Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 00:16   #8236
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
I want to keep this car for much longer next 3-4 year because that make sense financially however these cases and such heavy maintenance takes away peace of mind.
Exactly. Even I have the same notion. Why are the spares so costly and is it really a problem with these cars or the dealers are just ripping us off?

On a side note, my Garmin holder keeps slipping off (windshield mount). Any idea how to fix it or where I can get a spare?
Old 18th February 2016, 01:47   #8237
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Just an update, one side of front shocker has started leaking. Although its very minor but has started leaking. Plus they have diagnosed play in the shocker mounts as well. Thinking of getting the front shocker and mounts replaced.

The confusion is I am reading that VW has started using the India made shockers now which are softer. I don't think I want the softer one's. I am not sure about the TRW one's as well as they are stiffer. I am kind of happy with the current balance.

Any suggestions? I am planning to check with the SVC as what they have in stock and can they get the imported one's that came with the car.

The car has done 65K Kms.

Rachit
Old 18th February 2016, 01:53   #8238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I am not sure about the TRW one's as well as they are stiffer. I am kind of happy with the current balance.

Any suggestions?
Do get in touch with 'coolboy007' who has installed the TRW suspension on his Vento. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-vw-vento.html

He'll be able to give you a real-time picture of how they behave as compared to the OEM ones.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th February 2016 at 02:18.
Old 18th February 2016, 02:57   #8239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do get in touch with 'coolboy007' who has installed the TRW suspension on his Vento. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-vw-vento.html

He'll be able to give you a real-time picture of how they behave as compared to the OEM ones.
Yeah, I have read his report. Still confused.

His report suggests that the slow ride becomes harsher. Generally I slow down for rough patches so in my case it might not be what I wanted.

Will send him a PM.

Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 07:50   #8240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I left my car for inspection at VW service today morning and visited it later in evening when SA had completed the inspection.
The SA did not say anything for the oil or whatever that was on the inter cooler plumbing? (The pictures you uploaded).

Quote:
I want to keep this car for much longer next 3-4 year because that make sense financially however these cases and such heavy maintenance takes away peace of mind.
VW's are not cheap to fix. If there is some sort of comprehensive AMC available from VW, I suggest you sign up.
Old 18th February 2016, 16:28   #8241
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

VW's are not cheap to fix. If there is some sort of comprehensive AMC available from VW, I suggest you sign up.
You should not require an AMC plan to afford servicing a car of this category. These cars are bought by middle class working people who expect reliability, economical running and servicing costs. Most of their customers would not have car expenses paid by their employers. If VW's cars are priced in the same segment as their competitors, why does VW fleece people on servicing, maintenance and spares? Incidents like these justify the position of VW in India.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 20:40   #8242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
You should not require an AMC plan to afford servicing a car of this category. Incidents like these justify the position of VW in India.
If you are someone who can afford to spend north of 10lacs on a car, I don't see how another 5-6k for extended warranty cover or AMC can hurt.

Components can fail on a car. Some are cheap to replace, some are expensive. VW's aren't cheap to fix and this is a well known fact. Scheduled service for a Vento costs around Rs. 10,000 on average. I am pretty sure that most owners who put their money on a VW are well aware that the maintenance costs are higher than the competition. This applies more for someone who consulted this forum before putting their money on a VW.

VW's position in India has nothing to do with spare the part costs, it has more to do with their service standards. There is little you can do about this. The solution? Identify a FNG post warranty.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th February 2016 at 20:41.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 20:08   #8243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
They haven't. Also, the final bill did not include this component at all. I was of a notion that, it would listed but the price may get discounted. Attached the bill here for reference. This is my 3rd service.
The leak had started again and I can see diesel under the car. Pics below.

Any pointers
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-top.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-under.jpg  

Old 20th February 2016, 22:29   #8244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are someone who can afford to spend north of 10lacs on a car, I don't see how another 5-6k for extended warranty cover or AMC can hurt.

Components can fail on a car. Some are cheap to replace, some are expensive. VW's aren't cheap to fix and this is a well known fact. Scheduled service for a Vento costs around Rs. 10,000 on average. I am pretty sure that most owners who put their money on a VW are well aware that the maintenance costs are higher than the competition. This applies more for someone who consulted this forum before putting their money on a VW.

VW's position in India has nothing to do with spare the part costs, it has more to do with their service standards. There is little you can do about this. The solution? Identify a FNG post warranty.
Well the service being costly is a matter of perspective. To give my example, my annual running is about 6-7000 KMs so its once annually for me and cost is around 10k. Earlier I had the Hyundai i10 and that was being serviced bi-annually (as per Hyundai policy, Annual running of the i10 was still same around 7000 KM only) Each paid service cost me around 4500 so the two services cost me around 9000 annually!

I think regular service cost is hardly that big a factor, the difference/saving could just be few thousands in between different cars. But its the parts replacement and accidental repairs that could be costly with VW, owning to some of them parts having to be imported. VW has tried to rationalized costs to some extent, for example the alloy at one time used to cost some 22k but its now down to saner levels (3800 or something like that?) I only only had one small repair (fixing a nasty dent on one rear panel and scratches on rear door that I had gotten from a hit by a Truck) and the repair bill for that (denting, painting one panel + one door) was around 18k. Of course the insurance paid for that so it didnt hurt. I think 18k for that kind of work was reasonable. What do you say?
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 22:54   #8245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well the service being costly is a matter of perspective.....
I agree to your point that regular service is not that big of an issue. In fact regular service charges of 4-5K more per year is also fine as far as i am concerned. My approximate service charges in last 5 services are as following
1st: 9K
2nd: 10K
3rd: 21K (Break Pads + Lock carrier change)
4th: 12K
Front windshield replacement: 9K-10K
Injector change: Covered under warranty (more than 1Lac)
5th: 16K (Break Pads change extra)

So as far as i am concerned i am extremely happy customer since i believe these extra cost worth it. More than 5 year and not a single rattle etc in the car. Looks and feel like new.

However now extended warranty is gone and my only concern is charges for unscheduled repairs like water pump failure, clutch overhaul, engine issue (hehe)
Old 20th February 2016, 23:24   #8246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However now extended warranty is gone and my only concern is charges for unscheduled repairs like water pump failure, clutch overhaul, engine issue (hehe)
If it is a part that has to be imported then you can bet it is going to be very expensive. VW does a lot of part sharing between the different marques in its stable so it is quite possible some of the parts might be shared with the more expensive cars. If its a part that can be locally procured then logically it should not cost obscenely. Another thing is labor cost at VW is also much more expensive compared to others.

My car completes 4 years in a few months time (done only 23k KMs so far) so the out-of-warranty time starts for me as well. I am hoping to keep it for another 4-5 years. Fingers crossed!
Old 21st February 2016, 09:10   #8247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
The leak had started again and I can see diesel under the car. Pics below.

Any pointers
I am taking the car to the A.S.S. today. Please update me on the diesel leak - whether its normal as the SA says or if it is not, what could be root cause? Recently Valve door was replaced under warranty for diesel leakage. However at that time, I did not see any diesel under the car. It was primarily on top of the engine. However now I see that it drips down to the bottom and I suspect the part marked in red in the below pic which is very much wet with diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-topred.jpg  

Old 21st February 2016, 10:52   #8248
BHPian

My Vento headlight switch broke while doing some jugaad work. How much does the replacement part costs in VW service centre?

Can we get this part in aliexpress ?
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:03   #8249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the service being costly is a matter of perspective.
Yes.

Quote:
What do you say?
Could have been slightly cheaper. I don't suppose the door was replaced or was it?

A colleague had to replace the entire left front fender/mudguard and bumper on his Vento. The cost of these parts, including painting was 20k. The work was done by Bosch though. The little saving would have been labour. It is pretty evident that part costs are not astronomically high. Localisation has helped.
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:16   #8250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes.

Could have been slightly cheaper. I don't suppose the door was replaced or was it?
No replacement of the door. Just painting work (and maybe slight denting work too). Major denting/painting work on another panel (where the fuel inlet is).

They took 2 weeks to do the work though! I think it was too high for this kind of work. I had an Alto once and while reversing I bumped into a pole and got nasty dent on the hatch door and a hole too in that. Maruti returned me the car next day, as good as new! That was in Noida and I dont know if they are equally prompt with the work everywhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks