Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 11:45   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

The Hyundai Grand i10 has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 4.29 - 6.41 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:

• All-rounded package in a contemporary design. Improved over the old i10 in nearly every way
• Interiors have best-in-class fit, finish & quality. Increased cabin space & boot capacity
• Fuel-efficient, practical diesel & peppy petrol. Smooth gearbox too
• Loaded with features (keyless start & go, electric folding ORVMs, rear air-con, cooled glovebox etc.)
• Comfortable ride quality and predictable handling. No bumpiness
• Hyundai's fussfree ownership experience & excellent after-sales service
• Priced lower than chief competitor, the Maruti Swift

What you won't:

• 1.1L diesel lacks the top-end punch of competition. Ordinary highway performance
• Missing climate control, adjustable front neck restraints and dead pedal
• The Swift and Brio are more fun to drive. Grand i10's steering & dynamics aren't to an enthusiast's tastes
• Rear defogger, ABS & Airbags only on Asta trim level. Should have been optional with the middle variant
• More suited as a 4 seater, rather than 5
• Automatic transmission is still some time away from launch

The 1st Gen i10:

Review Link

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2013 at 20:23.
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 11:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

The 1st-gen i10 was launched in India in the year 2007. Despite a petrol-only engine range, it accomplished a monthly sales average of 8,000 over the last 12 months. What's more, the i10 has consistently ranked in the Top 10 bestsellers chart. 6 years since the time of launch, there isn't a doubt that the ol' i10 is still a competent city hatchback.

In the fiercely competitive B2 hatchback segment, a successful formula is hard to arrive at. Why mess with a good thing then? In an approach that's similar to that of the new Maruti Swift, the Grand i10 is an evolution of the earlier car. It's a safe, conservative strategy that entails improving the existing package, rather than trying something entirely different. The Grand i10 is a step ahead in nearly every way, but it doesn't throw out any of the advantages of the 1st-generation car. Importantly, this time around, Hyundai has a crucial weapon in its arsenal : A diesel engine.

This is the 2nd generation i10. India gets it before Europe, just like the 1st gen which had its world premiere here. Not surprising, as India is the most important market for this car. There have been some India-specific changes as well. For starters, the length increases by 100 mm, as does the wheelbase by 40 mm. The rear window & door are bigger than on the Euro version too. The C-Pillar is different and a rear air-conditioner has been added to the kit. Internationally, the Grand i10 replaces the 1st-gen; however, Hyundai India intends to sell both side by side here. The compact car segment accounts for 70% of the market, no wonder that Maruti & Hyundai deploy a similar approach to guarding their turf by offering multiple hatchbacks within a narrow price band...product overlap notwithstanding. Maruti has 9 hatchbacks on sale in India and the Grand is Hyundai's 5th. Going forward, I do think that the older i10 will be placed a notch lower and have the 1.1L iRDE petrol as its only engine option.

Merely a couple of thousand rupees separate the old & new i10s. This is really nothing in EMI terms. Of course, the ex-showroom prices don't account for dealer discounts on the older car, yet the difference remains small. As things stand today, there is no reason to buy the old i10 over the new; the Grand is a huge step forward and is worth every rupee of the $$$ difference. With the old i10 on one side and the i20 on the other, product overlap is inevitable. Consider this: The i20 Sportz (with a driver Airbag & ABS) carries an ex-showroom price of 5.95 lakhs in Delhi. The Grand i10 Asta (with dual airbags & ABS) costs 5.51 lakhs. Bring in dealer discounts on the i20 and the gap is too slim to ignore for any potential customer. Importantly, variant to variant, the Grand i10 is priced lower than chief competitor, the Swift. While the Swift has tremendous brand equity and Maruti's muscle behind it, weaker cars like the Figo, Liva, Vista etc. will take the hardest hit. They cannot match Hyundai's sheer quality, marketing muscle or dealer strength. In the tough market conditions of current time (related link), weak products are the first to suffer.

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-hyundai-grand-i10-corrected-specifications-prices.png

This 2nd-generation car is longer & wider than the older i10, but it's height is shorter by 30 mm. Thus, the Grand i10 has a better stance. It's no tall boy like the Santro, neither is it a low slung ride. The Grand i10 sits somewhere in between. The car looks more European than Korean, and that’s completely intentional. It has been styled at Hyundai's design center in Germany (not Korea) by Thomas Bürkle. Mr. Bürkle's previous employers include BMW & VW. Do good looks result in a sale? Just ask the Maruti Swift.

Keeping in mind the mass market aspirations of this car, the Fluidic theme has been toned down. The Grand i10's design is neutral, it will please most and offend none. A hatchback deals with a more conservative customer than the Verna or Elantra, as an example. The new i10 is a great looking car, yet it's not overdone. Though the Grand i10 gains 75 kilos in kerb weight, it's still on the lighter side at 935 kilos (Swift = 960). Overall quality, fit & finish are exemplary inside out. The shut lines are perfect and consistent all through, while the shiny paint job looks neat. The build is not European solid, but it is certainly not what I'd call tinny either. For instance, the doors shut in a premium manner. It's obvious that the i10 is built to precise, high-quality standards, even if that "thud" is absent.

The feature list runs long and has a couple of segment-firsts. Among other items, the top Asta (O) trim is equipped with dual airbags, ABS, keyless entry & go, reverse parking sensors, electrically folding mirrors, gearshift suggestion tool, rear air-con, cooled glovebox and 1 GB of onboard memory for your MP3s. On the flip side, climate control & adjustable front neck restraints (headrests) are conspicuous by their absence. I strongly disagree with Hyundai's decision of providing the immensely useful rear defogger only on the Asta variant. Then, ABS should have been offered at least as an option on the Sportz variant. I hope these two vital safety features are introduced on the middle variant in the near future.

For the convenience seekers, the Grand i10 Automatic will follow in a couple of months. If you're in a hurry, you'll have to make do with the old i10 AT that is currently on sale.

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-hyundai-grand-i10-features.png

Thoroughly contemporary styling:

My favourite angle. It's obvious that the i10 has been designed in Germany:

Fluidic styling toned down, as mass market appeal is important to this car:

Rear end looks chic. Electric boot release button tucked away under the H logo:

Compared to the European i10, the Grand is 100 mm longer with a wheelbase increment of 40 mm. Not a tallboy, and not low slung either; somewhere in between:

Hyundai-family face with a chrome strip as a highlight. Large hexagonal grill looks neat:

Pulled-back headlamps are noticeably bigger than on the ol' i10:

Chrome ringed Foglamps:

Small mud-flap ahead of the front tyre, to handle air flow (related read):

Attention to detail. Notice the superb integration of the windshield washer. Clean look, unlike the protruding units of the Swift. Even the funky EcoSport has them placed awkwardly on the bonnet:

Thin 165/65 R14 rubber on dual-tone 8 spoke rims. Hyundai calls this finish the 'diamond cut'. If you frequently head out on the highway, I highly recommend an upgrade to tyres of a 175 / 185 patch:

1st-gen i10 had the outdated flap-type door handles, Grand gets a pull-type design that's more with the times. I'm not a fan of the flashy chrome effect. Top Asta trim gets keyless entry & go. No need to take the key out of your pocket or press any buttons on the remote. Simply walk up to the i10 and hit the black request sensor to open the door:

Large ORVMs get integrated blinkers:

Massive black molding at the bottom of the doors. Should help in preventing 'em parking lot scratches & dents:

Roof rails are for style as well as purpose. You can install a roof carrier / box without drilling any holes:

Radio antenna moves to the rear (earlier i10 wore it at the front):

Rear door & window are bigger on the India-spec i10, and the C-Pillar is restyled too. The European i10 gets a funkier cut (link to image), but it makes the rear claustrophobic for passengers. Conventional style is also keeping in mind the tastes of the mass market. Yep, the rear window rolls down all the way:

Sweet wraparound tail-lamps:

Inexplicably, the rear defogger, wash & wipe are only available on the Asta trim. The defogger is such a useful safety feature, it doesn't make sense to restrict it to the top variant. Also visible in this picture is the roof spoiler:

4 rear parking sensors offer audible (not visual) feedback. Large bumper reflectors look nice and should be that much safer too:

The 2nd-gen i10 is the global replacement of the older car. In India however, the new i10 will sell above the 1st-gen, with the Grand moniker:

Some pictures of a different body colour. Alongside the i20:

Two motion shots of me driving. Photo credit to Ritesh Madhok:

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2013 at 10:08.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Interiors - Front

The i10's interiors have grown up, with the Grand wearing a more mature design on the inside. What strikes you first is the sheer quality. Fit & finish are truly flawless with top grade parts to match. This is easily the segment best, the Swift doesn't even come close. Not only is the part quality good, but also impressive is the way in which they've been screwed together. In fact, overall quality betters some of the million-rupee C segment sedans. If there is cost cutting in here, it is just not visible.

The interiors wear a colour combination of black & beige. Actually, it's more of a light brown than beige. While the lighter colour does bring in a nice contrast, black is in the overwhelming majority here. The ambience is certainly not as bright & chirpy as it was in the old i10. Some of you might find it to be a bit too dark. The design is straightforward and high on functionality. Like the exterior skin, the styling inside has universal appeal. The front seats have a subtle bucket effect, making you sit 'inside' them. Under-thigh & lateral support are satisfactory. On the other hand, the integrated neck restraints look out of place in such a feature-rich car. While they suited my height (5'10") perfectly well, others might miss the flexibility that an adjustable headrest brings. The front seat's fore & aft adjustment range is very long and thus, even 6 feet drivers will fit in without complaint. That, coupled with the driver's seat height adjustment, ensures a comfortable driving position. The ergonomics are spot on and driver controls are logically placed. All of the buttons are XL-sized making them easy to use. There's no doubt that Hyundai is right up there with Toyota & Honda in the area of user-friendliness. The single complaint I have is of the seat height adjustment lever being too close to the doorpad. Those with broad arms will need to open the door to crank the seat height up.

Headroom is generous and though this is a small hatchback, cabin width is sufficient enough to prevent front seat occupants from elbowing each other. The seat cushioning is neither too soft nor too firm, it's just right. The upholstery feels durable, although the lighter area (in the center) is a dirt magnet. All-round driver visibility is sufficient, including rearward vision when parking. The 4 rear parking sensors provide audible feedback and work just as intended. Note : Short drivers buying lower variants (sans seat height adjustment) should first check if the dashboard is too high for them, as the seat is placed on the lower side.

The perfectly sized steering wheel exudes premiumness and is a joy to use. It has integrated controls for the audio, phone & MID. Though the large buttons are easy to use, I feel they bring a load of clutter to the steering. The horn pad isn't India-friendly and doesn't expand out as much. As a result, you have to stretch your thumb to honk. The center console mounted gear lever falls right into your hand and is light to use. This positioning helps free up space around the handbrake area. The Grand doesn't have a dead pedal (note: cheaper Santro is equipped with one), yet there is room to rest your left foot over the expressway runs. In contrast to the old i10 and the new Swift (image link), the center console didn't mess with my left leg when using the clutch. I wish Hyundai had provided a driver armrest; it would've rounded off the experience. The simple instrument console is easy to read, as is the audio display even under direct sunlight. You can toggle through the MID options via the steering mounted button marked 'Trip'. While the i10's MID has dual trip-meters and information on average speed & 'engine running time', instantaneous / average fuel efficiency data will be sorely missed by owners. The immensely helpful 'distance to empty' count is nowhere to be seen either.

The OEM audio system plays music from a variety of sources; bluetooth phone streaming, USB, AUX and CD. Additionally, there is 1 GB (863 MB usable) of onboard storage which you can use to store MP3s that you can copy off a flash drive. The head-unit supports folder browsing via dedicated buttons for the same. The stereo has decent clarity by factory fit standards. The front speakers are good, albeit I found the rear to be on the weaker side. You can pair up to 5 phones via bluetooth. Not only is the audio volume speed sensitive, you can also set its aggression level. The head-unit's high placement means you don't have to look too low while driving. If you find the display to be a distraction at night, simply hit the DISP button to turn the screen off. I appreciate the attention to detail whereby, if you change the volume or radio station, the display will come on for only a moment, show you the changes and switch off again.

The glovebox is quite accommodating by small car standards. It runs deep and has a cooling function that you can use for cola cans over long road trips. The door pockets are wide and spacious. Each of the 4 doors is equipped with a 1-liter bottle holder too. The cubicle below the USB / AUX connectors is perfect for your smartphone. There are 2 cupholders (1 large, 1 medium) and a rectangular storage spot around the handbrake. Lastly, the passenger seat gets a useful seatback pocket.

Extremely high quality steering wheel with contours for your thumbs. Wouldn't be out of place in cars 2 segments above. Big audio / phone / MID buttons are practical, although I do think they bring clutter. You need to stretch your thumb to honk:

Simple instrument cluster is easy to read. Good to see that the analog temperature gauge is back (old i10 didn't have one). Related Thread:

MID has two trip meters, average speed data and engine running time. Average & real-time fuel efficiency displays are conspicuous by their absence. Also missing is the very useful distance-to-empty counter:

Asta variant's smart key can remain in your pocket. Keyless entry & go means you don't have to remove it to open the car or start the engine. Lowest button is to open the boot:

Press the clutch pedal and hit the engine start / stop button to fire up the motor. Press it without the clutch to enter audio / 'ignition on' modes:

Well-contoured front seats offer good support. Integrated neck restraints look out of place in an otherwise premium hatchback. Hyundai should have given the adjustable type:

Driver's seat height adjustment has a reasonable range:

Seatbelts aren't adjustable for height:

Sound quality is decent by OEM standards. Front speakers are good, albeit the rear are weak. Climate control sorely missed on the Asta variant. As is the case with most Hyundai cars, the air-conditioner is effective:

In what is a segment first, the Grand i10 is equipped with 1 GB (863 MB usable) onboard storage. You can use this to copy songs from a flash drive:

USB, AUX & 12v power socket have an ideal location. You can park your smartphone / MP3 player right below:

Shockingly, the rear defogger is available only on the top Asta variant. I sincerely hope Hyundai reconsiders this decision. It isn't expensive or complicated, but still an extremely useful safety feature:

The front door pad. Door pocket is wide enough for you to pick a coin from its base. All 4 doors get 1 liter bottle holders. Notice the silver finish door handle:

The topmost button electrically folds in / out the ORVMs. Additionally, the mirrors fold in / out automatically when you lock / unlock the i10:

Wide ORVMs offer a good field of view:

No dead pedal, although there is room to rest your left foot:

Fuse box & OBD port are located right above the driver footwell. Master 'On / Off' switch is unique, haven't seen it in any other car. In 'off' position, it will automatically cut off current leakage from the battery after 20 minutes. Can be useful for the times when you want to park the i10 for a longer duration:

Control stalks feel precise & durable:

Fairly accommodating glovebox. Runs quite deep...

...and has cooling functionality too! Handy for the times you want to keep water / coke cans cool over long highway runs:

Two cup / bottle holders (one small, the other large) around the handbrake area. There's a rectangular storage cubicle as well:

Passenger sun visor has a vanity mirror, while the driver gets a band to hold toll tickets or a newspaper:

Cabin lamp only at the front, rear passengers left in the dark. A center placement would've been preferred:

No lever to open the boot. It's linked to the central locking system. Remember to lock the doors on the drive to / from work, especially if your laptop is in the trunk. No, the i10 doesn't have auto-locking doors:

Wide rear view mirror keeps you updated of all the action behind:

Rearward view for the driver is satisfactory:

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2015 at 13:13.
GTO is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:18   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Interiors - Rear

The Grand i10 is no tallboy like the Santro. Translated, you have to 'sit down' on the seats. @ Elderly, please make note.

Rear legroom has noticeably improved over the 1st-gen i10. That 40 mm wheelbase increment is immediately apparent, and Hyundai engineers have played their part in maximising interior space in what is a compact car. Unlike the 1st-gen i10, two tall occupants can be seated front & back. Rear legroom is now adequate and owners will have no complaint on this front (but it's no Indica Vista). There is ample headroom on offer. The seat's under-thigh support is above average, while the backrest runs long enough to support taller passengers. Best part is, the seatback is at a very relaxed, comfortable angle. As someone who prefers a reclined seating style, I felt right at home. Unlike the front units, the rear neck restraints / headrests are adjustable. This is a definite advantage from the point of convenience as well as safety. You'll find sufficient foot room (especially vertically) under the front seats to rest those XL-size shoes. The door armrests belong to the "thin" parts bin. Occupants with broad forearms won't get full support.

Despite the India-spec i10 wearing larger rear windows, the window sill is higher than I'd prefer. It does limit the glass area, and the view outside for shorter occupants. Not claustrophobic, but it restricts the amount of light coming in. Not many compact hatchbacks can seat 3 well-fed adults on the rear bench and the Grand i10 is no different. 3 slim passengers might sit side by side, but it'll be too much of a squeeze for those with larger proportions. The seat's center area (which serves as a backrest to the 5th passenger) gets enhanced padding. The floor hump is small enough, thereby allowing the 5th occupant to place his feet on it without issue. Still, if you regularly need to carry 3 on the backseat, I suggest a visit to the Toyota (Liva), Chevrolet (Sail U-VA) and Tata (Vista) showrooms.

The rear air-conditioner (a segment first) helps in maintaining a cooler temperature at the back. This is all the more important with the recent ban on sunfilm. The rear a/c allows you to individually adjust the airflow direction on either side, and has a common setting for height. When the backseat is empty, you can shut the blower vents off. While on the topic, the Grand i10's air-conditioner is an effective unit. It did a fair job on the hot test-drive day in Rajasthan. Note that the front (circular) air vents can't be closed entirely. Also, I didn't like the feel of the temperature knob which was harder than expected (compared to the blower & air direction knobs). It gives out a lot of resistance as you move to higher temperatures.

The Grand i10 has a 256 liter boot. That's a 31 liter gain on the old i10, and over 50 liters on the Swift. The rear seat does fold down for those airport runs, but not in a 60:40 flexible ratio. The boot is linked to the car's central locking system and the i10 (surprisingly!!) doesn't have auto-locking doors.

Rear seat offers adequate back & under-thigh support. Legroom has noticeably improved over the old i10, due to the wheelbase increase of 40 mm. Notice how relaxed the backrest angle is:

Me (height 5'10") on the rear bench:

Rear air-con is a segment first. Individual air flow direction control for 2 passengers. Yes, the air vents can be closed, when required. Right below is a 12v power socket for the gadgets of rear bench occupants:

The i10's rear neck restraints are height-adjustable:

Ample foot room. Vertical space under the front seat is generous:

One seatback pocket for storage (behind the front passenger seat):

Both rear doors get wide door pockets with 1 liter bottle holders:

Small floor hump. Doesn't interfere with the 5th occupant's feet as much as the VW Polo's does:

The front seats' integrated neck restraints aren't too tall. Advantage = Better frontal visibility for rear passengers:

256 liter boot. 31 liter gain on the old i10, and over 50 liters bigger than that of the Swift:

The rear seat can fold down for those runs to the international airport. No 60:40 splitting flexibility though:

Relative size, with a large laptop bag placed inside:

Parcel tray (standard on all, except the base i10) keeps your valuables safe from prying eyes:

The boot lamp:

Nope, the spare isn't an alloy wheel:

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2013 at 10:10.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:19   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The i10 finally gets an oil-burner in its Grand avatar. The old i10 soldiered on for much too long with a petrol-only engine range. Interesting to note that the 1st-gen i10 was available with a diesel internationally, yet it was never sold in India:

2nd generation 1120 cc 3-cylinder common rail diesel. 70 BHP (@ 4,000 rpm) and 160 Nm of torque (@ 1,500 - 2,750 rpm):

Compact motor is an easy fit inside the tidy & organised engine bay:

Air-intake might suck in hot air from the side of the engine bay itself! The intake plumbing of some cars starts right above the radiator grill, thereby taking in cooler + denser air. Perhaps, that arrangement would have been preferred?

Reverse is located up, to the extreme left:

You must pull the safety lever upward, before engaging reverse gear:

Diesel stamped all of 3 times. Unsuspecting petrol pump attendants have yet to get used to the idea of a diesel i10:

MID makes suggestions on gear upshifts & downshifts, both. Newbie drivers will appreciate:

• Hyundai's 1,120 cc 3-cylinder 12 valve diesel has a cast-iron block with an aluminium head.
• It's the 2nd generation 1.1L diesel. 70 BHP (@ 4,000 rpm) and 160 Nm of torque (@ 1,500 - 2,750 rpm).
• Utilizes hydraulic engine mounts.
• Has a balancer shaft to iron out the imbalance / vibrations inherent to a 3-cylinder motor.
• The turbine housing is integrated with the exhaust manifold. Advantage? Lower weight and lesser thermal loss.
• The diesel's ARAI rating is 24 kpl, over a kpl more than the Maruti Swift's 22.9 kpl.
• Operates at 1800 bar pressure and is Euro 5 ready.

Relative to the Swift, the Grand i10 diesel loses 1 cylinder, 4 BHP and 30 Nm of torque. However, because the Hyundai is a lighter car, it's power to weight difference to the Swift is only 2 BHP / Tonne. Also, the i10's power / weight is superior to that of the Figo & Polo diesels.

Start the i10 diesel and the cabin shakes, as the engine moves about on its mounts. Once the motor is running, refinement at idle is at acceptable levels. There is a small amount of vibration felt, yet it's well under control. This is one of the few giveaways that there is a 3-cylinder under the hood. In all other areas, the mass market won't even know about the missing cylinder.

A light touch on the accelerator is all you need to get moving. The U2 diesel's torque curve is flat as a result of which, power delivery is straight & linear. Hyundai stressed on the jerk-free nature of this engine and I have to agree. Turbo-lag is minimal and you really won't be downshifting in traffic as much as its 1.3L MJD competition. I could let the car fall to crawling speeds in 2nd gear, and then pull off effortlessly. At one point, I slowed down and executed a U turn without downshifting to 1st. This engine & turbocharger have been tuned for city driveability and it shows. Combine the lag-free nature of the diesel with the light controls (steering, gearbox, clutch) and what you end up with is an effortless urban commuter. When it comes to city driveability, the i10 diesel - along with the Micra 1.5 DCi - are hard to beat.

On the flip side, the 2,000 rpm punch that you get in some other diesel hatchbacks is missing. Power delivery remains linear through most of the revv range. In terms of outright performance, the Grand i10 is strictly average. Out on the open road, a sedate driving style is mandatory. This isn't a revv-happy diesel. While the motor has a max rpm of 5,000, it's pointless revving the i10 beyond 3,500 - 3,700 rpm. It starts losing breath and progress tapers off sharply. The i10 diesel has a torque deficit of 30 Nm to the Swift; this becomes obvious on expressways. To keep up with fast traffic, you have to run the engine on the boil. If you're cruising at 120 kph and slow down, you have to make the li'l 1.1 motor work hard to get back to speed. There isn’t a doubt that you'll frequently encounter situations on the highway where the motor runs out of breath. Sometimes, you downshift to 3rd to overtake (like in other cars), but you simply hit a wall. You have no option other than to wait it out. Overtaking fast vehicles does require planning in the diesel i10, especially on two lane highways. The i10 is more comfortable cruising in a relaxed manner on the expressway. 100 kph is seen at 2,400 rpm in 5th gear while 120 kph has the needle hovering at ~2,900 rpm.

The diesel's clutch is light (think, petrol light). The gearbox is smooth to use and has well-defined gates. For a 3 cylinder car, refinement on the inside is excellent. The common man won't even realise there is a missing cylinder under the hood. This engine is in complete contrast to the unrefined, turbo-lag laden 3 cylinder diesel of the Polo. When driving about in the city, engine sound is mild & unobtrusive. At cruising speeds of 100 kph, there is no engine sound at all. Wind noise is also well controlled, the only thing you hear is the rolling of the tyres. Near the redline though, the U2 diesel feels strained & coarse, and is nowhere as likable as the Swift 1.3L. The steering is vibration-free, while the same on the pedals is at minimal levels. The engine isn't too noisy on the outside either. Except for the rocking motion when starting the engine, there aren't any rough edges left out by Hyundai.

The 1.2L Petrol

1.2L 4-cylinder petrol with variable valve timing on the intake / exhaust. 82 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 114 Nm max torque (@ 4,000 rpm). That's an increase of 3 BHP & (marginal) 2 Nm torque on the older i10:

Petrol's transmission follows a conventional layout:

The DOHC 1.2L 4-cylinder petrol is a gem of an engine. Compared to the old i10, power is marginally bumped up to 82 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 114 Nm max torque (@ 4,000 rpm). Unlike the diesel, the petrol starts seamlessly. Torque delivery at low rpms, and within city driving conditions, is satisfactory by petrol standards. The refinement levels are outstanding and power comes in smooth. I didn't observe a single flat-spot in the entire rpm range. Prod the engine further and it's revv-happy nature becomes immediately evident. The 1.2L petrol feels eager on the open road and climbs clean to the 6,600 rpm limit. Where the 1.1L diesel requires you to adopt a sedate driving style, the petrol is energetic and a lot more fun on the highway. There is plenty of mid-range punch. Unlike the diesel, overtaking fast traffic only requires a downshift. Expressway performance is a full level above the diesel i10. That said, the older i10 enjoys a superior power-to-weight ratio, thanks to its lighter kerb weight. The ARAI rating of the new car is 18.9 kpl, that's lower than the 20.36 kpl rating of the 1st-gen i10. 1.5 kpl is quite a difference! While a good part of it could be due to the 75 kilo weight gain, I'm not sure if that's the only reason.

The 1.2L petrol's refinement levels are excellent. There is absolutely no noise or vibration at idle (nearly Chevrolet Beat like). The engine feels smooth when high-revving, though it can get fairly vocal over 5,000 rpm. Enthusiasts will enjoy the engine note. Just like the diesel, the petrol engine is mated to a light clutch & smooth gearbox.

The i10's suspension hardware consists of an independent MacPherson strut layout at the front, and a torsion beam axle at the rear. All 4 dampers (shock absorbers) are gas charged. The focus of Hyundai's engineers was on ride comfort, and owners will be pleased to note that the old i10's bumpiness is history. The Grand i10 has an extremely compliant ride within the city. Bumps are soaked in with a muted thud. After spending some time with the car, I even stopped slowing down for irregularities on the highway. The suspension absorbs small - medium potholes really well. The high speed ride is planted...a lot more so than the more expensive i20! Driving behind our i20 support car on undulating roads, I could see its rear bouncing up & down a lot more than the Grand I was in. From being a disadvantage, the i10's ride quality is now a selling point in the B2 hatchback segment. I must add that the diesel appeared to have a more pliant ride than the petrol. Not sure whether it's due to the added weight up front, or the petrol's tyre pressure (I didn't have a chance to check the PSI).

The i10's suspension was never going to make it a corner carver. The handling can best be termed as safe & predictable. Suffice to say, it is in line with the expectations of a family hatchback. Also, there are no hidden devils or nasty surprises. The car holds its own in emergency manouveurs, but you do feel the body roll at times like these, and during hard cornering. The Swift is significantly more fun to drive on a fast ghat section and the Figo's brilliant dynamics are in a different league altogether. As mentioned in the 2nd post, I find the 165/65 R14 tyres too skinny, more so for intercity runs. An upgrade to 175 / 185 mm tyres is strongly recommended for safety & the enhanced grip levels. The i10's steering is effortless to use when parking, and at city speeds. You can easily steer the car with one hand! This is what the mass market (especially women) will appreciate. The turning radius is compact and makes the i10 a breeze to drive in the city. The steering feels reasonably direct, but don't get me wrong, petrol-heads should look elsewhere. It's not communicative and there is no feedback coming through. For a Hyundai, the EPS weighs up sufficiently well at 100+ kph. Straight line stability is decent. It's no tank, yet there is no nervousness either. Good thing is, the steering isn't twitchy or overtly sensitive at speed. Nevertheless, as with most electric power steerings, you need to maintain a firm hand on the highway.

We've never had an issue with the brakes of Hyundai cars and the Grand i10 is no different. The brakes work as expected in terms of pedal feel & capability. Although some might find the bite to be a bit too sharp, it's easy to get a hang of. Replicating an emergency braking manouveur from 90 kph, the Grand i10 stopped in a straight line without drama. It's important to mention that the i10's brakes feel superior to the LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi variants of the Swift (no complaints with the Swift ZXi / ZDi). The Grand's ground clearance of 165 mm is identical to that of the older i10, WagonR & Beat. The Swift & Ritz have a higher 170 mm clearance.

Inadequate underbody protection (a must-have for India). At the minimum, a plastic shield should have been provided. Consider the predicament that this i20 owner faced (link):

Overall NVH insulation is top class!

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2013 at 23:34.
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:19   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Other Points:

• Hyundai offers a 5 year extended warranty on its other cars, expect the same on the Grand i10 too. Highly recommended (Related Link).

• Fuel tank has grown in size to 43 liters (1st-gen i10 = 35 liters).

• The single OEM horn is too weak & timid. I suggest an upgrade to a dual-tone horn at the dealer.

• Fitting an after-market music system will be difficult, because of the way that the OEM ICE has been integrated with the dashboard. If you are keen on improving the sound quality, it's probably best to swap in better speakers and add an amplifier if possible.

• The i10 might be a small car, but there is nothing economy about it. After spending 2 days with the Grand, it just left behind a 'feel-good' factor. This isn't the case with a Liva, for example. Hyundai could've easily knocked off 20 - 30k on costs by compromising on interior quality. They didn't; it's these decisions that build a brand.

• Those 1847 Grand i10s dispatched in August 2013 (August 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis) were mainly for marketing purposes. Display & test-drive cars at nearly 400 dealerships took up the majority of that month's production.

• Despite the contemporary design, the i10's coefficient of drag rating is merely average @ 0.35. The Swift & Polo bodies are more aerodynamic.

• Unlike Maruti which has to pay a hefty royalty to Fiat for using the 1.3L MJD diesel, Hyundai's in-house engine development means no such add-on costs. That is probably one of the factors behind the competent pricing strategy.

• Hyundai's new engine plant is completely flexible. It can produce petrol & diesel motors in any ratio, based on market demand.

• At one time, the old i10 MT was offered with a sunroof option. That isn't available on the Grand i10.

• Considering the potential volumes of this car, after-market modifiers will definitely line up power boxes for the diesel. Might be worth splurging on a reputable brand if you hit the highway often.

• The indicator stalk has a lane change function. Translated, a light tap will make the indicator blink thrice.

• The 1st-gen i10 was plagued with steering & dashboard rattle problems (link). Hopefully, these issues have been resolved in the new car.

• Both, the driver and front passenger doors, are linked to the central locking system. Locking / unlocking either of them applies to the entire car.

• The reset button on the steering can be used to reset not only the dual trip meters, but also the average speed & engine running time calculators.

• Pressing the engine start / stop button without the clutch activates audio & ignition modes. The button glows with an orange light in audio mode and a blue light in ignition mode.

• All variants - except the base - are equipped with electrically adjustable mirrors.

• The last 3 cylinder Hyundai diesel was the Accent 1.5L CRDi. That was also the first common-rail diesel for the masses. The only other common-rail option at the time was the Mercedes E220 CDI.

• Earlier i10 tyres had taller sidewalls (155/80 R13 size). Still, the Grand i10 has a more comfortable suspension. Ride quality is an area that the market is placing a lot of emphasis on. That's precisely why the new lot of cars are being softened. We saw it with the new Swift, Amaze, Alto 800 etc. in the economy segment, and the CR-V, 3-Series & C-Class in the luxury categories.

• If Hyundai could figure out how to mate an Automatic Transmission to the diesel i10, it would create an all new segment! The cheapest AT diesel hatchbacks you can buy today are the Mercedes A Class and BMW 1 series.

• Some manufacturers lack an effective response mechanism to online leads, while others do it well. Click here, here and here for examples.

• Going by this pricing, we can safely assume that the Grand i10-based compact sedan (news link) will undercut the Dzire.

• Big shoutout to Stratos for post-processing the pictures. Thank you!

Disclaimer : Hyundai invited Team-BHP for the Grand i10 test-drive. They covered all the expenses for this driving event.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2013 at 23:35.
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:20   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Smaller Yet Significant Things:

Another example of the sheer attention to detail. In other cars, the carpeted base of the cup-holders can easily be removed with your fingers. Not so in the i10; it's fitted perfectly:

The several steering-mounted controls. Large buttons aid usability. Phone at the bottom left, MID options on the bottom right:

Driver-side window gets 'Auto Down' functionality:

Audio display is crystal clear to read under the bright afternoon sun. No glare:

Grab handle isn't spring-loaded. Rather, it's the boring fixed type. Rear grab handles are equipped with a coat / bag hook. I find these to be immensely practical when driving home with takeaway food in a plastic bag:

VIN stamped under the driver's seat. Notice those nifty hooks that help hold the floor mat in place:

4 circular air-vents at the front. It's not possible to shut them off completely. They let some amount of air through anyway:

Boot open? There's a warning sign for that (along with another one for the doors):

Tools are carefully placed in a high-quality bag made of insulating material. Should keep them from rattling. It's these little things that add to the 'feel good' factor:

Front passenger door gets a request sensor (for the keyless entry) too:

A close look at the seat upholstery. Material feels durable and should last the distance. However, the light shade in the center gets soiled quickly:

With the Eon, Hyundai insisted that this recess on the dashboard has been specifically provided for deity idols. If you are an atheist, here's a place for that bottle of car fragrance:

Bluetooth phone mic placed right above the driver:

The 1st-gen i10 scored 4 stars in the European NCAP (link). Will this 2nd-generation car better that score?

Like in other Hyundai cars, the i10's interior gets blue coloured illumination:

The 14" alloy wheel in regular finish (our test car wore the 'diamond cut' finish):

8 body colour options. My pick is the golden orange shade of our test car:
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:24   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Chief Competitors of the Hyundai Grand i10

Maruti Swift

What you’ll like:
• Snazzy styling packs appeal. Interiors are well-designed too
• Competent engine range. Very refined motors
• Balanced ride and handling. Superbly tuned suspension
• Terrific fuel efficiency, especially from the diesel
• Effortless to drive in the city; lots of fun on the highway
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service & wide dealer network

What you won’t:
• Small, impractical boot. Luggage capacity is severely restricted
• Mediocre brakes (LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi). Inadequate for emergency braking conditions
• Looks nearly identical to the outgoing generation car
• Rear seat space, though improved, still isn't "spacious"
• Pricey ZXi / ZDi variants. Also, ABS no longer an option on the middle “V” variants

VW Polo

What you'll like:
• A well-built solid European hatchback
• Clean and contemporary styling. Absolutely no quirkiness
• "Big car like" ride quality. Suspension setup ideal for Indian roads
• Neutral handling & mature road behaviour
• Fuel efficient range of engines
• 280 liter boot. Figo-like & substantially larger than direct competition

What you won't:
• Of the mainstream 3-cylinder engines, neither hits the sweet spot nor matches the segment benchmarks
• Equipment levels are far from the segment best
• Ordinary rear bench legroom. Comparable to the Ritz
• VW's sub-par aftersales service. Dealers aren't customer-centric

Ford Figo

What you'll like:
• Robust build and construction
• Interiors more comfortable than chief competitor, the Swift
• 1.4 Diesel's proven driveability and fuel efficiency. No turbolag
• The Ford Figo's mature big-car-like ride quality
• Ford's DNA in the on-road behaviour and quick steering
• Class-topping 284 liter boot space

What you won't:
• Lacks the modernity of recently launched hatchbacks
• Both engines are lacking in outright performance. Neither can exploit the car's dynamics
• Niggles & irritants, as reported by existing Figo owners
• Average backseat legroom. Not in the league of say, an Indica Vista
• Ford's dealership experience is a hit or miss

Tata Vista

What you'll like:
• Variety of petrol & diesel engine options. Take your pick!
• New interiors look and feel much better in terms of overall quality
• Improved gearbox, light clutch and light steering make for effortless city driving
• Spacious interiors. Roomiest in the segment; beats some sedans from 2 segments up
• Absorbent, comfortable ride quality
• Higher variants are well-equipped

What you won't:
• Fit and finish need improvement. Exterior panel gaps are inconsistent too
• Soft suspension setup. Best driven sedately
• Niggling issues & irritants persist (as reported by existing Vista owners)
• Tata’s after-sales-service remains a gamble

Toyota Liva

What you'll like:
• A neutral family hatchback with the "T" badge
• Spacious interiors can easily carry 5 adults
• Super light controls, especially steering & short-throw clutch. Effortless to drive within the city
• Well-tuned suspension. Safe handling and flat ride
• Safety package (Airbags, ABS & EBD) optional on middle variant too
• Toyota’s fuss-free ownership experience & excellent after-sales

What you won't:
• Mediocre 1.2L petrol & 1.4L diesel are far from the segment benchmarks
• Cost-cutting glaringly obvious in many areas
• Economy-grade interior quality & unconventional dashboard
• Missing equipment (climate control, height adjustable driver's seat etc.)
• Poor insulation. Engine, suspension & road noise are prominent

Chevrolet Beat

What you'll like:
• Funky styling inside & out. Unique superbike-inspired speedometer too
• Nippy city hatch character. Light, easy to drive and chuckable
• Excellent urban driveability from the diesel engine
• Compliant ride quality. No bumpiness like other tall-boy hatchbacks
• Well packaged interiors (for 4)

What you won't:
• Diesel motor lacks top-end punch. Not a sprightly highway performer at all
• Compact 170 liter boot. 50 - 60 liters smaller than competition
• Very dull dark-grey interior shade. No beige option yet
• Small rear window creates a claustrophobic ambience at the back

Nissan Micra

What you'll like:
• Styling is more neutral now. Feminine face left behind
• Quality, well-designed interiors
• Driver airbag standard across the range (including base variant)
• Diesel engine offers stunning driveability. Fuel efficient as well
• Compliant ride quality. Suspension tuned for comfort
• Gizmos : Keyless entry & go, engine start / stop button, electric folding mirrors, climate control

What you won't:
• Ordinary three-cylinder petrol engine. Dull to drive
• Inexistent under-thigh support from the rear seat
• Quirky design may not be to your taste
• Thin dealer network offers poor after-sales service

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2013 at 20:36. Reason: Correction. Micra diesel now available with ABS.
GTO is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:48   #9
BHPian

Great review GTO (as always). The details and images are just mind blowing. Keep it up. Another 5 Star rating thread. I am sure Grand i10 will be a hit.

Hyundai has packed almost every features that a car owner looking forward. Other manufactures must learn this aspect from Hyundai. They are literally pampering the owner.

Last edited by MaxTorque : 16th September 2013 at 13:10.
MaxTorque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:51   #10
BHPian

Great review. As always Hyundai come up with models that are game changers in the Indian market. It looks good and feels good (took a td) but the steering puts me off.

I think a few prospective buyers who are cost conscious will move to Hyundai with their cheques.
D'Artagnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:53   #11
MYB
BHPian

And finally a T-BHP review. Thanks GTO! Great review. Nice detailing and info. Pictures are breath-taking. They are so much better than anywhere else on the net. Giving a well deserved five star rating.

And yes, hopefully safety options are offered in the lower trims in the near future. Hopefully, Hyundai takes note of it.

Last edited by MYB : 16th September 2013 at 13:09. Reason: Adding more praise.
MYB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:06   #12
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review GTO!! The word "Grand" most people relate to is the Samsung Galaxy Grand - A phone that was bigger and better than the regular Samsung Galaxy. Hyundai did the same thing by introducing the Grand moniker for the i10. Its definitely bigger and better than the i10.

Coming to the car, isnt the Grand actually the replacement to the i10 in the international market? The Grand has been lauched internationally as the new i10 - which means in India, Hyundai will sell the regular i10 alongside the Grand. A good move by Hyundai - similar to what MUL has been doing all these years to capture a good share of the market. So the Grand will now compete with cars across 2 segments - the small and the large hatchback. Good move Hyundai!
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Super superb review! The car looks like a high quality product just by looking at the pictures. I am pretty sure its even better in person. Its amazing how Hyundai is able to price their cars keenly and yet able to maintain segment benchmark quality. The only fly in the ointment is the 1.1 liter diesel which is a tad too small for the car.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:31   #14
BHPian

Was just waiting for this review!! Superb mate!

I drove this car last week (both Petrol and Diesel) and found the Petrol model to be just too good in terms of responsiveness and smoothness.

Totally agree on the point of safety, Air Bags and ABS should be atleast given as an option on the Sportz version :(
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

Nice review

I sat in the display model in Chennai airport. I was amazed by the high quality interiors. If the dash was black, seat material more hard wearing and door thunked shut, it would make a good VW!

On a low note for a 6 footer, the front fixed headrest comes up to the nape of my neck meaning I could snap my neck. Rear seat had good legroom but poor thigh support for me. The disconnected battery meant I could not look in the boot.

I dont think VW globally need to be worried about toyota as much as they ought to worry about Hyundai/ Kia
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks