Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 19:47   #9391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Guys,

I booked a toffee brown Vento TSI highline plus yesterday. I started looking for a crossover in the 20-25 lakh budget and ultimately ended up with a Vento which was not even in consideration.
More about my journey and decision making process here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post4674091 (Crossover/SUV for 25 Lakhs: Seltos/Tucson/Compass?)

I know VW gets a lot of flak in this forum for not releasing the new Vento/Polo but you have to give it to VW for keeping their cars mostly up-to-date with features. Plus, if you look at the City, it has the exact same 1.5 VTEC petrol engine running for 10 years. If you see what VW has done with the Vento, they started with the mediocre 1.6 MPI engine but later, they brought in the awesome 1.2 TSI engine along with the 7-speed DSG which is clearly the best in segment - I think they deserve some appreciation for the same. I know the design might look dated but I like the classy, elegant and understated looks of the Vento compared to something flashy like the City or Verna. Thew new LED headlights and DRLs on Highline plus are lifted from a higher segment of cars like the Tiguan and look fabulous. The 16 inch grey alloys are also stunning to look at and among the best OEM alloys IMO. It has most of the features as per the segment - Car play/Android auto, auto-dimming IVRM (does Honda City get it?), rain sensing wipers, cruise control, auto-leveling/adaptive lights (1st in segment?) etc. It misses out on 6 airbags (highline plus has 4) which is something I am not happy with. I don't care much about sunroof, keyless entry/push button start or the automatic headlamps. Also, VW should have provided some USB ports for rear passengers along with cup holders. Anyways, every car purchase is a compromise and I am very happy with my decision. I found this to be the best performing automatic south of 20 Lakhs, which basically sealed the decision. Also, I got a decent discount along with 5 year extended warranty. I hope this is a long and exciting journey with the Vento as has been with my Jazz (and still going strong).

I also considered the Vento/Rapid TDI but went for the TSI as it was more fun to drive, much more refined and more responsive in low rpms.

I will probably get the delivery in a weeks' time. Are there any accessories I should take from the dealer? Please suggest so that I can push for a few during delivery. I don't want to take their so called 'teflon' coating which is a sham. I will go to 3M to get the car detailed and apply some sealant/protection in a a few weeks time. Also, I wanted to know should I install a clear sunfilm like the CR70 since Vento has a pretty large glass area? The Vento brochure says that the windscreen and all window glasses are heat insulated, not sure how effective they are.

Last edited by adimicra : 14th October 2019 at 19:54.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 21:42   #9392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Guys, I booked a toffee brown Vento TSI highline plus yesterday.

The Vento brochure says that the windscreen and all window glasses are heat insulated, not sure how effective they are.
Congrats! The Vento is a timeless car. You will certainly enjoy it and every ride will be an occasion. It still is an occasion for us after 5 years and 92k KM's during which the car has aged beautifuly.

So hard to believe you landed up with a Vento after cross shopping through multiple segments, including the mouthwatering Octavia! (I was seeing your posts on multiple threads! Besides, any reason why you vetoed the Octavia?)

Regarding the CR70 sunfilm, we've installed the same on the front windshield twice and both times the glass cracked within 1-2 years. These sunfilms, while effectively blocking out heat from entering the cabin, ends up absorbing and heating the glass. It is very much noticeable and the windshield becomes hot to the touch while the other windows aren't so hot. I believe this heat makes any small nicks from a stone to spread into a crack very quickly. I could be wrong.

Or, we're just plain unlucky. All 3 times we installed the CR70, the glass ended up cracking within 1-2 years -2 times on the Vento and once on our i20, which we had before. This is our experience in the past 7 years with the last windshield being changed day before yesterday

I suggest you test the factory fitted heat insulated glass before taking a call.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 22:11   #9393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also considered the Vento/Rapid TDI but went for the TSI as it was more fun to drive, much more refined and more responsive in low rpms.

I will probably get the delivery in a weeks' time. Are there any accessories I should take from the dealer? Please suggest so that I can push for a few during delivery. I don't want to take their so called 'teflon' coating which is a sham. I will go to 3M to get the car detailed and apply some sealant/protection in a a few weeks time. Also, I wanted to know should I install a clear sunfilm like the CR70 since Vento has a pretty large glass area? The Vento brochure says that the windscreen and all window glasses are heat insulated, not sure how effective they are.
Congratulations. Don't see a Vento TSI purchase on the forum very frequently. As you have already experienced, lot of fancy products out there today. But you cannot go wrong with the Vento TSI. Ultimately all the fancy stuff and gizmos fade away and the only thing that you really notice daily is the drivabilility- and in that aspect the TSI+DSG combo has very few competitors. Wish you all the best.

The AC is not a chiller, takes time to cool considering the large glass area.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 23:52   #9394
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the wishes.
I was really impressed by the Octavia and would have probably bought it if not for the high-handed nature of the Skoda dealers. Also, the unavailability of the Style variant
(we did not like the color options of Onyx variant) meant I had to stretch for the L&K which was going over budget. Anyways, I am happy with the Vento TSI as the priceerformance ratio is pretty good.

I have been using CR70 on my Jazz for 7-8 years and it has been very effective with no issues at all. I will wait for a few months before applying them on the Vento.

The Vento GT Line is nothing but a pack consisting of - Black roof, black OVRM, black spoiler, black side stickers and some GT badges. Since we have selected the brown color, I don't think it will go well with the Vento. It will go well with Red or White color IMO. I have asked the dealership to not apply any stickers till I see the car in person. What do you guys suggest?

I am thinking I will ask them for some free accessories instead of the GT pack. May be some sunshades or door scuff plates etc. I did not see any nice accessories in the VW website. One example of the shoddiness of VW India - just click on the brochure in the link below of Vento official site and you will get a '404' No found error. They don't even have a brochure of the Vento in their website

https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/models/new-vento.html

Last edited by adimicra : 14th October 2019 at 23:59.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 16:47   #9395
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for the wishes.
=========
I am thinking I will ask them for some free accessories instead of the GT pack. May be some sunshades or door scuff plates etc. I did not see any nice accessories in the VW website. One example of the shoddiness of VW India - just click on the brochure in the link below of Vento official site and you will get a '404' No found error. They don't even have a brochure of the Vento in their website ...
Congratulations on the booking and decision. I've the same brown Vento HL Plus 2017 model. Accessories? you get ton of them free if you bargain well. I got Fabric mats, Car cover, Car Care Kit by 3M, free service pack (not paid single paisa for 1st year service, not even for oil) and not to mention mud flaps + idol + Premium Embossed number plates. I would have had something more (10+ ltr petrol coupon) if timed it well. But, all these possible based on your negotiation skills.

Wish you all the best and safe drive.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th October 2019 at 16:57. Reason: trimmed quoted post
driveup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 17:13   #9396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking I will ask them for some free accessories instead of the GT pack. May be some sunshades or door scuff plates etc. I did not see any nice accessories in the VW website. One example of the shoddiness of VW India - just click on the brochure in the link below of Vento official site and you will get a '404' No found error. They don't even have a brochure of the Vento in their website

https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/models/new-vento.html
I had purchased magnetic sun shades from VW itself around 3 years back. Was not commonly available and was expensive too (Rs 3500 if I remember right), but good thing is that the quality is very good and have faced no issues so far. Couple of pics below. If they have that, would be a good thing to get.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191015_081358.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191015_081433.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 19:58   #9397
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I booked a toffee brown Vento TSI highline plus yesterday. I started looking for a crossover in the 20-25 lakh budget and ultimately ended up with a Vento which was not even in consideration.
Time flies bud. I was following up your journey when you eventually selected Jazz though your initial pick was the car which finds name in your handle, Micra. All those long arguments with you defending Micra like anything and Jazz was a surprise winner then.

Great choice of the car this time as well. Vento TSI is a well rounded car, aesthetic looks with good build. I wish you wonderful times with the new eclairs candy that you have got. God bless!!!
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 20:54   #9398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveup View Post
Congratulations on the booking and decision. I've the same brown Vento HL Plus 2017 model. Accessories? you get ton of them free if you bargain well. I got Fabric mats, Car cover, Car Care Kit by 3M, free service pack (not paid single paisa for 1st year service, not even for oil) and not to mention mud flaps + idol + Premium Embossed number plates. I would have had something more (10+ ltr petrol coupon) if timed it well. But, all these possible based on your negotiation skills.

Wish you all the best and safe drive.
Thanks, buddy. Can you post some pics of your number plates? I will definitely ask for them. My negotiation skills are decent I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had purchased magnetic sun shades from VW itself around 3 years back. Was not commonly available and was expensive too (Rs 3500 if I remember right), but good thing is that the quality is very good and have faced no issues so far. Couple of pics below. If they have that, would be a good thing to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Time flies bud. I was following up your journey when you eventually selected Jazz though your initial pick was the car which finds name in your handle, Micra. All those long arguments with you defending Micra like anything and Jazz was a surprise winner then.

Great choice of the car this time as well. Vento TSI is a well rounded car, aesthetic looks with good build. I wish you wonderful times with the new eclairs candy that you have got. God bless!!!
Oh man, I am really surprised that quite a few Bhpians remember by journey of the Jazz purchase. You brought back quite a few memories and lot of nostalgia. This also goes to show that so many of us have stuck around in this forum for so many years, it feels like a family
Last time, I had a budget of 5-6 lakhs but I stretched to almost 7.8 lakhs or so (30% over budget) as I really loved the car. After that, Honda reduced the price of Jazz by 1.75 lakhs shortly after my purchase and my heart broke. I really feel so silly for that now.
Now, when I think back, though the previous Jazz was highly priced, the build quality and material quality was way better than the current one and the space offered was similar to C-segment sedan. And it has aged so well. I am sure if I had gone for the Micra, I would have upgraded 5 years back. So, probably I ended up saving some money in the long term. However, this time, I actually went below budget but I am very happy with my choice anyways. If the Skoda dealership was more customer-friendly, I would have probably stretched my budget and gone for it.

Last edited by adimicra : 15th October 2019 at 20:56.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 16:33   #9399
BHPian

Here is an update regarding the DSG replacement.

I finally received my car yesterday after a wait of almost three weeks. I decided I wanted to be patient with the service centre because the replacement of the DSG was foremost on my mind and luckily my wife was okay with my using her Venue in the interim.

My SA informed me VW made them jump though several hoops before finally approving the replacement. They made them do several software updates and do several coding inputs.

Some of the above fixes fixed the issue however temporarily. In fact I even received a call from the service centre two days after having dropped off the car that the software update fixed the issue. I requested their driver to drop off the car at my place. I received a call from the driver three hours later that the car had redeveloped the issue and they took the car back to the service centre.

Apparently the cost of replacement was close to Rs. 1,75,000. I seriously dodged a bullet by just eighty kilometres.

In either case the car is back and drives as good as new.

Many thanks to Sundaram Motors for their great but slightly slow customer service and VW for finally honouring the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I drive a 2016 Vento TSI and have so far had a wonder experience with it.

However last week, I had a mishap. The wrench symbol and the D3 symbols on the console suddenly started flashing and the DSG refused to change gears! I managed to pull over safely. I tried turning the car on and off, tried changing it to P, R, N and back to D and S but to no avail. It felt like one of the clutches had given way, because D2/S2 and R would not engage. Car would start in D1 and shift to D3 directly with a jerk because the RPM neared the red line and shift back to D1 with a horrible lurch when the RPM went too low and there was a danger of stalling.

Luckily I managed to drive to VW Sundaram Motors Whites Road, and the car, to its credit, didn't stall or create any other issues.

The garage verified the issue by taking a small test drive and told me there was a chance they could fix it with a master reset or else it would cost about 1.75 lakhs to replace the mechatronix! Subsequently I heard from the SA that the master reset didn't work.

Thanks to Team-BHP and GTO's suggestions, I had purchased the extended warranty. My car has run 99,920 KMS , which is just barely still in the extended warranty. Another 80 kms and I would have been left high and dry! Sundaram Motors has now started the warranty claim procedure.

The car is a stonker no other car in this price range even comes close, but with the DSG, you live by the fire and die by the fire.

Prospective buyers, proceed with caution.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 17:58   #9400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Magnetic VW branded sun shades? Never seen them. Are you sure they are VW brand? even on VW India website I do not see them. I have non magnetic, but with tabs to install, branded VW.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th October 2019 at 18:04. Reason: Edited
Old 16th October 2019, 19:23   #9401
Senior - BHPian

I have asked for the sunshades from VW (I think those are non-magnetic) as free accessories instead of body cover etc (my car is parked inside mostly)
I am skipping the black roof and black stickers etc of the GT pack.

A couple of questions -
Does Vento have seat belt height adjusters? What about seat belt pretensioners? I feel these are important safety features, which are not mentioned there in the brochure.

How does the auto-leveling headlamp feature work? Does it automatically switch on the high beam, if needed?

Is there glove box illumination/cooling?

Last edited by adimicra : 16th October 2019 at 19:25.
Old 16th October 2019, 20:21   #9402
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I booked a toffee brown Vento TSI highline plus yesterday.
Congratulations on your booking of the Vento. @adimicra.
Your other thread about deciding between the Seltos vs Tucson vs Compass vs Tiguan has been an enlightening experience for me as I will be in the same boat that you are in; albeit next year.

Enjoy the delivery process and would love to read your ownership thread soon.
Congratulations once again.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 20:53   #9403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveup View Post
Magnetic VW branded sun shades? Never seen them. Are you sure they are VW brand? even on VW India website I do not see them. I have non magnetic, but with tabs to install, branded VW.
Well, I purchased it from VW Service Center, came in a proper VW Vento branded bag and got a bill etc. So I assume it was a genuine accessory. This was atleast 3 years back. Maybe they do not have it anymore. Unless of course the service center was selling an outside product showing it as an original accessory. Unlikely, but never know with VW.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 22:46   #9404
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of questions -
Does Vento have seat belt height adjusters? What about seat belt pretensioners? I feel these are important safety features, which are not mentioned there in the brochure.

How does the auto-leveling headlamp feature work? Does it automatically switch on the high beam, if needed?

Is there glove box illumination/cooling?
Vento has seatbelt height adjustment. Pretensioners I am not sure.

Auto leveling of headlamp again I am not sure. Btw, leveling is for adjusting beam level, not for turning on or off high beam.

Glovebox cooling is available.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 00:02   #9405
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your replies.
I think the car will be available by Saturday , it is currently in transit.
I will do a PDI on Saturday if possible and take delivery on Sunday if the loan amount is available.

As I am thinking about accessories, I will probably take the sunshades and some scuff plates from dealership along with mudflaps and mats. I am also planning to install the Sensairy TPMS (internal). Does anyone know what tyres are coming with the Highline plus? The size is 195/55R16. I am wondering should I change the tyres immediately. The alloys are lovely, so not planning any changes.

Most Viewed