Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 17:31   #7801
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
About the front windshield at 4,400, it doesn't include labour. I have to get the front windscreen replaced as a stone has hit my screen. I have V-Kool windscreen film & to replace that too, my total expenditure will be atleast above 15k.
Yes, that was just the windshield price. To be precise the breakup, including taxes, is:
Windshield: Rs. 4313
Sealant: Rs. 723
Labor: Waived off for me as a goodwill gesture, but approx. Rs. 1,000.

All included, that's Rs. 6,000, which is reasonable, imo, and digresses from the 'VW cars are very expensive to maintain' theme that's generally accepted.

Also, to continue on the cheap theme, some kid broke the RH tail lamp of the Vento yesterday: called the workshop, and discovered the price is Rs. 2,000, including labor - will give you the exact price, if you want, when I get it done tomorrow.

My point was, VW has really rationalized prices, and that is very admirable.

As an aside, does the V-Kool windscreen film cost Rs. 9,000, more than 1.5 times the price of the windshield?!!!
(Calculating basis your Rs. 15k total estimate)
Old 21st June 2015, 16:01   #7802

VW Vento HL DSL CLUTCH

My vento is now 3 years old and have run 40000+kms. Recently I am observing as the car heats up, the air-conditioner fails to chill followed by drop in power. The turbo fails to turn on. Only after switching off the AC for sometime, it again chills and also regains the power. The clutch pedal has also become stiff. I have cleaned the radiator and the car is fine. Worried about the stiff clutch. Kindly advice of cost of overhauling the clutch or solutions. Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 21:34   #7803
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Vento HL DSL CLUTCH

The car seems to be overheating. What are the temperatures when this happens.

Re: Clutch hard, if it's not slipping and the friction plate is fine, you can change only the pressure plate (cost effective). However the labour is same for both, so, I'd recommend changing clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing.
Old 22nd June 2015, 08:40   #7804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoocal View Post
Kindly advice of cost of overhauling the clutch or solutions. Thanks
You better change clutch plate and pressure plate before flywheel gets damaged. If fly wheel is damaged, it will cost a bomb. Pressure plate and clutch plate will cost 18k and release bearing 2k
tikku.dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 08:55   #7805

Thanks for the suggestions ... But any idea on the damages at authorized VW workshop? My local garage is asking for 11k with German parts. What should be the average life of a clutch plate?
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:03   #7806
BHPian

I had gone to the VW workshop over the weekend to get the rear right side taillight replaced (Rs. 2035, including labor) and discovered something new & interesting:

Suspension
The SA mentioned that contrary to popular belief, suspension warranty is also for 2 years. This including struts, arms, etc. Only the rubber parts are excluded from this warranty.

Very surprising, and very reassuring.

The start point of this conversation was what seemed like suspension noise that I'd heard one time, in the 6 month old Vento TSI, and that could not be reproduced during the test drive - he reassured me, telling me about the 2 year thing. I specifically asked him about the 10,000km warranty for suspension, which I remember some SA telling me about back in 2012 in the context of my TDI, but this SA, who's been here 1 year, said that's not been the case for a while, and it definitely is 2 years / 1 lac km.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions ... But any idea on the damages at authorized VW workshop? My local garage is asking for 11k with German parts. What should be the average life of a clutch plate?
Don't you have extended warranty? In that case, stepping out of the VW fold is a bad idea.

Anyways, VW part & labor prices have really come down lately, so going to an outside service station doesn't make that much sense anymore.

Also, if I may say so, have your workshop diagnose the problem and then ask the community to ratify the proposed solution, if you want. Starting with asking the community to diagnose a complicated problem is like using Google instead of a doctor to heal yourself - there's a good chance it won't end well for you.

Last edited by bosporus : 22nd June 2015 at 13:14.
bosporus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:20   #7807
BHPian

I had replaced by right taillight this weekend and yesterday, I happened to notice the box it come in - as per normal practice, old parts are returned in the box the new part came in.

I noticed the sticker in the bottom left corner, and was surprised to see that VW now gets an individual to sign off on every part that leaves the factory. Which is so nice, because it not only instils pride of work in every individual worker, it also ensures better quality control and individual accountability. But most importantly, it shows that the new customer satisfaction focus of VW runs deeper than the 'extremely satisfied' ratings they now make their service stations slog for.

Really good to know, and more strength to VW
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0684.jpg  

bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 00:10   #7808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_91 View Post
Such cost cutting measures from a luxury brand is not a pleasing sight.
In the newer models, Volkswagen has silently replaced the dual tone horn in Vento and Polo to a single tone horn.
On earlier models the horn sounds really good with that polyphonic sound (like phhhaaam),

After the downgrade to a single tone horn, its more like an unpleasant wailing sound (like paaa) when you suddenly hear the horn.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th June 2015 at 00:13.
Old 24th June 2015, 13:01   #7809
BHPian

Quote:
I had casually enquired sometime back as my car had crossed 65,000 kms and was told a price of ~INR 50,000. It's because they replace the whole assembly including the flywheel whereas outside they would only replace necessary parts.

I am still on the stock clutch which is quite hard but nevertheless.
Old 25th June 2015, 15:41   #7810
BHPian

So my Jan 2014 vento tdi is 50k kms up. Facing some problems and some pointers would be really helpful:

1. The car on braking from speeds of 110-100 is causing vigorous vibrations in the steering wheel. No braking problems and no vibrations on the brake pedal. Just steering wobbling/vibrations.

2. The car on coming to a standstill after lets say a 25-30km journey starts shaking. Did not observe this happening on the shorter runs. Happening since last two days.

Last edited by ramneek009 : 25th June 2015 at 15:44.
Old 25th June 2015, 19:40   #7811
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
So my Jan 2014 vento tdi is 50k kms up. Facing some problems and some pointers would be really helpful:

1. The car on braking from speeds of 110-100 is causing vigorous vibrations in the steering wheel. No braking problems and no vibrations on the brake pedal. Just steering wobbling/vibrations.

2. The car on coming to a standstill after lets say a 25-30km journey starts shaking. Did not observe this happening on the shorter runs. Happening since last two days.
1. Please get Wheel Alignment and Balancing done. (Mostly due to balancing)
2.I have experienced this in the Rapid DSG after a manic and spirited drive, it was also present on the Fabia 1.6. You can try and contact the service station, your engine mounts might have gone bad.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 00:19   #7812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
1. Please get Wheel Alignment and Balancing done. (Mostly due to balancing)
2.I have experienced this in the Rapid DSG after a manic and spirited drive, it was also present on the Fabia 1.6. You can try and contact the service station, your engine mounts might have gone bad.
Balancing alignment was done the very next day the problem surfaced. Tyres and rims were checked. Something else is wrong. For the second problem even i thought engine mounts were the problem.

Anyway car is going to service station tomorrow. Lets see what they figure out.
Old 26th June 2015, 08:34   #7813
Senior - BHPian

Just checking if any vento TDI owners have had the frustrating experience of getting their Turbo replaced. I own a Rapid TDI and my car's turbo and EGR are being replaced ( under warranty) at just 25k on the ODO. Since the ventos outnumber the rapids in our forum, I just thought of checking here. Do let me know if any one had a similar experience and any precautions that I need to take once I have mine replaced.
Old 26th June 2015, 09:59   #7814

I face a different problem. I had serviced my car at Bosch and since then, I have hearing brake squeal. I went back to them, they cleaned the pads, the disc and claimed to have fixed the issue. The squeal returned shortly. Am I ruining the disc if the squeal persists?

Quote:
Balancing alignment was done the very next day the problem surfaced. Tyres and rims were checked. Something else is wrong. For the second problem even i thought engine mounts were the problem.

Old 26th June 2015, 11:43   #7815
BHPian

Quote:

For 1, it could be that the brake discs have gone bad.

Most Viewed