Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 12:40   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post
Hey everyone,

2. If I know I have to stop at a signal, I'll put the gear in neutral, turn off my engine and coast to a stop.

4. At the top of the ramp/flyover, I'll again put the gear in neutral, turn off the engine and coast to the bottom by which time I would have enough momentum to keep going for atleast another 100 mtrs

6. Idling at red lights is a no no (I have an MPFI 796cc 3 cyl). I turn it off if I have to wait for more than 30 secs.

Comments??? Suggestions?

Buddy, arjyamaj, you are doing something very dangerous.

If you are switching off the engine, when the car is still in motion, the brakes become highly irresponsive and you lose atleast 70% braking efficiency. It can even jam in some extreme cases. You should not think about muscle power to control your steering. You will end up spoiling its mechanics!!! A car is meant to be driven ONLY with its engine on! Please don't treat it like a cycle!!!

Just imagine this scenario. You have switched off your engine about a 100 meters before a signal or on top of a flyover and you are coasting. Suddenly another car cuts in front of you. What will happen?

I can assure you that your steering won't work as you want it to, neither will your brakes. You will end up hitting the other car and the fault will naturally come to you! Worse still, what if a pedestrian comes in front of your vehicle?

You will end up spending all the money you saved by following these unsafe driving practices. Please drive safe. And consider others lives also before you do these practices.

See GTO's post. It is accurate.

Turning off the engine and re-starting it during a one-minute signal will cost you more fuel. The engine wear will also be quick.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:52   #152
BHPian

OK OK

However, in my defense, the following:-
Lets say when you're approaching a signal where you have to stop, you're already at 20kmph. Now, if you were to turn off the engine at that point of time, two things will happen:-
1. Your brakes will no longer be power assisted and
2. Neither will your steering

Essentially, response time to an exterior event (such as a jaywalking idiot or a manic punk) is lessened. So, what do you do? Stick to your lane (this helps if you're already in the lane you should be taking in the first place!) and expect that you will have to use a lot more force to maneuver the car.

Now, come on guys... its an ALTO!!! I've been used to driving Amby's (see my introductory post)- how difficult is it really to steer an Alto without power steering? I'm not saying that I could beat all of you in hand-wrestling (I'd probably lose every time) but it really doesnt take a lot of doing. We're all just used to power steering and feather touch responses.

Next- brakes. Try this sometime. Start your engine, let it idle for about 30 secs. Turn it off. Now pump the brakes. You'll notice that for the first (depending upon your car) 3-4 times, the brakes work fine- as in they go all the way down. After that, it kinda gets stuck at the halfway point and it wont go down any further. That's when the hydraulics in the lines stop working. What does this mean? This means that after you turn off your engine, you still have enough fluid pressure in the braking system to bring your vehicle to a rolling stop from 20-30 kmph to 0.

If all of that still doesnt make sense, check these out-
http://www.kotv.com/news/topstory/?id=126884 - a news story about hypermiling
This Guy Can Get 59 MPG in a Plain Old Accord. Beat That, Punk. - a story about a guy who gets the equivalent of 25 kmph in a Honda Accord!
Fuel economy-maximizing behaviors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - this is possibly the best writeup on hypermiling yet

yes yes... bring on the brickbats now
Old 10th April 2008, 05:48   #153
BHPian

Some points I could throw up ...

Next time you get your oil changed, have the air filter checked as well. Replacing a dirty air filter with a clean one can save up to 10 percent on fuel costs.

Make sure your vehicle is in top running order. Read your owner's manual and follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule. If it's time for a tune up, do it and you can realize up to a 4.1 percent increase in fuel economy.

Using the manufacturer's specified motor oil, and changing it per factory recommendations, can improve fuel economy as well, so grease up.
The less weight in your vehicle, the better your fuel economy. Clean out that trunk!
Here is the ultimatum
Cool down. Fill your tank up on cool mornings. Fuel is denser when cold. Fuel pumps measure by volume, so if you pump when it's cold, you get more gas for your hard earned money.
Old 15th April 2008, 16:24   #154

Does the colour (or color (just so people can find this post by searching ) ) of the car affect Fuel Efficiency? It is quite logical that Black absorbs more heat and hence will require more air conditioning to dissipate the heat which in turn translates to more fuel consumption.

I have already made a booking for a black SX4 and after having thought about black's heat absorption capacity, I was wondering if I should change my booking to some other lighter colour (silver or beige, maybe).

Please advise!
Old 15th April 2008, 18:06   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunson View Post
I have already made a booking for a black SX4 and after having thought about black's heat absorption capacity, I was wondering if I should change my booking to some other lighter colour (silver or beige, maybe).

Please advise!
3 of my 4 cars are black, I can tell you that the only downside is more upkeep (time and $$$). But it is well worth it.
Old 15th April 2008, 18:42   #156
BHPian

Hey sunson. The color of the car has nothing to do with the FE. Agreed that black absorbs more heat than any other color, but then its only on the external. My two cents. Guys correct me if i am wrong.
Old 16th April 2008, 08:48   #157

Dear GTO, I anyway went ahead and made a confirmation yesterday for the Black SX4. Like you rightly said, its well worth it and I guess I might lose something negligible and I think the loss definitely won't be on the order of 1 kmpl or somesuch. It might be some sort of a fraction. Wondering if you guys know of any appreciable differences. Maybe I should start a poll!

swift8847, well It depends on how the heat transfer happens to the interiors. Haven't you noticed that when you park your car in the sun, the insides feel hot? The other factor to consider is that the air inside the bonnet will tend to be more hotter for a black car and hence the air-intake density will be lower (hence lower fuel efficiency). I could get a better air-intake duct (like has been pointed out in the 'modifying your car' related threads).
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:28   #158
BHPian

6 Ways You are wasting gas.

6 ways you're wasting gas - May. 21, 2008

~LT
Old 24th May 2008, 17:44   #159
Senior - BHPian

6 Fuel-saving myths

Quote:
Since the fuel prices in India too are seeing a lot of pressure, here's what CNN compiled.
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With gasoline prices hitting record levels, it seems everyone has a tip on how to save fuel. Much of the advice is well-intentioned, but in the end, much of it won't lower your gas bill.

Here's a look at a few misconceptions:

#1. Fill your tank in the morning

You may have heard that it's best to fill your gas tank in the early morning while the fuel is cold. The theory goes that fluids are more dense at lower temperatures, so a gallon of cold gas actually has more gas molecules than a gallon of warmer gas.

But the temperature of the gasoline as it comes out of the nozzle varies little during the course of the day, according to Consumer Reports, so there's little, if any, benefit, to getting up early to pump gas.

#2. Change your air filter

Maintaining your car is important, but a clean air filter isn't going to save you any gas. Modern engines have computer sensors that automatically adjust the fuel-air mixture as an increasingly clogged air filter chokes off the engine's air supply.

While engine power will decrease slightly as the air filter becomes clogged, a lack of performance or an increase in fuel consumption will be negligible, Consumer Reports says.

#3. Use premium fuel

With prices already over $4.00 a gallon, premium gasoline is a hard sell these days. But a lot of drivers think because their owners' manual recommends premium, they'll get better fuel economy with it. Really, they may be paying more money for nothing.

Newer cars for which premium is "recommended" - but not "required" - won't suffer with regular fuel. Modern engine technology comes to the rescue again. When sensors detect regular instead of premium fuel, the system automatically adjusts spark plug timing. The result is a slight reduction in peak horsepower - really, you'll never notice - but little or no reduction in fuel economy.

Always check your owner's manual before putting anything into your car. And if your car runs badly on regular, by all means, go back to the pricey stuff. (See editor's note at bottom)

#4. Pump up your tires

Proper tire inflation is important for a number of reasons. Under-inflated tires are bad for handling and can even cause a crash. Improper tire inflation also causes tires to wear out faster and to heat up more, which could trigger a dangerous high-speed blow-out.

According to on-the-road driving tests by both Consumer Reports and auto information site Edmunds.com, underinflated tires reduce fuel economy, so proper inflation is key.

But you should never over-inflate your tires. They'll get you slightly better fuel economy because there will be less tread touching the road, reducing friction. But that means less grip for braking and turning. The added risk of a crash isn't worth the extra mile a gallon you might gain.

#5. To A/C or not A/C

There's no question air-conditioning makes extra work for the engine, increasing fuel use. But car air conditioners are much more efficient today than they used to be. In around-town driving, using the A/C will drop fuel economy by about a mile a gallon.

Meanwhile, driving at higher speeds with the windows down greatly increases aerodynamic drag. As speed increases, drag becomes more of an issue, making A/C use the more efficient choice at high speeds.

At most speeds and in most vehicles, A/C use drains slightly more fuel than driving with the windows down, contends David Champion, head of auto testing for Consumer Reports. "My final take on is that it's very close," says Phil Reed, consumer advice editor for Edmunds.com. "It's hard to measure the difference and every vehicle is different."

The best choice - if temperature and humidity allow - is to keep the windows rolled up and to turn the A/C compressor off. You can keep the fans running to blow in air from the outside, but your car will be as aerodynamic as possible while still letting you breathe. You will save gas, but the fuel economy improvement will be slight.

#6. Bolt-ons and pour-ins

Before you buy a device that's supposed to make your car more fuel-efficient or pour in an allegedly gas-saving additive, ask yourself this: Don't you think oil and car companies aren't doing everything they can to beat their competitors?

If BP (BP) could add something to its gasoline that made cars go farther on a gallon, cars would be lining up at the company's pumps. Sure, people would burn their fuel-saving BP gas more slowly, but then they'd drive right past rivals' gas stations to come back to BP for more. BP stations could even charge more for their gas and still sell tons of the stuff.
So if there really was an additive that made gas burn up more slowly, it wouldn't be sold over the Internet one bottle at a time.

Likewise, car companies are already spending big bucks to increase fuel mileage. If General Motors could make its cars go significantly farther on a gallon simply by putting a device into the fuel line, don't think for a second it wouldn't be doing that. GM's car sales would go through the roof.
"There are a number of these gas-saving devices that are generally useless," says Champion.

But drivers who try them will swear they work. In reality, it's probably an automotive placebo effect, says Reed. Buy one of these devices or additives, and you're like to pay extreme attention to your fuel economy and how you drive.

Of course it can't hurt to keep a close eye on your driving habits -- and what kind of car you drive. In the end, that can make the most difference in saving gas.

-Editors note: This story was revised from an earlier version to clarify that the advice to use regular gas instead of premium may not apply to all cars

Source
Old 25th May 2008, 08:49   #160
BHPian

GTO ,

Real imformative stuff . I had read in think in the maruti manual where it said that you should keep the fan speed at 2 while using aircon as it then reduces the load and thus increases the fuel effciency .

I am not sure how true it is practically , but i for past few years always have used in lvel 2 fan speed with aircon .

Also on the filter bit i am little over informed and hence confused . I have heard and read K & N , but frankly as a lay man do not know what and where and how it helps . As all the threads are little technical and i am not getting the basic understanding right .

It could help if we have a very simple lucid write up and guide for non techie guys like me . Seek some help on this

I drive a scorp currently ..

Regards .. Kat
Old 25th May 2008, 11:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Also on the filter bit i am little over informed and hence confused . I have heard and read K & N , but frankly as a lay man do not know what and where and how it helps . As all the threads are little technical and i am not getting the basic understanding right .

It could help if we have a very simple lucid write up and guide for non techie guys like me . Seek some help on this

I drive a scorp currently ..
Kartik, let me put it very simply: you don't need a K&N for your Scorpio unless every millisecond of gain in performance matters to you.
These filters will 'allow' more atmospheric dust into the engine, and diesel engines do not take very kindly to dust in the cylinders (that's where fuel is burnt to produce energy).
Are you seriously in need of additional performance from your vehicle?
Old 26th May 2008, 13:24   #162
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
GTO ,

Real imformative stuff . I had read in think in the maruti manual where it said that you should keep the fan speed at 2 while using aircon as it then reduces the load and thus increases the fuel effciency
The higher the blower speed, the harder the compressor will work and make whatever difference to your FE. Here are two discussions on the same topic:

Link 1

Link 2
Old 26th May 2008, 13:31   #163
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

hi anup
so you dont use a K&N in your scorp?
and can I take it that you personally dont recommend the same if every millisecond of performance gain doesnt really bother one?
I am also not keen on allowing the scorp engine to suffer with dust and impurities. Quite happy to stick with the paper filter if you recommend the same as a more seasoned Scorp user than i am
(frankly Ive put this K&N replacement filter in my Swift at a cost of 5000 bucks) - I cannot really see any difference in performance given the typical city driving conditions i operate in.
let me know your thoughts

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Kartik, let me put it very simply: you don't need a K&N for your Scorpio unless every millisecond of gain in performance matters to you.
These filters will 'allow' more atmospheric dust into the engine, and diesel engines do not take very kindly to dust in the cylinders (that's where fuel is burnt to produce energy).
Are you seriously in need of additional performance from your vehicle?
Old 26th May 2008, 13:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
and can I take it that you personally dont recommend the same if every millisecond of performance gain doesnt really bother one?

I do not endorse use of such filters which reduce the air pressure drop across the filter.
Having spent a lifetime running marine diesel engines, I can say that it is considered completely 'unacceptable' practice if we do not pack in the stipulated quantity of copper mesh by weight into the T/C suction filters. And less is considered a more serious 'crime' than overstuffing! Too low a pressure drop across the filters (yes it is a monitored parameter) invites immediate censure!
However, here, we are dealing with personally owned vehicles. People are free to decide what mods they want and what life expectancies they need from their rides.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:38   #165
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

aye aye sir!
receiving you loud and clear!
message understood!
cheerio
over and out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I do not endorse use of such filters which reduce the air pressure drop across the filter.
Having spent a lifetime running marine diesel engines, I can say that it is considered completely 'unacceptable' practice if we do not pack in the stipulated quantity of copper mesh by weight into the T/C suction filters. And less is considered a more serious 'crime' than overstuffing! Too low a pressure drop across the filters (yes it is a monitored parameter) invites immediate censure!
However, here, we are dealing with personally owned vehicles. People are free to decide what mods they want and what life expectancies they need from their rides.

Most Viewed