Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2006, 10:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Just wanted to check out whether placing the car under hot sun for the entire day will result up in drying off the fuel (atleast to some negligible extent)
I do not think so, usually the fuel tank is a sealed system in modern cars. I believe the emission norms also specify the evaporative emissions also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Also I was heard that improper wheel allignment will result in more consumption of fuel, not sure about the logic behind this, any idea?
Well, if the wheel alignment is off, one or more of the tires will be fighting against the smooth vehicle movement. Obviously the tire wears out very quickly and the increased rolling resistance or drag will affect the FE.
Old 14th October 2006, 13:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

i think fuel tank has got a vent to let air in as the car consumes fuel. there is a possibility for more vapourizing when car is always left in hot sun. might reduce total fe but cant say how much.
Old 31st October 2006, 00:19   #48
BHPian

That was very impressive article GTO.

Good learning for first timers like me. I would like to know what is the correct tyre size for Esteem. I understand that older esteem where shrod with 155/80 13 and the newer Esteems are shrod with 175/70 13. My question is whether should I go for the 175/70 13 or should I stick to the stock 155/80 13 on my Esteem. Will upsizing to the current stock tyres will result in drop of FE
Old 31st October 2006, 10:40   #49

Good Recommended Fuel station list

Hello,

I am not sure if such thing already exists.

I suggest we all should contribute in making list of good (unadulterated) petrol pumps. Normally member knows good fuel station (many times company owned) in his town/city. If we can arrange such list city wise it will not only help other members from same city but also help members from other cities if they happen to visit other city.

Team BHP should help us to keep compiled list city wise, highway wise at central location as currently we see all recommended station names are spread across threads and difficult to locate. This will go a big way in improving fuel economy and overall condition of the car.

Hope everyone will agree to this suggestion.

Thanks & Regards.
Old 31st October 2006, 22:57   #50
BHPian

You are right sportive_guy30. I am sure all of us have the list of petrol pumps that we like to visit and some petrol pumps that we would never visit even if we were in dire need. I know of 3 petrol pumps in Mulund (mumbai) and Thane area which provide unadultreded fuel.

When ever I have filled by bikes at these pumps I have got a better FE then others, Hence I have always tried to stick to these pumps.

One is located at the LBS Marg Mulund, Opp Chedda Petrol pump
Second is at Ghodbhunder Road, Opp Cinewonder Multiplex
Third one is at the Sion Circle.

I hope this infomation is helpful to some bhpian living in Mumbai
Old 15th November 2006, 14:54   #51
BHPian

To add to this, be sure to get the fuel filled in the petrol pump which offers right quality and quantity
Old 16th November 2006, 08:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

what is the approx waiting time for which switching off the engine is better than idling ? bcos frequent off and on of engine also causes engine wear , right ?
Old 11th March 2007, 18:11   #53
BHPian

The answer is highly disputable... but I'd venture and say - One minute.
As per Maruti Swift manual.
Old 11th March 2007, 19:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

Surprise,

What you said is very valid. Try and fill up fuel early mornings or late at nights (I prefer early mornings).
Old 11th March 2007, 20:47   #55
BHPian

Well! Today was the first time i ever filled the car early in the morning. The pump was set on full tank, autostop, before the autostop clicked, fuel burst out of the tank. I was like wow! And I really think I got more coz of the density! I like it. Had to pour water outside the fuel lid to wash off the petrol.
I'll try to continue filling up full tank early in the morning.

-Absar
Old 11th March 2007, 22:30   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Well! Today was the first time i ever filled the car early in the morning. The pump was set on full tank, autostop, before the autostop clicked, fuel burst out of the tank.

Ummmm......i think that sounds more like a pump malfunction that a benefit of filling when its cooler temperature!!

Howstuffworks "How does a gasoline pump at a filling station know when the tank is full?"

cya
R
Old 12th March 2007, 07:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Well! Today was the first time i ever filled the car early in the morning. The pump was set on full tank, autostop, before the autostop clicked, fuel burst out of the tank. I was like wow! And I really think I got more coz of the density! I like it. Had to pour water outside the fuel lid to wash off the petrol.

-Absar
I thought the density of the material was more as the surface remained cool. How can the quantity increase.. Is this right.. can someone comment on this please
Old 12th March 2007, 08:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
I thought the density of the material was more as the surface remained cool. How can the quantity increase.. Is this right.. can someone comment on this please
Density = Mass / Vol
What you pay is for the Vol (in litres)...When the density is high you get more mass of the chemical components in a lit of volume which otherwise is lesser during hotter temperature...
More molecules per lit means more combustion for a lit of fuel and hence more FE...

Hope that clears your point....

Abhi
Old 12th March 2007, 09:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportive_guy30 View Post
Hello,

I am not sure if such thing already exists.

I suggest we all should contribute in making list of good (unadulterated) petrol pumps. Normally member knows good fuel station (many times company owned) in his town/city. If we can arrange such list city wise it will not only help other members from same city but also help members from other cities if they happen to visit other city.
Indeed such thread exists.
Check it out
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...rol-pumps.html

You can also search for other similar thread by using Search Option
Old 12th March 2007, 10:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the question about density and volume, wasn't there a article a year ago wherein it was mentioned that petrol stations made crores of rupees by not adjusting the volume to temperature ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks