Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 00:12   #9526
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Anybody has an idea about when when the timing belt should be changed? 90k, 105k or 120k? I'm seeing varying reports on Team-BHP itself.

The 105k service is due.
Check their service bulletin in the post here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4440862 (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)

I did it at 120k km on my Polo. Some may have done it earlier too.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 22:38   #9527
BHPian

I have a 2012 1.6 TDI highline diesel Vento. Did the same at 105K. I remember there was some bulletin at the service center that service advisor showed me that all car models having the old 1.6 TDI unit had to get timing belt changed @ 90K and that mine was overdue. Not sure if it is applicable to 1.5 TDI too (invade you have that)
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:52   #9528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
I have a 2012 1.6 TDI highline diesel Vento. Did the same at 105K. I remember there was some bulletin at the service center that service advisor showed me that all car models having the old 1.6 TDI unit had to get timing belt changed @ 90K and that mine was overdue. Not sure if it is applicable to 1.5 TDI too (invade you have that)
Thank you Anup! You're right about the old 1.6l TDI!

Went to my trusted FNG today for the 105k km service and was shocked to find something leaking. Turns out the water pump washer ( if I remember correctly) failed and the coolant was draining. It was noticed right on time before the engine could begin to overheat (or so I believe).

The water pump was supposed to be changed along with the timing belt anyway so I believe the 90k service bulletin for timing belt replacement was correct after all.

According the the FNG, after the complete loss of coolant, the AC is supposed to cut off completely, which didn't occur in my case as there was still some coolant left. Looks like for pre 2014 cars, that's the only way we'll know whether the engine is overheating as there is no coolant temperature gauge. The check engine light also won't come on when the engine overheats.

All I can say is thank God! Was supposed to go on a trip next week. If the water pump failed during the long drive, the engine would've seized and the rest is history.

Last edited by Turbohead : 12th June 2020 at 14:56.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 15:23   #9529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe the 90k service bulletin for timing belt replacement was correct after all.
You're right. This is the new service schedule:

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-maintenance.jpg

The timing belt is scheduled for replacement at 90k km. Good call there Turbohead!
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 16:30   #9530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

According the the FNG, after the complete loss of coolant, the AC is supposed to cut off completely, which didn't occur in my case as there was still some coolant left. Looks like for pre 2014 cars, that's the only way we'll know whether the engine is overheating as there is no coolant temperature gauge. The check engine light also won't come on when the engine overheats.

All I can say is thank God! Was supposed to go on a trip next week. If the water pump failed during the long drive, the engine would've seized and the rest is history.
It does light up on the MID when it comes to a critical point. AC does cutoff much before that. I have had to suffer all that in my 2011 TDI.

Changed the pump, timing belt and the fan was changed few months ago. I still have the issue. One of the hoses was weak and was leaking when the temperature got really high, changed that too. Planning to change the thermostat now. Since there is not much driving, I have left it as it is.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 19:30   #9531
BHPian

This car is such a "Hoot" to drive, it always brings a smile to my face. My vehicle is 8+ years old (1.6 TDI) and has done 175K kms till now and is still going strong. Unfortunately, have to start looking for a new diesel vehicle in sometime as am currently posted in Delhi NCR and cannot drive car 2022 😐. I was trying to think about some cars / mini SUVs and hatchback, but nothing just seems to click in front of the "Mighty 1.6 TDI". I have driven it across varied terrains - hills, expressways, that's etc and apart from growing clearance, there has been absolutely no complaint. It will be extremely tough to replace and give am emotionally attached to it too.
Turbo_anup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 12:19   #9532
BHPian

Completed one year general service yesterday, nothing out of the regular was done but the car feels butter smooth back again. Smoothness post service reminded me of driving it out the showroom. Also, fitted dual horn and engine splash guard (engine shield) along with the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The DSG is exposed though. Most of the accidents which I have read in this forum are related to broken sump and not so about DSG/gearbox. So, unless it's a very heavy hit, I am not sure why we need the underbody protection. It is always good to have but in this case, since I have to fit it additionally, it is always good to be sure if it's worth the additional time, money and risks.
I also checked with the service manager and he confirmed again that it requires drilling holes in the chasis. So, I have decided not to get it done. Will check other VW A.S.S.
I can confirm that fixing this part in Vento TSI doesn't require any drilling into the chassis and the part fits on about 7-10 screws which have the pre existing slots to be put in. Apart from saving the car from minor hits stone hits from below it also helps in keeping engine bay cleaner by allowing lesser dust and water splashes than without it. It also helps to contain engine sound (not that its a problem in TSIs) and helps aerodynamics to certain extent is what I understand. About the quality of the material - its hard plastic and not metal.
Rahul_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:59   #9533

My Vento TSI is due for it's 4th Service. What is the recommendation for the Transmission fluid brand and brake fluid? I may have to do the service outside a regular VW service centre since I am struck at my home town and the VW service here has very poor rating. Please suggest anything that I may have to consider.
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:51   #9534
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone has the fuse diagram handy for the Vento? I could not find any specific details in the manual.
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:58   #9535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confortablynumb View Post
My Vento TSI is due for it's 4th Service. What is the recommendation for the Transmission fluid brand and brake fluid? I may have to do the service outside a regular VW service centre since I am struck at my home town and the VW service here has very poor rating. Please suggest anything that I may have to consider.
The transmission fluid is sealed for life according to VW. It can be changed but only by a skilled FNG. If you are going there for the first time, don't get it done.

The 1.2L TSI uses Castrol Edge fully synthetic 5W40 oil. Coolant to be used is only pink coolant. Here's what should be changed:

- Engine oil
- Oil filter
- Air filter
- Pollen filter
- Coolant

These are the basics. Check the condition of the serpentine belt as well since it is to be replaced at the 4 year mark IIRC. Wheel alignment and balancing can be done at any centre and at your discretion. Not compulsory if you arent facing any issues with the car pulling to the right, left or a misaligned steering. Wheel balancing can be delayed slightly if stores aren't available around you.
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:08   #9536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confortablynumb View Post
If possible get it done from the VW SC itself. It's always good to have the warranty intact for DSG equipped cars. Just be nice with the guys there and ensure all unnecessary stuff is avoided. You may be forced to give in to one or two add-ons, like AC disinfectant etc, as they would be desperate for funds.

If they say something has gone wrong, get a second opinion from outside/ ensure it was from your car in the first place, which means it's a good idea to stick around if possible.
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:45   #9537
BHPian

I was going through the official manual for headlamp bulb specifications for the LED headlamps(highline plus variant) and could not find anything - the manual just talks about the halogen bulbs and specifications. Did not find much on a few google searches as well.

Can the OEM LEDs be replaced by any of the easily available LED bulbs (like Philips, Osram) if one of the bulbs conk off ? I don't think waiting for service centers to procure it would not be viable as this variant has not been selling in huge numbers and I don't think most service centres would ever have ready stock for this. Usually headlights not working freaks me out and I have in past fixed that on that very day itself. Any leads ?
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 22:43   #9538
BHPian

So I have a new problem with my 2011 Vento (manual diesel). The key when inserted and turned, goes into the on position but doesn't turn any further. The problem was intermittent for the last one week and today I ran out of luck and the car wont start. Its pretty much stuck in my garage. VW says the key barrel will have to be changed. We are looking at an approximately 10k bill to fix the issue. I looked online and it seems to be a common issue in 2009-2013 VW cars. Has anybody else faced this issue in their VW cars?
Old 4th July 2020, 23:03   #9539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
So I have a new problem with my 2011 Vento (manual diesel). The key when inserted and turned, goes into the on position but doesn't turn any further. The problem was intermittent for the last one week and today I ran out of luck and the car wont start. Its pretty much stuck in my garage. VW says the key barrel will have to be changed. We are looking at an approximately 10k bill to fix the issue. I looked online and it seems to be a common issue in 2009-2013 VW cars. Has anybody else faced this issue in their VW cars?
I had this issue in my 2013 Vento. Had it changed at the service centre while I waited. It took about an hour as it was lunch time. Bill was about 5-6 k. Go ahead.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 01:28   #9540
BHPian

Do the Vento's after 2014 or so also suffer from such issues? Seems like 2010-2013 ones are the ones giving the most frequent, unexpected and weird issues !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks