Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Other Cities
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:10   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trusted/Untrusted Petrol Pumps in Pune

^^^So that bunk is risky too! Couple of months ago I had a very similar experience with the HP hunk on Karve Road. RPM dropped and idling and starting bike became very difficult. Took several top ups from Shell and RTO bunks to bring things back to normal.

Now I'm wondering if they are using similar stuff to adulterate at both these bunks.

This is serious. Why don't you lodge a formal complaint with BP immediately? I could not do this as my bike use is erratic and it took me more than couple of days to figure out that petrol was the issue as I was checking out other things. By then I lost the receipt and forgot the date and time, which they will surely want to know.
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:16   #482
Senior - BHPian

Actually I do not have any proof of purchase. I just filled 250 bucks worth (which is more than what was required) and rode off.
My bike usage is mainly on weekends too and it is over 7yrs old, but as I said, such behaviour is rare from it.

And I used to think the HP bunk is the better one of the three on Karve Road! Wonder whom to trust now ?

Last edited by sajo : 23rd April 2012 at 17:17. Reason: Spelling
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:33   #483
Senior - BHPian

^^^As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I'v filled from that HP bunk many times in many years (but only small quantities in emergencies); and did not encounter such issues till that day. Maybe they don't adulterate on a regular basis. Or maybe the level of adulteration differs on different days... gawd knows.

I feel you could lodge a complaint even thought you didn't ask for a receipt and as long as you have the date and time with you. Sooner the better.

The only bunks I trust are the RTO bunk and Shell. Shell is not an option now due to price, and RTO is quite far for me. But whats the choice? Many have mentioned that Autolines on University Road is good. I'll be trying that one soon.
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:00   #484
BHPian

The bunk on Karve road is a NO GO! I filled there just once & my Elantra started giving white smoke on startup. The smoke almost smelled of kerosene! I had to retard my ignition timing to stock levels to prevent the knock sensors cutting in. I could'nt even overtake a bus without putting pedal to metal! I was unfortunate enough to have filled my tank to the brim. Over several days i added some 1.2 litres of acetone & only then she started behaving normally.
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:43   #485
Senior - BHPian

^^^You mean the HP bunk, right? You didn't lodge a complaint with HP??

Now I feel like going there and filling up just so that I can lodge a complaint and follow it up. But the thought of that stuff in my vehicles stops me...

Guys, no of us ranting about this here. The least we can do is lodge a complaint.
Old 23rd April 2012, 19:03   #486
BHPian

I was too busy being worried about my engines health & looking up remedies than to be complaning. I feel it is just a waste of time & energy. I mean the magnitude of adulteration & consequent monetary gains is so high that it is all permeating. Call me pessimistic but i believe more in 'better to be safe than sorry'.
Old 24th April 2012, 02:54   #487
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, the least we can do is to do our bit! Else no use ranting here, is it? And do you need a lot of time in lodging an online complaint?? Though, I was in the same state you were trying to figure out what went wrong. But now we know better. I wonder how much damage it has done to the engine. The thought of it makes me smoke...
Old 24th April 2012, 06:06   #488
BHPian

I wish someone would sell some kind of 'fuel quality kit', something like litmus paper. He would be a millionaire!
Old 24th April 2012, 09:26   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
I wish someone would sell some kind of 'fuel quality kit', something like litmus paper. He would be a millionaire!
Quoting from the following article: The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : A simple test to check petrol quality

"After a demonstration was given to test the purity of petrol and diesel at Margadarsi Service Centre, Secunderabad, she said that one simple test for purity was two drops of petrol when put on a filter paper should evaporate without leaving a patch or stain."

From the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas site:

Checks for Petrol : Filter Paper Test
  1. Clean the mouth of the nozzle to remove stains.
  2. Put a drop of petrol on the filter paper from the nozzle
  3. It should evaporate in about 2 minutes without leaving a stain on the filter paper. (If the area of the filter paper where the drop of MS was put, remains pinkish, it is the colour of the MS and not any stain)
  4. If a stain is left on the filter paper, then there is a possibility of adulteration.
Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th April 2012 at 09:27.
comfortablynumb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 02:11   #490
Senior - BHPian

That would check for only one kind of adulteration.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:03   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Checks for Petrol : Filter Paper Test
This would take about 5 mins for the testing to be done. Not to include the arguments with the pump guy for allowing to do the test.

As a consumer can we demand that we want to do this test before filling up??
Old 25th April 2012, 10:21   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
This would take about 5 mins for the testing to be done. Not to include the arguments with the pump guy for allowing to do the test.

As a consumer can we demand that we want to do this test before filling up??
Yes, it makes sense to do the testing before filling up only.

Also, if a pump owner is reluctant to let you test or argues about it, that fact itself should tell you all you need to know, i.e. the fuel is adulterated. In such a scenario, why waste time in arguments? Just start your vehicle and head to another pump.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th April 2012 at 10:24.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:27   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Just start your vehicle and head to another pump.

Cheers,
Vikram
Yup that is true but at this rate i would end up not filling at any of the pumps.

My experience has been that Shell is best but it has become way too expensive and HP pump in Hinjewadi seems to be next best option.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:47   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
My experience has been that Shell is best but it has become way too expensive and HP pump in Hinjewadi seems to be next best option.
Well, I don't know where you stay/work, but there are several pumps where I fill/have filled petrol and diesel regularly, without any unwanted side effects [touchwood!]. They are Autolines HP, RTO BP, BP pump opposite Wadia College, Navi Peth BP, Kulkarni Petrol Pump, Dnyaneshwar Paduka Chowk BP, H'wadi Phase 2 BP, Gogte Pump BP [opp. Ranka on Karve rd], Pranav Service Station IOC [on Sinhgad Rd].

Disclaimer: I am not in any way recommending these outlets - I have not had a bad experience with these pumps, but there may be others who have a contrary opinion. So please do your due diligence before frequenting any of them!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th April 2012 at 10:48.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 12:53   #495
BHPian

After hearing about the diesel "issue" with the Shell pump at Hinjewadi, I am a reluctant to fill up there now (have done full tanks twice before & not faced an issue).
This Saturday i will be on my way to Goa through Pune & if i were to fill up at Hinjewadi is the HP pump opposite Fortune Hotel better or the pump next to McDonalds & Mezza 9 better (don't know the brand).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks