Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 20:35   #661
BHPian

Re: Figo TDCi mileage issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

I don't know if fuel flow is displayed-it is displayed as FL i think- you can count it by comparing with another car.

You can monitor the exact coolant temperature also- both this may give an idea about what is happening/differing from your friend's figo.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know such a OBD exists in the figo. On going through the diagnosis, didn't notice any error in the readings vis-a-vis my friend's car. The engine was idling at ~750 RPM. Battery was charging at 14. Rest everything seemed to be ok(with whatever I understood).
Still stuck.
Old 21st September 2014, 21:47   #662
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post

The engine was idling at ~750 RPM. Battery was charging at 14. Rest everything seemed to be ok (with whatever I understood). Still stuck.
How is the air filter?

Did read you previous post that you upshift between 2000-2400 RPM. I'd suggest stick to 2000RPM upshift and downshift near about 1500 RPM.

Tyre pressure is correct.

Anurag.
Old 21st September 2014, 22:13   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How is the air filter?

Did read you previous post that you upshift between 2000-2400 RPM. I'd suggest stick to 2000RPM upshift and downshift near about 1500 RPM.

Tyre pressure is correct.

Anurag.
Air filter was replaced at 20k scheduled maintenance and is cleaned regularly at 4-5k kms. Will try to upshift early but that takes away the charm of driving a diesel
Old 21st September 2014, 22:15   #664
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post

Air filter was replaced at 20k scheduled maintenance and is cleaned regularly at 4-5k kms. Will try to upshift early but that takes away the charm of driving a diesel
I know that but you either choose the chat or FE.

I don't clean the air filter but replace it every 10K kms. Not able to locate the thread where I read, if cleaning is not done correctly then it can damage the filter element letting in dust etc.

So look at the EGR and MAF sensor once.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 23:09   #665
BHPian

My Figo is relatively new. Just a couple of months old. Done 2200Kms & is due for it's first service anytime next week.

I am getting a tank to tank fill mileage of 12.60kmpl. The Figo's got a huge fuel tank capacity in comparison to it's competitors in the market. One tank fill of approx 40 Ltrs. my vehicle runs 510 Kms.

However, what is strange is that when my car's fuel tank reads '1/2 tank', my vehicle has already done 350Kms and the rest of the tank empties in the next 150-170Kms. Why is that so ? Can anyone enlighten me on this or is this just an observation of mine with no relevance. Confused
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:58   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
My Figo is relatively new. Just a couple of months old. Done 2200Kms & is due for it's first service anytime next week.

I am getting a tank to tank fill mileage of 12.60kmpl. The Figo's got a huge fuel tank capacity in comparison to it's competitors in the market. One tank fill of approx 40 Ltrs. my vehicle runs 510 Kms.

However, what is strange is that when my car's fuel tank reads '1/2 tank', my vehicle has already done 350Kms and the rest of the tank empties in the next 150-170Kms. Why is that so ? Can anyone enlighten me on this or is this just an observation of mine with no relevance. Confused
Does the DTE vary in a linear pattern?
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:05   #667
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

I am not sure about all other cars, but even I have experienced this.

Thing is, the float in the fuel tank (which is the basis of showing the fuel gauge reading) usually gets submerged when we do a tank full. And it stays in that level until the fuel actually falls below the float position. Hence the gauge also shows the same reading.

This could explain the reason why the first half looks like it reduces at a different rate compared to the second half. What I've also seen if that once the float is out of its submerged position, the readings are pretty correct.

Do note that this also holds good the other extreme when the fuel goes low. The float's range usually doesn't extend to the bottom of the tank - so you end up seeing that the 'E' mark is reached even when there's some amount of fuel left in the tank.

HTH!
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:08   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Does the DTE vary in a linear pattern?
I haven't checked the pattern of the DTE yet. Will keep it in mind and shall keep a check on it.

Also, am thinking of testing it the crude way once by :
1.) Refilling the tank when the reading shows 1/2 tank and see how much fills and what mileage I get, &
2.) Refill the tank once almost empty when the warning light comes on and again check how much fills and what mileage I get

It may so happen that i get to notice something out of this entire exercise.

Keeping fingers crossed !
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:43   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
2.) Refill the tank once almost empty when the warning light comes on and again check how much fills and what mileage I get
In Figo, the low fuel warning light comes up based on DTE and not the quantity of fuel left. So no point using this as a reference point.

Eg: if you are driving in the city, FE= 14 kmpl(assume), so warning light will come up when 80/14=5.7 litre fuel is remaining.

But if it is highway driving, then FE=19 kmpl, the same will lit when 4.2 litre diesel remains.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 13:05   #670

What you said about engine oil is true because an engine with contaminated and overused oil will drastically increase friction on the pistons.
Old 14th April 2015, 15:07   #671
BHPian

I came across this Autocar India video made with the support of Shell.
This video has an expert from Shell clarifying facts of improving efficiency.

Few of the points grabbed my attention
- he says, we should switch off the engine if the wait time is greater than 10 seconds.
- he claims the additives added by Shell helps keep the engine clean (all of you can share your real time experience on that)
- a section explaining engine oil's role

Last edited by sumeshmani : 14th April 2015 at 15:10.
sumeshmani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:46   #672
BHPian

Interesting Video Sumeshmani !!

Definitely informative and proves a lot of myths to be myths only; directly from the Fuel manufacturer's point of view.

However, I still believe and know for a fact that calibrations also differ from manufacturer to manufacturer and pump to pump as per industry norms (there is a lot to it which we as customers are not aware of). So, we need to be careful on what we fill from where as well.
Old 14th April 2015, 18:12   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I came across this Autocar India video made with the support of Shell.
This video has an expert from Shell clarifying facts of improving efficiency.
I agreed with most of it, except when the shell person said that warming up engine is not necessary/wastes fuel. What about the turbo-charged cars? Taking care of the turbo will be more important that saving few drops of fuel during idling.

Idling should be done at start-up and shut-down incase of turbo cars. Idling at signals is a plain waste of fuel.
Old 12th June 2015, 14:21   #674
dcs
BHPian

Maruti Zen MPFi Fuel efficiency issue.

Greetings!

I drive a 2002 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LXi (MPFi) which has around 162 thousand kilometers on Odometer.

I have been getting a fuel efficiency in the range of 14- 17 kms to a liter of Petrol ever since and looking at the traffic conditions and my way of driving, I have been pretty much satisfied with the figure. Yes, it certainly burns a hole in my pocket but at this point in time, I can not afford to buy anything better.

The car goes through the periodic oil & filter change on time. Have visited Spiti twice on the car and the performance has been decent, if not flawless. I recently did a 1500 kms trip to Delhi-Chitkul-Kalpa-Delhi, the fuel efficiency still was bearable, if not marvellous.

The reason why I am starting a thread is- for the past week or so, the fuel efficiency has gone down Drastically.
  1. The car, like I said, is serviced properly.
  2. There is absolute no Clutch malfunction, the plates were replaced around 10000 kms back.
  3. Wheels are balanced and aligned.
  4. There is absolute no change in either the traffic condition, the routes taken, the driving style.
  5. There is no new or strange or major noise from the engine.
  6. Have tried filling fuel from 4-5 different pumps, but with no difference in performance or efficiency.
  7. The car is performing correctly, other than this Fuel Efficiency issue.

While I used to clock around 225-250 kms in a fill of 1000 earlier, now it is not delivering more than 150 kms in a fill of 1100, in the similar conditions.

What could be the possible issue and the possible remedy, if there is any.

Looking forward for some valuable suggestions.

All cheers
dcs
Old 12th June 2015, 14:40   #675
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Zen MPFi Fuel efficiency issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs View Post
Greetings!

I drive a 2002 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LXi (MPFi) which has around 162 thousand kilometers on Odometer.

The reason why I am starting a thread is- for the past week or so, the fuel efficiency has gone down Drastically.
Dear dcs,

Have you confirmed correct tyre pressure?

Please check the fuel hoses for leakage.

When did you last change the spark plugs? This too could be the reason.

Is air filter cleaned / replaced at required interval?

Did you change the make and grade of the engine oil recently?

When you start the car in the morning, do you see white smoke for a minute?

After a cold start, the idling speed of the engine is higher but it settles down after a few minutes. Please tell whether the idling speed is steady or varying after it settles down?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks