Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:22   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

‘Face Wash and Go’ initiative to prevent road mishaps on Guntur highways

‘Face Wash and Go’ initiative to prevent road mishaps on Guntur highways:

This is a innovative idea by Guntur police to prevent accidents, especially between 1AM - 4:30 AM.Here is the complete news,
Source: New Indian Express

Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving-face.jpg

Quote:
As part of measures to prevent road accidents on highways, the Police Department has come up with another new initiative. It is implementing ‘Face Wash and Go’ programme on national and State highways in the district from 1 to 4:30 am. The police already launched a Road Safety Project mobile app, which will send safety alerts to motorists at accident-prone zones.

According to available data, about 2 lakh people are losing their lives in road mishaps in the country every year. On an average two to five road accidents occur on the 74 km highway that passes through Guntur district from Tadepalli to Chilakaluripet.

As part of the Face Wash and Go programme, the police will stop vehicles at designated places on the highways and ask drivers to wash their faces.
The vehicle drivers will be allowed to go after having a cup of tea. The police stations located in the purview of NAM Expressway and NH 16 are implementing the programme. The police will also offer advice to drivers urging them to take care of themselves and think of their family members while driving and avoid accidents.

According to the police, the Face Wash and Go initiative has evoked a good response from vehicle drivers. The number of road accidents on the highways has also come down. The aim of the Road Safety Project is that police should be the first to reach the accident spot to take relief measures. The number of fatalities could be reduced if the injured were shifted to hospital within Golden Hour.

DSP and Nodal Officer of the programme M Kamalakar Rao said adequate police personnel were deployed on the highways for effective implementation of ‘Face Wash and Go’ during the small hours of the day. Nine police teams are patrolling the highways in the district at night. The response to ‘Face Wash and Go’ is good as it is immensely helpful to prevent mishaps on highways, he said.
arun_josie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:14   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ‘Face Wash and Go’ initiative to prevent road mishaps on Guntur highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
[b]‘Face Wash and Go’ initiative to prevent road mishaps on Guntur highways:
Quote:
As part of the Face Wash and Go programme, the police will stop vehicles at designated places on the highways and ask drivers to wash their faces.
The vehicle drivers will be allowed to go after having a cup of tea.
I hope they don't ask drivers to wash their faces in cold water in the middle of winter! There'll be more fatalities due to pneumonia than vehicular crashes.

On a serious note, maybe they can also deploy breathalysers and speed guns at the same time.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 04:54   #123
BHPian

re: Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving

Today I received a whatapp forward and I felt the need to share the contents of the video

If someone has already posted this info in team-bhp, mods can delete this comment

The video I received provided details about the rise in highway accidents . There is a substantial increase in the number of fatal accidents reported as soon as the vehicle crosses Kerala border . By the time family member reaches the accident site/hospital , postmortem will be already completed.

Later it was found out that body parts/organs were missing and there might be a nexus between these culprits, police and doctors. The victims body will be already claimed by someone who fakes themselves as relative.

The video concludes by stating that there are people who keep track of vehicles entering/exiting state borders , toll plazas . They get the details about number of people traveling in the vehicle. Then they plan fatal accident in lonely areas along highways

Please be cautions during highway drives and plan your trip properly.
rahulskumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 22:39   #124
Senior - BHPian

re: Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving

Hello Bhpians,
I want help regarding Anti-Glare Goggles for Night Driving/Riding.

Came across many examples on Internet but could not identify genuine ones.

Please guide me.
Old 13th December 2020, 15:26   #125
BANNED

Re: Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving

Some tips for safer night driving:

1.Turn your headlights on before sunset and keep them on for an hour after sunrise.
2.Use full beams when you need them - but remember to dip your lights if there's
oncoming traffic.
3.Keep your windscreen and windows clean.
4.Take your time.
5.Have your eyes checked regularly.
6.Study the road ahead - watch out for pedestrians and vulnerable road users.
7.If you can, dim your dashboard lights and reduce reflections.
8.Restore Hazy Headlamps
9.Take regular breaks.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:19   #126
BHPian

Hi Folks!

This April I plan to drive to my hometown (Bhagalpur) from Bangalore. The standard route being Bangalore - Chittoor - Naidupet - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar - Kharagpur - Durgapur - Dumka - Bhagalpur.

Have 3 days on hand and the possibility to extend to a 4th one if required. Now, this entire stretch is known to get pretty hot during summer and that too during daytime can get really tiring.

So as an alternate, I was thinking of driving in the night and early part of the day alone. Here's a tentative plan:
  1. Day 1 & 2: Start from Bangalore about 2pm. 1st break at Tirupati by-pass by 6.30pm. Hit Naidupet by 9.30pm. Then drive as far as possible, may be take rest at a road-side dhaba / restaurant / toll plaza around mid-night. And then resume driving in the early hours (around 4 - 4.30am) and reach Vizag before noon.
  2. Day 3: After a good night rest and early breakfast, start from Vizag for a halt in Bhubaneswar, which is about 500kms. Plan is to reach Bhubaneswar by noon and then take shelter in a comfy restaurant / mall. Resume from Bhubaneswar by evening and reaching Balasore for a night halt later in the day.
  3. Day 4: Make an early start from Balasore to reach my uncle's place in Asasnsol (about 330kms) by noon and take halt. From here its another 200kms to Bahgalpur which I have done in the past and kind of home turf, so confident about this one.

My concern is primarily on the Day 1 when I plan to drive in the night on NH16, covering at least the Naidupeta to Vijayawada stretch in the night. Plan to take a halt after crossing Vijayawada and then continue from there in the morning to reach Vizag by noon. Another point of concern is that I'm travelling with my family.

Looking for your advice on the plan.
Old 30th June 2021, 11:23   #127
BHPian

Hi everyone. Looking for some night driving advice. I drive a 2018 Ciaz (with the LED head and fog lights). In city driving, I noticed that having the fog lights on really improves corner visibility, since the throw is quite wide. While many cars use the fog lights as passive cornering lights, the Ciaz unfortunately does not have this feature.
Do you think it is okay to drive with my LED fogs on? Not sure if they are blinding to other road users...or if I'd look like a total knob.
Old 3rd July 2021, 15:15   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slango97 View Post
Hi everyone. Looking for some night driving advice. I drive a 2018 Ciaz (with the LED head and fog lights). In city driving, I noticed that having the fog lights on really improves corner visibility, since the throw is quite wide.
I don't think that fog lamps (stock) will bring about any discomfort to oncoming traffic as they have limited throw, spread and beam hieght, the one's on the ciaz are even shorter on beam height due to its design.
HEMIOrange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 16:23   #129
Senior - BHPian

One thing I have learnt:
If the journey starts during daytime and extends into night, then it is better to stop for a break during the time when the sun is setting / darkness begins to descend. Continuing to drive at highway speeds during twilight time makes it difficult for the eyes to transition from seeing in bright daylight to seeing using headlights. Resuming the journey after it has become dark seems to help the vision to easily adjust.

Having said that, I prefer to avoid night time highway drives.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:04   #130
FHW
BHPian

Driving the roads with proper road dividers:
Low speed is all we need to drive safely at night if the roads are well lit, either by street lights or headlights.

Driving roads with both sides traffic:
We have to be extra careful while driving these roads. Not all oncoming drivers do greet you with low beams. Some people even don't bother to switch to low beam when they are close. Blinds due to oncoming traffic headlights can be very dangerous.

Like 'respect others and you will be respected', similarly if we blind the oncoming traffic, someone will blind us.
Old 4th November 2021, 11:33   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Hello Bhpians,

Came across many examples on Internet but could not identify genuine ones.

Please guide me.
Be very careful about these advertisements. There are lot of such products on Amazon etc. and they ate not backed by sound science. If you don’t normally wear spectacles there’s nothing more that any anti glare coatings can offer you. Especially avoid tinted glasses at all costs.
Old 6th November 2021, 11:30   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Assuming that the need is to cut the glare from headlights of oncoming vehicles, polarized plain glasses might help.

Polarized because it helps eliminate horizontal light rays, which cause the glare.
Plain to ensure that visibility is not affected, because coloured glasses can reduce visibility at night.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 15:03   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Today I received a whatapp forward and I felt the need to share the contents of the video

If someone has already posted this info in team-bhp, mods can delete this comment

The video I received provided details about the rise in highway accidents . There is a substantial increase in the number of fatal accidents reported as soon as the vehicle crosses Kerala border . By the time family member reaches the accident site/hospital , postmortem will be already completed.

Later it was found out that body parts/organs were missing and there might be a nexus between these culprits, police and doctors. The victims body will be already claimed by someone who fakes themselves as relative.

The video concludes by stating that there are people who keep track of vehicles entering/exiting state borders , toll plazas . They get the details about number of people traveling in the vehicle. Then they plan fatal accident in lonely areas along highways

Please be cautions during highway drives and plan your trip properly.
It is impossible to even imagine. Do such things really happen or many of us live in an alternate reality?
Old 8th July 2022, 18:17   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Disadvantages of Driving @ Night:

• Several vehicles don't have properly functioning headlights, tail-lights and brake lamps. Combine this with reduced visibility in the dark, and it's a recipe for disaster. Think of the number of times you've heard of someone driving into a parked truck at night. That doesn't ever happen in the day.
[/indent]
This is very important! Not even a boulder on the road will do as much damage as a parked truck. A crash with a boulder engages the longitudinal members and crumple zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
‘Face Wash and Go’ initiative to prevent road mishaps on Guntur highways:

This is a innovative idea by Guntur police to prevent accidents, especially between 1AM - 4:30 AM.Here is the complete news,
Source: New Indian Express

This is a result of Jugaadu and unscientific solutions to problems. If you are feeling drowsy there is no option except to pull over and take a nap for 15-30min. All other options give a false sense of security

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 8th July 2022 at 18:19.
Old 8th July 2022, 23:04   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

It's important to have excellent electricals including wipers, horn, head, fog (wherever applicable), tail, reverse and brake lights and turn indicators. These lights play vital roles and turn life savers during dark.

For long distance drives, it's always preferable to halt after dusk in the best town en route in a hotel with safe parking facilities. All said and done night driving during long distance drives need to be avoided.

For intra-city driving the usual precautions need to be always taken. Defensive driving during nights is safer as many drivers in oncoming vehicles tend to become more adventurous and sometimes rash post college/office/business/working hours, to overtly display their unsafe and unlawful driving skills in the dark, throwing safety norms to the winds.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th July 2022 at 23:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks