Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 00:52   #9406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
)
Does anyone know what tyres are coming with the Highline plus? The size is 195/55R16. I am wondering should I change the tyres immediately. The alloys are lovely, so not planning any changes.
MRF ZVTV
Apollo Alnac 4G
Goodyear Assurance ( Triplemax I think)

Tyre upgrade depends on your requirements.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 16:30   #9407
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.

I think the car will be available by Saturday , it is currently in transit.
I will do a PDI on Saturday if possible and take delivery on Sunday if the loan amount is available.
Since its rainy season - I would suggest that ask your SA to wash the car once before you do the PDI. For me I missed 2 small items - one tiny scratch on the chrome exhaust tip and the other one was mis-aligned rear bumper.

One of the primary reasons was the amount of dust and grime on the car that was kept in a remote 'not so well kept' yard and the rainy season.

after registration is done its difficult for them to do much - the SA gave some goodies to cover up. They were ready to make changes to the exhaust tip but then that would involve cut and weld which wouldn't give the company finish so I lived with the tiny scratch on the exhaust tip - not much visible but I know its there.

The misaligned bumper was seen later in all the cars in showroom and yard when I saw it in mine. so I am talking of the spot which is seen when you open the rear boot and carefully observe below/side on the weather strip (point where bumper gets attached the body). They say that while in the yard they can still give you any other car which you may like and is of same colour and variant. It becomes difficult once its sent for registration.

Good luck for your new car ! It should be fun as you noticed too in your previous posts. I am loving the car (TSI) which just clocked 6k in last 2-3 months.

Also, tyres that I got along with my car was apollo alnac 4g. Tyres are average. Major difference I see over my previous set (Michelin P3ST) is that these are extremely noisy - only thing you hear while driving this car on highway or bad stretches.

Last edited by Rahul_ : 18th October 2019 at 16:33. Reason: adding tyre info
Old 18th October 2019, 18:42   #9408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
MRF ZVTV
Apollo Alnac 4G
Goodyear Assurance ( Triplemax I think)

Tyre upgrade depends on your requirements.
I got Apollo Alnac 4G with my car. One of my friend got GoodYear Assurance, compared to GY, Apollo tyres are silent, but not as silent as Michelin or any premium brands.
Old 18th October 2019, 19:20   #9409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know what tyres are coming with the Highline plus? The size is 195/55R16. I am wondering should I change the tyres immediately. The alloys are lovely, so not planning any changes.
If it is MRF and Goodyear, best to change it on day1. Appollo is still ok and livable i guess. I got the Goodyear on the Polo TSI i got last month and changed them to Michelin on Day 1. I went for a slight upsize to 205 section tyres too.
Old 20th October 2019, 22:51   #9410
Senior - BHPian

Today, I took the delivery of my toffee brown Vento Highline plus TSI DSG
Overall delivery experience was fine - there were no fancy flowers or balloons but the SA and showroom guys were all poilte and courteous and did their best to answer all my questions.

Right after the delivery, I took a slightly long drive of the car with family (~100kms). My and my family are very happy with the purchase though we initially were looking at the next segment of cars. I will try to summarize my initial impressions below so far, both pros and cons

What I liked -

ICE - This was the biggest surprise to be frank. I did not test the ICE in my test drives. I knew it comes with Android Auto and I was happy with that. But, this stock ICE has pleasantly surprised me. Though the ICE is 6.5" in size, there are physical buttons for various shortcuts and volume control. So, that means that the entire screen is usable. The screen is bright, matt finished with very less reflections which leads to excellent sunlight visibility. Secondly, the touch screen is super responsive. The sound quality from the OE speakers is very good and loud with good amount of bass and vocals are also super clear. This is frankly a bonus as I never thought much of the stock ICE.

Styling/features - I know Vento is an old model but it is elegant and understated and I still like it. This new 100th facelift has changed the bumpers to Polo GTI style which looks nice and sporty with the new honeycomb grille and bumper. The biggest 2 design factors are the LED headlights and the alloy wheels. The dual LED headlights along with DRLs are very similar to those in the higher segment of VW cars like the Tiguan. They look stunning, you need to see it in person to see how good those look, and make the car look from a segment above. The headlights also have the auto-leveling function which adjust the beam based on load and speed of the car. I find this feature extremely useful and something which is not present in any car of this class or even higher segment cars(Octavia and Tiguan has this feature). Though Vento does not have automatic headlights, this more than makes up for it. Also, I am a big fan of the gunmetal/grey 16" Portago alloys and feel these are one of the best OE alloys in this segment or price range. Plus there are subtle additions like side skirts all through which merges with the skirts underneath the front and rear bumpers, a small lip spoiler on the boot-lid which looks nice. There are chrome side protectors on the doors which are elegantly done (I am not a bog fan of chrome). There are nice touches like illuminated and cooled glovebox, footwell illumination, excellent flat bottom leather-wrapped steering wheel. Apart from that, It has most of features in this segment like Auto-IVRM, rain sensing wipers though it misses out on the push button start (I don't mind).

NVH - I drove the car up to 120-130 kmph on the highway. SInce the DSG transmission has 7 gears, it is possible to keep the rpm low and still drive at these speeds without stressing the engine much. Even though I got the stock Goodyear Assurance Triplemax tyres, the NVH is very very good even when the audio system is switched off. My family was extremely surprised when I told them the speeds at which we were travelling.
I think VW has not cut too many corners here - there are very good quality door beadings, insulation in the bonnet, fully clad wheel wells, along with a refined engine which helps to keep the noise low. In sport mode, you can hear the engine but it sounds sweet to me.

Engine/gearbox - Much has been said about it in this forum. I will keep it short. It is very refined and extremely responsive even in D-mode. I tried sport mode for a brief amount of time which changes the behavior quite a lot. More on this later as I spend more time with the car. Also, it seems the car will return very good FE. In heavy city traffic, the MID showed 10.5 kmpl while in highway at 100-120 kmph, it showed 15.6 kmpl. Hoping that the DQ200 does not cause me problems.

What could have been better -

Ride and handling - Don't get me wrong, it is not bad but I had slightly higher expectations. The suspension setup is soft even with 195/55R16 tyres in the highline plus. So, low speed ride is very good over small bumps and potholes but big ones unsettle the car. Also, there is good amount of body roll when cornering at higher speeds. The steering is great to look and hold but it does not provide any feedback which makes it even more difficult. I am hoping I will understand the car better as I drive it more which will help me to push it harder. I think a slightly stiffer suspension would have made the setup much better. I might sound crazy but my Honda Jazz has a much better steering feel which helps me to push the car harder (it too has good amount of body roll being a tall car though). High speed stability in a straight line is very very good.

Cost cutting/ergonomics - The car is built very well (doors are heavy and close with a solid thud) and the interiors fit-finish is excellent as well. But there are some cost cutting which VW has done and I am not happy about it. For example, the handrest on the doors do not have ANY cloth or leather at all. So, you are basically resting your hand on plastic, which is unacceptable at this price. When I test drove the Vento, I remember those being there. . Also, the way the USB port is spaced on the center console, it means there will be messy wires near the gear lever and there is no place to keep the phone properly without interfering with the gear lever or handbrake. If you are not using Andoird Auto and only relying on bluetooth, then there is no such issue. The cabin lights and switches look and feel economy grade. The sunvisors are super cheap and hard, the driver side does not even get a mirror (My 9 year old Jazz feels a couple of segment higher in comparison).

Seating comfort - The driver seat has good thigh and lateral support but the lower back support is not so great. I have to see how it does on long drives, else I have to look for pillow or some sort of external lumbar support. The rear seat has good amount of legroom and gets a decent amount of light thanks to the big glass area. But, the seat is a tad low and the recline is a bit upright. It is a comfortable place to be but not sure how the rear passengers will feel in a long drive. The 5th passenger is difficult to accommodate due to the huge transmission hump.

------

Accessories planned - I got the OE rubber mats from the dealership (no boot mat) which seem to be good quality. I am waiting for the mudflaps - it seems the mudflaps of the facelifted model is still not available. Also, I am getting the OE sunshades for the rear windows and rear windscreen (non-magnetic). I am not paying extra for these, negotiated as part of the deal.

I always wanted TPMS in my next car as I believe it to be a very important safety feature. However, most cars do not come with this feature. So, I am planning to install Sensairy TPMS shortly which can be used with Android Auto. I wanted to change the stock Goodyear tyres but the exchange price offered was not good. Also, I read some reviews on this forum (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...max-tyres.html (Review: Goodyear Assurance Triplemax Tyres)) which mentioned that the tyres are not all that bad. So, I decided to stick to OE tyres for now. I will probably change them sooner (25K-30K Kms) depending on how they perform. Also, I would like to change the interior cabin lights to LEDs if possible. I will go for a clear sunfilm like 3M CR70 depending on the AC performance. Also, I might get a wax/sealant treatment done from 3M or some reputed car detailing shop. No other mods planned as of now.

-----
Overall, I am super happy with the purchase and looking forward to enjoying a long and exciting journey with the Vento. Let me know if there are any questions.

Some pics below -

The new GTI-inspired honeycomb grill and bumper along with the LED headlights and DRLs. Notice the skirts below the bumper at the edges.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191020_161312.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191020_161331.jpg

From the rear, there is a small spoiler on the bootlid and a new honeycomb pattern at the bottom of the rear bumper along with the sporty muffler

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191020_161409.jpg

Rear three-quarter, there is new black side skirt at the bottom all through, looks sporty IMO. Hopefully, they won't impact the ground clearance. Also, chrome door protectors. I personally don't like chrome but these are very slim and subtle, so does not look cheap and in your face.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191020_161426.jpg

Grey 16" Portago alloy wheels look excellent, probably the best OE alloys in this segment/price range. Hopefully, the Goodyear assurance triplemax tyres will perform well
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20191020_161433.jpg

dashboard, notice the blank switch for headlight leveler as it is automatic in the highline plus. Should have been properly finished, looks cheap (like a missing feature).

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-dahsboard.jpeg

Rear seat, notice the 12V socket. I did not notice this earlier in my test drive, was it added recently? Pleasantly surprised.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-rear-seat.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-rear-12v-socket.jpg

Glovebox and footwell illumination. Again, I was not aware of these features and not sure whether these were there earlier or recently added.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-footwell_illunination.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-glovebox_illunination.jpg

ICE with climate control, and android auto. It is really nice, bright and snappy with good sound quality. Notice the USB cable which looks ugly and messy.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-iceclimatecontrol.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-andoid-auto.jpg

Neatly laid out engine bay with easy access to coolant, washer fluid, battery and engine oil check

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-enginebay.jpg

Last edited by adimicra : 20th October 2019 at 23:13.
adimicra is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 11:25   #9411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, I took the delivery of my toffee brown Vento Highline plus TSI DSG
Congrats adimicra on your "Choco" acquisition

I had presumed that VW had stopped this shade for sometime now. I think only VW and Ford seem to get this color correctly.

Quote:
Cost cutting/ergonomics - For example, the handrest on the doors do not have ANY cloth or leather at all. So, you are basically resting your hand on plastic, which is unacceptable at this price.
This is something that my wife pointed out in my GT on our way back from the delivery, and I was totally surprised that VW had removed this. My 1.6 GT did not have any extra cushioning here, but definitely did not have such hard plastics.
Although I have not driven my car as extensively as I would have liked, trust me on this that your elbow starts hurting after an extended resting on these hard door pads.

So here is a jugaad that I ordered (ordered 2, one for each door) from Aliexpress, which seems to be working for now:

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-armrest.jpg

Here is the link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298...7c9b4c4d2w2bc6

Last edited by Vik0728 : 21st October 2019 at 11:28.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:54   #9412
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot, @vik0728.

I am thinking of a few mods to my car.
I saw many of the forum members have installed automatic headlights on the Polo, I am guessing same will work for Vento as well. But, there are many options in aliexpress and it's extremely confusing to figure out which one is the best. I want something which is close to the OE switch in quality and looks and I don't mind paying a few extra bucks. Has any Vento owner done that?

Here are a few links I found -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...chweb201603_52

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297...chweb201603_52

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...chweb201603_52
Old 25th October 2019, 08:13   #9413
BHPian

I had a question around Highline plus variant which comes with the LED Lamps. It comes with a auto-levelling function. While in the city I find the lamps to be very sufficient on the highway speeds around 70-80+ (in fact even at 60-80 on dark highways doesn't inspire confidence ) I am left with no resort but to engage high beam - which I am not a big fan of. So as and when I see people coming from the other side I disengage the high beam but in the long run it would take a toll on the bulb. I was wondering can we get it calibrated at service centres (my 7500 service is coming up soon).

I read somewhere that cars with auto-levelling headlights take one parameter as the speed of car and adjust the beam accordingly - I have never noticed my car do that well.

Also, on the side note - how expensive are the VW LED bulbs (only) to replace if incase the bulb conks off. It is easily source-able or can alternative brands like Philips and Osram be used instead?

Last edited by Rahul_ : 25th October 2019 at 08:15.
Old 25th October 2019, 08:18   #9414
Senior - BHPian

Quick update -
I am getting more used to the steering of the car which means I feel more confident pushing the car a bit more. However, I am disappointed with the ride quality of the Vento. It does pretty well over small potholes and bumps but falters badly over big potholes and bumps. If you go over larger potholes or bumps at a slightly higher speeds, the front suspension makes a loud 'thud' sound which makes it feel like a super cheap car. One of the main reasons I wanted an European car is the much better ride quality. However, this is behaving exactly like Japanese cars in terms of ride quality. Looks like my desire of a sorted, matured ride quality will be an elusive dream for now. I should have taken more detailed test drive over broken roads. What do others feel? I am guessing this is not just an issue with my car.

Last edited by adimicra : 25th October 2019 at 08:46.
Old 25th October 2019, 09:41   #9415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update -
I should have taken more detailed test drive over broken roads. What do others feel? I am guessing this is not just an issue with my car.
I have never felt that the Polo or Vento were anything to write home about in terms of ride quality, though I own neither. Have driven both extensively though, including some limited time on the newest iterations. My City has a very similar ride quality and it was never the case that bad road absorption was significantly better in the Polo twins. Good thing that I have a habit of babying any car over bad roads, I simply cannot let it fly when I can see that there are potholes and bumps on the road surface ahead.

When I considered the Vento earlier this year, when I was out in the market shopping, good ride quality was not really a USP that made it standout, it was more the engine and gearbox combo that was the real good part about the car. I am not sure what tires were supplied with your car, but switching to slightly better rubber might cushion the ride quality. I switched to Michelins very early on, and I am reasonably happy with the ride quality that it provides. Bumps and potholes are still felt due to the inherently stiffer suspension on the City, but it is certainly better that how it was in stock form.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 25th October 2019 at 09:49.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:44   #9416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of the main reasons I wanted an European car is the much better ride quality. However, this is behaving exactly like Japanese cars in terms of ride quality. Looks like my desire of a sorted, matured ride quality will be an elusive dream for now. I should have taken more detailed test drive over broken roads. What do others feel? I am guessing this is not just an issue with my car.
Actually if you want ride quality on Indian roads, you are better off in an Indian, Japanese or Korean car. European cars are best for handling. Their ride quality is primarily linked with road quality as well. Since they are excellent handlers, the suspension is always stiffer & not cushier. Poor roads always mean bouncy rides with stiff suspensions.

In case of the Polo-Vento and numerous siblings/cousins - as part of localization (upmarket word for cost-cutting) - VAG started using Gabriel or similar shockers and suspension components instead of the original Czech imported units. Since then the ride quality has gone for a toss - especially the "feel". The suspensions don't do their work silently & there is a resounding THUD on pot-holes. Its standard now for all these cars & you aren't alone. So nothing to specifically worry about your car.

As soon as you get full hold of that handling & capabilities in cornering, you'll forget about the suspension noise. Addictive to throw these cars around corners. Point and shoot!

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th October 2019 at 09:45.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:03   #9417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I had a question around Highline plus variant which comes with the LED Lamps. It comes with a auto-levelling function. While in the city I find the lamps to be very sufficient on the highway speeds around 70-80+ (in fact even at 60-80 on dark highways doesn't inspire confidence ) I am left with no resort but to engage high beam - which I am not a big fan of. So as and when I see people coming from the other side I disengage the high beam but in the long run it would take a toll on the bulb. I was wondering can we get it calibrated at service centres (my 7500 service is coming up soon).

I read somewhere that cars with auto-levelling headlights take one parameter as the speed of car and adjust the beam accordingly - I have never noticed my car do that well.

Also, on the side note - how expensive are the VW LED bulbs (only) to replace if incase the bulb conks off. It is easily source-able or can alternative brands like Philips and Osram be used instead?
I also have noticed the same. The LED lights are very powerful but the throw is not long enough when going over 70-80 kmph in the night. I also had to switch on the high beams. When I test drove the Octavia which also came with auto-leveling technology, I could see the beam throw changing with speed and providing very good visibility. Let me know if you are able to find out a solution. Otherwise, will have to use high beam in certain situations though I dont want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have never felt that the Polo or Vento were anything to write home about in terms of ride quality, though I own neither. Have driven both extensively though, including some limited time on the newest iterations. My City has a very similar ride quality and it was never the case that bad road absorption was significantly better in the Polo twins. Good thing that I have a habit of babying any car over bad roads, I simply cannot let it fly when I can see that there are potholes and bumps on the road surface ahead.

When I considered the Vento earlier this year, when I was out in the market shopping, good ride quality was not really a USP that made it standout, it was more the engine and gearbox combo that was the real good part about the car.
I had driven my friend's Polo long back (probably 2013 or so) several times and the ride quality, NVH and high speed stability were at clearly a step of 2 higher than the City/Jazz. Somehow, that impression has remained in my mind. I read that VW India has been putting in substandard or lower quality parts in the name of localization (read: cost cutting) which might explain the deterioration in ride quality of the newer lot of cars. The high speed stability and NVH is still great and a step higher than the City.. If one check the wheel wells of both cars, Vento gets full wheel cladding on both front and rear along with a nice thick coat of paint whereas City rear wheel well is fully exposed No intention of starting a City vs Vento fight though as City has its own advantages in terms of space, rear seat comfort, reliability etc.

And yes, the engine + gearbox combo is the topmost reason for going for the car and there is absolutely no regrets on that. Though Vento is the oldest car in the segment, it offers the most advanced and best engine gearbox combo, whereas the 'newest' cars in the segment are still selling 15 year old engine-gearbox combos. Anyways, enough of ranting. Best to accept the shortcomings of the car and enjoy the car for all it's goodness. Cheers

Last edited by adimicra : 25th October 2019 at 10:10.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:37   #9418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I read that VW India has been putting in substandard or lower quality parts in the name of localization (read: cost cutting) which might explain the deterioration in ride quality of the newer lot of cars.

Anyways, enough of ranting. Best to accept the shortcomings of the car and enjoy the car for all it's goodness. Cheers
Yes, that is what I have heard regarding parts quality on newer VWs as well.

Accepting the shortcomings is the easiest way to fully enjoy the benefits of your new car. When I feel a bit irritated with the ride quality on bad roads, that irritation disappears completely and becomes a distant memory when on the next stretch of open road, the creamy iVTEC power married to the slick shifting manual tranny come into their own.

No debate at all between City and Vento - both are capable cars in their own rights and have their set of good and bad attributes,it all has to do with what trade- offs one is comfortable with. If I were not wary of the DSG gearbox, I might have picked up a Polo TSI myself, at least as my second car.
Old 25th October 2019, 10:52   #9419
BHPian

Quote:
I also have noticed the same. The LED lights are very powerful but the throw is not long enough when going over 70-80 kmph in the night. I also had to switch on the high beams. When I test drove the Octavia which also came with auto-leveling technology, I could see the beam throw changing with speed and providing very good visibility. Let me know if you are able to find out a solution. Otherwise, will have to use high beam in certain situations though I don't want to.
I would check with the service advisor. I was thinking maybe something could be done via Controller settings to enable this ? Because apart from switching on the lights I have never really seen beam moving, or maybe it its so minor that people can't notice - taking a long drive next week - I will try to notice. In octavia I guess the initial alignment also moves beam sideways if I remember correctly.

On the ride quality I feel that the car is extremely unsettling on bad roads. The other car I carpool in is Crysta 2.8 which comes equipped with torque balancing which makes the ride super smooth even on broken roads. Also, it doesn't help that most the the roads where I stay in bangalore just pot holes and patch works over old patch works - I feel the cars ride is worse on such roads.
I just image what the ride would be in cars which people say come with stiffer suspensions.

Quote:
Best to accept the shortcomings of the car and enjoy the car for all it's goodness. Cheers
Totally agree.
Every car comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. There are and always would be some reasons but these were not top of the our lists when we singled out on this one !
Old 25th October 2019, 13:19   #9420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I test drove the Octavia which also came with auto-leveling technology, I could see the beam throw changing with speed and providing very good visibility.
Thats quite interesting. I didn't know something like this is done. Isn't it a bit incorrect if so though? It means if we are going fast, its okay to blind oncoming traffic! Thats just not right road etiquette. Auto headlamp leveling should only be an equation of car's laden weight & rear sag.

Unless of course you drove so fast that aerodynamic drag pushed your car down enough for it to level the headlamps upwards .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks