Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 13:26   #526
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) Clutch overhaul for an esteem is not very expensive.
2) Why do you doubt timing? if you have done the tune up? I suggest you try one of the recommended shops by TBHPians in Mumbai once.
My doubt is based on my experience with vintage bikes, I once had a problem where I experienced a shudder when releasing the clutch due to a retarded timing.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:11   #527
Team-BHP Support

What i meant was timing would/should be checked as part of engine tune up. That is basic step.
Old 16th May 2011, 19:51   #528
BHPian

Gonna head to a mechanic I know on Saturday and get the following checked: (If I have missed anything out, please do lemme know)
Carb overhaul - With a new carb kit (jets, packing/gaskets etc)
Ignition check up - Spark plugs, timing
New air filter
Health of the cat con
Oil change
Clutch health

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
^^ This was the case with my 97 Zen too. I got the engine tuned and started changing gears at higher RPM's and found the car giving a little better FE !
Thanks, Will try this out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What i meant was timing would/should be checked as part of engine tune up. That is basic step.
True that, but I somehow don't trust the work that was done by Chamunda Motors, MASS - Borivali, Mumbai (maybe its my inexperience with 4 wheelers that's talking). The car seemed the same to me, before and after the servicing. Wonder if anyone on the forum has had a good/bed experience there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
with 10 KMPL i meant with AC on petrol. Atleast, thats what i was able to get out of my carb zen !
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
On a similar note, in traffic I personally have never got more than 9-10 KMPL with the carb esteem in city traffic.
This is something I believed as well, untill I read that some folks on the forum are getting much higher FE from their Esteems. Should I take the figures posted with a pinch of salt?
Old 17th May 2011, 14:47   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post

This is something I believed as well, untill I read that some folks on the forum are getting much higher FE from their Esteems. Should I take the figures posted with a pinch of salt?
You might get 11 - 12 without AC if you play with the carb AFR settings (smaller jets, play with idle mixture screw). Also the MPFi esteems give slightly better mileage than the 8V carb esteems so some of the figures quoted can be of the MPFI esteems. On the highway you can get around 14-16 depending on what speeds/rpms you drive.

I'd suggest don't worry so much about FE, give it a good tune up and enjoy the car
techn0l0gist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 16:17   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
clutch, Please tell me I'm wrong... Or is it just a retarded timing?
I used to own a carburetor esteem. Its very easy to change the spark timing, all you have to do is slacken two small bolts. From my experience the car used to drive well with a little retarded timing than what the mechanics used to set with their timing light for petrol and little advanced timing for running on LPG. Also a probable reason for low mileage could be a stuck centrifugal advance or leak in the vacuum advance.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:36   #531
BHPian

Hello Team,
I own a July 2010 Hyundai i20 CRDi Sportz.
On average I get 16 KmpL. Being high way or in city with 100% A/C.
Mileage is going down compare to last few fills.

Need your expert advice on how the mileage can be improved.
Let me know if you need any information. Thanks all !!!

Below is the tracker for information.
ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-fueltrack.jpg

Last edited by classicselva : 18th May 2011 at 12:40.
Old 24th May 2011, 18:07   #532
BHPian

My recently acquired Linea MJD is returning around 10-11 KMPL, I am a tad disappointed as everybody that I know who owns a car with the same engine get upwards of 15 KMPL atleast.

My car has done 1500 kms till date and the service advisor says that will get 15+ post first service.

My previously owned Swift VXI returned similar FE which went up marginally after service.

Can it really increase by 40%-50% after servicing??

I admit that I have not driven a diesel car before, a mere 4 yrs with the Swift and loved it.

Can some one pls suggest

Regards
Old 25th May 2011, 09:02   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvrajit View Post
My recently acquired Linea MJD is returning around 10-11 KMPL, I am a tad disappointed as everybody that I know who owns a car with the same engine get upwards of 15 KMPL atleast.

My car has done 1500 kms till date and the service advisor says that will get 15+ post first service.

My previously owned Swift VXI returned similar FE which went up marginally after service.

I admit that I have not driven a diesel car before, a mere 4 yrs with the Swift and loved it.

Can some one pls suggest

Regards
Suvrajit - is your car driven in the right RPM band (1600 to 2200 RPM). Please try it out and see the difference.
Old 25th May 2011, 09:06   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvrajit View Post

You are driving a diesel for the first time. Thats the difference. In diesels you need to use the torque more. Over revving the engine is not going to help much. There are threads on this forum as how to get maximum out of a diesel.

Do not expect a quantum leap in FE after the servicing.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:42   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Suvrajit - is your car driven in the right RPM band (1600 to 2200 RPM). Please try it out and see the difference.
Thanks Dieselfan, I have taken your advice on running in a diesel engine quite seriously and trying to keep her at that 1600-2200 rev band, while trying to do this in city traffic conditions, I at times feel that the engine is over revved.

I am at a total loss ....

Regards
Old 25th May 2011, 11:43   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
You are driving a diesel for the first time. Thats the difference. In diesels you need to use the torque more. Over revving the engine is not going to help much. There are threads on this forum as how to get maximum out of a diesel.

Do not expect a quantum leap in FE after the servicing.
Thanks, you think that you have the link to that handy as I am unable to find any?

Regards
Old 25th May 2011, 12:23   #537
BHPian

Thanks to the FE figures of the recently acquired italian beauty, I have finally become a proud "Bhpian" albeit after 4 years of entering the scene...

Team BHP simply rocks when it comes to the quality of knowledge of the automotive world, even otherwise, I used a link from shifting gears on BSNL landline and got my self one ordered from web without ever visiting them at all!!!

Regards
Old 26th May 2011, 11:53   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Dieselfan,

While trying to keep to the RPM range of 1600 -2200 I often end up driving only in 2nd or third gear in the normal city driving conditions in namma bengaluru, this should be impacting mileage possibly. I clock around 2.2K RPM to hit 40 on 2nd and upshift. Upshifting any sooner let the tach fall below 1.5 and i start getting worried of lugging.

I drove my Swift in a constant rpm of 1500 -1800 and got around 10-11 KMPL.

Need expert advice on how to transition this change effectively!
Old 26th May 2011, 13:58   #539
BHPian

@Suvrajit: Personally i would not worry about lugging at 1.5k rpm. 1.5 is not exactly the healthiest rpm, but should be good enought to have decent pickup.

Also, mileage will depend heavily on the kind of roads you drive. I used to stay around old Bangalore and used to get arund 14kmpl (without AC) while now living in a slightly farther area with better roads and i get 16kmpl or 17kmpl also sometimes(again without much usage of AC - with Indica Diesel).
So, roads and traffic, make a big impact.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:52   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
@Suvrajit: Personally i would not worry about lugging at 1.5k rpm. 1.5 is not exactly the healthiest rpm, but should be good enought to have decent pickup.

Also, mileage will depend heavily on the kind of roads you drive. I used to stay around old Bangalore and used to get arund 14kmpl (without AC) while now living in a slightly farther area with better roads and i get 16kmpl or 17kmpl also sometimes(again without much usage of AC - with Indica Diesel).
So, roads and traffic, make a big impact.
@deep bang, thanks, yes I live around old bangalore, Banashankari to be precise.

Exactly my thought, AFAIK there is no way to expect a decent FE driving mostly on 2nd and 3rd gear.

I hope that the service guys to manage to do some magic and the goverment with the roads to improve things further!

Regards

Most Viewed