Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 21:50   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review

I had been to the Hyundai showroom to take delivery of a friend's i10. It was Hyundai's and Hyundai's everywhere within the premises. Some were decked up for delivery to potential owners.
My friend got his white i 10 Magna today.I have been tracking the dealings since the car was booked, selected and now finally delivered.The salesman has been quite courteous and well behaved since day one and has been trying to keep up with the requests by my friend (though these are not at all tall orders ).

-Like one was he wanted Bridgestone tyres and he got them.
-He wanted an Amaron battery but got an Exide.
-He wanted his car in white and got it
-He was not fussy about the delivery date and took his car today.
-He had asked for a pleasant number (not fancy or VIP etc) and got one.

The car was ICE'd with a Sony music system, as a part of the freebies on offer, that included a seat cover set and foot mats from the dealer. Insurance cost was borne by the dealer too!
I found the car quite a pleasure to drive (but nothing extra ordinary) and is a perfect city run-about car. Though with three passengers on board and the AC not on, the engine was not very, very responsive. Gears need to be changed and shifted to lower ones, if there was a deceleration. The view of the road ahead for the driver is OK and much better as compared to the A Star. In the A Star, the driver of medium height (like many Japanese are!!!) has to try and stand up (next to impossible) on his seat to get a better (no commanding view expected as in a Scorpio or any other SUV though ) view of the road.
The i 10's gear is quite friendly and shifts are never unpleasant. The engine sound is minimal and does not penetrate into the cabin unless the accelerator is pressed beyond a limit.
The instrumentation is quite contemporary.
But my overall feeling is that there is nothing extraordinary about this little car that may make me fall in love with it! Its just an ordinary hatchback and has no Maruti Swift like extra ordinariness !
The things about the i10 I have HATED and HATED are the single horn even if one buys this car worth Rs 4.55 L. The horn is totally inaudible and often my co-passengers were feeling that some other car elsewhere was blowing its horn. The horn is simply DEPLORABLE. Hyundai needs to do a lot of homework and offer some Rs 1 K or a little more, to give better and double horns for all variants of its cars as we drive on Indian roads, where even cattle move a wee bit faster upon audible honking !
The next bad thing that tells upon the Hyundai philosophy of being "penny wise" at the owner's or its customer's cost are the front seats sans the detachable and adjustable headrests. Are they following the Tata Nano or is the Nano following the i 10?
In this age of cut throat competition Hyundai needs to buckle up or may be some fine day it loses its customers.
The car's dash controls are all quite in keeping with the needs for a car in this segment.
I would also like to point out that the i 10 Sportz variant being sold for something around Rs 5.07 L has indicators integrated on the ORVM's as a premium feature and a dash integrated, OE Nippon music system. But this variant does not provide OE fog lamps.As a friend has also bought a Sportz variant, I was taken aback to see its front bumpers sporting the black plastic fog lamp caps with no fog lamp.Again simply DEPLORABLE !
Overall, this i 10 experience was quite OK with the dealer. There are three free services ( the schedules are as below to the best of my memory).
(1) after 2 months or 1200 kms whichever is earlier
(2) after an year or 10,000 kms whichever is earlier (oil and oil filter change recommended to be paid for but no labour charges payable)
(3) after two years or 20,000 kms whichever is earlier (oil and oil filter change recommended to be paid for but no labour charges payable)

A good point to note is that Hyundai offers chrome-like coated (is it plastic?) door levers on the interior for all 4 doors. There is also a chrome plated company logo on the steering centre. These are quite praiseworthy, as only premium cars would earlier sport these goodies.The chrome on the plastics of Mahindra Xylo's interiors (even the XUV 500 ) are deplorable, as is the quality of its other interior plastics (Scorpio included). Hyundai plastics are much better and chic.

Starting from the first pictures clicked at the godown earlier, about a week ago:

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130108-16.59.38.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130108-17.00.14.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130117-12.41.38.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130117-12.41.10.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130117-13.04.22.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130117-13.04.36.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130117-12.36.21.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130117-12.37.44.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-20130117-12.46.11.jpg

Pictures of the white i 10 Magna above, with some i 20 pictures (new and old).
I am sorry for the picture quality on my South Koren mobile, that somewhat befits the South Korean showroom- I did not carry my camera !

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2013 at 11:01. Reason: Removing double image
Old 8th February 2013, 13:35   #287
BHPian

I have been using i.10 asta from past two years . It's a practical city car . It's efficient for local run abouts . The good thing that I agree with is
1. Smooth and refined engine
2.nice pick up and responsive
3.easy gear shift
4.easy driving on the city roads
5. Nice and good looking interiors .

Things that are on downside .
1. Mileage is the first and foremost . I have tried everything on earth, but the max mileage is 13.5 kmpl .
2. It's never a highways car . Steering is scary at high speeds.
3. Braking not great though better at high speeds.
4. Ride quality is too bouncy on uneven roads .
5. Features deficiency . The upgraded top end model is quite ok , but mine is the previous gen asta so not much of features .
6. Seat comfort not really great but that's agreeable coz most of the hatch backs are the same.
7. The most important thing is the after sales service cost is always a bomb . I had a small body repair job which would have hardly costed nothing had I opted to do it outside but Hyundai ripped me so hard that it's seriously alarming to own a Hyundai car in future . I have had a maruti car for 13 years and have a Tata for about 3.5 years . These guy's are way better than Hyundai in most categories .

Last edited by rki2007 : 8th February 2013 at 13:41.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:28   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai to launch special edition i10

Guess it's Hyundai's turn to release a special edition, after the gimmick has been expolred by multiple manufacturers in India! There is absolutely NO mechanical changes and this edition is limited to just 2 variants. Looks like an effort to shake off some uncleared stocks!

Quote:
Hyundai will soon launch a special edition ‘iTech’ i10 to celebrate more than 12 lakh i10 owners worldwide. On the inside, the special edition i10 will come with red accents on the dashboard, doors and aircon vents, while the seat covers will be red and beige. As seen on the i20 and Verna, the car will also get a reversing camera integrated into the rear view mirror, along with a remote mounted on the steering wheel that controls audio and bluetooth functions.

The special edition will be available only on the 1.1-litre Era and 1.2-litre Magna variants

More details
: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/334...ition-i10.aspx

Edit:: Adding pics. Copyright - original uploader.

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-i10.jpg

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-i102.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st February 2013 at 13:32. Reason: Added "Edit" portion & images
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 13:42   #289
BHPian

Re: Hyundai to launch special edition i10

Interior accents on dashboard looks hideous. And the external graphics are worse than those on Maruti's special edition vehicles.

If this was meant to push up sales for the i10, IMHO it will not work.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:54   #290
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai to launch special edition i10

The latest joinee in the "stick-some-decals" brigade eh?

Apart from the integrated rear view cam,which is a good value addition, do not see anything "extra" which will make consumers make a beeline for the i-10.

Any idea whether the rear view cam is available as an accessory from HMIL for retro-fitment on existing models ?

Hyundai missed the boat here. They could have bunged in some art leather seats, alloys and an upgraded touch-screen music system and scored better points. Maybe even a "Shah-Rukh" signed insignia on the centre console.

Going slightly off topic I think the last truly great variant/special edition was the Sachin Tendulkar Palio's and more recently the Ford Fiesta (old) 1.6 S

Last edited by arjab : 21st February 2013 at 14:01. Reason: text added
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:22   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Things that are on downside .
1. Mileage is the first and foremost . I have tried everything on earth, but the max mileage is 13.5 kmpl .
The mileage you quoting, is it city driving? I too own an i10 1.2 and initial days gave me mileage around 10-11 kmpl in city without AC.
It was only after 2 services I started getting around 14-14.5 kmpl. This was also due to using BP/Shell petrol and filling nitrogen (Still I am not sure whether filling nitrogen improves mileage or not )
Old 23rd February 2013, 18:00   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper

The mileage you quoting, is it city driving? I too own an i10 1.2 and initial days gave me mileage around 10-11 kmpl in city without AC.
It was only after 2 services I started getting around 14-14.5 kmpl. This was also due to using BP/Shell petrol and filling nitrogen (Still I am not sure whether filling nitrogen improves mileage or not )
The mileage that you are getting is very minimal and marginally more that what I get . I think this is the average for an i .10 .
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:48   #293
BHPian

What I don't understand is when Hyundai is able to make some brilliant engines, they're never good when it comes to efficiency of their petrol car's. Their diesel car's give excellent mileage.

Perhaps the low FE and the embarrassment that it may cause to the brand, Hyundai does not give DTE and instantaneous fuel efficiency on any of it's cars at least in India
Old 5th March 2013, 15:33   #294
BHPian

Hyundai launches ‘Special Edition’ version of the i10 hatchback called ‘itech’.

Hyundai has added a few more goodies to its capable i10 with the launch of what it calls the ‘itech’ variant to celebrate 12 lakh worldwide sales for the hatchback . The interiors of the ‘itech’ edition feature red and beige dual tone fabric upholstery and Body Decals on the exterior. More usefully, it will come with rear view parking camera and steering wheel mounted Bluetooth controls. Hyundai is offering the ‘itech’ only on the 1.1 Era and 1.2 Magna versions of the i10, in only two colours, Crystal White and Garnet Red.

The steering mounted Bluetooth controls looks like an aftermarket fit and the steering wheel remains the same as on early variant of the i10.

The i10 remains a very good hatchback and the new additions in the parking camera and steering mounted Bluetooth controls are welcome.

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2013 at 16:53. Reason: Adding Paragraph spacing for better readability. Thanks for sharing!
Redline6800 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 14:53   #295
BHPian

Today, while getting my i10 AT's alignment and balancing done, i filled up the tyres with nitrogen. I was never convinced about the utility of the same, but thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

I was astonished at the improvement in ride quality. Very, very noticeable and definitely not a placebo since this car is not my daily drive and bouncy ride quality was my pet peeve! I filled up at 33 psi.

Perhaps a couple of owners can try the same and check!
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:22   #296
BHPian

Took delivery of new i10 Kappa2 Sportz yesterday in Crystal White, loving the car so far, will be (hopefully) posting the ownership review soon.
A question for other users, does the boot open light turn on when the doors are opened or is something wrong in our car?
Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-img_0074.jpg
Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review-img_0079.jpg

Last edited by nipcarlover : 3rd April 2013 at 13:31.
nipcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:08   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Took delivery of new i10 Kappa2 Sportz yesterday in Crystal White, loving the car so far, will be (hopefully) posting the ownership review soon.
A question for other users, does the boot open light turn on when the doors are opened or is something wrong in our car?
Congrats on your new acquisition. Drive safe!
The boot light should turn on whenever the hatch is opened.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:12   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition. Drive safe!
The boot light should turn on whenever the hatch is opened.
Thanks Blackasta!
Regarding the question, sorry I should have been more clear. I meant that, the boot open light switches on even when the door is open and not only when the boot is open. Hope that makes it more clear. Please give feedback whether this is normal or should I get it checked.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:28   #299
BHPian

The boot open light will switch on when any of the doors is open . It is normal behaviour . Also note that unlocking any door will unlock the boot too.

Last edited by motortechie : 3rd April 2013 at 14:29. Reason: added one more sentence
motortechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:34   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
The boot open light will switch on when any of the doors is open . It is normal behaviour . Also note that unlocking any door will unlock the boot too.
Thanks a lot motortechie for clearing this up! I am aware of the unlocking function of the car as I have the same function on my Getz.
Thanks anyway

Most Viewed