Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Other Cities

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 12:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Service, Repair & Body Work : Alok Automobiles (Kolkata)

Services offerred :
  • Servicing and repair of all vehicles
  • Bodywork, tinkering and Painting
  • Can arrange spare parts with minimal idle time
  • Have two facilities: a) Hyundai Cars (HASS) and b) Others
  • Service back up team of a group of Rally Cars in Kolkata - Body work / roll cage / engine work etc.
  • Have seen a Mitsubishi Evolution VI at his work shop. Also other modded cars including razor4077's Lancer / shuvd's stage 2 peted octy.
What I like:
  • Immense knowledge of all cars. Have seen and met customers who have been coming to the owner Suman da / Alok Uncle since decades.
  • Down to earth, sincere team and honest.
  • Works with the customers to identify root causes of issues and tries his best to solve them
  • Have been visiting him for over a year now and have never been disappointed
What I don't like:
  • Prior appointment is required since volume of cars at the facility is huge at times, except in emergency situations.
Pricing: Depends on the type of work done.

Speciality / USP: Builds an immediate rapport with the car owner and tries to understand the crux of the issue. Amount spent on understanding the issue is laudable. Always insists on a test drive before and after problem fixing to understand if the solution is having its effect or not. Very honest and quite knowledgable on all cars.

What I have used his services for : Servicing, Suspension work, Electrical works, etc.

Contact Information

- Name of the contact person: Sheikh Sazid Ali (Suman da) & Alok Uncle (Suman da's father)
- Phone numbers: 033-23439730 / 32917516 / 40048051
- Mobile (Suman da) - 98300-78617 (Monday to Saturday / 9.00AM to 6.30PM)

- Address: 9/2 Topsia Road (South)
By-pass connector
Kolkata 700046

Last edited by planet_rocker : 28th June 2010 at 12:39.
planet_rocker is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2010, 22:49   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Services offerred :
  • Servicing and repair of all vehicles
  • Bodywork, tinkering and Painting
  • Can arrange spare parts with minimal idle time
  • Have two facilities: a) Hyundai Cars (HASS) and b) Others
  • Service back up team of a group of Rally Cars in Kolkata - Body work / roll cage / engine work etc.
  • Have seen a Mitsubishi Evolution VI at his work shop. Also other modded cars including razor4077's Lancer / shuvd's stage 2 peted octy.
What I like:
  • Immense knowledge of all cars. Have seen and met customers who have been coming to the owner Suman da / Alok Uncle since decades.
  • Down to earth, sincere team and honest.
  • Works with the customers to identify root causes of issues and tries his best to solve them
  • Have been visiting him for over a year now and have never been disappointed
What I don't like:
  • Prior appointment is required since volume of cars at the facility is huge at times, except in emergency situations.
Pricing: Depends on the type of work done.

Speciality / USP: Builds an immediate rapport with the car owner and tries to understand the crux of the issue. Amount spent on understanding the issue is laudable. Always insists on a test drive before and after problem fixing to understand if the solution is having its effect or not. Very honest and quite knowledgable on all cars.

What I have used his services for : Servicing, Suspension work, Electrical works, etc.

Contact Information

- Name of the contact person: Sheikh Sazid Ali (Suman da) & Alok Uncle (Suman da's father)
- Phone numbers: 033-23439730 / 32917516 / 40048051
- Mobile (Suman da) - 98300-78617 (Monday to Saturday / 9.00AM to 6.30PM)

- Address: 9/2 Topsia Road (South)
By-pass connector
Kolkata 700046
My father has been going there for ages now. I would definitely say that they are probably the best in Kolkata. Alok uncle was the one who had revived my father's second-hand fiat, and had restored it so well that my father had received lot of applause for the car. Charges are much lower than other authorised dealers [+they are authorised dealers for hyundai motors if i am not mistaken.]Bilieve it or not, he had been able to fix a cracked bumper on my fathers swift.

Only thing is that i wished they shop was on the road.
scuderiamania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 12:28   #3
BHPian

Does he service Scorpio .

Chhers
Old 13th July 2010, 13:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
Does he service Scorpio .

Chhers
To the best of my knowledge he does service all cars, including scorpios. But I would suggest you contact him before you go there.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Like Scuderiamania mentioned - A.A takes care of all cars - but do call them in advance. I have seen a Scorpio there - though not sure if it came for service.

Suman da is aware of Team BHP - though he is not a member yet.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

i was at Alok Automobiles the other day for a couple of issues with the Getz:

1. Rain water leaking inside the cabin - Solved by cleaning the drain holes clogged with leaves.

2. Weird sound from LHS Rear Brake Drum - Solved by cleaning the drum and minor adjustment IIRC

3. Water Service - since the Getz is daily driven by Dad / Brother - she is prone to mud / dirt. Water Service was not required - got it done as adviced by Dad.

One pic of the Getz near the water service bay. The other premise is not in the pic.

Service, Repair & Body Work : Alok Automobiles (Kolkata)-photo0008.jpg

Suman Da will not be available till 10th August - since being a part of Service Back-up Team of 4 Rally cars from Kolkata for the INRC @ Coimbatore - he has left with the team.

Alok Uncle will be available at the Workshop.

Take care and drive safe.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 27th July 2010 at 16:32.
Old 27th July 2010, 17:58   #7
BHPian

I had visited him once end of 2008 for suspension work on the lancer, though it did not materialise with him as he was fairly tight on his schedule and so was I, the initial impression was highly positive.

Planet, would you know if he does these half cabins with roll cage for Gypsy's?

Thanks

Quote:
Services offerred :
Old 27th July 2010, 18:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think they should be able to do it - but it will be better if you can ask him in person. Speak to Suman da directly.

Off-Topic: Lovely Thumpys @ Col. Biswas Road - Spotted your i20 & Lancer there.
Old 10th August 2010, 13:33   #9
BHPian

I had spoken to them,
they say they don't service
Scorpio.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Decades ago, Alok's father (Babu Jaan IIRC??) had his workshop in one of the lanes next to Lady Brabourne College. He was supposed to be a wizard with Fiats. A lot of people used to swear by them although we used Punjab Garage (Titu) & then Electrical Enterprises (Bampu).

This is the third generation carrying on business on the same lines & its nice to know that the continuity has remained.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Suman da (Sumantra Da) - the garage has shifted from the by-lane of Lady Brabune College to Maruti Bagan (E.M.ByPass) long time back.

The Padmini used to go to Alok uncle's workshop when i was young. Dad stopped visiting him after he shifted. but...

one fine day (lets say after 15-18 years) Dad comes face to face to Alok uncle, when dad went there with the Getz / 3rd Free Service, they were delighted to see each other. So even after such a long time when he recognized dad, it really spoke of the relation he used to maintain / still maintains with his customers. Suman da is no different.

The waiting lounge has couple of pics of Alok uncle with Mr. Niaz Ali and Mr. Arindam Ghosh. Heard that those days were fun.

Sorry for going a bit
Old 5th October 2010, 13:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

List of Modded Cars spotted over time at Alok Automobiles:

1. razor4077's ex-lancer / Phoenix
2. Shuvd's Stage II Peted Octy
3. Mitsubishi Evolution VI (tme)
4. Turbo Charged Baleno
5. Rally prepared Esteems / modded Baleno

Work done on Fiat Palios:

1. My Palio 1.6 GTX - recent work done > timing / aux belts change / silencer repair
2. My friend's 1.6 GTX - alternator repair & suspension work.

Suman da keeps following up on every work done - that is what i like the most.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Water Service - since the Getz is daily driven by Dad / Brother - she is prone to mud / dirt. Water Service was not required - got it done as adviced by Dad.
What is water service?
Old 14th November 2010, 11:04   #14
BHPian

Hi planet_rocker,

I have a Getz 1.1 (about 3 year old). This car has been mostly used within our locality (Salt Lake) and in 3 years has run only about 10K kms. I have been thinking about switching to synthetic engine oil. Now do you recommend it and which oil?

The reason I am asking the question in this thread is that I am also looking for a reliable service place for my Getz (not very happy with the guys at Bengal Hyundai's Baghmari service centre, nearest to my place). I know this is a very trivial job, but lots of guys do not do it right unless you stand right there. I need somebody trustworthy.

Do the guys at Alok Automobile keep synthetic oil or I have to get it from somewhere else?

Regards.
Old 14th November 2010, 12:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Suman da's garage (Alok Automoboiles) is one of the best garages in Calcutta. I have seldom seen such an amicable person. I used to get my Baleno serviced from his garage.

Most Viewed