Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 22:58   #391
BHPian

Hi GTO - Thanks for the information. Am posting this 4 years after to let you know the information is useful and very relevant as are lots of things on TBHP.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:59   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkiedonk View Post
BHPians,

10) Use the 10-1,20-2,30-3,40-4 and 65-5 technique for gears. I bet you will find a marked difference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly do not think of any car as a public transport. Drive it for pleasure.If you are looking too much at economy, then there is no point wasting 7-8 lacs on buying a car. You might be well off with the thook-thook or the state buses..

@ point 10, I try to shift to 5th gear in my 10yr old ZEN at 40 KMPH itself if possible. Is it correct? Please correct me if this is wrong. I am a newbie buyer and driver.

Fantastic point ! what is the point in buying a car if one is so worried sick about FE every moment inside a car?

Regards

Srikanth
Old 16th February 2010, 00:01   #393
BHPian

Better FE is also an enjoyment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
what is the point in buying a car if one is so worried sick about FE every moment inside a car?
I said the same thing in my twenties and thirties. Now in my forties, I would say that challenging yourself to achieve a better FE is an enjoyment in itself!
For example one way to hypermile is to avoid using the brakes. But this needs a lot of forward planning and a lot of skill and of course a lot of patience!
And when you break your own record, you feel like celebrating!
(I can get 16.5 kmpl in my Civic-AT).
Old 16th February 2010, 10:27   #394
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I would say that challenging yourself to achieve a better FE is an enjoyment in itself!
Sir,

You could not have put it any better!

Of course FE is a big criteria for most Indians when they put their money into a car. I do believe that deriving better FE from a vehicle shows concern and respect for our environment.

Hats off to you if you can get 16.5 kmpl from your Civic.

Regards,
gpa
Old 16th February 2010, 10:49   #395
Senior - BHPian

I agree totally. I have always taken pride from the FE figures of my bikes and cars. We don't buy a car simply to burn the rubber, there are a lot of other reasons involved. If our public transportation is anything like that of Singapore's, I would sell my vehicles tomorrow!

That does not mean I would not have fun from my car / bike, I do open up now and then on the highways. But that is an exception. I always try to minimize the use of any resource, it is in my nature! And I do believe it is more of a virtue and not a vice!
Old 16th February 2010, 11:30   #396
BHPian

idling at signals

I have a maruti 800 (mpfi, 2001).

As I understand it cars consume some additional petrol when they are started.

My query is that when I stop at a signal and I can predict the likely waiting time when should I switch the engine off? 30 sec, 1 min. Or something else.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:41   #397
Senior - BHPian

I don't believe it is worth while to switch off if it is a minute or less. Even otherwise, switching off at signals will not be possible if you have the A/C running.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:42   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
I don't believe it is worth while to switch off if it is a minute or less.
The duration of a "minute or more" was for older cars/engines - I remember reading this duration in the PCRA literature in the mid/late eighties. For today's cars, anything above 15 seconds is considered good enough.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2010, 13:54   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The duration of a "minute or more" was for older cars/engines - I remember reading this duration in the PCRA literature in the mid/late eighties. For today's cars, anything above 15 seconds is considered good enough.
But what if we consider the one minute idling required for modern diesel engine when starting and stopping? How practical will it be in the red traffic light scenario?
Old 16th February 2010, 13:57   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Modern day turbo charged Diesel cars need at least 90 sec or more to make it a reasonable switch off stop. It requires 30 sec of idling before switching off while stopping and 10-15 sec at least of an idle after starting to move.
Old 16th February 2010, 14:13   #401
Senior - BHPian

My mistake - I should have clarified that my statement was in the context of petrol cars.
Old 16th February 2010, 14:17   #402
Senior - BHPian

Even for my petrol engine, I find it very uncomfortable to switch off the engine - thereby the A/C as well - in the Chennai weather.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:37   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Even for my petrol engine, I find it very uncomfortable to switch off the engine - thereby the A/C as well - in the Chennai weather.
Gansan, what say when the car is non ac, 800 cc, petrol.

And comfort factor apart and other factors being equal, what is the technical answer to my question.
Old 16th February 2010, 16:14   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Gansan, what say when the car is non ac, 800 cc, petrol.

And comfort factor apart and other factors being equal, what is the technical answer to my question.
I would still say if the duration is < 1 minute, the petrol used while re-starting the engine will wipe off any savings made during the switch off.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:27   #405
BHPian

It seems the discussion is concentrated on the stopping of vehicles to conserve fuel at traffic lights.
Can any of you seniors guide me in the first doubt I asked: Is it OKay to shift to 5th gear in Maruti ZEN or am I straining the engine by shifting too early ? The FE aimed, will it change if I go to 5th gear only after 50KMPH? It is very difficult me to get to 50 KMPH here in Trivandrum and being a newbie driver doesn't help either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks