Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:05   #556
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Thanks Vijay for summarizing.
Just sharing my thought on the bold part -

In my car (Polo 1.2 p) I don't upshift @1500 rpm, because if I do, this results in engine lugging (except 1st & 2nd gear). The car will pull but one can easily feel that its taking ages to gain speed. Moreover, engine lugging is not good for any car engine.

The increase in mileage I quoted in one of the above post is based on tank-full method (less than half empty tank) and I upshifted ~2000 - 2250 rpm.

No idea about other cars though.
Sorry I meant to say shift @ 2k rpm so that the engine rpm will fall back to 1500rpm then floor the throttle till it gains speed to 2K and repeat the same process. I would be happy if my car gives double digit mileage

Regards,
Vijay
Old 27th June 2011, 00:48   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Sorry I meant to say shift @ 2k rpm so that the engine rpm will fall back to 1500rpm then floor the throttle till it gains speed to 2K and repeat the same process. I would be happy if my car gives double digit mileage

Regards,
Vijay
Hi Vijay,

No sorry , you did a great job by posting the link and yes, using 75% throttle is indeed a pleasant experience.

But yes, as GTO pointed out in the initial post, all the factors even if contributing a 0.5% increase in better fuel management, together it`ll add up to ~10% or more FE on our cars, which is quite a significant increase !

Which car you are referring to ?

EDIT : Oh yes, I noticed your ride, no idea and the least I can say is - one of my very close friend used to own one of these and he was very happy with the car expect this one aspect. And in his case it was 6-7 km/l

Last edited by AvonA7 : 27th June 2011 at 00:50. Reason: edit
Old 29th June 2011, 10:28   #558
BHPian

6-7 is too less it should give anywhere between 8~10kmpl. Recent highway trip the car gave 12kmpl but its tough to keep below 120kmph so I am not complaining.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:18   #559
BHPian

Being a retired person on a slender(given today's prices scenario) pension, threads such as this one are very close to my heart!I drive a 1997 carburetted Esteem, which I try to maintain in good tune.Apart from maintaining correct tyre pressure/avoiding zoom off & slam on brakes style of driving etc, I have found that shifting up rapidly( sorry, cant give rpm figs since my car does'nt have a rpm meter) & into the 5th gear the moment the speedo touches 40km has consistently given me 14kms/litre +, without A/C, in dense city traffic. I shift to the 5th gear even if its only for 20-30 mtrs before I have to shift down again.I have repeatedly verified this mileage so its no fluke.
Kamal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:23   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Perhaps this link will change our minds of less fuel consumption W.R.T light throttle.

Browser Warning

As you can see at light throttle fuel consumption is increased as compared to 50% and 100% throttle. I can conclude we can get more mileage by shifting in the pattern 1-3-5 and keep the throttle wide open to reduce fuel consumption. I am yet to try this method and my gave gives 8.5 kmpl in city traffic with 90% A/C

Regards,
Vijay
Thanks for the article Vijay, it was really informational!

The article talks about recycling exhaust gases - i think this technology is being used currently in Formula 1.
Old 17th August 2011, 18:43   #561
BHPian

i10 Kappa2 Horrible FE figures after first service

My i10 Kappa2 (Asta 1.2 model) has done 2000 kms thus far. I never measured the FE before 1st service. After 1st service, I did a full-tank method and got horrible figures of 7.5 kmpl.

I do run the car with 100% AC, mostly at blower position 1 and with varied temperature settings but still these figures are ridiculous. I also owned the previous Kappa engine AT Sportz which used to give better mileage. I have Plati alloys with Yoko 165/80R14 tires. Do any other BHPian have similar experience? Is FE expected to increase after 2nd service?
Old 17th August 2011, 19:27   #562
Senior - BHPian

Re: i10 Kappa2 Horrible FE figures after first service

If you never measured the FE before 1st service, how are you concluding that the FE has reduced after the service ? Maybe you were getting 7.5kmpl earlier also, just that you were not aware of it, due to not checking. Though 7.5kmpl for the i10-MT is quite low - are you sure you were not cheated at the petrol pump while fuelling ? Do try a few more iterations and report back. Also, try another method of FE check - set tripmeter to zero when the low-fuel yellow lamp comes on, then fuel a known quantity and drive around till the low-fuel lamp comes on again. Tripmeter reading divided by fuel put should give you the FE.

BTW, what figures did you get on your previous AT model ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th August 2011 at 19:30.
Old 17th August 2011, 19:40   #563
BHPian

Just curious. Doesn't the Asta model come with a MID on the console? What does it report? Not that it is always accurate, but it should not be way off.

Just take it to the highway and check the mileage after a running of 50-100kms by fill-tankful-refill method at the same pump.
Old 17th August 2011, 21:30   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If you never measured the FE before 1st service, how are you concluding that the FE has reduced after the service ? Maybe you were getting 7.5kmpl earlier also, just that you were not aware of it, due to not checking. Though 7.5kmpl for the i10-MT is quite low - are you sure you were not cheated at the petrol pump while fuelling ? Do try a few more iterations and report back. Also, try another method of FE check - set tripmeter to zero when the low-fuel yellow lamp comes on, then fuel a known quantity and drive around till the low-fuel lamp comes on again. Tripmeter reading divided by fuel put should give you the FE.

BTW, what figures did you get on your previous AT model ?
I have not concluded in my post that FE reduced after 1st service. I merely stated the FE after the 1st service.

I will take your suggestion of fueling at different pump and check it again.

My earlier AT was giving 8-9 kmpl under similar driving condition (100% AC, congested city traffic). Fueling was done at the same pump. It had OEM tires kept at 33 PSI.
Old 17th August 2011, 21:36   #565
Senior - BHPian

sbiswas was any injector / throttle body cleaning done during the first service? That might mess up something. You should get almost twice the FE you reported from the MT i10.
Old 17th August 2011, 21:53   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Just curious. Doesn't the Asta model come with a MID on the console? What does it report? Not that it is always accurate, but it should not be way off.

Just take it to the highway and check the mileage after a running of 50-100kms by fill-tankful-refill method at the same pump.
Asta does not report FE on the console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
sbiswas was any injector / throttle body cleaning done during the first service? That might mess up something. You should get almost twice the FE you reported from the MT i10.
AFAIK there was no such cleaning done during service but I will check with the shop. Although Hyundai is advertising 20 kmpl I was expecting around 11-12 kmpl with AC. I am shocked now.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:23   #567
BHPian

Funny that this thread came up. I was visting relatives in Kolkata over the weekend and they too have an i10 (1.2 model). The mileage of the car just came up in a casual conversation and they quoted a figure of 8 kmpl. I found that pretty low but they mentioned that the car is always driven with AC on and primarily within the city (where traffic is quite congested). So I don't think that you are alone.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:33   #568
BHPian

Few points from my end with regards to your issue.

1) Try a new Fuel station, may be a station which is well known in your city and has received good feedback from other customers.
2) I'm not sure of what is your fuel tank size, but trust me i was shocked when one of the service advisors did an experiment with me. The present day cars have high air pressure in the fuel tanks, when the fuel station is trying to do a full tank, the nossle auto stops when your tank is full. But here comes the catch, your tank is actually not full yet!!! Shut the tank lid, take the car for a 400-500 meter spin, return to the fuel station and to your suprise another 1 or 2 litres of fuel will easily go inside the fuel tank.(1-2 litres varies from one car to another, my friends swift tank capacity is 43 litres but the tank can actually hold 44.4 Litres, and he now gets a FE of 21KMPL with a DDIs engine!!)
3) Like some one suggested above use your trip meter and check everytime you do a full tank to full tank calculation.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:48   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas
I have not concluded in my post that FE reduced after 1st service. I merely stated the FE after the 1st service.
Maybe it was the impression conveyed by the thread-title (Horrible FE figures after first service).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas
I will take your suggestion of fueling at different pump and check it again.My earlier AT was giving 8-9 kmpl under similar driving condition
Sure, try this and let us know. Given the car and the traffic conditions you mention, it should give atleast anything between 10-12kmpl. The 7.5kmpl you mention is too low for this car.
Old 17th August 2011, 23:25   #570
BHPian

As far as I know, Hyundai does virtually nothing on the I10 during the first service. When I gave my I10 1.2 Kappa 2 Magna for its first service, all I was asked is if I had any issues/problems with the car. Then the car was sent for a wash and I got it within 2-3 hours. The actual service of the car took place during the SECOND service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks