Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:03   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG

The fog season in North India is almost here.

Do make sure you have your lights in proper working condition, and refresh your memory on what to do (and what NOT to do).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 02:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i.../45631209.cms?

News paper article recommends turning on blinkers/hazard lights.
Old 25th December 2014, 07:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Even this is confusing:

Quote:
In case your car doesn't have fog lights, keep yellow cellophane paper handy. Stick it to your car's headlights and turn the high beam on.
Even for cars with fog lamps, none of them come with yellow lamps anymore.

Last edited by zenren : 25th December 2014 at 07:39.
Old 25th December 2014, 10:40   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The wording is a little iffy, but I think they are recommending that one turn on the hazard lights when pulled over and parked, not while driving.
Quote:
Pull over to the side of the road if you have no visibility. Turn on your emergency flashers, in addition to keeping your low-beam headlights on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Quote:
In case your car doesn't have fog lights, keep yellow cellophane paper handy. Stick it to your car's headlights and turn the high beam on.
Even for cars with fog lamps, none of them come with yellow lamps anymore.
Yet the author seems not to like yellowed headlamps...
Quote:
Over time, the headlights tend to turn yellow. To avoid that clean them with toothpaste and warm water.
Why yellow lights are not necessary...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
• Yellow plastic stuck on your fog lamps or headlamps is useless. So are yellow bulbs. Been there, done that, and enough research has been done to prove that doing this has no proven advantages. Read this article as further proof.
...but are going to reduce the effectiveness of your headlamps if you do use them. If there's surplus supply of yellow cellophane at home, and you like decorating your car... well then, Merry Christmas!
Old 25th December 2014, 11:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The wording is a little iffy, but I think they are recommending that one turn on the hazard lights when pulled over and parked, not while driving.
Here is the part where they suggested using blinkers while driving.

Quote:
2. See and be seen: Use your low-beam headlights. High-beams reflect off the moisture droplets in the fog, making it harder to see. Always have your tail-lights and blinkers on so that other drivers can spot your car and maintain safe distance.
Old 25th December 2014, 13:41   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Here is the part...
Sorry - I missed that bit. Keep harping on the fact that driving with blinkers in fog or otherwise is a strict no-no, yet for some reason the ill-informed people in authority and those who can reach the public easily (the media) keep insisting exactly on that.

This was in today's HT...

Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG-fog.jpg
Old 28th January 2015, 11:59   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

An overnight drive from Delhi to Lucknow along the Yamuna Expressway & NH2 over the Republic Day extended weekend meant we had to travel through some areas of moderate fog. Visibility varied between 100m to 200m - best estimated by the distance at which other vehicles' tail lamps, signboards and lane markings can be visualized.

Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG-dsc_0772.jpg

Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG-dsc_0776.jpg

The major irritation while driving was the copious use of hazard lights by almost every single motorist, most likely triggered by advisories at each toll gate, asking them to switch on *blinkers*.

Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG-dsc_0774.jpg

What may be remarkable is that no one remembered to mention about driving slow or putting up speed limit advisories, or asking motorists to switch on their fog lamps!! So we had numerous *blinkered* idiots driving past at 80-100 km/h in foggy conditions on high beam headlights, where my judgement called for speeds around 50-60 km/h or less.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th January 2015 at 12:06.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 11:13   #68
BHPian

Nice thread to start the LED Projector VS Xenon headlamps debate!

Still many people recommend using conventional headlights because they have better penetration in foggy conditions. How true is that?
Does the yellow light having better penetration than the white light! I would also research about the same, will post if i find something useful.
Old 7th June 2016, 15:52   #69
BHPian

Excellent article!

While driving with fog lights on when there's no fog is certainly a no-no, there is one benefit:

Even when there's no fog, on bad, narrow roads with oncoming traffic that refuses to dip their lights, switching on the fog lamps serves to illuminate the peripheral areas such as the edge of the road better and can prove useful.
Old 8th November 2017, 18:37   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.timesnownews.com/india/vi...ibility/121111

Happened this morning, as reported. The video clearly demonstrates how everyone seems to be driving blind and too fast, not following the 5-second rule.

From the time you can see/spot a fixed mark on the side of the road - a light post, road marking, stone etc. - you start counting "one thousand one, one thousand two...". If the front end of your car crosses the mark before you complete "one thousand five", you are going too fast.

Drive safe, folks.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 18:05   #71
BHPian

Going to Travel in Heavy Fog. Need Tail End Suggestions !

Hi All,

I'll be travelling to J&K by Road soon and from a recent trip to Amritsar & Pathankot, Have realised that its going to be pretty foggy. Luckily I was in my Accord which has good Tail Lights and hence any mishap was averted despite heavy Fog after Jalandhar all the way to Amritsar.

Now with my trip to J&K on the Endeavour, I might have issues as Endeavour Type 2 (built upto 2016) has bad & Low tail end lights which are not enough in my opinion for heavy fog with zero visibility areas and the upper light section just has turn Indicators with rest being empty.

So one thing I'm planning to do is Install LED lights in these Empty Slots.

Another thing I wanted to do was , Install some OEM rear Fog lights or LED lights at the backside on the Grills we install on SUVs Plus on the Top Spoiler too. Any suggestions & Inputs from anyone who has done similar change , especially related to Fog driving will help.

Thank You Everyone !

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2017 at 09:54. Reason: Too many language errors
delhi2009 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th November 2017, 23:11   #72
BHPian

Hi. Which part of J&K are you traveling to at night? Please avoid driving to Kashmir at night given the current security scenario. In fact driving from Pathankot to Lakhanpur will be quite challenging given the one way roads at many places and there is always heavy fog on that road. Try to avoid driving on it during night as well.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 10:41   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Going to Travel in Heavy Fog. Need Tail End Suggestions !

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Hi All,

I'll be travelling to J&K by Road soon and from a recent trip to Amritsar & Pathankot, Have realised that its going to be pretty foggy.
For a purely temporary DIY fix, buy 5/6 of the small cycling red LEDs from a good manufacturer or shop like Decathlon, and fix them to the back using the included straps.

Switch them to the blinker mode and you're done!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 10:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even Haryana Police tweets the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG-emc4qbwuyaaie1o.jpg  

Old 11th January 2021, 20:04   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG

Another winter, another fog season. Stay on the road, folks, don't stray off it. The best option is to stay at home, of course!

There was crazy fog on the night of 7-8 January 2021 as we were returning from Jaipur. We were held up near Dharuhera, at the Sukhdev Dhaba due to the farmers' agitation, and tried to bypass around the blockade via Rewari. Unfortunately, we were stuck in a heavy traffic jam when heading toward Rewari, and were forced to divert through narrow village roads, wherever Google Map would take us - waypoints showed Budana, Mirpur, Khor and at last, Pataudi.

With almost zero visibility (the dashcam images are enhanced automatically in the camera and so appear clearer), there were multiple times when the wife and daughter panicked. It was a slow drive taking almost 45 minutes, and this video shows the stretches which I thought had the densest fog.

As the driver, I don't think we were in any grave danger of crashing at any point of time (despite what the title seems to indicate ), but the video does make it appear scary at various times. The excellent focus of the LED projector beams and fog lamps of the Ciaz made for a lot less strain on the eyes, compared to my earlier cars with halogen lamps and fogs.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 11th January 2021 at 20:09.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks