Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 21st November 2019, 16:46   #196
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Mechanical Empathy | Preserving the Car While Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneesao View Post
Hello everyone!

This one is definitely one of those old but still gold threads.

I had one question which has been bugging me. I have seen many drivers and technicians say that you shouldn't start up the car and immediately put it in reverse. They advise putting it in 1st, and driving 6 inches forward before putting it in reverse and backing it up. I can't think of any technical reason for this. Anyone?

Happy motoring,
Anees
They do it as they believe your first move should always be 'forward' and not 'backwards'. I got this answer from someone who had a habit of doing this. Don't remember the person though but i still remember what he said.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 17:12   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
They do it as they believe your first move should always be 'forward' and not 'backwards'. I got this answer from someone who had a habit of doing this. Don't remember the person though but i still remember what he said.
I kinda suspected this is more superstition than technical. Considering I haven't received any technical reasons in the past 2-3 days, I am going to assume that that is the case! Thanks!
Old 21st November 2019, 18:12   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneesao View Post
I have seen many drivers and technicians say that you shouldn't start up the car and immediately put it in reverse. They advise putting it in 1st, and driving 6 inches forward before putting it in reverse and backing it up. I can't think of any technical reason for this. Anyone?
Only applicable to manual gearboxes, since reverse gear in most (all?) 'boxes isn't synchromesh. Slot into first before slotting into reverse (you don't need to move the car at all), and you'll find the reverse gear engages more easily than if you started the car in neutral and immediately tried to engage reverse gear.

The 'driving 6 inches forward' bit may be related to some kind of spiritual way of convincing learners that it's a necessary procedure - maybe something to do with 'always move forward, don't start your day in reverse'.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st November 2019 at 18:15.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:29   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Superstition may have been encouraged by mechanics so that people follow the procedure.
Most gear boxes do not usually have oil pumps, and oil circulation is better during forward motion. A few feet of forward motion means your top shaft has thrown up the required oil, all wheels are wet with oil and lubricated, while reversing the oil thrown up will be far less, and the gears in the front will remain dry.

This is not applicable to the current day gearboxes.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed