Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 08:22   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Consumption on Ford Fiesta(1.4P) shot up post AC Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeymist View Post
Since it was quite some money i got it checked with Carz and they agreed to repair the compressor which they did at 6k and AC works perfect now
2) The fuel consumption have shot up incredibly. I am not sure if its any-way linked to this, but wanted to check.
I doubt the Compressor repairs done by Carz as they have charged a measly amount as compared to the Ford quote. The fuel consumption may be linked to the compressor over working to deliver the required cooling. Another way to look at is the Fuel quality which I assume must be still the same as it was previous.

A trip to workshop will reveal the actual reasons for drop in mileage.
Old 5th October 2012, 08:28   #617
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I doubt the Compressor repairs done by Carz as they have charged a measly amount as compared to the Ford quote. The fuel consumption may be linked to the compressor over working to deliver the required cooling. Another way to look at is the Fuel quality which I assume must be still the same as it was previous.

A trip to workshop will reveal the actual reasons for drop in mileage.
As described by carz: they have sent the compressor on to a lathe to open it up and check for the sealant or defective parts..they have replaced a defective part/sealant and assembled back & fixed to my car..

I also checked for my Lancer as the compressor wasn't working in full capacity and they said they can do a Overhaul of the compressor - haven't tried it yet. They quoted 6.5k for that..

Yes, true, will drive it to A.S.S this week end and keep posted on developments..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Fuel consumption can go up by 10% when the A/C is operating. Check your coolant levels & top up.

The A/C repair guys must have put in extra A/C gas to satisfy the customer. This causes more load on the engine & makes it work harder than usual. Though you get good cooling (better than before) the down-side is much increased load on the engine.
Will get the gas levels checked may be that helps. May be thats the reason the fan is also running on high speed most of the time.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2012 at 14:19. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 26th October 2012, 13:43   #618
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

I got a chance to check my vehicle at Ford A.S.S today and they are yet to comeback on what is the main reason behind the high fan speed and high fuel consumption. The service adviser claimed it might be because the compressor is not done well at Carz..Fingers crossed on what resolution will Ford A.S.S will offer me.
Need suggestion from experts here, if they suggest to change the compressor, should i change the compressor outside sourcing it from the OEM or should i consider repairing the existing compressor again..If i have to change the compressor, where can i source a guianine OEM compressor for Ford Fiesta in Bangalore
Old 26th October 2012, 14:10   #619
BHPian

Well on same topic, I am too experiencing low mileage in city with AC on. Sometimes as low as 6-7km/lit on my Ford Fiesta 1.4.

Yes, I have also noticed rev up of cooling fan every 15mins. Now this could be normal but I am just trying to diagnose the problem.

BTW is there any ECU MAP update for 2007 models for Ford Fiesta 1.4
Old 27th October 2012, 08:37   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth_menon View Post
Well on same topic, I am too experiencing low mileage in city with AC on. Sometimes as low as 6-7km/lit on my Ford Fiesta 1.4.

Yes, I have also noticed rev up of cooling fan every 15mins. Now this could be normal but I am just trying to diagnose the problem.

BTW is there any ECU MAP update for 2007 models for Ford Fiesta 1.4
Mine wasnt that low any time..The low i am exp now is 8-9km/lit on my 1.4p EXI. It was usually in the range of 10-11 in the city with aircon on.

Switching on of AC fan every 15 mins seems alright to me but you may want to check the gas levels once and also timer if its working well..

I dont have a clue on ECU MAP update..I can check with the A.S.S today.

BTW- i got an update from ford that they rectified the problem and the total costed around INR.3400..Will get to know what exactly what has been done today..will keep posted.
Old 27th October 2012, 21:01   #621
BHPian

Re: Fuel Consumption on Ford Fiesta(1.4P) shot up post AC Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
....I doubt the Compressor repairs done by Carz as they have charged a measly amount as compared to the Ford quote....
The reason for the massive price difference is that Ford does not repair the compressor, they only replace it. I was given a simliar estimate of ~ INR 40k when i had a leak in the compressor outer oil seal.

But, Ford themseleves recomended i get the seal replaced by any AC workshop. So i did, and the seal, evaporator (original was leaking), oil and gas, gaskets, filters, etc... were replaced and it cost me ~ INR 8.5k. AC now works ok but not as great as before.

BTW, recently, i too have my radiator fan kicking in all the time, just minutes (3-4) after starting, even after washing. I wonder what that's about. (car: 2006 Ford Ikon 1.3 ROCAM Flair)
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:38   #622
Senior - BHPian

Found a couple of links on fuel economy on the web.Interesting thing to note is that according to study in a modern engine having a dirty air filter does not decrease the fuel economy but does have a impact on performance.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/debunkin...-20120716.html

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml
Old 25th December 2012, 21:37   #623
BHPian

Few tips, might work best on car used.

Do not use brakes :-) as far as possible, speed control using gears.
Swich on aircon 2 min after startup.
Use climate control, set temperature close to 22,23 deg
If possible, do not use aircon.
Accelerate steadily, do not stress engine.
DieselDelight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 11:39   #624
Senior - BHPian

Worth reading.

http://www.pcra.org/English/transport/drivingHabits.htm
Old 31st July 2013, 19:50   #625
BHPian

A good initiative:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 3rd August 2013, 07:58   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

I found this one interesting.

Do not park a car so that you have to reverse with a cold engine This will consume more fuel.

Small , but useful tip from the article.
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:35   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
I found this one interesting.

Do not park a car so that you have to reverse with a cold engine This will consume more fuel.

Small , but useful tip from the article.
I have not read the article, but I assume the logic here would be that if you are covering "x" meters of distance in reverse, you have to do that in only one gear & that is the reverse gear. Obviously to move fast you will have to revv the engine a bit in reverse gear, which is not at all advisable for a cold engine. However if you move forward the same distance, you get a chance to upshift (higher gears means lower fuel consumption) & lesser input to the throttle.

I return home everyday after 11:00pm. It is very difficult to reverse in the dark. Hence I straight away drive my car into the parking. In the morning I take the car out in reverse for almost 80-100 feet, but it suits me as taking car in reverse through the narrow passageway in daylight is much more convenient than during the night time. Hence I would stick to reversing the car when engine is cold, but make sure I don't revv it unnecessarily.
Old 12th September 2013, 00:53   #628
BHPian

Absymal fuel efficiency from Swift Vdi

Greetings to tbhpians,

I own a Swift Vdi 2012 model which has clocked some 22000 km so far. It is plagued to very low fuel efficiency of 13.4 kmpl(by swift's standards). The trouble started after my 20000 km service at M.A.S.S wherein my car was filled with 500 ml excessive engine oil which was rectified only after the car had covered some 800 km post servicing. The entire ordeal of servicing issue can be seen at the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-naraina.html

Prior to service, the car was returning a healthy efficiency of 18.5-19.5 kmpl in the very same conditions it is being used now. I have done a little of standardization and basic checks to ensure that the drop in fuel efficiency is not because of some error on my part:

1. The efficiency has been checked from full tank to full tank method. While the digital gauge shows efficiency to be 14.xx kmpl, the actual calculation reveals an efficiency of 13.xx kmpl.

2. The tank was filled and refilled from the same pump, same nozzle, almost same time, regular diesel and with auto cut off. The pump is well renowned and a close friend's Swift Vdi 2012 regularly refilled from the very pump is returning a healthy 20kmpl.

3. The car is being driven with the lightest accelerator pedal, correct gear changing and no idling with a/c on. The gears are being changed anywhere from 1400-1900 rpm taking care of no engine lugging at any time.

4. Only idling being performed is 30 sec on starting and 30 sec prior to switching off as a precautionary step to let the turbo cool off.

5. The car is bone stock including tires, rims, and any electric system.

6. I got the oil filled to correct amount and oil filter replaced right in front of me after the M.A.S.S goof up during 20000 km service.

7. While getting the oil changed and filled to correct level, I got the compression test done too, the results were 190, 200, 210, 200 for the four cylinders(pardon for forgetting the units in the check gauge).

I would be taking it to M.A.S.S again, but this time wish to go after doing a detailed homework with your help so that I am not taken for a ride. I am new to diesel engines and still learning the technicalities of owning my first diesel engine car. Your suggestions and diagnosis are readily sought and welcome.

Regards

PS: Dear Mods, tried searching for the same issue before creating this thread but was not able to locate one discussing similar problem. If required, please move the thread to appropriate place. Posted it here since it pertains to a technical query not discussed previously.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:58   #629
Senior - BHPian

Re: Absymal fuel efficiency from Swift Vdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
I own a Swift Vdi 2012 model which has clocked some 22000 km so far. It is plagued to very low fuel efficiency of 13.4 kmpl(by swift's standards). The trouble started after my 20000 km service at M.A.S.S wherein my car was filled with 500 ml excessive engine oil
Excessive oil won't result in such a drastic reduction in fuel efficiency (FE). If I am not wrong the current FE that you are getting has been measured over 3-4 tankfulls at the same bunk. I am assuming you are filling fuel at more or less the same timings (perhaps by the same pump attendant). Since your friend is getting very good FE from the same pump, can you try the following:
1. Change the timing of filling fuel (so that you come across a different attendant & a different dispensing unit).
2. Measure the FE for next 3-4 tankfulls.
3. If that doesn't make any difference, change your bunk & again measure the FE for next 3-4 tankfulls.
4. If that too doesn't help, then there is definitely some issue in the car, which might have been induced after your 20K service.

By the way did MASS replace the air filter during 20K service. Please note a clogged air filter can drastically impact the FE. You can DIY & observe the filter for any debris, dust etc. If you have the slightest doubt replace your air filter with a new one & then check the FE.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 23:02   #630
BHPian

Re: Absymal fuel efficiency from Swift Vdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
1. Change the timing of filling fuel (so that you come across a different attendant & a different dispensing unit).
2. Measure the FE for next 3-4 tankfulls.
3. If that doesn't make any difference, change your bunk & again measure the FE for next 3-4 tankfulls.
4. If that too doesn't help, then there is definitely some issue in the car, which might have been induced after your 20K service.

By the way did MASS replace the air filter during 20K service. Please note a clogged air filter can drastically impact the FE. You can DIY & observe the filter for any debris, dust etc. If you have the slightest doubt replace your air filter with a new one & then check the FE.
Thanks for sharing the points AutoIndian.
But, my tank full to tank full calculations are in agreement to what is being displayed by the car's computer on the display. The attendant can at most shortchange me for a few liters, but that should not affect the fuel efficiency displayed at the meter console.
Yes, I checked that air filter was changed at 20k service interval. Infact, the old air filter was in pretty bad shape. So, I have made a note to get the air filter changed at every 10k km service esp in delhi's dusty environment.
Still clueless of why this low fuel efficiency.

Wondering if any other tbhpian ever faced such a problem.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks