Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Other Cities

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 21:54   #286
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Trusted/Untrusted Petrol Pumps in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You know what they say: "Trust in God but lock your car". Same goes for petrol pumps in Pune, it seems!
Very true. Trustworthy petrol pump/bunk is an oxymoron. Was there ever a time when one could trust petrol pumps/bunks?

Quote:
Just like the logo-stealing spree
OT: Any idea hows the spree these days. Seems like it is dying down.
Old 5th May 2011, 21:55   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
But honestly the IOC bunk where i have been filling for last 10 years i have never had issues with quality/quantity except one funny incident where the new attendant asked me for the pin of my maestro card for him to swipe the card
Well actually Most MAestro cards are usually debit cards and require The PIN to be input into the machine for the transaction to be authorized, Thats most probably why you were asked for the PIN.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:25   #288
BHPian

Quote:
BP in HJW turned out just like most others but not really surprised.
Sir I guess it would be too early to place that pump in the same category , though it just might go the cheating way in a shortwhile considering the easy prey customers (IT folks) who are always in a hurry for GOD knows what . I have literally seen people (IT guys) who prefer getting their rides fuelled sitting inside their cozy car seats , looking at me with disgrace when I get down before fuelling as if I did a blunder , least to say I am unmoved and still stick my way of ensuring I get what I am paying for

OT : There was a guy who literally asked me rather taunted me @ HP Autolines, " Why you had to get down before fuelling ,you could have handed over the card to the attendant from inside only " I didn't felt like replying to the dude told him I was feeling ITCHY inside the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Very true. Trustworthy petrol pump/bunk is an oxymoron. Was there ever a time when one could trust petrol pumps/bunks?
We still trust HP Autolines , with ZERO instance reported of cheating/ bad fuel till date . Anybody ??
Old 6th May 2011, 12:10   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Gonna tank up the Xylo today. Will keep an eye open for fishy business.
Well, nothing hanky panky observed. Though I must say I was itching for them to attempt their stuff. Also, one of the attendants has started recognizing me since I have some casual conversation once the filling is started. Maybe, and just maybe, they don't try their stunts with regular customers.

p.s. They have some kind of a lucky draw scheme by filling up more than Rs X. I've never won anything ever in such lotteries, but then who knows? There's always a first time!
Old 6th May 2011, 13:49   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OT: Any idea hows the spree these days. Seems like it is dying down.
Dot, i guess the spree is dying down cuz owners (self included) have stopped giving a rats a.s.s about it. Since no one is getting the logos fixed, these incompetant souls have nothing to steal!

Quote:
. Also, one of the attendants has started recognizing me since I have some casual conversation once the filling is started. Maybe, and just maybe, they don't try their stunts with regular customers.

p.s. They have some kind of a lucky draw scheme by filling up more than Rs X. I've never won anything ever in such lotteries, but then who knows? There's always a first time!
MMXylo: True, even i've been filling at that bunk and now most guys do recognize me there. Probably, (big assumption here) they would not want to mess around with a regular.

About the lucky draw thingy, even I've been told about it by the chief attendant at the pump. Hmm, one day, I shall win something. Probably free diesel worth Rs. 2 .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 13:49   #291
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post

considering the easy prey customers (IT folks) who are always in a hurry for GOD knows what .
True, really whats the big hurry. Then suffer also.

Today morning I filled up Scorponok (Civic) at my favorite IOC bunk in Mundhwa when I realised one more delaying tactic I employ frequently that I have not mentioned here so far.

I dont unlock the lid.

So the guy is standing with the dispenser and looking at my face while I am looking back.
Then he says "Sir this is not open"

I say, " Oh, sorry forgot!!".

Then I come back, open the door, pop the lever and go back to the fellow. By this time, the zero is already steady. And I dont miss any of the initial tricks that they love to play.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:24   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Well actually Most MAestro cards are usually debit cards and require The PIN to be input into the machine for the transaction to be authorized, Thats most probably why you were asked for the PIN.
Yup, thats true but that is what makes it funny...if i start sharing the PIN, how does it remain secure coz he is entering it on my behalf which negates the whole purpose of having a security PIN, its like sharing the CVV on our credit card
Old 6th May 2011, 17:56   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it does work I guess. One of my colleagues won a return trip to NYC in a Subway restaurant in Paris. She didnt even buy anything, was just whiling away time when the rest of the group were ordering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
About the lucky draw thingy, even I've been told about it by the chief attendant at the pump. Hmm, one day, I shall win something. Probably free diesel worth Rs. 2 .
Jaldi jeeto bhaiyya, kuch dino mein 2 rupaye ka diesel inkfiller se bharna padega

Quote:
Today morning I filled up Scorponok (Civic) at my favorite IOC bunk in Mundhwa when I realised one more delaying tactic I employ frequently that I have not mentioned here so far.
I dont unlock the lid.
So the guy is standing with the dispenser and looking at my face while I am looking back.
Aah, such a pleasant reminder about the times that we did this regularly while filling up our bikes (petrol 20 bucks a liter then)
Old 6th May 2011, 21:00   #294
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Aah, such a pleasant reminder about the times that we did this regularly while filling up our bikes (petrol 20 bucks a liter then)
Pray, tell, whats preventing you from doing this nowadays.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:18   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pray, tell, whats preventing you from doing this nowadays.
Nothing does, I still do the same. Just that it was more pleasant doing that when I filled petrol for 15 bucks and had only 20 in my pocket (than filling up for 300 and having a couple of thousand now).

Also bike riding is so much more a chore these days in the city
Maybe I am getting old
Old 7th May 2011, 15:04   #296
BHPian

Most have mentioned here about Autolines (Near the Agriculture College Flyover) and RTO BP COCO. No complaints. Both are rated excellent in my book and I almost never tank up other than these pumps. Another pump I have come to trust is the one after BP one oposite Atlas Copco/ Forbes Marshall on the road between Nashik phata and dapodi.

I will like to share an incident that happened at the IBP Yerwada Pump. My car was very low on fuel (due to my stupidity :( ) and I decided to put in 300 bucks worth and then tank up at RTO/ Autolines.

There was this huge queue there. Took almost 15 mins to even get to the bunk. Then, they asked me to move the car so far ahead that I couldnt see the meter from where I was sitting. I am in the habit of getting down from the car while refuelling, but I think they sensed that and my driver side door was blocked by moving a rickshaw ahead.

As soon as I opened the fuel filler and saw the guy remove the cap, I realized this. To delay, I called him and said, " arre 300 ka nahi 200 ka bharo." Then I quickly reclined the seat so, I was basically lying down to see the pump meter.

Another attendant came to the window and was trying to make me look the other way with questions like, 'Oil pahije ka' - as if I was gonna do an oil change! I flagged him off without looking and was constantly looking at the meter. After 30 seconds, the guy realised he could not fool me and fillled anyway. When I was paying him, I could hear him clearly cursing me under his breath. But hey...it is my money isn't it.

Another tip I will like to give everyone is - If you dont trust the pump and just need fuel in an emergency, dont tank up, get enough to last till you can drive to your regular pump. Make an effort to get him to reset the pump atleast twice (ask for different amount of fuel) but be quicker than they are.

A thumb rule - Ask for a fuel quantity less than what the meter is set at for the previous fill. If you look at the meter and it says 300, say fill for 200 (This should be generally enough to get you to a better pump). If it is 100 bucks, use the two amount tactic. Say 500 then, wait till he 'sets the pump' and quickly say - Oh sorry, just have 200-300".
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 22:28   #297
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night, most petrol pumps in Hinjewadi were shut due to the owners wanting to make a quick (and unethical!) buck after the impending fuel hike.
Never seen a shell pump so crowded as it was yesterday. For around 95% of my visits, I have been pretty much the sole customer otherwise.
One good thing though that after a six rupee hike (61+6) , it will bring the difference between Shell and normal fuel to half, and maybe I will feel less guilty about going for it..
Old 12th May 2011, 08:31   #298
Senior - BHPian

@Sajo - Totally agree with you on both the points. Normally there are max 2 cars and 1 bike at the Shell Pump. We get total personal attention and there is no scope for playing any games. Some solace considering the expensive fuel.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:14   #299
Senior - BHPian

@Ojas and Amit: Wouldnt the impending fuel hike affect prices of Shell fuel too? If normal fuel is supposed to go up by Rs. 6, then Shell would also go up. Right?
Old 12th May 2011, 12:00   #300
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Ojas and Amit: Wouldnt the impending fuel hike affect prices of Shell fuel too? If normal fuel is supposed to go up by Rs. 6, then Shell would also go up. Right?
Certainly Shell will increase prices, and they can increase more than 6 bucks. Someone mentioned that unless Shell sells petrol at Rs75, they wont make any profit.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed