars with all the gadgetry & ECU computing going on, sometimes go hay wire. Just a small reset by switching off the car for 15 mins and starting it back again mostly solves the problem.

Like in my Vento TDi HL Apr'11, 2 weeks back the ACC all of a sudden stopped cooling. Just air coming out of ac vents, no cooling whatsoever. I was about 1 Km away from my home, so anyway managed to get home. Next thing comes to mind is calling up VW.

Since I had to go out again after coming home, started the car again after 15 mins and ACC is cooling to bones all over again. So switching off and starting again solves the problem sometimes. Its been 2 week and ACC is working fine, no problem whatsoever, touchwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Anyway till now I was not planning to attend the monsoon check-up camp but now will be fixing a time with them today. Will discuss this issue with them there.
My suggestion would be to skip attending monsoon check up camp, waste of time and nothing else. Visiting workshop result in cascading effect. Some or the other scratch/ding with greasy hands all over the car.

VW is even not offering free car wash, which makes Monsoon check up camp redundant. For normal check up points, we our self can do it.

Use the car for a week or so and observe if the problem appears again, if so then go to workshop. Other than that skip going, they might mess up something else. Another thing, I'm confident about workshop people would be having lesser experience with Vento AT box, since its a very rare car.

VW Monsoon Checkup Points. (All of them can be done by bhpians at least)

1. Oil level check.
2. Coolant level and leakage check.
3. Defogger check.
4. Air conditioning check.
5. Windscreen washer.
6. Wiper functioning check and Tyre pressure check.
7. Inspection of brake pads.
8. Lights and battery check

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 30th July 2012 at 17:13.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:15   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Just a small reset by switching off the car for 15 mins and starting it back again mostly solves the problem.
Aha so it is Microsoft software that is running our VW cars

Quote:

My suggestion would be to skip attending monsoon check up camp, waste of time and nothing else. Visiting workshop result in cascading effect. Some or the other scratch/ding with greasy hands all over the car.

VW is even not offering free car wash, which makes Monsoon check up camp redundant. For normal check up points, we our self can do it.

Use the car for a week or so and observe if the problem appears again, if so then go to workshop. Other than that skip going, they might mess up something else. Another thing, I'm confident about workshop people would be having lesser experience with Vento AT box, since its a very rare car.
Earlier I was thinking about skipping the monsoon check and had not contacted any service center about it so far. I had the exact same concerns as you have raised (always that fear that they might mess up something or introduce some new scratches/dents/grease spots etc). Anyway because of this problem, I called up VW Palace Cross today morning. The guy promised that somebody from service will contact me regarding the camp but so far nobody has called me. Lets see. Vento AT by the way might not be so rare here; we Bangaloreans love automatics (I have seen more i10s, i20 ATs here than in any other city). In 2012 only out of the 64 Ventos VW had assembled so far, at least 9 Vento ATs arrived in Bangalore - 6 with Palace Cross and 3 with my dealer (and I dont know how many Downtown sold).

noops had also suggested basically the same thing earlier - an ECU reset solves these kind of issues (theres a thread on it here).
Old 31st July 2012, 12:47   #4811
BHPian

Full payment has reached the dealer. My account has been debited. I am hopeful that I may get my car tomorrow.

Only one thing I need to do, put 100% transparent but UV rejecting 3M film all around.
Old 31st July 2012, 16:38   #4812
BHPian

The VW sales man had come to my house to get the 5 photos and signature on FORM 20. I have not even seen the car yet. He was a little shocked that I refused to sign the form 20 , and I was a little shocked that he expected me to sign the form 20 with out seeing the car!!!

I think it is standard practice for the form 20 s to get signed before even doing PDI. I courtesouly declined to sign the form. He said that his manager will be upset with him if he does not get all this done before the delivery date. However I have asked to see the vehicle in the yard and the sales man did not take it seriously till now.

The showroom is in Anna Nagar and due to the metro rail project they do not have space to park the vehicles. The stock yard is shared by Mahindra, Mercedes and VW and we cannot go to the yard.

He has asked me to come at 9.30 AM tomorrow and I can inspect the car in the showroom. Once I am satisfied with the car, I can sign the form 20. That is the current agreement.

Thanks to TBHP, I am not one of the "normal" customers who sign the form 20 ahead of time. I hope he does not get a heart attack when he sees the printout of the TBHP PDI checklist .

Anyway the sales guy seems honest and I do not think he is trying to pull a fast one. I think thats how things are done normally.

The RTO office is about 500 meters from my house , so I am planning to ask them to leave the car at my house once they complete the registration.

Last edited by rrnsss : 31st July 2012 at 16:46.
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 18:51   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
My Sister's new Vento!

Here are the details:
2011 June Manufactured Petrol.
Offers: IPL II Edition kit + Free Insurance + AMC
OTR Bangalore 9.5L

Congratulations!. Vento looks great in red

What all did you get in the IPL II Edition Kit?
Old 31st July 2012, 18:56   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I hope he does not get a heart attack when he sees the printout of the TBHP PDI checklist .
Where can i get this TBHP PDI list folks ?
Old 31st July 2012, 19:21   #4815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
On my MID, the bars indicating the fuel storage do not come up at all. It happens on and off and dont know what could be wrong. Was very rarely happening since two months but now its more frequent.
The service centre is so far off that I dont feel like driving all the way to Hesarghatta. Need to ask them to pick up this week.
Also need to get the air con blower adjusters replaced since both on the dash are broken and rattle in rough roads.
Even I faced this problem very recently. I got the first service of my car done. The very next day while driving I suddenly noticed that the Fuel bars was not displaying. I had topped the car the previous day. I got scared. Distance to Empty was also not showing anything. I tried to calm down. parked the car on the side. Switched off the car and pulled the key out. Then after 5 secs started the car again and thankfully this time the bars were there. Gave me a real shock for 5 secs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks