Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 11:24   #4906
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi Folks - Is there any update on the Vento refresh that was talked about few posts earlier. I was to book the H/L for me this weekend but after reading these posts, I held back. I have been asking my SA at Volkswagen Chandigarh repeatedly but he is pushing me to get the current one, emphatically telling me that no refresh is planned this year. I do understand that its his job to maintain sales. But I am in a quagmire; I want to get the refreshed one if it is around the corner, but I do not want to end up paying an additional 2lac because of a diesel vehicle price revision which also might be around the corner. Gosh!! does anyone have any reliable inputs?
Old 13th August 2012, 17:53   #4907
BHPian

Some urgent help needed here. Every time I need the Vento's PUC certificate redone I have to run helter skelter from one PUC center to the other. The usual center I get it done is shut down because of renovations to the petrol bunk. Another center in an adjacent bunk cant just seem to get the RPM above 2500 recorded in its infernal device. Seems to be some problem with their device as they claim they can test all diesel vehicles except the Vento. Also it usually takes around thrice the amount of time to test any diesel vehicle so some of the centers located quite far from my house ask me to come at insane hours like 7:30 in the morning. Just because it takes longer for a diesel vehicle to be tested these guys are reluctant to run tests. Has anybody faced problems getting their Ventos certified for PUC?
Old 13th August 2012, 18:02   #4908
Distinguished - BHPian

OT Point:

A lot of you might have been wondering sometime back about the large number of Petrols that were manufactured in 2011 - till around the last quarter we always used to hear about large number of petrol ventos remaining unsold with VW/dealers. A friend of mine who works in VW revealed that a large number of petrol ventos were being maintained/stored in a warehouse near Pune, and the company was yet to come to a strategy on how to sell off these.

And then suddenly they just disappeared, didn't they? Turn the page to 2012, and suddenly 2011 petrol (and diesel) Ventos began to disappear as the few 2011 pieces went for heavy discounts while 2012 petrols weren't being manufactured till a few months back. Well, here's something that might answer that quandary!

Earlier today, I had gone to the vw workshop to give off my car for warranty claims when I saw this!

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img00317201208131309.jpg
Please note there were two more line(s) of cars like these

Do note all of these were petrol Ventos, and most if not all were highline. Almost all of them had MH 14 DA series, same as mine - which puts them around October 2011 registered. Assuming they might have gone for registration a few months post production, I'd put them at June - July production (or earlier).

I inquired about the same - these were up for auction. On further prodding, I got the info that these were only for dealers, and clearly not for individuals. I did have a look at a few of the cars, except for the odd scratches and dents on the outside, they seemed in pristine condition. Tried getting more info on the auction processes (and how frequently are they done), but I was given no other information. In retrospect I should have got more pictures of the interiors, however I had a colleague waiting, and decided to move on.

Disclaimer: The above thoughts/analysis are of my own.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th August 2012 at 18:06.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 18:57   #4909
Senior - BHPian

ninja

I've seen Ventos and Rapids as transport cars for some hotels here in Bangalore, mainly new 4* hotels like Ibis and 7 heaven. Come to think of it, with CNG/LPG conversion the TL trim would make the perfect transport car for three/four star hotels for ferrying single/double guests and for any city runs. It has the all important rear A/C vents and sufficient space.

I guess VW should have plonked a capable CNG/LPG kit and sold all those cars to hotels.
Old 13th August 2012, 21:29   #4910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I guess VW should have plonked a capable CNG/LPG kit and sold all those cars to hotels.
I am not surprised that they are not doing this given the fanatic zeal with which ze germans profess to adhere to warranty norms - a CNG / LPG kit would be like keeping a ticking bomb and then giving extended warranty for the canister. I don't think company fitted CNG/LPG is going to happen for any of the global biggies , least of all VW
Old 13th August 2012, 21:36   #4911
Distinguished - BHPian

Ninja, the petrol Ventos were available at huge discount till a couple of months ago. My friend got a white MT highline for a 1.2L discount about then. There were only a handful of old stock petrols left when he took possession. Or at least...that is what the dealers said.
Old 13th August 2012, 22:37   #4912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar
Some urgent help needed here. Every time I need the Vento's PUC certificate redone I have to run helter skelter from one PUC center to the other. The usual center I get it done is shut down because of renovations to the petrol bunk. Another center in an adjacent bunk cant just seem to get the RPM above 2500 recorded in its infernal device. Seems to be some problem with their device as they claim they can test all diesel vehicles except the Vento. Also it usually takes around thrice the amount of time to test any diesel vehicle so some of the centers located quite far from my house ask me to come at insane hours like 7:30 in the morning. Just because it takes longer for a diesel vehicle to be tested these guys are reluctant to run tests. Has anybody faced problems getting their Ventos certified for PUC?
OT: this I have see just in Pune, where the police is more worried about PUC, than the bikers wearing helmets. Guess that's why they are popularly known as Mamu :-)
Old 14th August 2012, 12:22   #4913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
No, the Vento (yes, even the refreshed one) does not have EBD. It has only ABS. The same can be verified through the brochure and the same has also been discussed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-263.html

---
Is the ABS system different in Vento and the Rapid? I would guess both should be exactly the same, just like all other mechanicals.

The reason for this question is - Skoda India site mentions Rapid comes equipped with ABS with Dual Rake Brake Assist (I'd assume it should be same as EBD?)
Old 14th August 2012, 14:04   #4914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Vento will now come with blackened headlights, like the one in this picture -
I saw one in person at the VW downtown showroom in Mumbai and it looks cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any further details like launch date or additional features, higher peicing etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Was super anxious hence called Downtown VW up myself. They said that there definitely might be some exterior (probably just the headlight) and interior updates. Might be minor equipment updates. However, he said that they still haven't been properly updated about it. The only bit he was sure of is that the updated car would be made official by 3rd week of August. So sometime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Sure Vento will come with Blackened headlamps but those are not Bi-focal lamps as in the picture. The one for Indian market are the smoked version of the current headlamp. They look good but not as good as the double barrel one.As per my info, There is new trim coming which is called HL plus. This will have these lamps along with new alloy wheel design and other minor tweaks.

Moreover there is an upgradation in all the trims. The steel wheel size increases by 1 inch now in TL and CL, etc.
I was at VW Mumbai west this weekend and the SA told me that new version of Petrol Highline is coming and delivery expected by september end. He just said the new version will come with steering mounted controls and maybe leather seats. I dont know about the other modifications.
Old 19th August 2012, 13:02   #4915
BHPian

My car just arrived from its 1st service and an expected service bill of 9000+ . I dont know if its my car but overall I feel my other diesels drive better than Vento TDI. The throttle response is quite vague now and it takes a sweat to drive it fast compared to Ritz which responds just on pressing the throttle. Though the smoothness of the TDI engine is far superior to Ford's and Maruti's but the fun to drive factor is not giving me reasons to drive it more.

Somehow I enjoy the Ritz's power delivery and so too Figo's smooth no lag engine.. I will try driving it on expressway and see if the new filters or engine tuning did have an effect on performance or not. But yes, fuel economy is a killer 19-20 now on mix or open stretches and traffic which keep me away from fuel pumps.
Old 19th August 2012, 23:31   #4916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
My car just arrived from its 1st service and an expected service bill of 9000+ . I dont know if its my car but overall I feel my other diesels drive better than Vento TDI. The throttle response is quite vague now and it takes a sweat to drive it fast compared to Ritz which responds just on pressing the throttle. Though the smoothness of the TDI engine is far superior to Ford's and Maruti's but the fun to drive factor is not giving me reasons to drive it more.

Somehow I enjoy the Ritz's power delivery and so too Figo's smooth no lag engine.. I will try driving it on expressway and see if the new filters or engine tuning did have an effect on performance or not. But yes, fuel economy is a killer 19-20 now on mix or open stretches and traffic which keep me away from fuel pumps.
Mate, can you scan the service bill please - especially would like to view the cost of parts. Coming to the "fun to drive" factor , I guess you are missing the turbo spooling of the Ritz - the Vento's TDi has much less of lag thus would have less turbo spooling (the sudden rush factor) but speed/ acceleration wise the Vento would be way ahead of the Ritz . Due to minimal turbo lag , in fact the vento should be less of a sweat to drive in traffic. If thats not the case then there is something wrong with your car and needs a look at by the workshop folks.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 23:52   #4917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Got my VW Vento TDI highline Terra Beige on 17th July from VW Delhi West after a lot of head banging between the Rapid and Vento .
One more Vento with a TBHPian from Delhi, congrats
VW Delhi West is great, just follow up regularly with your sales guy for RC and HSN Plate slip, they always forget about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Got delivery of my car today evening. It was a very smooth process all together. The VW salesman was a good professional and he did a good job.
Congrats! Looks great and great FE figures you are getting!

Guys, took my car for a little spin on the Yamuna Expressway - the speeds I touched I won't be discussing here as it's against the rules and law - but the car was solid on ground at speeds beyond 150KMPH - which was surprising. Had a peacock cross because of which I had to jam the brakes at around 130KMPH and steer left cuz of which ABS kicked in but the car stopped dead, I just panicked cuz of the co-pax panicking and steered away instead of speeding and crossing the peacock safely (which was possible, but don't know how the peacock would have reacted).

What should one do when an animal comes out of nowhere? I saw lots of dead dogs on the way- I wouldn't want to kill a Peacock - but i'm wondering when these animals come out of nowhere and you are at high speeds what is better running over or steering away and jamming the brakes? Not always possible to steer cuz of oncoming traffic... comments?

Last edited by madnish30 : 19th August 2012 at 23:54.
Old 20th August 2012, 00:07   #4918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Repair and painting would be covered 100% for the rear, so might as well get it done. If you file to separate claims you'll have pay the processing fee twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Your front bumper would be easily be replaced, the agent may ask the rear bumper to be repaired. Can't say for sure without seeing pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not for minor dents & painting jobs. By your description, it doesn't seem a major issue. And I did mean a good garage, that has the necessary equipment. There are a a few good ones in every metro(s).

What you quoted is the general point - which of course no one would disagree. Going to the A$$ for minor jobs gives you a feel-good factor, which is a tad difficult to obtain if one goes to 3rd party garages. In the end, it's a personal choice.

Btw there is no recommended check at 7500 kms. IMO, I'd suggest getting it rectified as early as possible - you never know if the problem could become worse. But then you haven't shared any images, so you are the best person to decide on this.
Finally got some time to get this checked - got an estimate of 30,000 and around 13,000 after claim (I don't have zero-dep).

According the the Body shop manager following parts MAY need to be changed:

Front bumper - 3800
Show Grill - 2600
Monogram - 1500
Lower Grill - 1600
Absorbers - 2500
Rear Bumper - 3500

Other costs labor painting etc - 10,000++

Attached image of front bumper, rear bumper just has a crack - nothing major. Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img2012072800163.jpg

I see no damage to upper grill, monogram or lower grill - lower grill is miss aligned due to the impact.... and what is "absorbers" he said they are inside and may or may not need replacement...

I'm in two minds wheather to get this done or not... the car has done 7,000 kms in around 80 days and I drive it a lot and these minor things will keep happening, he says the car is fine and no compulsion to get this done... but the issue is I have to get high-security number plate installed - and if I fix it on damaged bumper - I can't get a new one for new bumper without banging head with FIR at police and the RTO!
I'm confused - please help!
Old 20th August 2012, 07:54   #4919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
I'm in two minds whether to get this done or not... the car has done 7,000 kms in around 80 days and I drive it a lot and these minor things will keep happening, he says the car is fine and no compulsion to get this done... but the issue is I have to get high-security number plate installed - and if I fix it on damaged bumper - I can't get a new one for new bumper without banging head with FIR at police and the RTO!
I'm confused - please help!
I suggest getting this fixed. The bumper looked broken, and I don’t think it will have same structural integrity to absorb any impact.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:57   #4920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
What should one do when an animal comes out of nowhere? I saw lots of dead dogs on the way- I wouldn't want to kill a Peacock - but i'm wondering when these animals come out of nowhere and you are at high speeds what is better running over or steering away and jamming the brakes? Not always possible to steer cuz of oncoming traffic... comments?
If the animal is not big/heavy enough then the better thing to do is to just run over. I think thats an unwritten rule (or it might be a written rule also I dont know) in US where this problem is quite pronounced. Of course it is quite cruel thing to do but if you are doing speeds then theres always chance of a serious accident if you try to swerve your way around. and animals are unpredictable, esp dogs and there might still be an "accident" even if you try to avoid. But on the other hand running over leaves a bad taste in the mouth if your love animals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks