Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2011, 21:37   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good Review Aj. I agree, the outgoing Passat definitely had more character than this one. The front end styling is kinda un-imaginatory and reminds me of the cars used in bank ads (if you guys know what I mean). Rear is a lot better than the front but again missing the flair of the B6 Passat.

Most other stop start systems I know of do this in D itself so that if you are at a signal, it would go off after a 3 sec wait and then restart as soon as the foot comes off the brake. Loss of AC during stop is a concern considering the already marginal cooling.

Wow, I was just going to say that the Climatronic seats are a key USP over its competitors for a tropical market like India. But it looks like Germans design only for German climate.
You don't really feel the air from AC seats but it does help a lot. Almost all cars internationally(Lexus,Infiniti) feel the same. Try keeping your hands on the seats, you would feel a mild blow of air which is better than not having any blower at all for our climate.
Old 1st May 2011, 21:38   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just checking European websites for information regarding Passat and Superb. In Europe even Superb comes with the Parking system seen in Passat here, also 170hp Diesel engine too is offered. My guess is, it's not long before Skoda offers better value Diesel variant in Superb, all the additional gadgetry + 170 hp Diesel in top end version.

Superb too comes with a weak AC. My Laura CR's AC is cooling well in North India's 40c+ summers.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:02   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Are you kidding ?

Let me tell a few I can remember,

1) paddle shifts
2)Regenerative braking(cool feature to show off to friends)
3)Rear window electric shade.
4) Auto start/stop.
5)rear badge integrated Camera.
6)Those DLR's are cool.
7)Sleep alert system.
8)Key less entry.
If I remember right 1,3 and 8 are standard in the Superb as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I was just checking European websites for information regarding Passat and Superb. In Europe even Superb comes with the Parking system seen in Passat here, also 170hp Diesel engine too is offered. My guess is, it's not long before Skoda offers better value Diesel variant in Superb, all the additional gadgetry + 170 hp Diesel in top end version.
Yes, even here in SE Asia, the parking system is available in the Superb for a while.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:38   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is firm but not rock hard like an Audi on S-line spec. Handles better than a Superd sicne the wheelbase is less
Well that would be logical, but ACI seems to find it otherwise. They say the steering, stiffer rear suspension makes the superb better handler esp in bends and hilly roads. Of course, one doesn't know whether to trust a mag, but they did test Passat and Superb back-to-back for this month's magazine...
Old 5th May 2011, 08:44   #80
Team-BHP Support

The superb had better turn in and felt more lighter going into corners, but the long wheelbase dulls handling on the limit. This is my opinion. ACI are entitled to their viewpoint. You must also rmeember that they are also referencing the old Passat which was more stiffer
Old 6th May 2011, 00:30   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The superb had better turn in and felt more lighter going into corners, but the long wheelbase dulls handling on the limit. This is my opinion. ACI are entitled to their viewpoint. You must also rmeember that they are also referencing the old Passat which was more stiffer
I guess there are different aspects to handling (as in almost anything) :-) ACI also says the steering in the Passat lacks feel, too light, did you feel that way ? Also, there is signficant body roll ?
Old 6th May 2011, 00:37   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I've not driven the new Passat but Superb has very stiff low speed ride which is quite close to being uncomfortable, for a car focussed on rear seat it should have more absorbent ride. The new Passat is told to have a softer setup.

Waiting for ajmat's comments on this.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th May 2011 at 00:39.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:31   #83
Team-BHP Support

I was looking through the VW India website just now. Only Comfortline and Highline trims are listed. Trendline was not seen. Is it that they're not offering the Trendline version?
Old 7th May 2011, 08:53   #84
BHPian

According to mumbai VW dealer the manual gearbox trendline version is expected by june end.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Passat HL : First Drive!

WOW! My first ever drive on 12L + car, Automatic and what else DSG. Thanks to my Boss, who is looking for his Accord replacement.

Driven approximate 5KMs near CP.

Car is just easy to drive like my Beat. External dimensions are not at all a problem. Ride was bit bumpy in my speed range (up to 60KMPH). I did't like the overall feel of the steering. I like Beat's steering more! Acceleration is bit slow from stop go. It is not instant. Gadgets. OMG, it has everything. Park Assist was nice. But I like to park myself. Controls are within reach. SatNav missed in the central display.

Executive was bla on average mileage 16Km/l. The on-board trip-meter was showing 8.7km/l .

Overall a good car. But 29L for HL is a deal break. Executive was insisting Passat is far better than Audi A4!!!

Any way Boss rejected the car due to short rear leg room than Accord. He is 6'1". Today Superb will be here for TD. Hope I can lay my hands on her too.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 20th May 2011, 17:01   #86
Team-BHP Support

I had a short Td of the Passat and I was impressed.

Firstly the car looks much bigger than the previous one, maybe due to it being less rounded. The LEDs look awesome and the car looks great. The feature list is very impressive.

The good build quality is very evident from the time you open the door. Upon pressing the start button I heard a murmur and then there was silence. The NVH of the engine really impressed me. Slotted it into D and started off, the salesman telling me thrice "Sir very sensitive brakes". The throttle was a little dead at first, but most cars feel so after my Accord with its oversensitive accelerator. We passed a few bumps, I could feel the ride a little stiff, but it smoothened out as I picked up a little speed.

The steering is similar to the Superbs, not much feedback and a little light. But gets a heavier with speed. Giving full throttle the car just zipped. It felt so calm, I could just see the speedometer moving up with a slight increase in engine noise. This car is quick, but does not feel it thanks to the great insulation and not much turbo lag.

The DSG is brilliant. I'm not going to describe it, drive it and see for yourself.

Then the salesman wanted to give us a demo of the self parking. I wanted to try it but he gave some silly excuse and decided to show it himself. Too bad he didn't know how to use it properly, or could not find the right spot. But in the end finally after trying some 10 times he made it work and it was fun watching the wheel turn on its own. It can be quite useful sometimes.

IMO the AC was fine for Mumbai weather but with good film it will be top class. The ventilated seats also were working but took a while to cool down. Again I think film would help these too since they were very hot when we entered the car.

The keyless entry and start button, reversing camera and the auto park are nice little features to have.

Space inside feels about the same as the previous Passat. After sitting in the front I could sit behind the front seat with my adjustments (I'm 6'4" BTW) with reasonable comfort.

All in all I would say a very good buy for the money. I would pick it over the 320d CE, A4 2.0tdi and C220cdi.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 00:56   #87
Senior - BHPian

I was reading the review of the American Passat and noticed how different it looks. The rear is very smart looking and the front gets bi-xenon headlamps and not the LED day time running lights.

Volkswagen US hasn't announced pricing for the 2012 Passat just yet, but the company says that it's aiming for a price point in the low-$20K range (Don't convert that into INR ). Great VFM!

2012 Volkswagen Passat — Autoblog
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-012012volkswagenpassatfd.jpg  

Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat-042012volkswagenpassatfd.jpg  

Last edited by theragingbull : 25th May 2011 at 00:59.
Old 25th May 2011, 06:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I was reading the review of the American Passat and noticed how different it looks. The rear is very smart looking and the front gets bi-xenon headlamps and not the LED day time running lights.
The rear is very much similar to the new Jetta - to be launched soon here in India.
Old 25th May 2011, 09:28   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

Volkswagen US hasn't announced pricing for the 2012 Passat just yet, but the company says that it's aiming for a price point in the low-$20K range (Don't convert that into INR ). Great VFM!

2012 Volkswagen Passat — Autoblog
From what I know, the 2012 US Passat is a different car, developed specifically for US and China markets. Looks good nevertheless
Old 30th May 2011, 23:26   #90
BHPian

Saturday, got a call from the dealer for a test drive and reached there after td of endeavour. The contrast was too much. Car drives pretty fast and i could push it till 180 kmph on the stretch where i have so far gone max upto 160 kmph in all cars this side of 20 lakhs. It drives like dream;smooth like a petrol engine. DSG in laura is same but paddle shifters are much more fun. Shortlisting it.
Space at the rear is not impressive as per family. I didnt like the placing of air scoops for the front seats (cooling) functions. Right umder the seat above the carpet- means will suck up a lot of dust over period of time . It has probably a blower too for the passenger's feet (rear).

Park assist, start stop functiions work well: no demo of bi xenons and turning lamps being broad daylight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks