Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 20:26   #7306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

^^ Am not sure about *under* 30kmph but I have experienced ABS kicking in successfully at around 40-50 kmph on occasion. If it isn't working in your car, better to take it in for a checkup.
Old 10th November 2014, 21:24   #7307
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanFarhan View Post
Is it just me or does any one else feel that the rear brakes release way too early and even before ABS has to intervene. ( In city speeds and rapid braking under 30kph in very grippy tarmac and good rear tires)

No pedal pulsation when this occurs. Very easily repeatable with just the front passengers. Doesn't happen with 3 or more passengers.

It sort of feels the car just moves forward, a bit more than needed. With the sound and feel of releasing drum brakes. (similar to the feel of releasing the handbrake on a slight incline).

It has happened a couple of times on gentle braking from similar speeds but in mildly wet conditions and the car moved an extra 2 feet, almost clipping the vehicle in front.

I drive a white 2012Nov Vento HL Tdi and with 30k km on the odo.
This might be a stupid question, especially since you are have driven 30k with the car, but just want to get this out of my head :
- could it be the 'anti-stalling feature' that provides the unexpected push, further aggravating the random 'early brake release' human error ?
Old 10th November 2014, 22:21   #7308
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHP'ians and Vento Owners, I am a newbie here and here's my first post.

I have skimmed through the pages in this thread, haven't spotted a post with a similar Issue. Calling out anyone who has witnessed the same issue.

Is it just me or does any one else feel that the rear brakes release way too early and even before ABS has to intervene. ( In city speeds and rapid braking under 30kph in very grippy tarmac and good rear tires)

No pedal pulsation when this occurs. Very easily repeatable with just the front passengers. Doesn't happen with 3 or more passengers.

It sort of feels the car just moves forward, a bit more than needed. With the sound and feel of releasing drum brakes. (similar to the feel of releasing the handbrake on a slight incline).

It has happened a couple of times on gentle braking from similar speeds but in mildly wet conditions and the car moved an extra 2 feet, almost clipping the vehicle in front.

So its not just me then. I too have felt a "release" effect, as though the brakes start to bite and then release quickly without ABS activating.

It can get pretty scary in our bumper-to-bumper traffic when the guy in front steps on the brakes suddenly.

As venkyhere speculates, it could be the Anti-Stall. Should be simple to check that by braking hard with the clutch depressed. If it does not happen, then it probably is due to the anti-stall kicking in. Although I for one would rather the engine stalled than that I ran into the vehicle in front (or the daft person jaywalking in the face of traffic).
Old 11th November 2014, 01:16   #7309

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
So its not just me then. I too have felt a "release" effect, as though the brakes start to bite and then release quickly without ABS activating.

It can get pretty scary in our bumper-to-bumper traffic when the guy in front steps on the brakes suddenly..
I'm pretty sure it's not the anti-stall kicking in. It does happen with the clutch pedal floored.

This release effect is specific to the rear axle.

A couple of ASS test drivers have taken the car for a spin, but they just say it is normal. Although this release effect can be easily felt and replicated, they don't pass it off as a problem.

Have got my rear brakes checked in the 30k service, they say it's in good shape.

It hasn't happened in any critical condition so far.
Old 11th November 2014, 09:10   #7310
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHP'ians and Vento Owners, I am a newbie here and here's my first post.

I have skimmed through the pages in this thread, haven't spotted a post with a similar Issue. Calling out anyone who has witnessed the same issue.

This is mostly because of the high bottom end torque of the diesel. At lower rpm, diesel cars need more effort on the brakes. Happens even with other torquey diesels like the Scorpio for instance. I don't think this issue will be faced in a petrol car. All depends on the amount of power developed at the respective rpm.
Old 11th November 2014, 10:00   #7311
BHPian

Mod Note : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th November 2014 at 08:24. Reason: See note in post.
pixantz is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th November 2014, 17:04   #7312
Senior - BHPian

Noticed a peculiar thing with my Vento TDi today, upon reaching home after a drive of around 20 kms, parked the car and let it idle for a minute to let turbo idle. I noticed that the engine sound was more and then noticed the rpm needle was stuck at 1000 rpm compared to 800-900 it usually idles at, even the radiator fan was on. Let it be like that for 3-4 mins but the rpm was stuck at 1000. Switched the car off, the radiator fan also went off.

Cranked again and the rpm was now idling back at 800-900 it does, this has happened second time this month. What could be the reason? Engine can non be cold after a drive of 20 kms, its pleasant here in Delhi. Anything to worry about?
Old 12th November 2014, 18:48   #7313
BHPian

Probably because your ac might have been on.....
Old 12th November 2014, 19:49   #7314

I've noticed it many times on the Vento TDI, it usually happens when the rear defogger is on and in slow moving conditions and . IMO it is just for the Alternator to generate more power for the defogger hence higher rpm.

Was your Defogger on?
Old 12th November 2014, 20:35   #7315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Probably because your ac might have been on.....
Nopes, the ac was not running.
Quote:
I've noticed it many times on the Vento TDI, it usually happens when the rear defogger is on and in slow moving conditions and . IMO it is just for the Alternator to generate more power for the defogger hence higher rpm.
Was your Defogger on?
I was not using the defogger for sure but i do have after market audio set up in my car. Two amplifiers, pioneer touch screen audio and a woofer thumping in the back. The set up is there in the car for an year now, could it be the battery loosing juice?
Old 12th November 2014, 21:05   #7316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Nopes, the ac was not running.

I was not using the defogger for sure but i do have after market audio set up in my car. Two amplifiers, pioneer touch screen audio and a woofer thumping in the back. The set up is there in the car for an year now, could it be the battery loosing juice?
Its not anything to do with ICE setup etc. As far as logic suggests, all rpm regulations/control is the ecm's forte. That guy controls everything. Maybe you need to reset your ecm by removing the negative battery cable and waiting about 10 minutes before reconnecting and then crank up and leave to idle without touching the throttle or anything else for a further 10 min to allow the ecm to set. Or better still go to your dealer and ask them to update your ecm with the latest software. I've heard people have been doing this recently and having pleasing results like smoother ride etc. Check it out.

Last edited by pixantz : 12th November 2014 at 21:07.
Old 12th November 2014, 22:13   #7317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
IOr better still go to your dealer and ask them to update your ecm with the latest software. I've heard people have been doing this recently and having pleasing results like smoother ride etc. Check it out.
Already got the update done around 15 days back, engine noise has reduced drastically and VW have even added some weight to the lifeless steering.
This happened once before the update and now today after the update, will keep an eye on it and update.
Will reset the ecu if this happens again though i dont think that is gonna work.
Old 13th November 2014, 01:06   #7318
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2014 at 15:22.
pixantz is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2014, 22:14   #7319

Since the first service of my vento, the clamp which held the ecu module has been broken. Failed to rectify it during the 2 services that my car has gone through. Service centre guys fixed it temporarily but it falls after some time. Is there any way to secure it properly?
Old 16th November 2014, 23:44   #7320
BHPian

Finally got a lip spoiler for my car
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416161441.242587.jpg
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416161554.750203.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416161578.302025.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416161636.276856.jpg

Credits- rossocorsa,atharvak & nikhils photography @mods please delete the old post as pictures didn't get added
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416161488.945828.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20141116-11.54.31-pm.png  

Last edited by Ferrariwell : 16th November 2014 at 23:58.
Ferrariwell is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed