Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Other Cities

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2006, 00:49   #16
BHPian

Thanx Moral.. But knowing the owner of the pump i knew from day one it was crap...
Anyways no point taking namess..
Cheers
Old 31st March 2006, 07:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Yeah and we got a few calls when we tried to protest against bad fuel.

Well this is a nice read --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Published in the Maharashtra Herald, 25 Jan'06

WHY SHOULD WE GET BUTTERMILK WHEN WE PAY FOR MILK?

38 out of the 68 filling stations surveyed at random by the Maharashtra Herald in its investigative report, (results of which were published in a front-page report on 24th of January'06) showed a difference in density of over 0.0030. This number includes those who, for obvious reasons, refused to submit themselves to this most important and simple of tests that the filling stations and oil companies are supposed to carry out multiple times in a day, and record as well, with customer participation. More importantly, the oil companies as well as the retail outlets are supposed to simply stop selling fuel which does not meet the density specifications.

As a matter of fact, a retail outlet which is caught short-selling or stocking substandard or adulterated fuel more than twice in a year is supposed to lose its licence and permit to operate right away. That is the law, there are circulars out on the subject, and that is what the oil companies are supposed to enforce. This sort of variation in density represents the kind of problem that the late Manjunath faced in far away rural, backward, Lakhimpur Kheri, which he tried to stop, and for which he paid with his life.

That we live with it on a daily basis in urbane, upmarket Pune is like a slap in the face of our city and its reputation. That the young reporters from Maharashtra Herald who went out on the streets to carry out this investigative had to do the job that the oil companies are supposed to do, in the face of angry resistance from the staff and management at the filling stations, is symptomatic of how hollow the sympathy displayed by some of Manjunath's colleagues really is.

Shame on them, the officials from IOC, HPCL, BPCL, responsible for this state of affairs in Pune. If this is the case with automobile fuel, can we even begin to imagine what they would try with aviation fuel, if given a chance? Given the sensitivity of Pune's Air Force, can we even begin to think of the consequences? Many of them - from the oil industry - are my friends, have read this report, and have called me up to tell me how ashamed they are of their colleagues in Pune.

That is enough proof, if any was required, that there is something indeed very very wrong with the way the senior management in the oil companies handle issues pertaining to the quantity and quality of fuel supplied at retail outlets in Pune, and areas nearby. Technology has found a way to get around the stain test on blotting paper, by the simple method of adding chemicals which "cut" the colour dyes added. Master measures are regularly tampered with, by thumping them at the bottom or interfering with the shape of the canister. But density of fuel is one sure method which the rascals have not figured out how to beat, as yet.

And on that, over 50% of Pune's finest have been found short. Including some of the most prominent and well reputed outlets.

The question the oil companies need to answer to us, at as public a forum as they can muster, is why didn't they catch this? Were they sleeping or are they part of the racket? It has to be one of the two, if past experience is any indicator.

+++

About a decade ago, I was a small part of a similar movement against short supply and adulterated fuel in Delhi. With a regular column in the Hindustan Times and a motoring show twice a week on Good Morning India (over DoorDarshan, Star TV and subsequently on NDTV), I was able to participate as well as observe the problem as well as holistic solutions.

The big ticket issues here were and still are:-

a) Value for money, we need to get what we pay for as far as fuel is concerned. (Short term visible direct loss)
b) Damage to vehicle's engine and costs therein. (Mid term not so visible loss)
c) Damage to environment. (Long term and almost ir-repairable, total loss)

In Delhi, we were lucky to get support from the Supreme Court and also from others, especially the senior fraternity within the political and civil servant establishment, on the long-term issue, viz: the damage to the environment. That eliminated the hooliganism and lower end political and smalltime "babu" interference which trying to fix the short term issue generates. Here in Pune itself I have been threatened by "social workers" claiming allegiance to political parties as well as senior managers of oil companies. Nothing new, I faced it in Delhi too.

Because the solution was more important. And the solution was simple - the rapid and decisive introduction of CNG for bulk users and public transport cut the adulteration opportunities where it was needed the most. You see, CNG can not be adulterated, and as a direct result we have blue skies again in Delhi while Pune is going grey. I drive in Pune as much as I drive in Delhi, and I have not seen fumes spewing out of the back of motor vehicles in Delhi lately. Can we say that about Pune?

Interestingly, the maximum opposition to the introduction of CNG came from the oil companies themselves, specifically HPCL, which was initially tasked with the responsibility in Delhi. And this gives a good idea of why the oil companies, especially the same HPCL, themselves are guilty of delaying the introduction of CNG in Pune, because that will spoil the game of adulteration of liquid fuels in Pune.

No amount of spending vast sums of money on better refining techniques, lower sulphur, removal of lead and upgrades in engine technology are of any use if the fuel sold at the retail outlet itself is adulterated. (Here it needs be mentioned that fuel at bulk outlets, used by government transport, is even worse, because those filling stations are usually not open to any sort of public scrutiny. And it is an open secret that much of that already adulterated fuel is what finds its way into the grey market, where it is further adulterated before it finds its way into the fuel tanks of those who would buy such "grey market" fuel).

Pune needs better fuel, both liquid as well as gas, and the oil companies need to answer now as to why they are not providing us with it. Will we also have to wait for the Courts to step in and take suo-moto notice?

+++
Old 31st March 2006, 12:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
Thanx Moral.. But knowing the owner of the pump i knew from day one it was crap...
I know what you mean.
Old 5th April 2006, 19:22   #19
BHPian

Bad experience at the HP pump!

One of the pune petrol pumps i want to warn the puneites on the forum is the HP one on JM road adjacent to the RBK showroom.

Here's my experience.........

One afternoon a couple o' months ago, when i was running around looking for an upholstery guy for my seats my car went dry opposite Pizza Hut on JM road and the HP pump is across the road, so i didn't bother calling the Autopal on road service, I simply picked up the pepsi bottle from the boot that is kept for emergencies, like the one i had at hand, and walked across the road to get a litre to fire my baby up. Now i've been in this situation like a million times before in different cities an also in the other areas of pune and never had a problem gettin gas pumped into a bottle!!!

The pump attendant looked at my face, thought a little and told me to ask his boss who was sitting at his desk in the shop, quite shocked at the procedure i oblige and go to get permission from the 'boss', he camly tells me that he's not gonna sell gas to me in a bottle, it was the stupidest thing i'd heard in a long time and i almost lost it, i explained to him very slowly in hindi and with lots of gestures, that my car had gone dry and it needed petrol and that there was no way i was gonna push it around the u-turn to get her filled!
After about 2 minutes of me making a noise at the pump, he tells one of the attendant to sell me the petrol, while the guy's filling the bottle he's warning me never to come to their pump with a bottle again........ I need the fuel at the moment so i ignore him, take my gas and leave!

The obvious defensiveness of the pump attendants and the pump manager to sell me petrol in a bottle leads me to believe that the fuel they sell is definately adultered! The only reason i used the fuel was because i needed it, however i've never fuelled there again or never will!!!

So the guys who live in that area, think twice before fuelling there!!!!
Edmund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2006, 19:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Now why would they do that? Is there a law against selling loose petrol?
Old 5th April 2006, 20:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

That is a weird incident Edmund.
I am not sure but I think selling petrol in bottle is not allowed.
So that might be one reason.

For all members going toward Pirangut area, the first pump coming after Chandani Chowk is not good as I have bad experience with fuel there. The second one just before Pirangut Ghat is accecptable.
Old 5th April 2006, 20:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Edmund, as I understand, loose sell of Petrol is prohibited by law. They are not supposed to be selling loose petrol in bottles or cans (I guess, since it is hazardous).

Adya33, avoid all the petrol pumps in Chandani Chawk. If it comes to it, push /tow your car instead of filling up there. (Just a little exaggeration )
Old 5th April 2006, 20:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Adya33, avoid all the petrol pumps in Chandani Chawk. If it comes to it, push /tow your car instead of filling up there. (Just a little exaggeration )
Yeah agree to it, unfortunetly learned it the hard way. :(
Old 6th April 2006, 18:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
Ive been filling speed from the pump opposite RTO, at the end of the bridge comming from COEP.
I never felt the fuel was bad

True, I have always filled even my Pulsar 180 DTSI from there and have
always got averages of 50 KMPL. If a P180 can give that avg regularly
then definately the fuel has to be of good quality.
Old 12th March 2007, 11:22   #25
k36
BHPian

Are there any Reliance petrol pumps in the city? I've seen one in Saswad and one on Satara road (about 30km from Pune), but none in the city.
Old 12th March 2007, 11:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36 View Post
Are there any Reliance petrol pumps in the city? I've seen one in Saswad and one on Satara road (about 30km from Pune), but none in the city.
There is one going to start/started near Pirangut.
About three weeks ago when I was passing there work was almost finished.
It is after Manas lake about 2 to 3 km.
Do let us know if it has started operations.
Old 12th March 2007, 15:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Karve Road Fuel Pump

The First one on Karve Road Fuel Pump opp Ranka has crooks
hired. I do not mind taking a print out of this list and showing them or even handing it over to the manager. The one Near the Shivaji Statue
is worse. Dude kept me waiting for 10 mins for 9 bucks change.
This he did coz i continnously kept my eyes on the meter
and kept answering his ever so important questions whilst looking at
the meter. So i guess that was some kind of "Badla".

Anyway i asked him to feed his children with those 9 bucks and left.

Yes the one opp the RTO is fabulous. You also can get a wind shield
wipe there. Not to mention the honest policies.
Enough said about the ones near Chandni Chowk.
I have seen lot of collor catching at the one in Wakdewadi in line with
the Bajaj Showroom , a few 100 meters away. Mobbing and asking
lame questions is a tactic there. Never filled at JM Rd so don't know.

Guys i am seriously thinking of a printout. Is this permitted ? Mods??
So as to let the dudes know what the educated class think of their
outlets. Also this could mean it would go in the hands of the press.
Old 12th March 2007, 15:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Last night, I noticed IOC C.O.C.O. pump near "Maldhakka" A.K.A "Juna Gadital"
between RTO and Pune station. It should be good too.

I read that Shell is opening its first pump on Mulshi road too. Don't know location though.

Adya33, is it possible for you to compile the list of all good and bad petrol pumps, back in the first post, using moderator privileges?
Old 12th March 2007, 16:02   #29
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
The Bharat Petroleum pump in Wanowrie has good service and i either tank up from there or the BP factory run pump by the RTO at the end of the LeMeridien road.
I can second the pump in Wanowrie (Kedari service station?). I fill up Speed in that bunk every Friday before leaving for Mumbai. I don't know if these fellows cheat on quantity, but I have found my car to perform well after filling up there. Sometimes after filling up at a different BP bunk on Bibewadi road, I found my car's pick-up to be less than normal, so I don't go there anymore. In Mumbai I trust the BP bunk near King's Circle Garden in Matunga.

Last edited by rks : 12th March 2007 at 16:07.
Old 12th March 2007, 19:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

How is the new pump in Kothrud? Opposite McDonalds?

Most Viewed