Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 16:10   #361
BHPian

I guess the best option is to keep the tank always above the half mark and as mentioned by Raccoon get it down to 4-5 litres every quarter. Maintaining fuel above the half point would also prevent rust formation in the tank, if I am not mistaken.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:24   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How can this be accomplished? There always will be some fuel in the tank.

Will it be a good idea to maintain the tank half full, and top up as soon as it reaches this mark? For me this will be about once a month. Can this cause any issues?
What I meant by “emptying” means that you should go the lowest possible safe fuel level 3-5 lits (in most cases) before refueling.

Actually the idea is to have minimum amount of stale fuel in your fuel tank to reduce gum build up in fuel tank, lines & carburetor/ fuel injection components.

Keep in mind that stale fuel rapidly catalyzes and aids rapid decomposition of the newly added fuel. Hence try to deliberately "empty" your tank at least once in a quarter.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:38   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
Maintaining fuel above the half point would also prevent rust formation in the tank, if I am not mistaken.
This applies only to those cars which run below normal mileage in a month. For cars which run atleast 500kms a month no such precaution is required.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:52   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Looks interesting. Where is this available? 2.5% error is acceptable. I would want one of these just to get a basic idea of the FE. A real-time FE readout would probably help fine tune my city driving.
Highway driving is usually pedal to metal and 'to hell with FE' in my case, but the car always returns 16 kmpl.
EDIT: The device itself looks a little badly put together esp with the exposed wire. Can the display screen be mounted in the dash. In my swift, I'd prefer to put it below the HU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Seems like an intriguing device. Am keen to know where I can get this.

Kindly shed some light on the same.

Thanks in advance,
gpa
There is already a device called Scangauge.
Here are some links:

ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...n-gauge-6.html
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:39   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
There is already a device called Scangauge.....
Indeed there is. But there is some amount of pleasure to be derived from building and configuring a DIY and I'd like that. Plus, why ship it from abroad when you could build one?
Prasad, what about further details.
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:02   #366
BHPian

Quote:
I am very interested in knowing how you have worked this out. Could you give us some details?
In case you are looking for Beta testers, I volunteer. If a DIY device works with an error of just 2.5%, it certainly has my .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Prasad,

You have come up with a good device.

I too volunteer in case you need a beta tester. What are the bugs you are facing in terms of the software? Is this something your planning on ironing out soon?

gpa
Quote:
Indeed there is. But there is some amount of pleasure to be derived from building and configuring a DIY and I'd like that. Plus, why ship it from abroad when you could build one?
Prasad, what about further details.
First of all I want to apologize for not responding for a long while. Things kept me too busy.

I very much thank for your encouragement and offers for testing. At present I only have my prototype. I shall definitely get back to you a little later on.

I am using a small microcontroller in the device that takes signals from vss and injector drive. At present it works fine. Had a problem just once, when the total fuel logged was zeroed unexpectedly, giving junk data for fuel averages. Have done about 650km since and the problem has not repeated, but its too early. Should be a bug in the code, and am trying to fix it.

As of now, the device is designed for Alto only, but should be very easy to adapt to any vehicle.

The accuracy of about 2.5% is my estimation. My efforts to calibrate fuel consumption thru' MASS (two of them) have not been fruitful, since they didn't seem very enthusiastic. Driving style may affect accracy, since only one injector signal is used. (This is to minimize interface requirements).

I started this out for fun about 2 years back, but after one or two initial tests had to be kept in cold storage for want of a test vehicle (All cars I had access to at that time were carb types. I got my new Alto only in Mar09). MASSs were not helpful either.

I have heard about OBD in newer cars, but I could not confirm whether cars like Alto conforms to it. Any info is very much welcome.

Prasad.
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:23   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This applies only to those cars which run below normal mileage in a month. For cars which run atleast 500kms a month no such precaution is required.
How come? If you run it for 500 KM per month but fill only 10 litres per week (as and when it touches reserve), the top half of the tank can still rust. This may not happen anytime soon though, as I think the tanks are galvanized.
Old 1st October 2009, 03:19   #368

Great Article. Though one query.
I own an Accent GLS 2001 Model. The clutch has been a regular trouble in it. Its giving me an mileage of 7-8 kms. Though the engine has done only 23000kms (SHOCK). So I took to an experienced mechanic. He drove it around for 2 mins. He was ready with sad news. I needed a new clutch plate, pressure plate, gas kit, cylinder. Estimated cost Rs 8-9K. He says the mileage has been eaten up by the problem and it'll gimme around 12 after the repair. Any suggestions ?
Old 1st October 2009, 09:55   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobarboss View Post
I own an Accent GLS 2001 Model. The clutch has been a regular trouble in it. Its giving me an mileage of 7-8 kms. Though the engine has done only 23000kms (SHOCK). So I took to an experienced mechanic. He drove it around for 2 mins. He was ready with sad news. I needed a new clutch plate, pressure plate, gas kit, cylinder. Estimated cost Rs 8-9K. He says the mileage has been eaten up by the problem and it'll gimme around 12 after the repair. Any suggestions ?
Clutch can get burnt in a matter of 100 kms. I have seen many inexperienced drivers burn their clutch within 100-200 kms. It can also last as long as 80000 to 100000 kms. I suggest take the car to a Hyundai Authorised Service center and get the problem checked/corrected. HASS is affordable and dependable.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:09   #370
BHPian

Quote:
7-8

are you driving with your left foot on the clutch?
Old 1st October 2009, 16:03   #371
BHPian

Quote:
What is the gas kit that is referred here? How does the car behave when revved? Do you see the RPM shooting up and no increase in pick during driving?
Old 1st October 2009, 19:46   #372

Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
What is the gas kit that is referred here? How does the car behave when revved? Do you see the RPM shooting up and no increase in pick during driving?
Guys the mechanic took about 24 hrs to make the repairs. The following things were replaced.
1. Clutch Plate
2. Pressure Plate
3. Master and Slave Cylinders
4. Gear bearing
+ Gear oil

I must say the guy has done a tremendous job on it. Its back to what it was when I rode it 2 years back. He showed me all the worn out material. And great news too, after surfing about 50 threads on the similar issue, I found out that every thing the guy did was indeed recommended here by BHPians.
He charged me exactly Rs 9000.

Well about the improved mileage ??? I'll post about it asap. Needs time.

I'm based in Pune. The mechanic is a very trustworthy guy. Repairs every vehicle. Sheikh Patel Mob. No. 9822406225. Quarter Gate, Nanapeth. Hope others can benefit from it. I must tell you that none of the Authorised Centres could do anything about it in 2 years and multiple checkups. Cheers.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:17   #373

Very informative to say the least. Also, what about choosing the right products for your car's exterior. People usually make do with cleaning it with rugs and car washes. Any recommended products?
Old 19th December 2009, 19:44   #374

Ford Fiesta..How to suck every drop of fuel

BHPians,

I have been reading reviews on the Ford Fiesta. I am no Pro-Ford and I own one.According to me the car is a thumbs up.It can give a good mileage if one knows how to drive it. Few tips here.

1) The fuel gauge indicator-Distance to Empty- Do not be under the impression that its not working. The car calculates the last 100 km of drive.If you have driven sensibily that it can go to show you 800-900 km on a full tank.

2) The car is best driven at engine rpms between 1800-2200 revs.The best economy is at this rate.

3) the cooling is pretty fast and it shows a barely 80 rpm increase when turned on. Remember to put a heat absorbent material on your dashboard or a sun shield on your windscreen.

4) Do not brake suddenly. Braking consumes fuel and same with overtaking SUDDENLY. Sudden acceleration are worst just like if you are walking and then asked to run all of a sudden.

5) The car has excellent dynamics in comparison to Honda city.It can leave a Honda city way behind while turning on bends and curves. Do not do abrupt turns as they show in the ads.Thats only good for ads but if u r looking to save fuel then avoid it.

6) Check your tyre pressures periodically w.r.t the passengers on board.A good idea to have a inflator with a gauge in your trunk. Best deflate Air and fill in some Nitrogen for those long drives and you would see the difference.... a big change.

7) Take that foot off that clutch pedal.

8) Once the car has attained the required speed keep that right foot off the accelerator pedal.Albeit keep it light without having pressed it. You can see this from your RPM indicator.

9) Change gears smoothly. Do not be in a haste.You will only end up screwing yourself.

10) Use the 10-1,20-2,30-3,40-4 and 65-5 technique for gears. I bet you will find a marked difference.

11) Priodically conduct all mechanical and electrical checks yourself. Rats mice can play havoc.. My personal experience-a rat chewed off the wires to my Auto shut off of the Fuel tank.

12) Fuel tank- Remember that when you are filling up fuel- Fill during late at night or early morning, see that the hand nozzle is set at LOW this will help you get more fuel for the same money.A high setting can cause Vapours inside the tank which gas/bubble up.

Lastly do not think of any car as a public transport. Drive it for pleasure.If you are looking too much at economy, then there is no point wasting 7-8 lacs on buying a car. You might be well off with the thook-thook or the state buses...On a recent drive from Mumbai-Mangalore with an average speed of 90-100 kmph with AC ON/OFF 50% of the time i clocked 18.5 kmpl. I thought it was worth the ride...

Cheers!!!
Happy Driving.Be safe!! Take care of yourself and others.
Thanks & Regards,
Old 19th December 2009, 20:28   #375
BHPian

Good tips not only for Fiesta, but in general too.
Quote:
6) Check your tyre pressures periodically w.r.t the passengers on board.A good idea to have a inflator with a gauge in your trunk. Best deflate Air and fill in some Nitrogen for those long drives and you would see the difference.... a big change.
I am thinking of filling nitrogen in my car's tyres.Do the tyres need to fully deflated before filling in N2.?What difference does it make to car w.r.t handling, FE etc.?
Quote:
7) Take that foot off that clutch pedal.
Not possible given the back to back traffic condition I am usually forced to drive in.My car give FE <10 in such conditions.It's still in running in perios though.So I expect it to improve after first servicing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks