Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 17:16   #9466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Any pointers here would be helpful
Google for Akshay at Car Shringar. Generally resourceful in my personal experience.

I got my Creta mats around a year back: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4430365 (3D KAGU & Other Premium Mats)

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th December 2019 at 17:18.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:43   #9467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityarobb View Post
Hence I've bought these in Aliexpress and were a perfect fit for my VW Vento 2019.

The link is below with some pics attached.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3266...48834c4diwPr3y

Go for the 2018 one.
Hey Aditya,
How did you install these? Was this a DIY job or did you need help?
Old 16th December 2019, 21:30   #9468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hey Aditya,
How did you install these? Was this a DIY job or did you need help?
Hello DeKay,

I installed these myself and it took about 5 minutes to carryout the replacement. It's a simple swap, just that you need to be little careful while removing the factory ones.

1) Use the knob to rotate the OVRMs up-to their maximum downward position. You will find a small gap above, between the mirror housing and the mirror to work with using a tool.

2) I used the broader side of the following trim removal tool, covered it with two layers of cotton cloth just to be on the safer side and worked my way gently from the top most part of the mirror to the outermost side.

3) Place the new mirrors in the housing, them facing a bit downwards and start pressing from the middle until you hear the clicks. Again be careful not to drop the mirrors while placing them as they break easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20191216-20.49.00.jpeg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20191216-21.14.26.jpeg  

adityarobb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 20:44   #9469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Looks like the GTI headlights did the trick. Seeing a large number of brand new Ventos on the road now. The LEDs DRLs look beautiful, also with some new colours, VW has transformed the car. I guess with great offers now, its truly VFM, especially the Diesel DSG, and hence the frequent sightings.
Buddy, the GTI headlights are available in the highline plus model from 2017 onwards. In the latest facelift, VW has put the grill, bumper and the all-round body skirts from the Polo GTI to the Polo/Vento. I agree that those look really nice and sporty but it is a case of too little too late. If you look at the Nov sales numbers, there is hardly any uptick though I would have liked it to sell more. I bought the car mainly for the performance from the TSI+DSG combination as it is simply unparalleled in this segment and no regrets for that.

Meanwhile, I have ordered the new following automatic headlight switch from aliexpress, hoping to be lucky this time (don't want to sit with 2 auto headlight switches in my cupboard )

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297...54ee4c4dHUbn7a
Old 18th December 2019, 20:42   #9470
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

When I was looking at Vento Brochure today, I just looked at this information regarding heat Insulating Glass. Just wanted to check with our senior vento owners here, have you guys observed anything different in Vento when compared with other cars, is it reducing the heat drastically getting into the cabin?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-heat-insulating-glass-vento.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I bought the Vento TSI Highline Plus recently (couple of months back). I have been loving the way this car drives. Perfect combination of ease and sportiness clubbed together......
These are my two cents: I believe, the best way to safeguard the life span of DSG is to use the Neutral mode when you expect your car needs to stop either at a Signal or in the bumper to bumper traffic if you are stopping your car for more than 5 seconds. That's one of the better ways to reduce the burden on the clutch. I think even if we try to take the control with manual gear shifting, at the back end, clutch has to get engaged continuously whatever be the gear we select.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th December 2019 at 14:13. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 18th December 2019, 21:22   #9471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
Hello BHPians,

When I was looking at Vento Brochure today, I just looked at this information regarding heat Insulating Glass. Just wanted to check with our senior vento owners here, have you guys observed anything different in Vento when compared with other cars, is it reducing the heat drastically getting into the cabin?
Yes, it helps for sure. There is a perceptible difference compared to normal glass but it is not as good as high quality sunfilms. I am not planning to install sunfilms in the near future, will wait for next summer and then decide

Quote:
These are my two cents: I believe, the best way to safeguard the life span of DSG is to use the Neutral mode when you expect your car needs to stop either at a Signal or in the bumper to bumper traffic if you are stopping your car for more than 5 seconds. That's one of the better ways to reduce the burden on the clutch. I think even if we try to take the control with manual gear shifting, at the back end, clutch has to get engaged continuously whatever be the gear we select.
Both points are correct. Also, I am yet to get any warning or so due to DSG gearbox heating whereas I see the Kia Seltos thread full of such issues. Please take extended warranty for VW if you want to keep the car for a long time.

I am also keen to understand what creature comforts are there in the I20 which are not there in Vento Highline plus. According to me, it is fairly well loaded and boasts of some features which are not there in the competition. The only significant ommissions are - push button start (I don't care) and automatic headlight (trying to get it addressed from aliexpress)
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 21:45   #9472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am also keen to understand what creature comforts are there in the I20 which are not there in Vento Highline plus. According to me, it is fairly well loaded and boasts of some features which are not there in the competition. The only significant ommissions are - push button start (I don't care) and automatic headlight (trying to get it addressed from aliexpress)
Not a creature comfort but a safety feature - curtain airbags.
Old 18th December 2019, 22:21   #9473
BHPian

Quote:
I was at Hyderabad last month for work, I felt the traffic was tad better organised than the one I end up driving on my daily basis. While the first half is through ridiculously narrow and slow moving [vijyabank layout + Viraat nagar /Bommanahalli for people familiar with bangalore] is a stress on the gearbox (but less stress on my left leg) and the second half is move-stop-for-a-second-and-move-again traffic and end up repeating it for 40 mins [Aghara to Kadubisnahalli]
Yes, I understand and I do move it to neutral for smaller time gaps but however much I dislike my car keeps on slipping clutch on the Bellandur section. I have come into terms with the fact that I might have to end up with an early gearbox repair and for the very same reason I am maxing out available add-on warranty.And like some knowledgeable bhpians gave this valuable suggestion which I am following is - that till the time I end up with the clutch repair I am trying to enjoy every single kilometer I put up on the car. Every single time I accelerate this car brings me happiness and this is the one of the two big reasons I bought this car for; the other being getting convenience of an automatic.

Quote:
Adi, the thing which I really miss the most is automatic headlamps (I am following your updates on it) and the really pathetic and old looking instrument cluster or the multi function display. The missing push button display is in a way a boon. The cabin lights in the front cockpit area looks like a straight pick from a Maruti 800 and not from a car costing 17big ones OTR bangalore. The buttons on the steering wheel and the functions were very well integrated with the stereo and MFD if you compare it to the Vento , Vento has undergone multiple iterations of updates and it clearly shows up in a way where integrations like these are not so seamless. Also, the rear camera guidelines were adaptive in i20 and I feel is it a good feature to have.
I know we would love all good fancy stuff on our machines however couple of very very basic stuff is missing on the car which are there on international variants which would have made the car "complete". Some from my end.
- hazard lamps on the doors
- puddle lamps.
- three point seatbelt + isofix seats at back (so basic that's it would be shameful to call it even a feature)
- auto folding orvms - every time I use the switch I feel I might have broken it. I actually loved this on i20 where the ORVMS used to open as soon as I came right next to the car.
- mirrors on both driver and passenger sun visor with a light on passenger side.
- soft touch material (leather /cloth ) on the door pads . Heck it was there earlier and they "forgot" to put it into place and saved what Rs500 ?

Adi : one more question to you - I see you are planning couple of mods like the automatic headlamps + front cabin lights etc. I was very very interested to do these on my car as well but I really really do not want to mess up with warranty - do you clearly understand the implication on the warranty of the car if you do these mods ? I have never really got a clear answer to that from anyone - so are you clear or are you taking the risk with the warranty ?

Last edited by Rahul_ : 18th December 2019 at 22:28.
Old 19th December 2019, 10:25   #9474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Not a creature comfort but a safety feature - curtain airbags.
Agreed but VW Polo version sold in India does not come with 6 airbags but they do have combined side and curtain bags whereas the Indian model had only side airbags
The consolation is that VW Polo with 2 airbags scored 4* in NCAP tests for both front and rear passengers whereas the version with 4 airbags (side+curain) scored 5* in Latin and Euro NCAP tests. The build quality feels really solid and best-in-class . Also, it comes with ESP which is not offered by many cars in this segment.I don't think a Vento with 4 airbags is any less safer than competitors with 6 airbags

Quote:

Adi, the thing which I really miss the most is automatic headlamps (I am following your updates on it) and the really pathetic and old looking instrument cluster or the multi function display. The missing push button display is in a way a boon. The cabin lights in the front cockpit area looks like a straight pick from a Maruti 800 and not from a car costing 17big ones OTR bangalore. The buttons on the steering wheel and the functions were very well integrated with the stereo and MFD if you compare it to the Vento , Vento has undergone multiple iterations of updates and it clearly shows up in a way where integrations like these are not so seamless. Also, the rear camera guidelines were adaptive in i20 and I feel is it a good feature to have.
I know we would love all good fancy stuff on our machines however couple of very very basic stuff is missing on the car which are there on international variants which would have made the car "complete". Some from my end.
- hazard lamps on the doors
- puddle lamps.
- three point seatbelt + isofix seats at back (so basic that's it would be shameful to call it even a feature)
- auto folding orvms - every time I use the switch I feel I might have broken it. I actually loved this on i20 where the ORVMS used to open as soon as I came right next to the car.
- mirrors on both driver and passenger sun visor with a light on passenger side.
- soft touch material (leather /cloth ) on the door pads . Heck it was there earlier and they "forgot" to put it into place and saved what Rs500 ?

Adi : one more question to you - I see you are planning couple of mods like the automatic headlamps + front cabin lights etc. I was very very interested to do these on my car as well but I really really do not want to mess up with warranty - do you clearly understand the implication on the warranty of the car if you do these mods ? I have never really got a clear answer to that from anyone - so are you clear or are you taking the risk with the warranty ?
Rahul, I understand your points and do agree with some but I feel you are looking at one side of the coin.

First of all, we all bought this car for the TSI+DSG performance and frankly, there is no competition (particularly for automatics) in this segment or up to 20 lakhs OTR. The next significant performance improvement is the 1.8 TSI which will cost 10L more.

Now, lets go through some of the pain points you have mentioned.

- "soft touch material (leather /cloth ) on the door pads". I think this is the most blatant cost cutting and absolutely unacceptable. This was present in the earlier Polo/Vento models but have been removed in the name of cost cutting. I am thinking to get it covered with art leather at a local shop which makes seat covers etc. There are some ready made ones in aliexpress but those are for left hand drive cars. I am not able to find the same for right hand drive cars.

- "The cabin lights in the front cockpit area looks like a straight pick from a Maruti 800 and not from a car costing 17big ones OTR" - I totally agree and this makes the car feel super cheap. In fact, the Vento had nice cabin lights when launched (3 bulbs along with a sunglass holder, I believe). I can't live with it to be frank. As I mentioned, I am going to try out the Passat cabin lights with the beautiful red ambient lighting. I believe this is going to significantly change the interior feel of the car. I don't see why it would void warranty as we are not going to cut any wires. You can always put back the original light if you want to claim warranty.

- "really pathetic and old looking instrument cluster or the multi function display" - Agreed but I don't feel so strongly about it. I like the simple speedo console but the MFD does feel a bit dated. However, it provides a lot of useful information and is easy to read out as well. I would prefer that to tacky color display. Anyways, there is nothing much we can do about it.

- "three point seatbelt + isofix seats at back". You mean 3point seatbelt for the middle passenger. Not sure if any other cars are offering it in the segment. Isofix, agreed. I did not care about it because it's not useful for me.

- "buttons on the steering wheel and the functions were very well integrated with the stereo and MFD if you compare it to the Vento , Vento has undergone multiple iterations of updates and it clearly shows up in a way where integrations like these are not so seamless" - Not sure what you mean by this. I am happy with the ICE

- " automatic headlamps" - agreed. I am planning to get it enabled. It's just a paug and play with no impact on warranty and can be swapped back to the original within a minute.

- "auto folding orvms" - Somehow, I don't think it's a big deal. It is more of a feel good feature. I talked to vagtune and they said it can be done. I am not sure if it requires just programming or other parts as well. Not at the top of my priority list.

- "the rear camera guidelines were adaptive in i20 and I feel is it a good feature to have." - Yes,agreed but I am not finding it difficult to deal with it. Surprisingly, this feature is present mostly in Hyunda/Kia cars. The Honda City or even the Skoda Octavia doesn't get this feature.

- hazard lamps on the doors. I don't think this is a big deal and something which other cars offer.

- puddle lamps
. Again, a feel good feature but I won't lose my sleep over it.

- "mirrors on both driver and passenger sun visor with a light on passenger side" - Agreed and I feel the sunvisors feel super cheap as well. I don't think we can have the light enabled easily but I might replace the sunvisors with mirrors on both sides and a cover for the mirrors.

Every manufacturer makes some prioritization and compromises when it comes to features and even though VW Vento might not be the best loaded car in the segment, there are some good features which I appreciate (apart from the engine+gearbox). Hopefully, this will make of all of us feel better.
  • The DRLs and full LED headlights for both high and low beam - looks absolutely stunning and very premium and not something which is offered by competitors (the City ZX might have it but they don't look as good as the Vento).
  • Fully backlit (red) switch gear including steering controls, power windows, OVRM control, boot release - makes the car interior feel premium in the night and very usable as well.
  • All 4 power windows with auto up-down functionality
  • Ability to open the windows from remote - super useful when the car is out in the sun for a while
  • AC vents are fully adjustable - they can move up/down and left/right along with independent air flow controls
  • Illumination for glovebox and footwell - not sure all other competitors are offering the same.
  • heat insulating glass - useful feature not sure if others are offering
  • telescopic steering - some competitors are not offering it
  • very usable armrest - The armrest is very usable for shorter folks like me. I have found most cars' armrests are not at all usable for me
  • very good ICE - the ICE might not have the biggest screen but it is very responsive, the screen is bright and anti-reflective which offers very good sunlight visibility and the sound quality is great as well. It's so much better than the Digipad on the City which doesn't even offer Android AUto/Carplay.
  • Superb 16" alloys - Again this might be subjective but the grey Portago alloys are best-in-class IMO.
  • Beautiful flat-bottom steering wheel - this feels really premium with the leather wrapping and thumb controls. In comparison,the Honda City's steering feels spartan.
Sorry for the long post. But the point what I want to make is that apart from the awesome engine+gearbox, Vento highline plus model is fairly well loaded with respect to the competition. It has some blatant cost cutting,misses some features but offers some as well - it might not stand out but does not feel like lagging a lot behind the competition.

Last edited by adimicra : 19th December 2019 at 10:42.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 11:08   #9475
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed but VW Polo version sold in India does not come with 6 airbags, but they do have combined side and curtain bags whereas the Indian model had only side airbags

Sorry for the long post. But the point what I want to make is that apart from the awesome engine+gearbox, Vento Highline plus model is fairly well loaded with respect to the competition. It has some blatant cost-cutting, misses some features but offers some as well - it might not stand out but does not feel like lagging a lot behind the competition.
Absolutely, I was and still sold on the engine+ gearbox combo for which I was so clear in my head about the car I was getting; there is no car in this segment that drives similarly. I love features as well and hence opted for the Highline plus to get as many they were offering. Just that when between 5 years when I bought my previous car vs this one I was expecting a little extra (average middle-class mentality ) I love to see all bells and whistles on my car without voiding the warranty (some of which were earlier present in this very car like you said)

Ok, also on some of the points which were not so clear :
- by steering controls, I meant that to switch between the radio and music or to move to car play mode I need to lift my hands off the steering and touch the center console. Also, look none of these are really a deal breaker but they could have been executed better (worthy mention of my previous car). I meant when you have multiple iterations of a product the seamless integration of component requires artists!

- by the center console, I meant stuff displaying like which door is open or the transmission temperature for DSG units or the display being switched on all day. And it's not like they need to put extra sensors to do so - all of them are in place, but VW India decided to go with one of the worst available head units out of the multiple offerings they have. If you go through the manual, you see how much more it can offer. I would love it if I could upgrade this via VW OEM without voiding my warranty, again it's not a deal-breaker, but it is the difference between good and wow.

Do you find the breaks to be not so good? I reckon the front disc could have been bigger. Does a brake upgrade of maybe the rotors and pads void warranty ? are you planning on any mods in this area?

By the way, I am very closely watching your updates on the mods, keep up the good work!

Last edited by navin : 19th December 2019 at 14:06. Reason: trimmed quoted post and corrected typos
Old 19th December 2019, 21:13   #9476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, I was and still sold on the engine+ gearbox combo for which I was so clear in my head about the car I was getting; there is no car in this segment that drives similarly. I love features as well and hence opted for the Highline plus to get as many they were offering. Just that when between 5 years when I bought my previous car vs this one I was expecting a little extra (average middle-class mentality ) I love to see all bells and whistles on my car without voiding the warranty (some of which were earlier present in this very car like you said)

Ok, also on some of the points which were not so clear :
- by steering controls, I meant that to switch between the radio and music or to move to car play mode I need to lift my hands off the steering and touch the center console. Also, look none of these are really a deal breaker but they could have been executed better (worthy mention of my previous car). I meant when you have multiple iterations of a product the seamless integration of component requires artists!

- by the center console, I meant stuff displaying like which door is open or the transmission temperature for DSG units or the display being switched on all day. And it's not like they need to put extra sensors to do so - all of them are in place, but VW India decided to go with one of the worst available head units out of the multiple offerings they have. If you go through the manual, you see how much more it can offer. I would love it if I could upgrade this via VW OEM without voiding my warranty, again it's not a deal-breaker, but it is the difference between good and wow.

Do you find the breaks to be not so good? I reckon the front disc could have been bigger. Does a brake upgrade of maybe the rotors and pads void warranty ? are you planning on any mods in this area?

By the way, I am very closely watching your updates on the mods, keep up the good work!

Agree about not able to change the 'mode' of ICE from steering controls. Surprisingly, it is there in my 9-year old Jazz.
I don't have any problems with ICE quality, I don't know what exactly is your issue. What is your benchmark here? May be you can try Honda City's Digipad to make you feel better.

Brakes are just adequate. If you drive aggressively, it is not good enough. I actually hold back pushing the car many times due to not-so-powerful brakes. Apart from a few cosmetic features (auto headlight, better cabin light, door armrest cover), VW could have just made it a total driver's car by - curtain airbags
- paddle shifters
- rear disc brakes

I will probably do a remap and brakes updgrade few years later when I get tired off the car

PS - If you want a low-risk upgrade to the cabin lights, just swap the original cabin light with the one below (plug and play) and change the lights to LEDs - should make a huge difference.
You can also see the original Vento cabin lights and sunglass holder in this post, looks so much premium.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post3396629 (VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights)

Last edited by adimicra : 19th December 2019 at 21:17.
Old 20th December 2019, 09:30   #9477
Senior - BHPian

Anyone who is owning an older version of the Vento, can we fit this cabin light in the current version? Any idea of what it would cost? I got this pic from one of the ownership reviews of a 2011 Vento, looks way more premium than the current one.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_3067.jpg

Last edited by adimicra : 20th December 2019 at 09:33.
Old 20th December 2019, 10:02   #9478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone who is owning an older version of the Vento, can we fit this cabin light in the current version? Any idea of what it would cost? I got this pic from one of the ownership reviews of a 2011 Vento, looks way more premium than the current one.
Thanks to VAG's excellent modular designs & compatibility range, it would be surprising if this isn't doable.

Have you looked at a DIY done on a Polo by fellow bhpian @TheLizardKing here -
Link - TBHP Thread - POLO dome light change DIY (VW Polo DIY: Upgrading the Front Dome Light)

Generally my first reference point for costs tends to be Boodmo.com. Select the correct car make, model year you want & search the OEM body part catalog.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th December 2019 at 10:03.
Old 20th December 2019, 10:12   #9479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 1947506
You can't. There used to be a movement sensor based theft detection system in the earlier Vento models which was done away with later on.

You'll have to change the headliner for this and install a different variant of the cabin light unit.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 15:52   #9480
BHPian

My Vento TSI 2016 was due for its 1,05,000 service.

I got my DSG replaced under warranty just 5,000 kms ago and no issues so far. It drives like it always used to. I also switch to neutral at every traffic light and also long traffic jams.

I took my car to Sundaram Motors White's road and they told me we need to replace the oil, air and fuel filters, replace engine oil, water wash, clean A/C filter, wheel balancing. They quoted Rs. 13,500 for this.

I also complained that my front brakes were making a sound but worked fine. They checked and said discs have to be replaced (first time in 1,05,000 kms). They quoted Rs. 8,500 for replacing both discs.

I have been very happy with my car so far. Even the DSG issues were solved without any cost to me. Nothing beats the combination of this engine and gearbox. The brand new Hyundai Venue (wife's car) which also has a turbo petrol and dual clutch combination barely compares to the vento which has already run more than one lakh kilometres.

There is no car in this price range for me to replace the Vento with. I'm going to keep this car until a suitable replacement comes along.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks