Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2016, 17:03   #8161
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Do you mean to say that you do not hear this sound after a cold start?

Do you hear this sound only on the ramp or you hear it on the level road too? If on the ramp, do you hear it after cold start?

In forward gears: do you hear it only on the ramps? Do you hear it after cold starts?

Can you record the sound and post it here? This will enable the other members to help you better.
Thanks for the reply mate !

Yes did not here this sound on cold start.

Do you hear this sound only on the ramp or you hear it on the level road too? If on the ramp, do you hear it after cold start?
Hearing this sound when I reverse up the ramp or on the inclined road, from past 2 days started hearing this even while moving forward on ramp or on inclined road....but did not here this on cold start.

In forward gears: do you hear it only on the ramps? Do you hear it after cold starts?
Not on cold starts, but only on ramps, inclined roads after few kms of run.
Will check particularly on cold start and let you know.

Can you record the sound and post it here? This will enable the other members to help you better.
I will try recording the sound and post it here.
Old 16th January 2016, 17:21   #8162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Was planning a long trip next month so gave it for general inspection at the service centre.

Got a call from SA saying that there is a slight humming noise from the front wheels and there could be a problem with the bearings. And, it is nothing to worry now.

I told him about my long trip plan and he assured me that the noise is not very prominent and we could look at it later. I checked the rates and he said Rs2,000 each for the two front wheels.

Now, being a novice in tech matters, I want to know if something needs to be done now. I don’t hear any humming sound, or rather, there is nothing unfamiliar with the sound I am used to when driving. So, should I get it checked from an independent garage?
Follow proper driving practice, do not be harsh (careful over bad patches, potholes, no high speed at turns, no sudden pick-up or braking etc.) you can manage the trip without worries.

Do have a second opinion. Do not tell the second garage about wheel noise. Wait if they say anything on their own. Chances are bearing failure are rare, the bearings shall not fail in just 12900 km. In any case, this shall be under warrantee.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 17:29   #8163
BHPian

thanks buddy. will surely go for a second opinion. will also check if bearings can be changed under warranty. A friend too told me that bearing failure is not very common at 12900.
Old 17th January 2016, 10:26   #8164
BHPian

Went in the evening to pick up the car. SA told me the humming sound is very faint and the bearings could be replaced during the next service, which is at least six months away. He also said it would be covered under my extended warranty.

Mods, please merge with the above post if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hello guys!

1) What FE are you getting for the 1.6 petrol in normal city conditions?
2) Is the maintenance cost really high as I've heard or has it gone down after the heavy localisation by VW?
3) We plan to keep the car for about 6-7 years. Will the high cost of ownership make sense for us as we have very low running of 10k<1 year.
1) I get between an FE of 8.5 to 10 in heavy city traffic and on highways, especially during my recent trip when the vehicle was carrying four adults and three kids (12, 9 and 5 yrs) and a boot full of luggage, I got an FE of 17 with ac in full blast at a speed of 90-120 kmph (not tank to tank method but based on average fe readings on odo). On expressways, I have even touched 20.5 without ac during early mornings (don’t know if there is something special for Volkswagen vehicles during early mornings). For some strange reason, I get the best mileage when cruising at 110-120 kmph

2) During my two-years-and-a-few-months of ownership, I haven’t paid a single penny extra. Service costs come to around Rs 8,000 because I get wheel alignment and balancing from outside. As I have mentioned in another post, the service centre has flagged a humming sound from front wheels, which it said, will cost Rs 2,000 for each wheels if not under warranty. Don’t know if the cost is high compared to others.

3) Tried to sell the car recently (was planning to buy s-cross 1.6) a few months ago. The car, vento mpi comfortline, had been with me for just two years then. Was offered Rs 4 lakhs. When told about the pristine condition of the car plus extended warranty etc, I was offered Rs 4.5 lakhs. Immediately shelved plans to buy a new car.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th January 2016 at 02:13. Reason: Please use the edit button instead of creating successive posts within a short time.
Old 17th January 2016, 11:21   #8165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5999 View Post
Thanks for the reply mate !

Yes did not here this sound on cold start.

Hearing this sound when I reverse up the ramp or on the inclined road, from past 2 days started hearing this even while moving forward on ramp or on inclined road....but did not here this on cold start.

Not on cold starts, but only on ramps, inclined roads after few kms of run.
Will check particularly on cold start and let you know.

I will try recording the sound and post it here.
You hear the sound only after the engine has warmed up and it is loaded a bit or revved. Suggest you to check the coolant level and top up if necessary.

Upon hearing the sound, more can be suggested.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 21:05   #8166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Gave the car for serviced yesterday at EVM motors Kochi. Apart from normal service they skimmed the brake discs and changed a lock carrier ( holding the radiator) which had broken due to an impact ( probably by hitting a dog on the highway or going over a log of wood).
It seems you are getting similar problems that I had with my car. Last time it was the check engine and this regarding lock carrier. Even my lock carrier got broken an year back. This happened when I nose dived from a road that was a bit higher to one that's a bit lower.

Now I have another problem. A bike rider hit me on the back and the tail light is broken. My service is due on 27th. Can I drive as it is till 27th or I have to take any precautions? I saw some previous post that said, it costs around 2000 for one tail light. Is there any official spare part price list from VW, which I can use to check?
Old 23rd January 2016, 02:01   #8167
BHPian

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi guys. I am going for the second service (30,000 kms) of my Vento 1.6 TDI tomorrow. The dealer is located 200 kms from my place. Just to be slightly better informed than the usual unwary customer,I would like to know some useful points to keep in mind. I have already read the usual guidelines and points to avoid scamming in our forum,but want to know other pertinent points specific to this vehicle and service.
While booking appointment, I was given an estimate of around 9000 INR. I have decided to reject their offer for WA & WB, washing etc. What I want to know is , what other areas the VW A.S.S usually try to scam people with?
1. How do I decide things with brake pads and discs- I mean whether to replace /skim etc? When to do brake bleeding?
Another worry is that, service indicator in my MID shows -7100 kms. But the odo stands at 29950 kms and last service was done promptly at 15,000 kms.
2. Is that any problem or just that its programmed to show indicator every 7500 kms?
3. How do I differentiate ABS Kicking and brake judder?
4. Advice regarding changing wiper blades - when to do so?
5. Ways to remove hard water spots in windshield in service centre or will it lead to another scam by them?
6. Can I convince the SA to help me fit plug & play relay,ceramic holder & 100/90w bulbs by saying there's no need to tamper with wiring or will it still be a no-no?
Thanks in advance.
Will update details tomorrow.

Last edited by printh : 23rd January 2016 at 02:03.
Old 23rd January 2016, 03:26   #8168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Hi guys. I am going for the second service (30,000 kms) of my Vento 1.6 TDI tomorrow............Thanks in advance.
Will update details tomorrow.
Hi Printh, I have been using Vento for 5 years and based on my experience there should be not many surprises in second service (Believe me they came in 5th service and more to come in 6th one )

1. Break Disk till 30000 KM should be just fine. Disc does not go bad so fast unless your pads are completely gone and their base started cutting disc out. At the maximum Disc skimming might be required and that will cost 1,500 approximately.
As far as the pads are concerned that depends on individual driving and breaking habit. My pads lasted for 3 year however one of my friends pad gets changed each year. Your SA is going to measure depth of break pads and if below a specific threshold he should advise change.

2. Ask SA to set MID correctly, As long as you are servicing correctly at 15K and 30K its fine. Most likely he did not set service due time correctly. Has it been more than one year for your last service?

3. When ABS kicks it will throw the padal back and you will feel vibrations, If you have doubts let SA take test drive and ask him to feel vibrations through break/steering

4. Only change when its damaged. I haven't changed mine in 5 year even if now its leaving one line of water behind. Although its not that costly to change this so entirely upto you.

5. Ask him if he can remove them free of cost as good gesture. Don't pay for it as whatever they do I am sure you can get it done cheaper outside.

6. You can ask but i am 100% sure he will say NO, I have 100/90 installed and i got them installed through shop person from whom i purchased relay.

Things you should avoid if suggested:
- Any additive claiming to enhance engine life/better efficiency in fuel etc.
- Water additive for front wiper (They once charged me 300-400 bucks for this and that water got emptied in less than 1 month.)
- Ask him how much oil he has filled and he has charged. If there is any left over take it with you so that later you can use it for top up.
- Purchase extended warranty if you still have not purchased it. Its a MUST.

Since its almost 2 year your original warranty is coming to end, make sure you ask SA to check everything and change under warranty.

- Is there any excessive vibrations coming through gear? or when starting car does engine itself vibrates more than usual? Ask SA to change engine and Gear mount they are covered under warranty but not extended one.
- Apart from that steering issue and injector issue which i have seen people have more frequently are covered under extended warranty so no need to worry much. However better to get checked.
Old 23rd January 2016, 06:23   #8169
BHPian

Thanks karan. My cars has done exactly one year and last service was about 6 months back.
I will then better change the wiper blades and it leaves water in few areas in the bottom of windshield.
Since now,I had dealt with a different dealer from where I bought the car and was not given excess unused oil. The amount required was topped up and billed as per the quantity used.
Thanks again for your valuable inputs.
Old 24th January 2016, 00:05   #8170
BHPian

Just wanted to share a quick update about what happened today afternoon in Mohali.

I have been using Vento TDI for almost 3 years now and done 35000 Km without a single niggle but today as I as coming back from office I felt heavy vibration from the font end like like engine is trying to break free from the rest of the car. Stopped on the side of the road and switched off the engine. After waiting for a couple of minutes restarted the car and the RPM's went erratic randomly jumping from 700 to about 1400. Quickly switched off the engine again and put the hazards on. I knew that I had been hit by the injectors issues discussed a few posts back.

My car is still under extended warranty and RSA so called the toll free number and call was answered in couple of minutes. The lady on the other end promptly connected me to RSA person as RSA now has a different number. The RSA guy Parteek asked for the car details and my current location and the issue I had, then asked me to wait for 5 minutes for his call back. Initially I was disappointing that I may have to wait for few hours but he got back to me within flat 3 minutes and told me that the tow truck guy is in the conference call so I need to explain him my current location, which I did. To my surprise he was at my location in 30 minutes with a proper flat bed truck. Car was loaded in another 20 minutes . The VW RSA team was very helpful and handled the situation very well. Kudos to them.

Now coming to the actual issue; we reached the VW Chandigarh service station at 5:15PM and the car was unloaded. I went to reception but no service advisers were available as they were handling car deliveries as it was almost end of the shift so had to wait 15 minutes. Once initial formalities were done a mechanic checked the car and told that it is most probably a fueling issue, can be as simple as contaminants in the tank to full injector or common rail failure. The will diagnose the car on Monday and will update me on what they found. I asked for the reason of failure and they pointed to bad fuel quality but I get fuel only from 2 stations which are the most reputed in the city and have been using them since we bought the car so bad fuel quality is out of the window. I am not sure what they will say on Monday but hoping for the best.

As this is the first ever breakdown of any car I owned I would welcome any feedback from fellow members on how to handle this situation better. I would like to ask that whether I go for the diagnosis part on Monday or wait for their feedback?

Thanks

PS: I just had the car serviced on 9th this month and their system showed no issue at all in the car.
Old 24th January 2016, 14:24   #8171
BHPian

Just a quick update, sold my 2012 Vento yesterday after a great journey of almost 4 years spanning over almost 60,000 KMs. It was a great ownership experience, mostly trouble free. Not too cheap to maintain, but worth the money. Great drive and great fun.

Thanks to all Ventoites on TBHP for helping as and when needed, this thread by far is one of the most engaged ones on TBHP and I will surely miss being a part of this.

Here's to the next mean machine and the many miles which follow.
Cheers!
Old 24th January 2016, 22:52   #8172
BHPian

Hi guys,my steed completed her second service (30000 kms) yesterday. Having had a bad experience with VW Pondicherry(overcharging & scamming), i took the trouble of going 196 kms to VW Salem to service her.

Total cost:
Service cost - Rs. 9606/-
Body cover - Rs. 1805/-
Fuel to & fro - Rs. 920/-
Toll charges - Rs. 280/-
Could have easily saved another 1000 Rs by not opting for windshield cleaner & wiper blade change.Since my car has no proper garage and has been standing out exposed to elements, the wiper blade has got stiffened and leaves water marks in lower mid portion of the windshield. So, i myself asked for & changed the blades with amounted to 600 Rs including labour charge.
The dealer in Pondicherry on enquiring over phone quoted Rs. 13,500/- for basic service without any problems to rectify. But the Salem people quoted around Rs.9000/-and finally stuck to it too.Also, car wash was complimentary whereas the former quoted Rs.300 plus tax for that. The VW guys at Pondicherry had given bill of Rs. 15000 and odd to my friend for the first service of his 2015 VW Vento TDI manual for just basic service.

I didn`t opt for the following in the service or else the price would`ve gone up.
1. A/C disinfection - Rs.800
2. WA & WB - Rs.1000
3. Interior cleaning- unknown cost.
The bill showed oil quantity as 4.5L. On asking about the extra 200ml , the SA told it`s the value automatically generated by the computer based on input of the car name & service km and can`t be altered by service personnel. Also, he claimed the routine amount filled, will be the same for all Ventos serviced and that it is as per VW recommendations & training. No firmware updates were available. The boot mat was shoddily placed back after service.

Points noted post-service:

1. The engine appeared smooth and clatter was reduced. The engine sound was also muted even on crossing 105 Kmph. i checked it switching off A/C & music too.
2. The throttle response was better with the tacho needle jumping like crazy with mild press on accelerator.
3. The FE as per MID showed a dip by 0.5 kmpl. I am a sedate driver and used to get constant 21.5 on highway trips. Post service the figure dropped to 20.5 kmpl on returning home given the same average speeds done.

Last edited by printh : 24th January 2016 at 22:54. Reason: formatting..
Old 25th January 2016, 00:35   #8173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Having had a bad experience with VW Pondicherry(overcharging & scamming), i took the trouble of going 196 kms to VW Salem to service her.

The VW guys at Pondicherry had given bill of Rs. 15000 and odd to my friend for the first service of his 2015 VW Vento TDI manual for just basic service.

These guys resort to outright daylight robbery in name of service it seems. Let me understand. For basic service, even if I make a bloated estimate like:

* Engine oil(synthetic)- 4500/-
* Oil Filter - 500/-
* Air Filter - 1500/-
* Washing/cleaning- 1000/-
* Miscellaneous Oils and other consumables- 1000/-
* Labour charges- 1000/-
Now considering these figures are ball-park and coupled with fleecing dealers costs would be a couple of 100 bucks more, it still works out to around 10k figure for what is mostly done in basic service for almost all cars. So still there is a 50% bloating over and above that too!

Actually in a fleecing country like ours, car owners have to make themselves aware of these nitty gritty in automobile maintenance costs. Otherwise the dealers have a hay day fleecing with glee.

I remember my former boss had his Cruz clutch overhaul done(it was not actually needed) for around 87k odd as advised by the ASC when the whole job, in however detailed manner wouldn't cost not more than 30k at that time.

The story continues....
Old 25th January 2016, 14:09   #8174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P242 View Post
I felt heavy vibration from the font end like like engine is trying to break free from the rest of the car. Stopped on the side of the road and switched off the engine. After waiting for a couple of minutes restarted the car and the RPM's went erratic randomly jumping from 700 to about 1400. Quickly switched off the engine again and put the hazards on. I knew that I had been hit by the injectors issues discussed a few posts back.
Got the car checked today and their system showed EGR failure. The part is not in stock so they ordered it and will take a week to arrive and is covered in extended warranty. Once they new EGR is in the injectors will be re checked. Hoping everything gets resolved soon.

What could be the main reason of EGR failure ?
Old 25th January 2016, 15:39   #8175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P242 View Post

Got the car checked today and their system showed EGR failure.

What could be the main reason of EGR failure ?
Hey P242, this seems to be a norm with VW TDI engines

I have had the privilege of going through the same thing and it was almost harrowing.

Link

My GT was grounded for nearly a month and has been running fine ever since the replacement.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks