Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 23:49   #8791
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
can anyone please help me with the rating for the OEM battery for the the TDI.
60ah

Go for Amaron battery. Found them to be better. Going for higher rated capacity than 60ah wont cause any issue. See to that battery is minimum 60ah.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:39   #8792
BHPian

Quote:
My 1.6 TDI vento showed a slight problem in starting today morning and just now when i tried starting it just won't turn over and even the instrument cluster display goes blank. So it seems the battery is gone. Till yesterday there was no sign of any problem

I have called VW On Road service and they will come shortly but if i have to replace the battery outside, can anyone please help me with the rating for the OEM battery for the the TDI. will 60AH be a problem? quick feedback will help me
The battery capacity should not be too high, as compared to the stock battery's capacity. It makes the alternator work more than it is designed to, if the capacity is too high.

With that said, 66 Ah would be fine too in place of 60/61 Ah, but it is not usually needed to increase the battery capacity.
halfbytecode is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:40   #8793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
The battery capacity should not be too high, as compared to the stock battery's capacity. It makes the alternator work more than it is designed to, if the capacity is too high.

With that said, 66 Ah would be fine too in place of 60/61 Ah, but it is not usually needed to increase the battery capacity.
My confusion was if the standard battery is indeed 60Ah itself as i have read in some other threads confusing comments about it, some saying it is 36 or 45Ah. I tried checking on the battery but couldn't find anything written (maybe it is mentioned below or on the side which is covered).

I have anyway ordered a 60Ah Amaron
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:10   #8794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My confusion was if the standard battery is indeed 60Ah itself as i have read in some other threads confusing comments about it, some saying it is 36 or 45Ah. I tried checking on the battery but couldn't find anything written (maybe it is mentioned below or on the side which is covered).

I have anyway ordered a 60Ah Amaron
30-35 AH is normal for petrol engines. Diesels require more power for cranking the engine in cold weather, hence most of the smaller diesels have 60+AH batteries.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:04   #8795
BHPian

OK. I got my battery replaced with Amaron FLO (FL-566112060 (DIN60)). Paid 5600 net. Ordered from carbatteryexpert.com and everything looks fine. Batterybhai was 5850

Old battery was SEBANG and 60AH. Attaching a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20170622_130042509.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2017, 21:01   #8796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I have got this done today. Will update you if there is any remarkable difference in performance and fuel economy.
I got the software fix and a "filter" installed as per the recall. I can clearly see that there is change in the power delivery. There used to be a real "boom" surge which has really toned down. And I am seeing unusually high mileage numbers on single trip (Over 20kmpl and up to 24 in some trips). I preferred the way it was before.
LandCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 12:26   #8797
BHPian

My 2013 Vento 1.6 TDI seem to have some problem with the air conditioner. The middle 2 vents are blowing a weaker stream than the side vents even after setting the vents fully open. Can someone please educate me on the cause of this issue?
Old 9th July 2017, 21:15   #8798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
My 2013 Vento 1.6 TDI seem to have some problem with the air conditioner. The middle 2 vents are blowing a weaker stream than the side vents even after setting the vents fully open. Can someone please educate me on the cause of this issue?
If air is coming from side than its not the blower problem.

There is a small motor behind dashboard called "flap motor" which is responsible for opening and closing vent based on selection. Its a common problem in Vento/Polo where flap motor goes kaput. So your middle vent are not opening properly leading to poor air supply.

You can go to service station and they can fix it up in 1 day or so for this i believe whole dashboard needs to be opened so labour charges are pretty high. A friend of mine got it done and motor cost was like 1000/- but labour was 3500/- or something.

On other hand there is a manual override as well. You can ask the mechanic and he can reach out to this motor setting by hand through below steering but as soon as you change the settings from console and vent closes they will not open up again. This is temporary fix for days till you get time to leave the car to service station.

By the way if you have extended warranty and its still valid you should reach out to service station and get this fixed without any cost.
karansm4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 22:26   #8799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
You can go to service station and they can fix it up in 1 day or so for this i believe whole dashboard needs to be opened so labour charges are pretty high. A friend of mine got it done and motor cost was like 1000/- but labour was 3500/- or something.

By the way if you have extended warranty and its still valid you should reach out to service station and get this fixed without any cost.
Thank you mate! My extended warranty got over this May My car will be due for service in about 3000 kms. I'm guessing there's no harm in waiting? As there is still some air coming out of it and it's monsoon here, I don't really miss out much
Old 10th July 2017, 11:54   #8800
BHPian

Hi everyone. I have 2011 vento. I Had called the service centre guys to take the vehicle for the software upgrade as i had got a message for the same. when he started the car he said some noise was there so he checked and a loss of coolant was detected. He filled up with water and took it to the servie centre.

Now they say EGR coller has failed. Which is 75,000 rs. Some bearing or bush need replacements 18,000 rs. cover of the engine bay bottom 13,000 rs. There was some damage to body due to minor accident. Including all they have given estimate of 1,52,000 Rs.

Last serivce was done and an a estimte of 62,000 Rs was given on parts which still work fine.

Last service they said my wheel brearing is gone which will cost 11000. i told them do not fix. and the car is fine and not a problem with the bearing. (11,000 rs would have been wasted)no issue with bearing now).

Now about EGR Cooler. Any idea how much it would cost to fix it out side. my car is out of warranty.

they did change my car injectors all 4 of them for 15k. when i complained i will not pay 30k they were asking after discount, which were costing 1,00,000.

I get my car serviced at kompally, Hyderabad.
Old 10th July 2017, 16:12   #8801
BHPian

I got my VW Vento TDI Highline 2013 serviced last month at 42k Kms and I was told by the SA that there is some issue with the steering rack. Since I did not have any problem while driving & SA confirmed that the car can be used without any issues, I did not bother much about it. But eventually, after using the car for next 2k kms, there was an evident noise from the steering whenever driven over bumpy roads. I also realized that the steering rack issues are covered under warranty, so I am planning to get this fixed before my warranty expires this October.

Recently I did a Bangalore- Goa-Bangalore run, during which the steering started to vibrate while braking even at speeds of 60-70kmph. I have had this issue in the past (but at speeds of 80-100kmph) when the car had run around 22k kms and I had replaced the brake rotor & pads which fixed the problem. I am facing this issue again now but I am not sure if the new rotor can get warped just within 25k kms. Wheel alignment/balancing is done recently & the brake pad is new. Is there any possibility that this steering vibration is because of the steering rack issue & not because of a warped rotor? Just want to prepare myself for the expense that is coming up
Old 10th July 2017, 16:46   #8802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
I got the software fix and a "filter" installed as per the recall. I can clearly see that there is change in the power delivery. There used to be a real "boom" surge which has really toned down. And I am seeing unusually high mileage numbers on single trip (Over 20kmpl and up to 24 in some trips). I preferred the way it was before.
My 2011 Model underwent the software update couple of weeks ago and I am experiencing the same. The cars in gear acceleration has dropped slightly and there is an evident slight knock during in gear acceleration. Also the trip meter mileage is showing high numbers. (Have to verify using the tank full method). Planing to take it to service center this week
Old 10th July 2017, 17:36   #8803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post

Now they say EGR coller has failed. Which is 75,000 rs. Some bearing or bush need replacements 18,000 rs. cover of the engine bay bottom 13,000 rs. There was some damage to body due to minor accident. Including all they have given estimate of 1,52,000 Rs.
This sounds very ridiculous. If there are so many issues suddenly without symptoms it is suspicious. You need to talk to the service manager and get to the bottom of this. Or probably call up VW customer care and give them earful.
Old 10th July 2017, 18:02   #8804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
Hi everyone. I have 2011 vento. I Had called the service centre guys to take the vehicle for the software upgrade as i had got a message for the same. when he started the car he said some noise was there so he checked and a loss of coolant was detected. He filled up with water and took it to the servie centre.

Last serivce was done and an a estimte of 62,000 Rs was given on parts which still work fine.

Last service they said my wheel brearing is gone which will cost 11000. i told them do not fix. and the car is fine and not a problem with the bearing. (11,000 rs would have been wasted)no issue with bearing now).

Now about EGR Cooler. Any idea how much it would cost to fix it out side. my car is out of warranty.

they did change my car injectors all 4 of them for 15k. when i complained i will not pay 30k they were asking after discount, which were costing 1,00,000.

I get my car serviced at kompally, Hyderabad.
You need to get very specific details. If the way you have written the details in bold is the way the ASC guys gave the details to you, just take the car out from there as it is, and find a different fellow. Given that you have already spent a lot of money already on this car for a lot of issues, if these are all genuine, it falls into a bit of a lemon category in my opinion.

Did your check Engine light glow before the car went for service? EGR / EGR Cooler failures do get logged as engine faults in some engines and that code would mean there is something wrong with it. Which can be a simple leak somewhere that can be fixed without a replacement.
If the CE light didn't turn on previously, and now it does - it is highly probable that the ASC guys themselves messed up something and damaged the EGR cooler - and are now making you pick the bill for it.

Assuming yours is a 1.6 TDI, A refurbished VWAG EGR cooler for this engine trades at around 150-170 on eBay. So if possible try & find a refurbished one with some dealer / supplier. The price quoted for a new one is simply too high & not worth it. A refurbished one will very much do the job just fine.

Did you notice engine temperatures going higher than the normal median position on the gauge? Or the Vento doesn't have an engine temp gauge? Sorry for my lack of knowledge about Vento here...

Take her to a different service center. Do NOT mention anything that these guys are telling you.

Before asking to take away the car, ask the following questions -
1. What are the symptoms that say the EGR has "failed"? What exactly is this "Failure"?
--Generally the EGR cooler failures happen at gasket etc, resulting in leak - which does NOT always show anything in driving in day-to-day activities. It has effects on engine temperature and amount of harmful gases that the car will leak to the air unprocessed (NO).

2. Why does it need a "replacement" directly? Its not a 10 Rs. part that can be replaced this casually.

3. What are these bearings that have failed? How come you don't feel any effect of them? Need specifics.

4. Why replace the engine bottom cover? Is it broken? Was it broken already to your knowledge? 13k feels a bit steep. Is it bundled with a lock-case & imported from Germany/EU as a bundled package? Still I think it would be around 10k for a Polo/Vento. Not 13.

Also remember
A total of 1.5L expenditure on this service. Multiple previous part replacements also. This car won't fetch you a lot of gold if you put it up for sale now to be frank. In that case, be very calculative about how much more money you put into it...

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th July 2017 at 18:16.
Old 11th July 2017, 01:05   #8805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
You need to get very specific details. If the way you have written the details in bold is the way the ASC guys gave the details to you, just take the car out from there as it is, and find a different fellow. Given that you have already spent a lot of money already on this car for a lot of issues, if these are all genuine, it falls into a bit of a lemon category in my opinion.

Did your check Engine light glow before the car went for service? EGR / EGR Cooler failures do get logged as engine faults in some engines and that code would mean there is something wrong with it. Which can be a simple leak somewhere that can be fixed without a replacement.
If the CE light didn't turn on previously, and now it does - it is highly probable that the ASC guys themselves messed up something and damaged the EGR cooler - and are now making you pick the bill for it.

Assuming yours is a 1.6 TDI, A refurbished VWAG EGR cooler for this engine trades at around 150-170 on eBay. So if possible try & find a refurbished one with some dealer / supplier. The price quoted for a new one is simply too high & not worth it. A refurbished one will very much do the job just fine.

Did you notice engine temperatures going higher than the normal median position on the gauge? Or the Vento doesn't have an engine temp gauge? Sorry for my lack of knowledge about Vento here...

Take her to a different service center. Do NOT mention anything that these guys are telling you.

Before asking to take away the car, ask the following questions -
1. What are the symptoms that say the EGR has "failed"? What exactly is this "Failure"?
--Generally the EGR cooler failures happen at gasket etc, resulting in leak - which does NOT always show anything in driving in day-to-day activities. It has effects on engine temperature and amount of harmful gases that the car will leak to the air unprocessed (NO).

2. Why does it need a "replacement" directly? Its not a 10 Rs. part that can be replaced this casually.

3. What are these bearings that have failed? How come you don't feel any effect of them? Need specifics.

4. Why replace the engine bottom cover? Is it broken? Was it broken already to your knowledge? 13k feels a bit steep. Is it bundled with a lock-case & imported from Germany/EU as a bundled package? Still I think it would be around 10k for a Polo/Vento. Not 13.

Also remember
A total of 1.5L expenditure on this service. Multiple previous part replacements also. This car won't fetch you a lot of gold if you put it up for sale now to be frank. In that case, be very calculative about how much more money you put into it...

Hi Reinhard, let me first thank you for giving such detail reply.

I am attaching list of all the parts which are requested to be changed. ( i am not changing even one in service centre for sure. )

No lights of warning. Service centre Pick up driver say he heard a noise so he checked and found v low coolant, so i checked and we poured some water and sent it. So service guys checked and said EGR needs replacement.

After complaining that they should do free of cost and saying lot people have got it free of cost. They said it was done to few cars only. We told part should have been recalled and replaced. They said they will check.

Now after checking they found only copper pipe broken which they will mend. !!!!

The other main issue is tappet cover leak. Need to get that checked.

Other issue like bottom engine cover in isurance hopefully. Some suspension parts, steering rack, when needed will get it done outside.

Engine mount if needed will get it done.

2200 for ac vent. Which breaks just with ac blower. ( i swear it just wants to break). Will get that on good will.

Engine cover was broken and i know about it.

Best part, last service a few months back i was asked to replace bearing for a wheel. which is 11k in total including labour. (500 rs for alto) i said no. ( I was hellbent not pay 11k for it, tried best to get a senior VW service person on phone but was not able to even after 2 weeks of trying ) Now if it needed replacement i could not drive it. But there was no noise and i decided not get it done, 2500 km and no issue.

It seems it was a wrong diagnose !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20170710wa0050.jpg  

Most Viewed