Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Other Cities
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 16:21   #1
BHPian

Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin

My friend and I were looking to get rid of some scratches on the bumpers of his car and also give it a good polish. We were driving towards Nippon Toyota to get a quote from the dealer when i spotted Mercury Cars. Its just past INTUC Jn.

This is a workshop that specializes in painting and accident work only.
To my surprise it was run by a middle aged lady, Not expecting much information from her (my stupid assumption) I asked the guys who were working on cars and they pointed to the office room and she greets us with a smile asking "how can we help?" although a bit doubtful about the place in the beginning i started telling her about what i wanted done, but once I spoke with her about car painting I got a pretty clear idea that she knows what shes talking about.

This shop has a good paint booth and its quite well tooled and a handful of painters and i have to say a very smart tinker (body worker). She took us in a showed us around the shop and I was surprised I missed this shop for so long as it started operations way back in 2000. There were quite a few cars here and all mostly luxury cars like an Audi A4, 2 old E class Mercs, a Volvo XC90 and 3 series Beemer, she told me that they had just delivered a Jag that morning to a client.

We then returned to the office and she gave us the quotation for 6500 for painting both front and rear bumper, full 3 stage polish, leather seat cleaning and conditioning. She also said that that included a full water service worth 450 for free. We didn't bargain and as when it crossed my mind to ask for a discount she said that if we left the car now and it will be ready by the next days evening. it was about 11 am so i asked her if she was sure, she simply smiled confidently. She asked if we needed any alternate transportation, we were like we'll get an auto she called someone in her phone and in about 3 minutes an Auto rickshaw arrived and we hopped in it and we were off.

The next day at about 4:30pm my friends called me and said he just received a call from Mercury and that the car would be ready at 6pm. So, I picked up my friend and his wife also joined us and we reached the shop and the car car was parked in front. I was surprised at first sight, it looked like they polished the car nicely and when we took a closer look at it everything looked spot on. While my friend and I were looking around the car the Lady came towards us with the keys and opened the car and asked us to check the seats and it was also cleaned and polished and smelt all new. She let us look around and waited in the office with my friend's wife. Both of us then went in the office and told her we were satisfied and were also surprised by the timing and finish and paid the bill. She told us that all her clients were continuing customers as they know about how prompt they are since day 1.
After checking everything she handed over a bag and said these items were in the car and when we looked in there was some loose 10 rupee notes and coins and one gold earring that belonged to my friends wife. She was all so happy that she got back her earring and we thanked the lady and drove off in our respective cars.

After that I have been taking my car and also recommend to all my friends to at least take the car there to let them look at it and get an opinion.

Address:
Mercury Cars
NH-47, Near INTUC, Nettoor,
Kochi
Contact person: Mrs. Rahmath Ph:9995839104.

Last edited by ajmat : 31st January 2013 at 09:25.
msaudf is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 08:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
After that I have been taking my car and also recommend to all my friends to at least take the car there to let them look at it and get an opinion.
Thank You for the elaborate note msaudf. Can you please post some photos of their work if possible?
Old 29th January 2013, 13:11   #3
BHPian

The work was done on my friend's car, and that too about 8 months back. I doubt his car is still as good as it come off the paint shop.

But, I've just given our Nano CX for bumper painting as it came with black bumpers, I'll post pics of its newly painted bumpers if that's alright.
Old 29th January 2013, 15:59   #4
BHPian

One of my friends got his marina painted at mercury He asked for a full color change from silver to a metallic red. it was done on December 2012. they only took around 15 days to finish this car.
Pictures of my nano coming soon. I'm going to pick it up this evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-p090113_16.44_02.jpg  

Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-p090113_16.44.jpg  

Last edited by msaudf : 29th January 2013 at 16:03.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 11:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Thank You for the elaborate note msaudf. Can you please post some photos of their work if possible?
here are some pictures of our nano that just had its bumpers painted. It was a non painted black one. They primed with with plastic primer and then painted the bumpers. I had them done for Rs.3500 including a full water service and painting the door frames matte black.
Attached Thumbnails
Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-p300113_09.10_03.jpg  

Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-p300113_09.11.jpg  

Last edited by msaudf : 30th January 2013 at 11:17.
msaudf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 11:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of my friends got his marina painted at mercury He asked for a full color change from silver to a metallic red...
Any idea on the charges?

Quote:
here are some pictures of our nano that just had its bumpers painted. It was a non painted black one. They primed with with plastic primer and then painted the bumpers. I had them done for Rs.3500 including a full water service and painting the door frames matte black.
Nice work. Would have TA$$ charged the same? Just trying to get a comparo. I guess it's almost par with A$$ costs, may be slightly expensive.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any idea on the charges?
He was charged Rs.32,000 for the job. The car was fully dismantled inside out.
A cheaper option was to just get the exposed silver parts painted for Rs.25,000 but he chose to go all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nice work. Would have TA$$ charged the same? Just trying to get a comparo. I guess it's almost par with A$$ costs, may be slightly expensive.
It exactly the same cost as the A$$ but the time scale was the difference. The A$$ asked for 3 days time but mercury took in the car on closing time on the 28th and had the job done at 6pm on he 29th, ie; It was done in a day's time compared to 3 by the A$$.

I'll be leaving the car with them to repair a dented fender and touch up some scratches on the doors of the nano. I'm sure this time their quote will be much lesser than that of the A$$. well lets hope and thanks for throwing some light on the similar pricing of the A$$ and these chaps as i'll surely ask around before i leave the car with anyone for the repair.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 23:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
here are some pictures of our nano that just had its bumpers painted.
Nice. Is that a spot on the rear bumper?
Old 31st January 2013, 02:03   #9
BHPian

Spot?? no, that's the cover for the slot to screw in the towing bolt.(i cant come up with a singular tech word or phrase)
now what could I tow with a nano?

Last edited by msaudf : 31st January 2013 at 02:05.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 08:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense! Nano is rear wheel drive.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:03   #11
BHPian

If I tow something heavy enough to raise my nano's front wheels off the road, how cool would that be??? ok a bit off topic there but just letting my imagination run wild.
Old 1st February 2013, 08:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

One more question on the topic msaudf. How is the repainted surface? Do you see dust under the clear coat? I mean small dots under the clear coat if you ran your palm over the painted surface?

Nowadays, colour matching by paint shops are guaranteed since they use a computer. But what they lack is dust prevention even inside the paint booth. How do you feel Mercury fare with this?

Quote:
If I tow something heavy enough to raise my nano's front wheels off the road, how cool would that be??? ok a bit off topic there but just letting my imagination run wild.
I think my earlier post was confusing. Cars are towed with their drive wheels off the ground. Since Nano is RWD, it makes sense to have the tow hooks at the rear. So that the Nano can be towed backwards with the rear wheels up if you cannot find a flat bed.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
One more question on the topic msaudf. How is the repainted surface? Do you see dust under the clear coat? I mean small dots under the clear coat if you ran your palm over the painted surface?
There is no such surface distortion or dots or pin holes on the surface, earlier on a different occasion when i asked them about dust in the paint booth they admitted that there are cases of dust as even though they are cleaned very thoroughly some dust stays on the tyres and other areas which limits cleaning.
Another reason I think could be is that the painters don't bother to wear special suits inside the paint booth (not sure if they're provided with one) but just blow pressurized air on their work wear and proceed into the booth for painting.

well they actually sand off a small layer of the clear/paint after the surface dries and buff the part for a seamless finish.

Quote:
I think my earlier post was confusing. Cars are towed with their drive wheels off the ground. Since Nano is RWD, it makes sense to have the tow hooks at the rear. So that the Nano can be towed backwards with the rear wheels up if you cannot find a flat bed.
I wasn't talking about the nano being towed but the nano itself towing something else. I know, a bit too adventurous there right?

And about the tow hooks in general its just my humble opinion, tow hooks at the rear don't necessarily mean they are present so that the car can be towed in reverse. Rear tow hooks are meant for the car to tow something and front tow hooks are meant for the car to be towed by another vehicle.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:44   #14
BANNED

Went for detailing the two cars in my family (Ritz + i20).

The owner lady is highly knowledgeable and professional.

The scratch removal is awesome.

Highly recommended and more VFM than http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...are-kochi.html

Rating: 5/5
mithun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 20:31   #15
BHPian

Just took delivery of my "new" 7 year old innova from Mercury Cars today. Let me try my best to contain my excitement and write a to the point review of this SUPERB workshop.

Prelude: Its been 7 years since we bought the Innova and haven't done much work to improve its visual appeal. I have also been to lazy to go to a workshop and get it done. However a wedding in the family forced me to look into this and do some workshop hunting. The usual workshop where we give our cars for painting just didn't impress me anymore, specially after joining T-BHP . So I decided to do some research and find a better place. Shortlisted a few places but finally zeroed in on two options: Mercury Cars and another place.
My requirements: The car should look new, simple. It had a crack in the front bumper which required welding and painting. Also had a dent below the door on the side, numerous deep scratches all around including the alloys, and not so good looking interiors.

First I went to the other workshop and met the manager there. He went around the car a couple of times, took a peep or 2 inside and quoted 37k and a delivery time of 10 days. I wasn't too impressed and asked him to rethink the cost and get back to me. He called the next day and said he would do the entire job for 36k and nothing less. Left the place feeling disappointed.

It was now when I went into Mercury Cars. This place doesn't have a very striking or modern appearance from the outside. I was also a bit apprehensive since this was the first time I'm going to a workshop without recommendation from any friends. Took my Innova inside, was greeted with a smile by Mrs. Rahmath. I told her my requirements. She said one minute.. went inside and came out with a pen and a paper. Then she went around the car looking at each and every scratch and made a note of them in the paper along with the cost to repair it on the side. I was standing there surprised! Went inside her cabin, she simply added the entire amount and it came upto 23k. I asked her about how long it would take and she said 4-5 days max. As of now I was still a bit scared to give my car but this looked like the best option and hence gave my car. She agreed to do the following:
Complete painting on the sides, Bumper welding, dent repair on the side. Underbody wash, teflon coating, engine wash, interior shampooing and cleaning, alloy wheel painting. And assured me the car would look like new when I came to take delivery.

Went there today to take delivery and to say I was impressed is an understatement. The car stood in the workshop spanking new like how she was when I bought her. Spic and Span with attention given to detail, everything I was told was done. Man, other workshop guys in Kochi could really take some training from Mrs. Rahmath. Things like answering the phone, calling back a customer when you don't answer a call and everything we normally expect but do not get, is the speciality of this place. All my cars have found a new workshop. And being currently in the service industry myself, I sure have learned a thing or two about customer service.

So anyone in Kochi looking for a workshop with transparent pricing, awesome customer service and commitment to schedules and work with attention to detail, look no further!

Very sorry but since this was an unexpected workshop visit I forgot to take pictures of the car before I gave it. Will take some pictures of the car tomorrow and post it.

Thanks for reading.
275BHP is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks