Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2021, 22:22   #9646
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
Also, when I turn the steering towards the left, I hear a kat sound when the steering hits the end.
I spoke to the VW SA about the issue ( tight steering and kat noise) and he simply told me that I would have to change the entire steering column.
I have this clicking sound in my Rapid when the steering hits the end and in all probability that's the clock spring on its way out. Steering is otherwise perfectly normal.

Not sure if that could meddle with the play in steering wheel as well.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 14:24   #9647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
I feel that the steering play of my Vento 1.6TDI has become a little tight when compared to the usual butter-smooth movement. Also, when I turn the steering towards the left, I hear a kat sound when the steering hits the end.
I spoke to the VW SA about the issue ( tight steering and kat noise) and he simply told me that I would have to change the entire steering column.
I'm not very sure whether that would be the solution to this issue or it's related to something else. Please share your recommendations/suggestions.
How much has your Vento run till date?
Can you turn the wheel fully even while the car is stationary? If the steering feels tighter progressively with every turn, then you need to get it checked properly.
I was facing similar problems (slightly more severe) and eventually I got the steering rack assembly replaced. Costed me about 13-14k, I think.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 16:34   #9648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
How much has your Vento run till date?
Can you turn the wheel fully even while the car is stationary? If the steering feels tighter progressively with every turn, then you need to get it checked properly.
I was facing similar problems (slightly more severe) and eventually I got the steering rack assembly replaced. Costed me about 13-14k, I think.
It has clocked around 105000kms, Turning the steering wheel around is not an issue. Just that it used to be smooth earlier and I could sense a slight hold in the movement now.
Sure, I will take it to a different service center and check if they have to say something different.
Old 17th September 2021, 12:39   #9649

I own 2013 Vento; 1.6 petrol. Recently I identified an issue during idling. The RPM needle fluctuated and went up from the regular below 1000 RPM upto 2000 and jumped back to normal. This isn't happening always. When I tap the accelerator pedal the needle functions correctly. I could make out that the car is raising itself to a higher RPM during wait at signals. What could be the reason for this? Any guidance would assist me take the next steps.
Old 20th September 2021, 10:34   #9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
I have a Vento TSI and I am observing a peculiar sound when accelerating. The sound is similar to the sound of pigeon bird not exactly but close. It comes only on acceleration after braking and after that there is no sound. The weird thing is that it only happens after a long drive of let’s say 2 to 3 hours or when the car is driven in bumper to bumper to traffic for long time. At short trips like my daily office commutes of 45 mins there is no sound at all. I spoke to Service centre (KUN Chennai) but they said they have not heard of similar case. They wanted to bring the car to check but as I said it does not recur for short trips so very difficult to demonstrate to them.There is no warning light when it happens.

Have any Vento TSI owners experienced similar issues? If there is no reference I may have to take the car to service centre when it occurs.
Did you come to know the root cause and what fix was applied? I have the same problem (strange squealing sounds in low rpms after long traffic drives; nothing on short drives). Got the car checked 4 times in last 2 years and nothing is found by ASC. Car even broke down in Jan 2021 and Mechatronic was replaced but this sound still remains.
Old 20th September 2021, 15:24   #9651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somen87 View Post
Did you come to know the root cause and what fix was applied? I have the same problem (strange squealing sounds in low rpms after long traffic drives; nothing on short drives). Got the car checked 4 times in last 2 years and nothing is found by ASC. Car even broke down in Jan 2021 and Mechatronic was replaced but this sound still remains.
Hello somen87,

Service center told it is because of wearing of clutch plates and after replacing them there was no noise. It has been more than 3 years and around 20K kms and the sound has not re-surfaced. Check if clutch plates were replaced in your case. Hope this gets resolved soon!
Old 20th September 2021, 19:57   #9652

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
Hello somen87,

Service center told it is because of wearing of clutch plates and after replacing them there was no noise. It has been more than 3 years and around 20K kms and the sound has not re-surfaced. Check if clutch plates were replaced in your case. Hope this gets resolved soon!
Thanks senthils27,

I specifically requested VW Delhi West to replace clutch plates and was suspecting the same, but they keep on insisting there is no sound coming and no evidence to replace clutch.
I guess I need to push them or get it checked in my base location in Pune.
Old 5th October 2021, 14:06   #9653
BHPian

Finally replaced the stock H7 bulbs on my Vento TSI to Osram Nightbreaker Laser. It's a dual barrel unit.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20211005_110408.jpg

Was on the fence regarding LED bulbs on stock reflectors. Got mixed feedback and it was mostly negative. Hence decided to stick to Halogen and Osram Night breaker seemed like a good option.

Was looking for reviews on this but most of them were sponsored and appeared to be exaggerated.

Took the risk and replaced the low beam bulbs first. First I had replaced on one side and drove around for an hour to perceive the difference. Was pretty happy with what I paid, the intensity was more and I can see the difference in brightness on both bulbs. Also the cut off line appeared much sharp on this, probably due to more brightness.

Ordered another pair to replace the high beams and swapped them today.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20211005_112613.jpg

However I felt swapping high beam bulbs was difficult due to the narrow opening on high beam cap. It took me hardly 5 mins to swap bulbs on low beam due to relatively large opening and sufficient space to move your hand around.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20211005_120059.jpg

But on high beam side, the opening is narrow and the space is cramped and the shared harness with parking bulb is adding to the difficulty. I managed it somehow with difficulty.

Also one important thing I noticed is that my variant hasn't got any tab on the holder to hold & twist the connector, where as the EU variant seems to have this and would have made things easier.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20211005134027_youtube.jpg

How come the indicator cap has a tab to hold, but the low/high beam connectors don't?

Is there any specific technique to make things easier or a long nose plier would have helped?
sriharsha_m87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:40   #9654

I own 2013 Vento; 1.6 petrol. Recently I identified an issue during idling. The RPM needle fluctuated and went up from the regular below 1000 RPM upto 2000 and jumped back to normal. Could anyone assist on this query before I head to the ASS. I tried searching this forum and couldn't find a readup. I assume this acceselator sensor issue. But anyore insight Wpuld help. Thank you.
Old 12th October 2021, 13:57   #9655
BHPian

Have any of the vento owners here parked their car for an extended period of time? Like more than a couple of months? In bit of a fix here because of the pandemic. My car has been parked at my house for close to 20 months now, yes 20!
Long story short, I had to leave the country in Feb last year, thought I will be coming back in March but that never happened. I have had to park the car like this many times when I’m not in the country but never for more then 3-4 weeks at a time. I even forgot to put the flat stoppers on the tyres this time. The car is a 1.2TSI w/ DSG.
What’s it going to take to get her running? New tyres & battery for sure but what else could go wrong? What’s the worst case scenario? Any inputs will be appreciated… Cheers!
Old 12th October 2021, 14:33   #9656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranayy View Post
I own 2013 Vento; 1.6 petrol. Recently I identified an issue during idling. The RPM needle fluctuated and went up from the regular below 1000 RPM upto 2000 and jumped back to normal. Could anyone assist on this query before I head to the ASS. I tried searching this forum and couldn't find a readup. I assume this acceselator sensor issue. But anyore insight Wpuld help. Thank you.
I have experienced this when the AC is on. If it is off then the car idles at around 1000 rpm, but the moment it switches on the rpm goes up.

If it has never happened with you, then I suspect some sensor is misbehaving
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 15:09   #9657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
What’s it going to take to get her running? New tyres & battery for sure but what else could go wrong? What’s the worst case scenario? Any inputs will be appreciated… Cheers!
New engine oil, surely? I'd recommend getting a mechanic to take care of these things rather than trying to crank it yourself. Also check for any mould in the interiors that you might need to get cleaned. Getting the AC vents cleaned of bacteria/fungi will also probably be a good idea. Inspecting the wires for rodent bites, engine bay for rat poop etc.

Get it properly assessed at the local VW dealer, get it serviced and replace the things that might have gone wrong. Wishing you luck with this, given that it's a VW.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:34   #9658
BHPian

An issue with my 2013 Vento Tdi (1,30,000 on the odo). Loosing coolant. It happened first time around 2 months back after a 300 km trip and noticed on inspection when the AC was not cooling. The workshop refilled the same, did a quick check and found nothing unusual. The car was also due to for service (it put up 12k since last service) and hence got the full service done (September) and all topped up with oil change. Today, the coolant is almost empty again in a short span.

Any pointers what could be the issue? The water pump hasn't been changed till date. The timing kit was changed around 1L km. Otherwise, the car is running like it is new, with stock clutch etc., ! I will take the car to workshop in a couple of days for full check up.

Can I refill the coolant and drive for now (until it is checked soon) ?

Last edited by stringbh : 15th October 2021 at 12:37. Reason: more information
Old 15th October 2021, 13:27   #9659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post

Any pointers what could be the issue? The water pump hasn't been changed till date. The timing kit was changed around 1L km. Otherwise, the car is running like it is new, with stock clutch etc., ! I will take the car to workshop in a couple of days for full check up.

Yes you can fill the coolant and drive. Just keep checking the coolant level.

To find where the coolant is leaking from, fill up the coolant, then drive for a few kilometers till the engine heats up come home and park on a flat surface. After a few hours check the ground for signs of leakage. If there is coolant on the ground, inspect the engine bay and the radiator. Signs of coolant leakage should be visible.

If there is no coolant on the ground and/or if there is no visible sign in the engine bay, then the coolant is either leaking through the expansion tank or the radiator cap.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 13:46   #9660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
An issue with my 2013 Vento Tdi (1,30,000 on the odo). Loosing coolant. It happened first time around 2 months back after a 300 km trip and noticed on inspection when the AC was not cooling. The workshop refilled the same, did a quick check and found nothing unusual. The car was also due to for service (it put up 12k since last service) and hence got the full service done (September) and all topped up with oil change. Today, the coolant is almost empty again in a short span.

Not advisable to drive. If you haven't changed the water pump in all these kms, there's a very high probability it is the culprit here. If it is indeed leaking, the pump will end up spewing corrosive hot coolant on the rubber belt, rollers and ancillaries and you will end up having to change the entire kit again. Just get the car examined ASAP. If it's low on coolant, top up with distilled water and drive it to VW ASC or an FNG.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks