Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 08:49   #6166
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Noticed a difference in the idle rpm and also the fuel economy today. It's much better than what I used to get in the same stretch. It is a visible and noticeable difference as the mileage jumped to 16.5 from the normal 14.5. Is it something to do with ECU getting adjusted itself or the weather, as its cooler by 3-4 degrees than the last 60 days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Even I have noticed the same behaviour. ie. when the outside temperature is cooler, I get a better mileage.

Anyone else have noticed it?
Yes, the car gives better mileage at cooler temperatures and the engine makes lesser noise. I've observed that too. In fact, I notice it daily when, for example, I leave for office early in the morning, the engine is smoother than when I leave at say 11 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Guys what's your take on car covers?? Somebody has scratched my Vento using a stone.I don't want to get it done unless i am sure i can take precautions against it. Will covering the car make the paint lose its lustre??

Any good car covers you can suggest??
It is better to avoid one unless you really need it. Like in my case -- I park below a tree. So it necessitates use of a cover. I use the Polco Dupont Tyvek cover. You can take the required precautions, like making sure your car is absolutely clean before you put on the cover. Any grit on the surface will scratch the paint. Get a paint sealant treatment done too.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 11:10   #6167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Yes, the car gives better mileage at cooler temperatures and the engine makes lesser noise. I've observed that too. In fact, I notice it daily when, for example, I leave for office early in the morning, the engine is smoother than when I leave at say 11 am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Even I have noticed the same behaviour. ie. when the outside temperature is cooler, I get a better mileage.

Anyone else have noticed it?
Then, is it something to do with the Climate Control?
Old 15th May 2013, 11:35   #6168
Senior - BHPian

For the vibration problem that I had when the radiator cooling fan turned on, the service centre came back saying there is some problem with the fan and it has to be replaced.

Its not even one month over 2 year warranty expiry :(. Its going to cost 15,000 for the same. Have asked them to see if there is something mechanical that can be corrected with replacing it
Old 15th May 2013, 22:38   #6169
BHPian

Took a test drive today. My wife and myself were pretty impressed with the built quality, especially the heavy door. It feels sturdy and solid, consequently conveying a sense of safety, of being enclosed by a safe frame.

I am very very particular about engine noise. At about 2500 rpm (point of changing gears), I could hear some engine sound in the cabin with all windows closed. Does the engine mellow down with time? At idle and at lower rpm its absolutely quiet, I like it.

Most cars in this segment has ABS+EBD, Vento has only ABS. I am very conscious of safety. How important is EBD? I drive only within city limits, at less than 100kmph, incase this information helps.
Old 16th May 2013, 15:41   #6170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Most cars in this segment has ABS+EBD, Vento has only ABS. I am very conscious of safety. How important is EBD? I drive only within city limits, at less than 100kmph, incase this information helps.
Been there experienced that.
Read the following post for more details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2853430

Not a scratch to me inside the cabin. The crush zones were so good that the rear windshield was absolutely intact.

It was only because of ABS that I didnt go and bang the vehicle infront of me. Moreover I dive 60 km everyday on the ORR in Bangalore, right from the days when every flyover was getting constructed. The ABS is a delight and a savior, I have found it kicking in at a number of incidents. Dont worry about this, go ahead book your car!
Old 16th May 2013, 20:47   #6171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Been there experienced that.
Read the following post for more details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2853430

Not a scratch to me inside the cabin. The crush zones were so good that the rear windshield was absolutely intact.
That photograph is quite an eye opener, till now I had never thought of the trunk as a crumple zone at the rear. Anyway, my question is about the absence of EBD in the Vento. How important is it as a safety feature?
Old 16th May 2013, 21:06   #6172
BHPian

You also can refer to my thread on my accident in Polo. This is a damn safe car. Very rugged and hence my second car was from the same stable
Old 18th May 2013, 15:37   #6173
Senior - BHPian

My average FE on the MID (on the 2nd memory) got reset on its own while driving! How could it be?

And, this is what I got soon afterwards. Sorry for the crappy picture though.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-photo0107.jpg
Old 18th May 2013, 17:25   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
My average FE on the MID (on the 2nd memory) got reset on its own while driving! How could it be?

And, this is what I got soon afterwards. Sorry for the crappy picture though.

Attachment 1085045
The manual says the second memory will be reset after 1999 kms or 9999 kms as set at the service centre. It may be reset even based on journey time which the manual says 19 hrs and 59 minutes or 99 hrs and 59 minutes. Yours could be the later as the odo reads 2394 kms. After this incident is the mileage changing or stays constant at 29.3 kmpl?
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 19:42   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
The manual says the second memory will be reset after 1999 kms or 9999 kms as set at the service centre. It may be reset even based on journey time which the manual says 19 hrs and 59 minutes or 99 hrs and 59 minutes. Yours could be the later as the odo reads 2394 kms. After this incident is the mileage changing or stays constant at 29.3 kmpl?
Oh yes! Now I vaguely remember reading something like that. Thanks. After the reset, the second memory now shows 95 kms, 28 km/hr avg speed, 3.2X hrs and 20 kmpl. So it indeed could be 100 hrs on the wheels of the Vento when the reset happened; the average speed before the reset might have come around 23 kmph then (~2300 kms for 100 hrs).
Old 18th May 2013, 19:42   #6176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
For the vibration problem that I had when the radiator cooling fan turned on, the service centre came back saying there is some problem with the fan and it has to be replaced.

Its not even one month over 2 year warranty expiry :(. Its going to cost 15,000 for the same. Have asked them to see if there is something mechanical that can be corrected with replacing it
A little more elaboration on this please. What exactly is the problem with the fan - could you get their explanation?

And also you should be getting a second opinion on that; primarily from a reliable FNG who has experience with Skoda (& VW) cars.
Old 18th May 2013, 23:30   #6177

My Vento Tdi HL, Dec 2011 model had a dream run till 42k km. Then problems started..

1. On a daily highway drive, there was sudden onset slippage of 2nd and 4th gears. Car was taken to the service center, SA took prolonged test drives, mechanics checked the internals- no problem was found in the gear system. But the second issue cropped up..
2. On removing the engine cover, they noticed minimal fuel leak from near the injectors.

After much deliberations, the leak was supposed to be due to some O ring going kaput(blamed on ?bad quality fuel), part wasn't in stock - asked to wait for 2 weeks. It was promised to be cleared under warranty.
For the gear slippage, some cables were adjusted and the problem declared fixed.
Took delivery of the car and drove for around 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, had gear slippage issues twice. The ordered parts arrived, the car was taken in for the works to be carried out. The fuel leak was addressed,NOT UNDER WARRANTY, as no warranty on rubber parts. Again experts couldn't find any fault with the gear system. Couldn't press further as I was not able to reproduce the slippage issue before them.
Again took back the car, 1 week later the slippage of 2nd and 4th gears recurred. Reached home and was about to park the car when it got STUCK IN REVERSE GEAR.
Now the car has been towed to the service center and is awaiting diagnostics and repairs.

How to proceed further. please advise pals.
aaja45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:34   #6178
BHPian

Observed a new issue. On engaging reverse gear, the gear stick pops up a bit with a khat sound. This does not happen for any other gear and reverse too works fine.

Pls see the videos attached. Keep up the device volume on which u play the video and observer the gear stick as soon as I engage reverse.

1.zip
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:36   #6179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaja45 View Post
My Vento Tdi HL, Dec 2011 model had a dream run till 42k km. Then problems started..For the gear slippage, some cables were adjusted and the problem declared fixed.
Took delivery of the car and drove for around 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, had gear slippage issues twice. The ordered parts arrived, the car was taken in for the works to be carried out. The fuel leak was addressed,NOT UNDER WARRANTY, as no warranty on rubber parts. Again experts couldn't find any fault with the gear system. Couldn't press further as I was not able to reproduce the slippage issue before them.
Again took back the car, 1 week later the slippage of 2nd and 4th gears recurred. Reached home and was about to park the car when it got STUCK IN REVERSE GEAR.
Now the car has been towed to the service center and is awaiting diagnostics and repairs.
How to proceed further. please advise pals.
Gear slippage is a serious issue, and it will compound as the times goes on. I have had a first hand experience of this with my Scorpio. For almost 6 months I was not able to convince / replicate this at the A.S.S., but after a time the issue deteriorated to an extent where the 1 & 2 gears would not hold as the retaining rings were defective and finally the gear box was replaced under warranty.

You would need to follow up rigorously, escalate to the senior management to have people listen to you.

All the best

Last edited by m_upreti : 22nd May 2013 at 12:39.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 13:33   #6180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Observed a new issue. On engaging reverse gear, the gear stick pops up a bit with a khat sound. This does not happen for any other gear and reverse too works fine.

Pls see the videos attached. Keep up the device volume on which u play the video and observer the gear stick as soon as I engage reverse.

Attachment 1086445
From when are you observing this issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks