Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 13:19   #5971
BHPian

There were lot of queries about WD40. And how to apply. Here are few pics and video attached for your use

The wonder drug
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image3156789813.jpg

Pic when applied

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image4161598901.jpg

Video to apply. Example right rear door

Last edited by newtonMeter : 6th April 2013 at 13:27.
newtonMeter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 16:36   #5972
BHPian

I was searching for better tyre upgrades to the stock vento ones. Tyre dealer gave me 2 options :
A Drive @ 5k per tyre
Primacy lc @ 5.75 per tyre
Both are 195 60

My needs are better grip/braking and less road noise. Any recommendations ?
Old 6th April 2013, 20:36   #5973
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
I was searching for better tyre upgrades to the stock vento ones. Tyre dealer gave me 2 options :
A Drive @ 5k per tyre
Both are 195 60

Yokos for sure for better life and bubble resistance. You can also check C and S drives
Old 7th April 2013, 01:57   #5974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
There were lot of queries about WD40
Is this the solution for squeaky doors? I think that there are conflicting reports about suitability of WD40 on rubber? I prefer to use teflon lubricant, mentioned somewhere else on this forum for squeaks. Its available at a lot of modern bike stores
Old 7th April 2013, 12:59   #5975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Is this the solution for squeaky doors? I think that there are conflicting reports about suitability of WD40 on rubber? I prefer to use teflon lubricant, mentioned somewhere else on this forum for squeaks. Its available at a lot of modern bike stores

Squeaky doors solution i mentioned is typical in vento as the car moves over undulated surface. This issue is related to hardness of rubber lining on the door. If you push on the glass on a closed door, you could easily track the sound.

The key is to soften the rubber. There is another product called Gummi pfledge

http://www.einszett.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege.php
Old 7th April 2013, 14:02   #5976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Is this the solution for squeaky doors? I think that there are conflicting reports about suitability of WD40 on rubber?
Quote:
is typical in vento as the car moves over undulated surface

If you push on the glass on a closed door, you could easily track the sound.
Very much true.

Quote:
This issue is related to hardness of rubber lining on the door.

The key is to soften the rubber.
I really doubt this; the rubber on a brand new car getting hard! Moreover, I tried getting to the bottom of this (maybe it is still incomplete). I had initially doubted the felt finishing on top of the rubber on the door beading (not on the car but on the door). And today, I checked out masking the felt and then tried pushing the glass. Voila, the sound is almost gone.

So, I want to ask you guys whether this issue is really with the rubber or with the felt/velvet? Not many other cars I've seen the felt/velvet. Why VW engineers have provided it on top of rubber?

I've 2 videos for comparison, but they are 3 MB in size; how do I upload them here?

Couple of pics:

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_5239.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_5243.jpg
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 15:16   #5977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Very much true.

I really doubt this; the rubber on a brand new car getting hard! Moreover, I tried getting to the bottom of this (maybe it is still incomplete). I had initially doubted the felt finishing on top of the rubber on the door beading (not on the car but on the door). And today, I checked out masking the felt and then tried pushing the glass. Voila, the sound is almost gone.

So, I want to ask you guys whether this issue is really with the rubber or with the felt/velvet? Not many other cars I've seen the felt/velvet. Why VW engineers have provided it on top of rubber?

I've 2 videos for comparison, but they are 3 MB in size; how do I upload them here?

Couple of pics:
You could be right. I had Also applied WD on the velvet. Your experiment isolates the issue to be the velvet. It may be VELVET rubbing against the inner door rubber lining
Old 7th April 2013, 19:33   #5978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It may be VELVET rubbing against the inner door rubber lining
I think it is the velvet rubbing against the painted metal.

Quote:
Did some reduction in the size of the video using Freemake Video Convertor and then zipped it. Please check out the video : vento door squeak.zip
Old 7th April 2013, 19:37   #5979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Drive @ 5k per tyre
Both are 195 60

I would tend to disagree with the recommendation about Yoko C drives given the disastrous experience that I personally had . IMO, C drives have poor side wall strength and are very much prone to " bubbles " - 3 out of my 4 C drives went kaput like that .
I have been using Continental CPC2 and they have been very satisfying - not as quiet as C drives but does match up in all other factors and are better than C drives wrt side wall strength. A few more Vento owners on the forum like Mikon and Ninjatalli are also using Contis so you can ask them too

Quote:
I face the same issue and have tried to analyse it on my thread , you can refer to it My Ownership Thread- maybe it would be of help to you
Cheers

Last edited by souravc : 7th April 2013 at 19:49.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 20:20   #5980
Senior - BHPian

Some additional video found while searching for the squeak issue. This time it is a Volkswagen Golf. It is the same that I experience in the cabin. Very sad to have on a new car; a million rupee VW for that matter. I can live with any engine noise, but something squeaking right above my right ear is really irritating. Why are the engineers at Volkswagen not bothered about this at all, when they claim that they have engineered the smallest of details?

Read the comments below the video on YouTube too.

Old 8th April 2013, 04:57   #5981
BHPian

Quote:
The squeaky door issue seems to exist on all VW group cars, from the Golf to the Passat.

I've read in most places that the squeaks are between the felt lining and the painted surface, as @sauravc rightly diagnosed in his thread and @thoma in his post above.

The solution? One of these:
  1. Spray WD-40 on the felt lining.
  2. Apply petroleum jelly to the felt lining.
  3. Any other lubricant on the felt (which does not spoil your hands every time you open the doors!)
  4. Clean and wipe the door gaps everyday
  5. Apply carnauba wax to the painted surface that comes in contact with the felt.
  6. Stick some felt tape on the painted surface that comes in contact with the felt lining -

Last edited by nileshch : 8th April 2013 at 05:05.
nileshch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 00:40   #5982
BHPian

The white vento arrived yesterday, upgraded the tyres to primacy today. Speakers upgrade to focal planned this weekend.

Some observations so far, the NVH levels are close to the Rapid. The new Vento sports a new antenna, similar to the new swift. The 1st gear is very short, driving in bumper to bumper traffic wasn't easy, hopefully will get used to it. The car pulls well even at 30 kmph in 3rd gear. I am not crossing 2k rpm for initial period.

What is the run-in process to be followed for vento tdi. Please suggest.
Old 9th April 2013, 00:55   #5983
BHPian

Quote:
The white vento arrived yesterday, upgraded the tyres to primacy today. Speakers upgrade to focal planned this weekend.

Some observations so far, the NVH levels are close to the Rapid. The new Vento sports a new antenna, similar to the new swift. The 1st gear is very short, driving in bumper to bumper traffic wasn't easy, hopefully will get used to it. The car pulls well even at 30 kmph in 3rd gear. I am not crossing 2k rpm for initial period.

What is the run-in process to be followed for vento tdi. Please suggest.
Congrats for your Vento. Well the factory people as such do not recommend any Run In period as such. Most of the guys here have taken it easy for around first couple of thousand kms. That allows not only the engine but other parts of your car to break in well before you can explore the upper limits of the performance.

Wish you many many safe kms with the Vento.

CHEERS
Rachit
Old 9th April 2013, 10:09   #5984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Well the factory people as such do not recommend any Run In period as such.
Quote:
What is the run-in process to be followed for vento tdi.
There is specific instruction provided from Volkswagen regarding running-in. Refer page 215 of the owner's manual. A new engine needs to be run-in during the first 1500 kms. The style of driving during the first 1500 kms affects the engine quality. Moderate speeds and no lugging is what they recommend; this holds true even after running-in, when the engine is cold.

Up to 1000 kms,
- do not press accelerator fully.
- do not drive more than 2/3rd of the top engine speed. I am assuming this comes to 3300 RPM. (personal take : better to keep it below 2500 RPM as that is all that is needed to take her anywhere gently)

From 1000 to 1500 kms,
- gradually increase driving performance to top speed and highest engine speed.

It is also mentioned that if the engine is run in gently, the life of the engine will be increased and its oil consumption reduced.

Tires and brakes also need running-in:

- Drive particularly careful for the first 600 km with new tires as the tires need to be run-in. Tires that are not run in have reduced grip and braking effect.

- New brake pads cannot generate the full braking effect during the first 200 to 300 kms and must first be run-in. During the run-in, situations should be avoided that create a heavy load on the brakes and not to depress the brakes fully.

May be if you are not that concerned about longevity, you need not be text-booky. Just go easy for the first 1000 kms.
Old 9th April 2013, 13:58   #5985
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the new car.
I too have focal speakers, they are good ones.
If you need any info you could check my thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks